2017-2018 University of Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting! It's weird because 1/19 interviews heard back two weeks ago, but 1/26 interview still not hear anything back, but we shall keep waiting!

I interviewed 1/26 and heard back Thursday!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if I am correct, but I heard that January 26th interview date was canceled. I may or may not be confusing it with another medical school. Please correct me if I am incorrect!

Well I was there on the 26th but I have no clue haha. Interestingly enough on their calendar they don't have an Interview Day listed for 1/26, so like I said, I have no clue!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 1/26 interview date still not heard anything?

Congrats to those accepted, and good luck to you guys still waiting to hear back! I'm a current M1 at UT, and I remember how terrible it was in this weird limbo. I interviewed January 6th 2017, was waitlisted February 14th, and then accepted in June so theres still a lot of time left. I'm on the accepted student Facebook for those of you in there and I'm experiencing the new curriculum firsthand so let me know if you guys have any questions. Hang in there!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those accepted, and good luck to you guys still waiting to hear back! I'm a current M1 at UT, and I remember how terrible it was in this weird limbo. I interviewed January 6th 2017, was waitlisted February 14th, and then accepted in June so theres still a lot of time left. I'm on the accepted student Facebook for those of you in there and I'm experiencing the new curriculum firsthand so let me know if you guys have any questions. Hang in there!
Hey Natibarr, what do you think of the new curriculum, student life at UTCOM, and the Toledo area? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
How do they first notify you of a decision? Is it via phone, email or portal?

Hey Natibarr, what do you think of the new curriculum, student life at UTCOM, and the Toledo area? Thanks!
So they're still working on some parts of the curriculum with the feedback we've been giving them, but all around I think its definitely going to be better for our Step prep and preparing us for clinicals. We're doing NBME type finals at the end of every "Thread" or semester essentially so we're used to the question typing and we're getting involved with direct patient care now also through a mentor type pairing with different physicians. I'm from California so I wasn't sure what to expect with Toledo, but it's definitely growing on me (I've never scraped ice from my windshield so that was an experience). There's plenty of programs to get involved with depending on what you're interested in and honestly all the staff I've met at the hospital love teaching and are super helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone from the 1/26 interview date still not heard anything?

I still have not heard back. I know @Doglovr2433 interviewed 1/26 and was accepted. I also saw on their FB page that two others from the 1/26 date were added to the page. But I have yet to hear back and I think they will get back pretty soon. I've gone crazy waiting, and hearing others get accepted has made me question why I hadn't received anything yet lol!

Congrats, and thanks for doing this! So my question is, what did you do from FEB 14th when they waitlisted you to JUNE when they accepted you!!? Like by mid May, I wouldn't have thought I was getting accepted let alone in June, so you must have had a plan B? Were you just going to take a gap year, or were you accepted elsewhere, or what? Also, on the FB thing, roughly how many of those members would you say are M1's and how many are actually incoming students, I see names but I have no clue (other than profile pic) if the person was an M1 or a new student. Just how time-consuming is med school at UT? Thanks again!

So they're still working on some parts of the curriculum with the feedback we've been giving them, but all around I think its definitely going to be better for our Step prep and preparing us for clinicals. We're doing NBME type finals at the end of every "Thread" or semester essentially so we're used to the question typing and we're getting involved with direct patient care now also through a mentor type pairing with different physicians. I'm from California so I wasn't sure what to expect with Toledo, but it's definitely growing on me (I've never scraped ice from my windshield so that was an experience). There's plenty of programs to get involved with depending on what you're interested in and honestly all the staff I've met at the hospital love teaching and are super helpful.
Thanks for the helping info! With the clinical aspect for M1 students, do you actually get to perform patient assessments or is it more like shadowing/patient history? Do you know if you're going to be doing more and more types of assessments as time goes on?
I know a lot of schools are proud that they provide clinical experience from the first year, but I heard that for some schools its really a lot like shadowing, so you don't do much. I just want to know if that's the case at Toledo with the new curriculum.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed in Feb heard anything?

Has anyone who interviewed in Feb heard anything?
There are still people who interviewed in January who haven't heard anything, so I don't think anyone from February has yet.

