2017-2018 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!! I can't believe it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED! This is such an awesome program. Important question though: They told us at our interview that the financial aid deadline (for CSS, FASFA, and 2016 tax returns) would be due this week but it seems to be postponed now to the end of this month. Am I interpreting that correctly? So if I don't have my CSS and tax returns in by tomorrow I'm still ok?

Thanks!

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED! This is such an awesome program. Important question though: They told us at our interview that the financial aid deadline (for CSS, FASFA, and 2016 tax returns) would be due this week but it seems to be postponed now to the end of this month. Am I interpreting that correctly? So if I don't have my CSS and tax returns in by tomorrow I'm still ok?

Thanks!
If they said so then it should be fine. You can always call the fin aid office. They are super helpful with any questions you may have!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!
I’m still having trouble believing it. This application cycle has honestly been the most humbling experience of my life: I cannot with words express my gratitude to the admissions committee for giving me this chance. I can’t wait to meet those of you attending in July, and I hope good news comes to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 8 users
Do you have to submit a deposit to hold a spot? I didn't see anything about a deposit in the acceptance letter.

Does anyone roughly know a general timeline of when we should arrive/move in? I am planning on a trip that should end between July 10-13. If this overlaps with the first day of school or white coat ceremony, I'm going to need to reschedule.

Does anyone roughly know a general timeline of when we should arrive/move in? I am planning on a trip that should end between July 10-13. If this overlaps with the first day of school or white coat ceremony, I'm going to need to reschedule.

They already sent out a schedule to accepted students, you must not have gotten the email wave yet if you were recently accepted. First day of LAUNCH is July 9th. White coat is that Saturday, July 14th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone roughly know a general timeline of when we should arrive/move in? I am planning on a trip that should end between July 10-13. If this overlaps with the first day of school I'm going to need to reschedule
They already sent out a schedule to accepted students, you must not have gotten the email wave yet if you were recently accepted. First day of LAUNCH is July 9th. White coat is that Saturday, July 14th.

what is LAUNCH? and is it mandatory?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those accepted, did the office of admissions confirm that they received your e-mail (the e-mail you have to send to reserve your spot)?

For those accepted, did the office of admissions confirm that they received your e-mail (the e-mail you have to send to reserve your spot)?
I did not receive a confirmation that they had received my acceptance email. I’m probably going to call in to confirm, just in case there was some sort of email mix-up.

Reactions: 1 user
I got one shortly after I responded. It had the dates for LAUNCH and white coat along with a number of other things (second look weekend, immunizations, background checks, transcripts etc). I imagine yours will be coming soon. Don't worry too much about it.

Speak of the devil, the email just came. I was worried over nothing. :laugh:

I did not receive a confirmation that they had received my acceptance email. I’m probably going to call in to confirm, just in case there was some sort of email mix-up.

I did not initially receive an email, and when I called to confirm they said they hadn't received it. Sent it again and promptly received a response. Definitely follow up!

Edit: Oops, Mr. Budong I guess you're already set lol.

Does anyone know how often the adcom meets moving forward?

Hey guys! I have a question for students who already go to Wake or know about Winston-Salem. I looked up the crime statistics the other day, and apparently its only safer than 6% of other cities in the United States...do ya'll feel safe on campus/in downtown and other areas? Are there certain neighborhoods to avoid? Thank you so much!

And another question for current students - how do ya'll feel about having to take Step 1 earlier? Do you/did you feel prepared?

Does anyone know what the Second Look Weekend consists of? I know there is a tour and a presentation by financial aid, but they covered both of those on interview day. Additionally, is it for the students only, or are their families invited to attend as well?
Trying to decide whether to request the time off work and commit to driving ten hours.

Does anyone know what the Second Look Weekend consists of? I know there is a tour and a presentation by financial aid, but they covered both of those on interview day. Additionally, is it for the students only, or are their families invited to attend as well?
Trying to decide whether to request the time off work and commit to driving ten hours.
I'm bringing my wife. We're coming in a few days earlier to look at housing, and she has a few job opportunities lined up that she wants to visit. Plus, she wants to see the campus and meet everyone.

