2017-2018 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Sent in letter of interest. I'm thinking of sending in an update letter concerning a publication I'm currently writing. Is this advised? I know Wake doe

4.13??? o_O Are you taking AP classes??

I thought it was weird too... I haven't gotten A+'s since high school. Still, I'm not going to turn them down.

Members don't see this ad.

According to MSAR and data from previous years, it seems that if you are granted an interview here then you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Last year, 458 people were interviewed for a class of 129. Not even factoring in the fact that between 1.5 - 2x the number of seats are accepted, 129/458 is 30%. Therefore, we know that at BARE MINIMUM (and this is a very conservative value) the number of interviewees accepted is at least 30%. I do not know whether they over-accept or just waitlist everyone who surpasses max capacity, but MSAR reports that on average 25-35% of the incoming class is accepted from the waitlist - meaning that at absolute bare minimum 32 people are accepted off of the waitlist. Considering that we know 129/458 are accepted, that means 329 are either waitlisted or rejected. In the worst case scenario for waitlisters, where all 329 are waitlisted, then that means you have a 9% chance of being pulled off the waitlist.

So according to my calculations, here are my worst (and I repeat, worst) case scenario results:

about 1/3 interviewees will be accepted on interview day, and about 1/10 waitlisters will be pulled off the waitlist.

Does anyone have any data to chime in? any critiques on my analysis? I'm just trying to figure out our chances :p

Last edited:
According to MSAR and data from previous years, it seems that if you are granted an interview here then you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Last year, 458 people were interviewed for a class of 129. Not even factoring in the fact that between 1.5 - 2x the number of seats are accepted, 129/458 is 30%. Therefore, we know that at BARE MINIMUM (and this is a very conservative value) the number of interviewees accepted is at least 30%. I do not know whether they over-accept or just waitlist everyone who surpasses max capacity, but MSAR reports that on average 25-35% of the incoming class is accepted from the waitlist - meaning that at absolute bare minimum 32 people are accepted off of the waitlist. Considering that we know 129/458 are accepted, that means 329 are either waitlisted or rejected. In the worst case scenario for waitlisters, where all 329 are waitlisted, then that means you have a 9% chance of being pulled off the waitlist.

So according to my calculations, here are my worst (and I repeat, worst) case scenario results:

about 1/3 interviewees will be accepted on interview day, and about 1/10 waitlisters will be pulled off the waitlist.

Does anyone have any data to chime in? any critiques on my analysis? I'm just trying to figure out our chances :p

USNews states that out of 9115 applications, 458 were interviewed, 238 were accepted, and 129 enrolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think somewhere else on the thread someone said that 60% of interviewees get in. At this point though I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the unlucky 40% that gets rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/09. Absolutely in love with this school and submitting letter of interest!

Accepted! Interviewed 2/9

I had just dropped off my daughter at school and was in my car when the email came in. I'm sure I got a lot of strange looks as I pumped my fists and screamed at the top of my lungs, then proceeded to cry like a crazy person when I called my wife to tell her. Absolutely over the moon with excitement!

Add one more to the non-trad interest group at the second look day!

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted! Interviewed 2/9

I had just dropped off my daughter at school and was in my car when the email came in. I'm sure I got a lot of strange looks as I pumped my fists and screamed at the top of my lungs, then proceeded to cry like a crazy person when I called my wife to tell her. Absolutely over the moon with excitement!

Add one more to the non-trad interest group at the second look day!

Yay! Welcome to the nontrad club.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an II today!
I cannot begin to describe how excited I am for the opportunity to interview at Wake Forest! I had all but given up hope of hearing from them this late! After reading all of the positive things you all have said about the school, its facilities, the student body, and more, I know I'll fall in love with it too!
March 9th Let's Gooooo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
From reading over the dates that you all interviewed and then were accepted/waitlisted, it seems like they are pretty quick at following up. Would you all agree or are some applicants just lucky?