Interviewed on 2/2 and just got accepted! Low MCAT and mediocre GPA (LOLZ). Don't lose hope or let people discourage you on here! Good luck and vibes to everyone!!!!

Interviewed on 2/2 and just got accepted! Low MCAT and mediocre GPA (LOLZ). Don't lose hope or let people discourage you on here! Good luck and vibes to everyone!!!!
Via email or portal?

Congrats!!! Would you mind saying if you are OOS?

Last edited:
Question: Does UT have dedicated dates to releasing decisions, or is it just something that comes in batches? I.e. will there be more decisions released this month, and if so are the designated dates for them? Or is it just release decisions on a rolling basis type of thing? Am I making sense?

I interviewed on March 2nd and they said they were behind. They told us that we would find out in 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Just accepted a few hours ago! Interviewed 1/26

Reactions: 6 users
Are there some current students that could answer some questions for me? My interview was a while ago so I have forgotten some things and I have some questions specific to 3rd and/or 4th years!

1. I remember lecture being quasi-mandatory, in that attendance counted for a portion of your grade. How frequent are lectures? Like 8-12 or more 8-5?
2. How much case-based/problem-based/group learning is utilized?
3. How frequent are exams? I think I remember there being comprehensive exams at the end of each thread (kind of like around final exam time in undergrad) and then smaller exams after each block, such as human blueprint or heme&onc? Is that correct?
4. I wrote down that exams are multiple choice. Are they NBME or professor-created multiple choice?
5. How much dedicated time do students get for Step 1 prep?
6. Do students get involved in, say, IM sports at the undergrad campus, or other clubs/activities?
7. What does UTCOMLS do to help promote student mental health and well-being?
8. When do students get to start seeing real (non-standardized) patients?
9. Anywhere I can find last year's match list? Not just specialties but also the programs matched?
10. For clinical years, it looks like rotations are broken down into 5 week blocks, grouped into groups of 2. (here is the link I'm referring to: http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/curriculum/pdfs/courseschematicrev.pdf ) It looks like students do brain and behavior, then women and child health, and then so on, in that order, with half the class being in neuro & the other half in psych and then they switch. Then half the class in obgyn and the other half in peds and then switch, etc. etc. How is it feasible to have ~90 people all in the same rotation at once? Or am I misinterpreting this schematic completely?
11. Is anatomy a lot of dissection or more reliant on prosections?
12. Is there dedicated time for research other than between M1 & M2?
13. Is it easy for 4th years to take time away from rotations to attend residency interviews or does the school limit how many days you can take off for interviews?
14. How are grades determined in the clinical years? All just shelf exams or shelf + clinical evaluations? And how are each of these factors weighted?

Sorry for so many questions! I guess I didn't have a chance to write a whole lot down during my interview!

Reactions: 2 users
Are there some current students that could answer some questions for me? My interview was a while ago so I have forgotten some things and I have some questions specific to 3rd and/or 4th years!

1. I remember lecture being quasi-mandatory, in that attendance counted for a portion of your grade. How frequent are lectures? Like 8-12 or more 8-5?
2. How much case-based/problem-based/group learning is utilized?
3. How frequent are exams? I think I remember there being comprehensive exams at the end of each thread (kind of like around final exam time in undergrad) and then smaller exams after each block, such as human blueprint or heme&onc? Is that correct?
4. I wrote down that exams are multiple choice. Are they NBME or professor-created multiple choice?
5. How much dedicated time do students get for Step 1 prep?
6. Do students get involved in, say, IM sports at the undergrad campus, or other clubs/activities?
7. What does UTCOMLS do to help promote student mental health and well-being?
8. When do students get to start seeing real (non-standardized) patients?
9. Anywhere I can find last year's match list? Not just specialties but also the programs matched?
10. For clinical years, it looks like rotations are broken down into 5 week blocks, grouped into groups of 2. (here is the link I'm referring to: http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/curriculum/pdfs/courseschematicrev.pdf ) It looks like students do brain and behavior, then women and child health, and then so on, in that order, with half the class being in neuro & the other half in psych and then they switch. Then half the class in obgyn and the other half in peds and then switch, etc. etc. How is it feasible to have ~90 people all in the same rotation at once? Or am I misinterpreting this schematic completely?
11. Is anatomy a lot of dissection or more reliant on prosections?
12. Is there dedicated time for research other than between M1 & M2?
13. Is it easy for 4th years to take time away from rotations to attend residency interviews or does the school limit how many days you can take off for interviews?
14. How are grades determined in the clinical years? All just shelf exams or shelf + clinical evaluations? And how are each of these factors weighted?