You can definitely bring your family or anyone with you! Be careful because I think the deadline is soon or may have already passed!

I felt torn as well since the interview day felt so comprehensive. I live on the West Coast so it's a 5 hour flight + time off work. Ultimately, it turns out I'll be having ankle surgery next week and won't be able to fly anyway so I'm not going to make it.

Are there any accepted students who are holding onto their acceptance but plan on matriculating somewhere else? Give hope to me pls

Does anyone know if there's going to be any waitlist movement before 4/30?

Does anyone know if there's going to be any waitlist movement before 4/30?
During my interview day - 3/5 - they said probably not before April 30, but to send in updates/letter of interest if you're waitlisted.

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? or will they start reviewing applicants again and offer acceptances?

I'm bringing my wife. We're coming in a few days earlier to look at housing, and she has a few job opportunities lined up that she wants to visit. Plus, she wants to see the campus and meet everyone.

There is no campus, per se. The medical school is downtown next to one of the hospitals and is miles away from the undergraduate campus.

Can any current/past students comment on how they felt while preparing for Step 1? For instance, did classes do a good job of keeping the boards in mind throughout the curriculum (which I've heard some schools try to do)? Also, the ~4-5 weeks of dedicated study time seems relatively short compared to other schools.

https://www.aamc.org/download/432966/data/designatedstep1study.pdf

Can any current/past students comment on how they felt while preparing for Step 1? For instance, did classes do a good job of keeping the boards in mind throughout the curriculum (which I've heard some schools try to do)? Also, the ~4-5 weeks of dedicated study time seems relatively short compared to other schools.

https://www.aamc.org/download/432966/data/designatedstep1study.pdf

Hey, I was able to ask this question in the class facebook group. Students receive at least 6 weeks to study with the new curriculum in place.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current/past students comment on the Wake Forest Medical Scholars scholarships? Does anyone know what the scholarship amounts are, and how likely students are to receive one?

@Pathdocmd - now that the interview season has ended and WF has made it through one season using the MMI format, what does the admissions team think about MMI vs traditional interviews? I thought you all did a wonderful job with the transition and I'm interested to see if you thought that the change was positive and resulted in a better feel for the candidates.

Reactions: 5 users
@Pathdocmd - now that the interview season has ended and WF has made it through one season using the MMI format, what does the admissions team think about MMI vs traditional interviews? I thought you all did a wonderful job with the transition and I'm interested to see if you thought that the change was positive and resulted in a better feel for the candidates.

So far I would say 95% of the faculty think it is an improvement over the traditional interview format. There are some that miss the "social" as aspect (just chatting away with the applicants), but that is not why they are there.

It really has given the COA a more objective way to evaluate applicants. We are in the process of crunching the data to check the objectivity and will make changes accordingly.

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current/past students comment on the Wake Forest Medical Scholars scholarships? Does anyone know what the scholarship amounts are, and how likely students are to receive one?

I realized no one has responded to this question - I think it's because most people involved in this thread don't know the details of the Medical Scholars scholarships. Although I'm just an applicant, I have spoken with a few current and recently accepted students and scoured SDN, so I will pass on the limited knowledge that I have:

I do not know the smallest or largest amounts that are given, but I have heard of up to $50,000 per year. I'm not sure if any full tuition or full COA have been given (if anyone has received one and would like to PM me to remain anonymous, I can update). I'm also not aware of the smallest number given, but my best guess is anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 per year. I've also heard of $40,000 and $25,000 scholarships per year through posts on SDN. No one I've spoken with in person has told me exact scholarship awards received, but the scholarships are significant enough to persuade students from accepting current state school offers.

Based on my conversations, it appears that WF is holistic with regards to scholarships. There does not seem to be any single application feature that leads to scholarships, and extracurriculars and personal characteristics appear to play a role. One person I met received a scholarships with an MCAT below 505. Another received a scholarship with a GPA below 3.5. Others have average MCATs and GPAs and have compelling stories. At least three people I know have gotten scholarships even when previously waitlisted - and some were significant scholarships. One person received a scholarship when coming off the waitlist in the summer with no other acceptances. I've also heard the awards are given out on a rolling basis, so if you haven't received anything yet, that does not mean you might not hear from them in the future.

