2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have already interviewed here... any insight or wisdom you can shed about your experience?

For those who have already interviewed here... any insight or wisdom you can shed about your experience?

It's a very easy going and comfortable interview. They ask you the basics you can expect in any medical school interview..i.e. "Why medicine/DO?"
They might ask some things specific to your application and an ethics question.
Don't stress over it at all.

submitted primary june 27th, still haven't heard anything back... :(

Loved today! Everyone was so friendly! It was also nice getting to know the other interviewees.

Reactions: 1 users
3rd year medical student here. I recommend you all check out the past years threads to get the other side of the story. Its not all friendly faces and happy stories here. By far Carey is on the bottom of the scale if all med schools had an open rating system. It is embarrassing to have to say this year after year but Carey isnt getting better. Please be wise and do some homework on this school before you lock yourself in and walk in for orientation and realize you are screwed. There is no transferring to another school. Where you go to med school matters. Pick the wrong school and you can kiss a future in many medical professions good bye. Carey closes doors way more than it opens. Please talk to current students in a setting where they can be open with you before you make a drastic life changing expensive choice. Best of luck this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year medical student here. I recommend you all check out the past years threads to get the other side of the story. Its not all friendly faces and happy stories here. By far Carey is on the bottom of the scale if all med schools had an open rating system. It is embarrassing to have to say this year after year but Carey isnt getting better. Please be wise and do some homework on this school before you lock yourself in and walk in for orientation and realize you are screwed. There is no transferring to another school. Where you go to med school matters. Pick the wrong school and you can kiss a future in many medical professions good bye. Carey closes doors way more than it opens. Please talk to current students in a setting where they can be open with you before you make a drastic life changing expensive choice. Best of luck this cycle.

Dont come here and not explain yourself! Its very important that I hear what you have to say. So please, for all of our sakes, elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont come here and not explain yourself! Its very important that I hear what you have to say. So please, for all of our sakes, elaborate.

Read the past threads. Then ask a specific question and I can help you or at least point you in the right direction. I didnt just come on here to vent about Carey or to do your homework for you. So please if you want elaboration I need to know exactly what you are looking for, have heard about or trying to avoid. I have been explaining myself for the last two years so please go back and read it.

Read the past threads. Then ask a specific question and I can help you or at least point you in the right direction. I didnt just come on here to vent about Carey or to do your homework for you. So please if you want elaboration I need to know exactly what you are looking for, have heard about or trying to avoid. I have been explaining myself for the last two years so please go back and read it.

"Avoid this school! But I wont explain or copy paste anything!!" - unhelpful guy

He has other things to do then spoon feed you everything. Go read old threads

1. Someone makes claim
2. Someone #2 asks for evidence
3. Someone #3 insults Someone #2 for asking for evidence

Youre an ahole.

Not only that you need perspective. Otherwise it just looks like I had a bad experience. There are tons of other opinions you need to see. Some negative some positive. Its worth your time.

Well... as a fellow applicant I understand your desire for answers to make an informed decision, especially if a school is high on your list and given that interviews are at a premium, however what those students posted isn't unreasonable. I don't believe they made a claim then shut the door right there. The information is in the old threads which are just a few clicks away.

I think he's merely suggesting that you read what he already posted first, then come back with your opinions. What's the difference between Worldchanger posting what he has already previously said vs. you reading what he already posted? Unless the issue is with how they worded things?

Hi guys! Trying to stay optimistic here and looking for some advice. I have a 3.3 sGPA, a 3.52 cGPA, 499 MCAT, and 800+ hours of ECs. Should I apply to this school? I can't seem to find if they prefer IS and what their average MCAT score is.

Hi guys! Trying to stay optimistic here and looking for some advice. I have a 3.3 sGPA, a 3.52 cGPA, 499 MCAT, and 800+ hours of ECs. Should I apply to this school? I can't seem to find if they prefer IS and what their average MCAT score is.

Apply.

No secondary still oh well
If your science courses were taken in Canada don't count on it. I was in contact with this school and was told that my 3 credit science courses with lab don't count as 4 because they want Canadians to earn their coursework from USA institutions.

Can someone direct me to comprehensive board scores for William Carey? I can only find COMLEX 3 scores: http://www.wmcarey.edu/sites/default/files/documents/COM/GME Chart 2014-15.pdf

No one can do that because WCUCOM is currently non compliant with the new rule. It is very unlikely they will openly publish this information on the internet however they will publish it on some public forum eventually most likely a local newspaper. When they do we will find it and post it here.

Congrats!! How long after the interview was it?
I interviewed last friday. They told us to call yesterday around 2, but because of Hurricane Harvey they werent able to meet until today to make a decision. Official letter goes out 10/1.

I got accepted today as well but I will be removing my application soon so hopefully, it will helps you guys!

