2017-2018 University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine emailed admissions two weeks ago and was told “email or letter toward the end of the month or early April”

“typically sent in late April by mail” was what the original waitlist letter stated.
Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email with my waitlist position. Unfortunately, I am very low on the waitlist so it won't be happening for me. Hope the rest of you all hear soon. I'm IS by the way.

Just got an email with my waitlist position. Unfortunately, I am very low on the waitlist so it won't be happening for me. Hope the rest of you all hear soon. I'm IS by the way.

I just heard as well and am pretty low as well... pretty bummed (IS)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also super low (high alternate number, low chance of getting in). In state. I wish they would've sent me an outright R instead of dragging me on for a spot between 45 and 55.. (they told me exact but I'd like to keep a bit of mystery).

Good news: My best friend is mid20s so still maybe they have a shot?.. Unfortunately its a 'moving in July or August to Madison" type longshot.

Has anyone on the OOS wait list gotten their rank yet? I haven’t received any emails about it yet...

Has anyone on the OOS wait list gotten their rank yet? I haven’t received any emails about it yet...
OOS and have not heard. Glad they are emailing though and not sending letters in the mail.

Edit: just heard and am in the 30's. It was a nice run while it lasted. This was one of my favorites post-II, but I'm happy with my other offers and honestly had I even been accepted here it would have been a very touch decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Got the email this morning! OOS WL in the teens. They specified that as a nonresident applicant my spot is position x.

Does anyone know if that means they have 2 separate lists? As in do they only subsitute a resident for a resident and a nonresident for a nonresident?

EDIT: Just read the email again and I can confirm that they do in fact select nonresidents only when a nonresident spot opens up and traditionally not a lot of OOS spots have been given out. Fun while it lasted!

Last edited:
Got the email this morning! OOS WL in the teens. They specified that as a nonresident applicant my spot is position x.

Does anyone know if that means they have 2 separate lists? As in do they only subsitute a resident for a resident and a nonresident for a nonresident?

EDIT: Just read the email again and I can confirm that they do in fact select nonresidents only when a nonresident spot opens up and traditionally not a lot of OOS spots have been given out. Fun while it lasted!

I emailed someone at admissions and they said they have two separate alternate lists, one for IS and one for OOS.

I am also super low (high alternate number, low chance of getting in). In state. I wish they would've sent me an outright R instead of dragging me on for a spot between 45 and 55.. (they told me exact but I'd like to keep a bit of mystery).

Good news: My best friend is mid20s so still maybe they have a shot?.. Unfortunately its a 'moving in July or August to Madison" type longshot.
Try being in the 80s :mooning:
why is that even a waitlist spot l o l

Reactions: 1 users
I have some notes saying the following, mostly from old SDN threads:
About this week - some WL people got rejections
This week or next week - WL ranks came by mail.
~top 15 WL people got acceptance calls the first week of May.
Thank you so much for posting this info! Do you know if the numbers you reported from old threads were for IS/OOS/Both? I'm OOS waitlist and just got emailed that I am #9. Very thankful to have a chance by barely making the top 10, but not sure how much I should really get my hopes up being OOS.

Thank you so much for posting this info! Do you know if the numbers you reported from old threads were for IS/OOS/Both? I'm OOS waitlist and just got emailed that I am #9. Very thankful to have a chance by barely making the top 10, but not sure how much I should really get my hopes up being OOS.
Traditionally very few people (3-4) get off the OOS waitlist each year, from my understanding.

I’d guess they’re IS. Sounds like lists are separate. I don’t think OOS would go until 9 but hard to know - you’re at the very back of the borderline “will I get in” is my guess.

Plus “Hawkes” — I liked Univ of Iowa better anywyas haha! But if you didn’t get that (or maybe you’re not referencing that) I could see your interest in Madison

Members don't see this ad :)

Good for you, I am currently #19. I called today just to get real logistics and she said it ranges from one year no one came off because of too much acceptance influx. However, she reported that some years they have had 15-20 OOS people get off the waitlist so try to be as optimistic as possible and just keep enjoying your life. Good luck though!

Good for you, I am currently #19. I called today just to get real logistics and she said it ranges from one year no one came off because of too much acceptance influx. However, she reported that some years they have had 15-20 OOS people get off the waitlist so try to be as optimistic as possible and just keep enjoying your life. Good luck though!
Thanks so much for calling & getting that info! And good luck to you as well!!

why don't they just reject our application instead of ranking us above 35 in OOS WL? The only possible scenario would be if half of the accepted and waitlisted OOSs withdraw their application it's like winning the lottery.. good luck with that!

Received my financial aid letter this morning... unfortunately, only loans :(

How are all my waitlist buddies holding up................

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my acceptance and scholarship. In-state applicant, accepted in October. Hopefully it goes to one of you on the wait list!

Just a reminder posted way too late in the day lol, but if you can pick WARM or regular admission you should pick regular to let another small-town kid become a doctor ;)

My friend's sister was recently accepted IS (she said she was low 20s on WL) Looks like there will be a fair amount of movement :)

Hi my Wisconsin friends! Just called the office of admissions and inquired about my spot on the waitlist. It sounds like they have accepted 6 people off the OOS waitlist and do not aniticipate any more movement. Although my spot is below 10 now, they said it would be prudent for me to go and explore other options. Sorry if this brought anybody bad news but I figured it was better to let everyone know. As far as my IS friends, I did not inquire about that.

Hey folks,
Just bumping to ask if any of you would talk about the new curriculum. How do you like it?