Sorry for so many questions! I guess I didn't have a chance to write a whole lot down during my interview!

Hey, so I'm a 4th year, so I'll leave most of your questions to the M1s and M2s who have more experience with the new curriculum, but I figured I'd answer a couple!

6. There's no one in my class that I know of that participates in undergrad IM sports, but there are quite a few health science campus leagues for basketball, soccer and a few other sports throughout the year.
9. Try Rocket Trajectory. You can search by state or speciality and see the number of students we've matched into each program or state. It includes 2013-2017 match lists, so you can see most than just a year.
10. Students are split into 20ish tracts that you stick with throughout 3rd year. So different tracts have all the specialities in a different order. There are only 15-30ish students on a speciality at a time.
13. Just like most schools, you have to be strategic in scheduling your 4th year, but it is easy enough to schedule rotations during interview season that don't have required attendance/have limited attendance requirements. Many rotations only allow for 3 absences per month, but the older students will let you guys know which rotations to take!
14. Clinical grades may change in the future, but right now, they are 50% subjective evaluations, 30% shelf score and 20% departmental point, which vary based on speciality, but can include short papers, OSCEs, etc.

Does anyone know if we have to attend the second day look event?

Hey, so I'm a 4th year, so I'll leave most of your questions to the M1s and M2s who have more experience with the new curriculum, but I figured I'd answer a couple!

6. There's no one in my class that I know of that participates in undergrad IM sports, but there are quite a few health science campus leagues for basketball, soccer and a few other sports throughout the year.
9. Try Rocket Trajectory. You can search by state or speciality and see the number of students we've matched into each program or state. It includes 2013-2017 match lists, so you can see most than just a year.
10. Students are split into 20ish tracts that you stick with throughout 3rd year. So different tracts have all the specialities in a different order. There are only 15-30ish students on a speciality at a time.
13. Just like most schools, you have to be strategic in scheduling your 4th year, but it is easy enough to schedule rotations during interview season that don't have required attendance/have limited attendance requirements. Many rotations only allow for 3 absences per month, but the older students will let you guys know which rotations to take!
14. Clinical grades may change in the future, but right now, they are 50% subjective evaluations, 30% shelf score and 20% departmental point, which vary based on speciality, but can include short papers, OSCEs, etc.

Thank you so much this was very very helpful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been complete since mid-September and radio silence. Anyone else in the same boat?? Lizzy M 68.

I interviewed 2/8 and still waiting to hear back... it's been over four weeks :/

I interviewed 2/8 and still waiting to hear back... it's been over four weeks :/
Also interviewed 2/8 and waiting... it's killing me!

Interviewed 2/9 and same. Though the director guy told us 4-6 weeks so I'm not freaking out just yet.

Maybe all of us that interviewed on 2/8 have entered into some kind of a post-MMI black hole and our applications (which were destined for acceptance) have been delayed due to the singularity.

Thats the only rational explanation I can think of, anyway.

Just received an II! I scheduled for March 22. I think the next available dates were in May?

Interviewed on 2/8 and got the acceptance this morning. Hopefully the rest of you hear soon! I really enjoyed everyone I interviewed with on my interview day, so fingers crossed for you!

Interviewed on 2/8 and got the acceptance this morning. Hopefully the rest of you hear soon! I really enjoyed everyone I interviewed with on my interview day, so fingers crossed for you!

Congrats! Fingers crossed, I enjoyed getting to meet everyone on our interview day as well and I'm happy you were accepted :)

II today but I think I am going to turn it down. Not sure yet, I need to think more about it.

Last edited:
Accepted!!! I'm so excited and grateful!:soexcited:
Interviewed 02/08! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

To those accepted, when/how were you notified? Trying to gauge if it's a all at once type thing or if decisions are trickling out one at a time