Anyone who has been to Hattiesburg, how is the city? Looks super boring, kind of like when I lived in Beaumont many years ago. But if its the only acceptance I get, I guess I cant be picky.

Hey guys for the secondary application, is it safe to write more than the space they provide us since a limit isn't stated? Or are we assuming that small space is the limit?

How long did it take to receive a secondary or confirmation of submitting your primary? I submitted my primary Tuesday and haven't heard anything back?

Hey guys for the secondary application, is it safe to write more than the space they provide us since a limit isn't stated? Or are we assuming that small space is the limit?

I assumed taking up more space is acceptable because the amount of space you have left over on the prompt is dependent on how much you have in the previous questions in the application. For example in some of the sections, I had to add rows of experiences. In others, I could delete some so there wasn't empty space. The end result was the essay prompt was further towards the end of the page, which created an arbitrarily short amount of space to write the essay. I'd say somewhere around 1 page is good. Perhaps others could weigh in.

How long does it usually take for you guys to receive your secondaries? My primary was verified last a Tuesday and still haven't heard anything from them. Silent rejection?

How long does it usually take for you guys to receive your secondaries? My primary was verified last a Tuesday and still haven't heard anything from them. Silent rejection?

Doubt it. There is a lag. Youll probably receive it very soon

I hope that everybody looking into the school has had a chance to review the past threads on what has been going on here. If you haven't search for them or scroll to the bottom of the page look for similar threads and read them. People often ask how the rotations are.
For the most part many people in the different sites are happy and learning. The sites with the biggest problems are the two Louisiana sites. Rotations are just not filled. Many student don't have any idea about what they are going to be doing for EM, Surgery, IM, Peds or OB. Its just a big blank spot on the list. Some problems are for the rotations where we have assigned preceptors there is the possibly that the preceptors are completely unaware they have been assigned a student. This can lead to quite the bit of stress when a student contacts a preceptor just to find out they are not taking students that month or even worse that preceptor has not been taking students and has told the school multiple times and still has students calling... often these preceptors just can't hold in their frustrations and the student gets an earful. So contacting a preceptor to politely confirm the rotation and say hello means playing the game of phone roulette where you never know if your assigned preceptor has any idea you are coming. Should the worst happen the school will find a place for you however it could be 4 hours away from your site.
Poor communication and no organization is very common place. It drives preceptors nuts and students have to deal with the fallout. Where is the preceptors practice located and whats his phone number seem like basic information but to the school this is protected like patient information and we just can't be granted this information so easily. Most of the time we can just call the office phone number and ask whatever we need to know like how to dress, when we are expected to be there..ect. This however often leads to comments by the staff like I told your school this or what did your school say about when you start? There is just no communication between the school, preceptors and students which can be quite bad especially when two out of the 3 are bad communicators. Kind of hard to figure out there is a problem when no one tells you. Really difficult to ask for time off when the school hasn't confirmed your rotation yet. Impossible to switch rotations or find out what is available when the school doesn't answer your emails. Easy to get in trouble when your preceptor calls the school asking where you are because you were told you had a different rotation.
There are no guidelines for preceptors to follow. With how our school does preceptor based rotations all of the activity you do is up to the preceptor, everything you may or may not see is up to that practice and you take whatever you can get with a smile. Uncertainty is the biggest problem. If your preceptor is a semi-retired surgeon, that has zero interest in teaching you or your family rotation in an urgent care clinic where you are not allowed to examine patients you may not get much experience in that rotation and will find yourself in the books all the time wondering why you come out to this clinic to watch other people work. The other extreme is also true you could get a preceptor that sees 40 patients a day and covers the ER on weekends and never takes a day off and you have no time to study, and can barely complete your work and worry about passing the rotation because you have no time to prep for the COMAT. Some preceptors are that happy medium, where you have time to study and see and can work with the right volume of patient and your preceptor is happy to answer questions and tell you all about their field of medicine. Travel is also a problem. Sure the main practice is an hour drive away but on weekends he works 7 to 7 at an office 3 hours away. Just driving an hour every day can add up quick too. Again its the box of chocolate approach to clinical rotations ya really never know if its a chocolate treat or poop and I bet this is a problem with every school that uses preceptor based education. I think because the school really has an anything goes approach with preceptors more problems are likely to happen.
Residency program directors do not like preceptor based rotations and it makes you a weaker applicant. Without a standardized 3rd year rotation program in a well known hospital residency directors can not be sure you are getting the education you need to be successful. The biggest thing they hate is having to retrain or for some train interns and residents on basic things they should have learned in medical school and when they see preceptor based the don't see an experienced attending that shows you everything he knows they see everything goes attending that taught you nothing. You will meet those types. There is also the reality that when you rotate with a preceptor you can only learn what he or she knows but as a part of a medical team you learn what the intern knows, the residents knows and what the attending knows and each is responsible for each other.
