2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 506 and got an II at AZCOM as well as here
Admission process is very random, but on average anyone with 507 or lower gets waitlisted, but there are other factors like high GPA and unique life story. Also if you're URM then it does help.

Members don't see this ad.

Admission process is very random, but on average anyone with 507 or lower gets waitlisted, but there are other factors like high GPA and unique life story. Also if you're URM then it does help.

I see I see... didn't realize they want such high mcats. Yikes!

Our school usually interview about 5k students, roughly 500 people interview for a class of 108 seats. So I assume they accept between 150-200 people.

For the interview, you really just have to be yourself and showcase why you deserve a spot. As cliche as that sounds, but they will know who you are by the end of the interview day. When I interviewed, I honestly did not read any books, or MMI articles or anything like that. I just knew why I wanted to be part of this school, and why I want to be a DO. The interview process is fun, the faculty are amazing and very supportive. So relax and don't sweat it, guys.

Is MMI preparation really not necessary? How stressful was the interview process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is MMI preparation really not necessary? How stressful was the interview process?

It really depends on your personality. If you are outgoing and interact on a daily basis with people, good at professional communication then I don't think any practice is necessary. However, it never hurts to watch some videos or read articles on how to tackle MMI. Like I said earlier, I never did that, but it won't hurt you if you over prepare.

The interview is about 2/10 in terms of stress.

Reactions: 2 users
It really depends on your personality. If you are outgoing and interact on a daily basis with people, good at professional communication then I don't think any practice is necessary. However, it never hurts to watch some videos or read articles on how to tackle MMI. Like I said earlier, I never did that, but it won't hurt you if you over prepare.

The interview is about 2/10 in terms of stress.

I have a lot of patient care experience so i'm not exactly worried but I've never done a "standardized patient encounter" is there anything you think is important to know about this?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a lot of patient care experience so i'm not exactly worried but I've never done a "standardized patient encounter" is there anything you think is important to know about this?

Be confident, use logic, and show empathy when needed.

I got in here, but turned it down. Interviewed at three MD schools, in addition to here. I’ll tell you SOMA has the most thorough and comprehensive interview process you can imagine. Prepare as much as you can for it. They’re looking at you from every angle. It’s not particularly stressful, though. Actually an interesting day.

Reactions: 4 users
I got in here, but turned it down. Interviewed at three MD schools, in addition to here. I’ll tell you SOMA has the most thorough and comprehensive interview process you can imagine. Prepare as much as you can for it. They’re looking at you from every angle. It’s not particularly stressful, though. Actually an interesting day.

Do you have suggestions on how to prepare?

Reactions: 1 users
How long does it take to receive a secondary? I just submitted primary yesterday

Read the Pre Med Playbook front to back, know everything about ACA and the health insurance model, cover the UW bioethics topics website, know the osteopathic tenets (cough bull$hit cough) and be able to apply them in a clinical setting for MMI, know everything about why DO is “different” than MD including AT Still’s history as a person, be able to work well with other students (don’t be competitive, you’ll do group stuff and it’s observed), know how to talk to people like a normal person. Don’t be a human calculator/weirdo premed. Smile a lot. Dark suit—faculty told one of the interviewees in my group, in the bathroom before the interview, his suit was no bueno (light grey). No wrinkles and a conservative tie. If you crushed the mcat, and I’m saying this because SOMA has a low AF average, FORGET you crushed it, and be grateful as heck for the interview, when you walk in there realize 1/55 get a seat there, and it may be your only chance to become a physician . So make the most of it, no matter what. Be grateful,
It works magic.

I skipped the deans dinner. You’re being observed and it’s unnecessary stress. Just have a quiet evening alone and get to sleep as early as you can, and get a workout before the inteview. They had the earliest show time of all the places I interviewed and the day was long as all get out.

Reactions: 6 users

Hi! 1st year here - I second Menu's suggestion to read the Premed Playbook: The Interview from front to back. I did this at the airport the day before my interview and it really got me in the right mind set. Otherwise I'd say be friendly, compassionate, and well caffeinated. I felt the "speed interview" portion was the most fun (and challenging). For patient encounters, my recommendation is to think of it in the context of the school - it's designed for training students at CHCs, so understand what CHCs are about and what services they offer. For the group portions, think about it as they are observing your ability to interact in a team setting - find a nice balance between respectful listening and meaningful contributions.