One thing I overheard on interview day was that anyone who considers Wake Forest to be his or her top choice should let the school know - send an email or letter that shows your interest (within reason). It seems that if you have funding at another school or an acceptance at a cheaper school and you prefer WF, let them know - they want people who want them and they may help you out.

I know this doesn't answer your actual question, but I'm hoping that this information is helpful.

Reactions: 4 users
I know Wake is done giving out interviews, but are they ever going to send out rejections?

So I know wake is P/F, but do they rank internally?

This was a discussion we had on another X vs Y school post. I found the handbook online, which says there are no rankings for classes after the class of 2019, but someone spoke to an adcom who said there were. SO - I think we need to ask this weekend! There is also a question of whether any rankings included the first two years. It would make sense to rank based on third year. Of course, it might only matter for AOA, and I wasn't able to find specifics on that.

It does have some definitions such as, "Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society: A professional medical organization that recognizes and advocates for excellence in scholarship and the highest ideals in the profession of medicine. The top 25 percent of a medical school class is eligible for nomination to the society, and up to 16 percent may be elected based on leadership, character, community service, and professionalism." - so we'll need to ask what the 25% was based on.

Here's the link to the handbook: http://www.wakehealth.edu/uploadedFiles/User_Content/SchoolOfMedicine/Student_Records/Documents/2017-2018 WFSM Student Handbook_8.9.17.pdf

I included a picture of the page on grading.

@Pathdocmd - do you know the details or will we find out more this weekend? Thanks for your help!

Screenshot 2018-04-09 17.03.25.png

This was a discussion we had on another X vs Y school post. I found the handbook online, which says there are no rankings for classes after the class of 2019, but someone spoke to an adcom who said there were. SO - I think we need to ask this weekend! There is also a question of whether any rankings included the first two years. It would make sense to rank based on third year. Of course, it might only matter for AOA, and I wasn't able to find specifics on that.

It does have some definitions such as, "Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society: A professional medical organization that recognizes and advocates for excellence in scholarship and the highest ideals in the profession of medicine. The top 25 percent of a medical school class is eligible for nomination to the society, and up to 16 percent may be elected based on leadership, character, community service, and professionalism." - so we'll need to ask what the 25% was based on.

Here's the link to the handbook: http://www.wakehealth.edu/uploadedFiles/User_Content/SchoolOfMedicine/Student_Records/Documents/2017-2018 WFSM Student Handbook_8.9.17.pdf

I included a picture of the page on grading.

@Pathdocmd - do you know the details or will we find out more this weekend? Thanks for your help!

View attachment 231727

Yea, my understanding is that the “class standing” section refers to external standings and there is still some sort of internal ranking system in place. Interested to hear what @Pathdocmd has to say about it.

Does anyone know Wake's Step 1 and Step 2 averages from 2017?

Step 1: 229
Step 2: 246

EDIT: These are as reported in US News and I cannot guarantee the veracity.

Last edited:

They showed us a graphic on interview day, can’t recall exact numbers but I remember that they were well above the national average in both. Not sure how much stock I’d put in that though, since I really believe it is up to the individual to master the knowledge necessary to achieve a great score. I like to think the step 1/2 scores of med schools is more a reflection on the type of students that are enrolled, rather than a measure of curriculum effectiveness.

They showed us a graphic on interview day, can’t recall exact numbers but I remember that they were well above the national average in both. Not sure how much stock I’d put in that though, since I really believe it is up to the individual to master the knowledge necessary to achieve a great score. I like to think the step 1/2 scores of med schools is more a reflection on the type of students that are enrolled, rather than a measure of curriculum effectiveness.

Not meaning to say you shouldn’t ask that question, that’s just something I’ve been wanting say for awhile and you provided me an avenue :)

Not meaning to say you shouldn’t ask that question, that’s just something I’ve been wanting say for awhile and you provided me an avenue :)

Oh I completely agree, I was just curious