What about the actual medical areas covered? We do 2 FM, 2 IM, 2 Surgery, 1 psych, 1 peds, 1 EM and 1 OB. No assigned OPP, Neuro or anything like that. Now you could use your IM 2 as your neuro rotation and your surg 2 for an extra EM if you felt you needed it. However those rotation have to be available. It is very difficult to get rotations in many areas and we only have so much time but why does every rotation have to be a month long in 3rd year? Do we really need 2 whole months of FM and surgery. Shouldn't this be optional to split up into other fields for a few weeks? We also have to fulfill the new COCA requirement of rotating for at least 1 rotation with resident physicians. This has been quite difficult for the school to do which messes with scheduling and availability even more. Some students have lost their entire schedules and are on a month to month basis.
The school also puts way too much weight on the COMAT exams that you have to take within the month of your rotation commonly in the last week of the rotation. Your grade in the rotation is decided by how you do on the COMAT and these test are HORRIBLE. Typos, vague question stems, old information, random questions that you have no idea what source of information they used to get the questions from, question that are just plain wrong, made up questions on something that looks like undergrad physics and OPP techniques that no one has ever heard of. Now the shape of the exam isn't Careys fault in any way. It a huge overall DO school kerfluffle but how much the school weighs this towards your grade for the rotation makes no sense and why do we take them in the same month as the rotation. Some we take in the middle of the rotation at some sites and OPP we take during family 1, family we take during family 2 but IM we take during IM 1. Huge disadvantage. Its makes us look weaker than every other school.
The 3rd year callbacks while annoying and overall not helpful are not bad. The bottom performers may be asked to come back and do it again but all in all its fine. A good chance to catch up with everybody. Not sure why so many people complain. There are the rare times when weather or failing a callback and being forced to return make things ugly but again pretty rare. Smile head down and get through it.
Another problem we seem to have is this whole 4th year callback during the month of June. This makes all kind of problems for test scheduling, studying for tests, and early audition rotations. For those that want to do something competitive early auditions are very important so is having the time to study for STEP 2. It would be nice to be able to audition in June or at least use the month to study for Step 2 and level 2. We are told the point is to help us prep for the PE but many other schools can take the PE in January and they do just fine. If you look at the board scores for other schools you will see that they do fine, Carey seems to do things to "help" us and our boards scores seem to lag behind. Its mistakes like these that weaken board scores, lead students to not take USMLE and ultimately push students away from competitive fields.
Even with all of this I would take this frustration over an hour of 1st or 2nd year again. It is way better, you are out learning medicine hands on and it is great. It is a good opportunity to learn from these attendings and understand how they run their practice and learn the reality of medicine if only for a short while. It is our only chance to see as much of medicine as we can before we must choose what we want to do.
It is my hope you guys out there that are applying to medical school don't just jump into any medical school without making sure its a good fit for you. Where you go to medical school matters. Residency programs are getting more and more competitive meaning you need a school that can get you easy access to research in the departments of medicine of the field of your interest, get to letters from the chairs of those departments, help give you time to study for your boards, give you the proper education foundation to build a strong study platform on for boards and gives you the opportunity to rotate and have as a back up a home hospital (Carey doesn't have one, nor do many schools). Any school that can not at least give you these things will hurt your ability to enter into any competitive field and may force you to train in an area you don't want to be in or a program that isn't very good if you are interested in a non competitive field.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an II after being complete last Thursday. It's not until 10/30 so I've got some time.

To the above, thanks for taking the time to write all of that. It's good to hear as much as possible about potential schools.

Was just offered an II. Anybody out there able to offer hotel recommendations?

Anyone who has been to Hattiesburg, how is the city? Looks super boring, kind of like when I lived in Beaumont many years ago. But if its the only acceptance I get, I guess I cant be picky.

I'm from a bigger city and I dont mind it here at all. Theres plenty of places for drinks and a good variety of food. My only complaint is not much daytime stuff to do for fun but we dont get enough time for that to matter usually

I'm from a bigger city and I dont mind it here at all. Theres plenty of places for drinks and a good variety of food. My only complaint is not much daytime stuff to do for fun but we dont get enough time for that to matter usually

Are you a current student?

I sent my secondary forms in the mail about 3 weeks ago and haven't received any confirmation yet, is that normal?

I sent my secondary forms in the mail about 3 weeks ago and haven't received any confirmation yet, is that normal?
I did get a confirmation but I was also having an issue with one of my letters so that may be why. I don't think it would hurt to email and ask to ensure they received it.

I just received a receipt in the mail (1-2 weeks later). But I never received a written confirmation. I'm sure you could call and ask if they received your secondary, or just check your bank account to see if they took out the $50.