From reading over the dates that you all interviewed and then were accepted/waitlisted, it seems like they are pretty quick at following up. Would you all agree or are some applicants just lucky?
They told us we would hear back within a week, and it ended up being 3 business days for me. I can't speak for others.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah, they're the best school with this. Super fast turnaround, and they deliver earlier or on the date they promise.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't mean to exclude you! I'll start a chat so that I can find this group of people more easily in April, lol.

Add on another nonTrad! I'll be there Friday and a decent chunk of Saturday, but I've got to head out in early afternoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here yesterday and WOW. Everything I am looking for in curriculum, they have. And on top of that, they incorporate ultrasound into the curriculum which not many schools do. I was incredibly impressed. Not to mention that the building is brand new and beautiful! Downtown Winston-Salem is so cute! It would really be an honor to attend here.

Reactions: 7 users
I meant to post this yesterday, but we have 9 weeks until second look! At least I think it's 9 weeks. February's shortness always throws me off...

Is anyone having a problem finding hotels close to the school for the second look? For some reason everything seems booked up for that weekend

Is anyone having a problem finding hotels close to the school for the second look? For some reason everything seems booked up for that weekend

EDIT - I misremembered my search: I found a Quality Inn in Winston-Salem, but it is a bit further from campus than you may wish to stay (although close to the undergraduate campus). It's around $75/night if you want to cancel later (cheaper if you know you won't cancel). If anyone stays in that area and doesn't mind being on an old married couple's schedule, we'd be happy to drive you to and from the events.

Last edited:
Is the wait list on a rolling basis?

Very excited about interviewing Friday but the nerves are kicking in a bit. It's really just the uncertainty of the MMI. I've done some practice and think it's pretty "fun" as far as interview formats go but it seems like the majority of practice prompts I've looked at have a heavy ethical slant, and the "hybrid MMI" labeling muddies things a bit more. Is it more of a 50/50 "talk about yourself/scenario" split?

Can you guys be brutally honest - are March interviewees essentially fighting for waitlist spots? Not to discourage others who are interviewing next month - but I just don't want to fly cross country and spend close to a thousand for a waitlist spot at best.

Can you guys be brutally honest - are March interviewees essentially fighting for waitlist spots? Not to discourage others who are interviewing next month - but I just don't want to fly cross country and spend close to a thousand for a waitlist spot at best.

Wake Forest has insisted since the beginning that later interviewees are at no disadvantage. It appears they may waitlist a bit more up front to leave spaces available for later interviewees, but that is just an observation - I don't have anything to back that up. I think you still have a very good chance of getting an acceptance this late in the season.

You have the same chance of being accepted in a March interview as a September interview.

I really hate to be that guy... :/

WF changed from a traditional 3 interview system to an MMI this year, which can have anywhere from 6-10 stations. As a result, WF has been able to interview far more people as opposed to previous years' cycles. I can't find any concrete info on this from previous threads, but I remember hearing that there were 7-10 people at each interview session last year as opposed to 20 at mine this cycle. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and WF has adjusted their interviews to maintain the same proportion of acceptances/interviews... but I fear the MMI has done some damage to that ratio.

I really hate to be that guy... :/

WF changed from a traditional 3 interview system to an MMI this year, which can have anywhere from 6-10 stations. As a result, WF has been able to interview far more people as opposed to previous years' cycles. I can't find any concrete info on this from previous threads, but I remember hearing that there were 7-10 people at each interview session last year as opposed to 20 at mine this cycle. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and WF has adjusted their interviews to maintain the same proportion of acceptances/interviews... but I fear the MMI has done some damage to that ratio.
Yeah I was really surprised when I got there. This interview had the highest amount of interviewees out of all the schools I interviewed at (even other schools with MMI). I wish I had taken this into consideration before going into the interview thinking I had a pretty good chance at being accepted :/ Just another school that heavily waitlists it’s interviewees

As a result, WF has been able to interview far more people as opposed to previous years' cycles. .

We are interviewing about the same number as last year. In years past we interviewed fewer people 4 days a week, now it is more people 1 or possibly 2 days a week.