I skipped the deans dinner. You’re being observed and it’s unnecessary stress. Just have a quiet evening alone and get to sleep as early as you can, and get a workout before the inteview. They had the earliest show time of all the places I interviewed and the day was long as all get out.

Will have to disagree somewhat. I dont believe we were being observed. There was only a few faculty and a handful of student ambassadors present at the deans welcome. No way they could observe everybody.

However it doesn't help you for the interview. But it may help you decide to go here or not if you have multiple acceptances. You get a tour of the campus, including the cadaver lab and a presentation with the 3d virtual anatomy lab, which is really cool. You dont really have time to do this tour during the interview day so this may be helpful for you on your decision.

Most likely the only people who got oberserved were the ones who made an effort to go talk to the faculty that were present during the tour. Other than that its stress free and enlightening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will have to disagree somewhat. I dont believe we were being observed. There was only a few faculty and a handful of student ambassadors present at the deans welcome. No way they could observe everybody.

However it doesn't help you for the interview. But it may help you decide to go here or not if you have multiple acceptances. You get a tour of the campus, including the cadaver lab and a presentation with the 3d virtual anatomy lab, which is really cool. You dont really have time to do this tour during the interview day so this may be helpful for you on your decision.

Most likely the only people who got oberserved were the ones who made an effort to go talk to the faculty that were present during the tour. Other than that its stress free and enlightening.
:whistle::thumbup:

I also only had that date as an option. See ya there!!

So was anyone able to see anymore than one interview date option? I was only able to choose 11/30. Did I just get the short end of the stick? Also, congrats to everyone else with interviews!

Hi! 1st year here - I second Menu's suggestion to read the Premed Playbook: The Interview from front to back. I did this at the airport the day before my interview and it really got me in the right mind set. Otherwise I'd say be friendly, compassionate, and well caffeinated. I felt the "speed interview" portion was the most fun (and challenging). For patient encounters, my recommendation is to think of it in the context of the school - it's designed for training students at CHCs, so understand what CHCs are about and what services they offer. For the group portions, think about it as they are observing your ability to interact in a team setting - find a nice balance between respectful listening and meaningful contributions.

Are we allowed to jot down notes/talking points while we are formulating our responses?

Are we allowed to jot down notes/talking points while we are formulating our responses?

When you’re doing the patient encounters yes you do have the opportunity to write down notes. For the “speed interview” it happens way too fast for you to take notes, just focus on your responses for that one.

For the second essay on the secondary, what did you guys do to indicate which essay you're responding to?

For the second essay on the secondary, what did you guys do to indicate which essay you're responding to?
I didn't specify, oops. I think they're different enough that the reader should be able to know which one you're choosing.

Anyone interviewing on the 24th (Friday) want to meet up on the 23rd (Thursday) to explore Mesa? Feel free to PM me.

Submitted my Primary today. Hope I get a secondary soon!

I am not sure it’s appro for me to say this. But I have been thinking about it a lot. I almost matriculated here and I liked it—ended up in an MD program w/ last minute waitlist movement. We are in day 3 now. I am so, so glad I don’t have to mess around with OMM on top of all the “regular” stuff. I’m not judging it. I’m saying I’m glad there’s not one more additional thing I’m supposed to deal with. This is worth keeping in mind if you need to end up needing to make a choice, like for example, an MD program in buttholeville that costs more to live in, or is far away from your good time buddies, or whatever. Absolutely do your best to get in to SOMA and but realize there’s gonna eventually be more demands —of potentially specious value—put on you at a time when you are held down in the prison laundry room and BITE ON THIS AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT by completely legitimate demands.