Last edited:
Yeah I was really surprised when I got there. This interview had the highest amount of interviewees out of all the schools I interviewed at (even other schools with MMI). I wish I had taken this into consideration before going into the interview thinking I had a pretty good chance at being accepted :/ Just another school that heavily waitlists it’s interviewees
The number of applicants per day has nothing to do with the number that gets accepted, wait-listed, or rejected. Why would it? If we did MMI 5 days a week with 8 applicants vs 2 days with 20 applicants, the results would be the same. If we had a way to do 100 interviews on a single day (not that I would ever want to) and just interview only 4-5 times a year, I can't see why that would make a difference.

I would just like to know how many people are actually on the waitlist and if the adcom would be brutally honest about the chances of getting in.

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I interviewed in mid-November and was placed on the waitlist in early December. I sent my letter of interest the day I was waitlisted and have not heard anything since (besides Wake responding to say they received my letter). Would it be a good idea to send a letter of intent (as in I will 100% attend Wake Forest if I am accepted) now? Or right before April 30th? Or right after April 30th? I don't know how much movement there will be. Also, should I include in this letter of intent some of my updates? They are super significant but they are definitely pertinent (a promotion at my scribe job, as well as a new part time job).

I am really excited to get the opportunity to go here!

I'm not sure what you mean. That acceptances are sent as positions open up?

Yes. Or do they wait until one set date to start looking at the waitlist? Some schools pull from their waitlist starting in the fall.

Anybody else still waiting to hear from Wake?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Or do they wait until one set date to start looking at the waitlist? Some schools pull from their waitlist starting in the fall.
We have already accepted people off the waitlist and will do so throughout the cycle. The COA has to vote on every acceptance, so it is not something that occurs automatically.

We have already accepted people off the waitlist and will do so throughout the cycle. The COA has to vote on every acceptance, so it is not something that occurs automatically.
Can we know where we stand on the list if we call and request that information?

Do you mean spring?

No fall 2017.

Here’s to hoping I get accepted before 2nd look weekend *fingerscrossed

@Pathdocmd - I have been looking at the curriculum on the Wake Forest website, but I wasn’t sure if the graphics for each “Year” represent the curriculum for the class currently enrolled in that year or for the future classes (as the transition to the shortened preclinical began with the class of 2021). Is there a page that shows the predicted four-year curriculum for the class of 2021 or 2022? Thanks for all of your help on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed at Wake on Friday and really loved the school and would be ecstatic to attend! Just an FYI for everyone, admissions stated that on Thursday, March 1st, they will take some more applicants off of the waitlist and extend them offers.
Thank you for the info!!! I got placed on the waitlist after interviewing early February. Absolutely fell in love with Wake and their innovative perspective of teaching students. Will hopefully see some WL movement this week!

@Pathdocmd - I have been looking at the curriculum on the Wake Forest website, but I wasn’t sure if the graphics for each “Year” represent the curriculum for the class currently enrolled in that year or for the future classes (as the transition to the shortened preclinical began with the class of 2021). Is there a page that shows the predicted four-year curriculum for the class of 2021 or 2022? Thanks for all of your help on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is from the curriculum staff: "The curriculum graphics posted on each of the curriculum pages on the website are snapshots of what each year goes through individually. For instance, the graphic on the Year 4 curriculum is for the class of 2018, who is currently rotating through their fourth year. The graphic on Year 1 is for MS2021. As discussed in our curriculum presentation, the curriculum goes through constant CQI with annual course reviews, so therefore there is no way to predict what the curriculum will specifically look like for any future classes."

I hope this answers your question.

This is from the curriculum staff: "The curriculum graphics posted on each of the curriculum pages on the website are snapshots of what each year goes through individually. For instance, the graphic on the Year 4 curriculum is for the class of 2018, who is currently rotating through their fourth year. The graphic on Year 1 is for MS2021. As discussed in our curriculum presentation, the curriculum goes through constant CQI with annual course reviews, so therefore there is no way to predict what the curriculum will specifically look like for any future classes."

I hope this answers your question.

Yes - that makes so much more sense, now!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Anyone interviewing on 3/5? If so please contact me if you'd like to split an uber

Does anybody know how I could retrieve my employee ID and application number for Wake's portal? I must have deleted that email.