I am not sure it’s appro for me to say this. But I have been thinking about it a lot. I almost matriculated here and I liked it—ended up in an MD program w/ last minute waitlist movement. We are in day 3 now. I am so, so glad I don’t have to mess around with OMM on top of all the “regular” stuff. I’m not judging it. I’m saying I’m glad there’s not one more additional thing I’m supposed to deal with. This is worth keeping in mind if you need to end up needing to make a choice, like for example, an MD program in buttholeville that costs more to live in, or is far away from your good time buddies, or whatever. Absolutely do your best to get in to SOMA and but realize there’s gonna eventually be more demands —of potentially specious value—put on you at a time when you are held down in the prison laundry room and BITE ON THIS AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT by completely legitimate demands.

I'm on week 5 here and it's honestly super manageable. This school is amazing, I wouldn't worry about.

got my secondary today!

I'm having a difficult time answering the third prompt.
Any current student or people who answered this prompt enlighten me on some of the unique features of SOMA that appeals to you?
Any features of SOMA that was concerning?

Many thanks in advance!

This is very random. But I was wondering how to answer this question if asked at a DO school interview.

"Have you applied to any MD schools and WHY?"

They "Why" part is sort of tricky. DO philosophy carries an extra part of the OMM techniques, so why MD?

This is very random. But I was wondering how to answer this question if asked at a DO school interview.

"Have you applied to any MD schools and WHY?"

They "Why" part is sort of tricky. DO philosophy carries an extra part of the OMM techniques, so why MD?

DO schools know why students apply to both, to maximize their chances of acceptance. I think if you say that you should be good. Thats my plan anyways.

I didn't specify, oops. I think they're different enough that the reader should be able to know which one you're choosing.

I remember answering both prompts for part of my secondary and only answering one prompt for others. I never fully indicated which one I was answering either, I think you'll be ok. :)

I remember answering both prompts for part of my secondary and only answering one prompt for others. I never fully indicated which one I was answering either, I think you'll be ok. :)

Hey I got a few questions for you!

Is attendance mandatory? Is there a dress code? Are lectures posted online? How many classes are you handling at a time and how long do they last? How often are tests?

Thanks shafwa and congrats on your acceptance.

Do you guys know which campus is better in regards to residency opportunities? AZ or MO?

Anyone interviewing on the 24th (Friday) want to meet up on the 23rd (Thursday) to explore Mesa? Feel free to PM me.
Lolz from what I've seen and heard, it is a huge suburb so not much to explore.

FutureDocSW

“Better” in what way? That’s all relevant to what you’re looking for

In regards to residency opportunities

Look at their match lists. Realize it won’t likely be the same (for competitive specialities) with fully operational single GME. Doubt either coneys much of an advantage but I always wondered how the curriculum at SOMA would translate into USMLE scores. Their COMLEX is below the national average pass rate, or at least was when I applied. Whether that’s a function of curriculum or class composition or the number of rocks in my front yard, I have no idea.

Rejected post-secondary. Good luck to all of you still in the game!

Hey I got a few questions for you!

Is attendance mandatory? Is there a dress code? Are lectures posted online? How many classes are you handling at a time and how long do they last? How often are tests?

Thanks shafwa and congrats on your acceptance.
Attendance is only mandatory for certain classes - for example, expect to be there all day Thursday and for at least half of Friday. There's sorta kinda a dress code? It's "business casual" but it's honestly pretty chill. You can opt to wear scrubs everyday if you prefer. Pretty much all lectures are recorded and posted online. It's not split up into "classes" per say. We have courses that span 10 weeks with tests every other week on Mondays. OMM and medical skills are year long with a test about once a month for each.

I hope that answers all your questions! Feel free to message me if you'd like more specifics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Rejected post-secondary. Good luck to all of you still in the game!

What does your timeline look like? I submitted my secondary on 7/16, all of my stuff was in order 7/24, and I still haven't heard anything at all. Making me crazy.

Anyone else, have they been pretty slow, or has it varied? I got an II from AZCOM on 8/4 and nothing else, including rejections, since then. I'm too anxious for this lol

What does your timeline look like? I submitted my secondary on 7/16, all of my stuff was in order 7/24, and I still haven't heard anything at all. Making me crazy.

Anyone else, have they been pretty slow, or has it varied? I got an II from AZCOM on 8/4 and nothing else, including rejections, since then. I'm too anxious for this lol
PM me

Just submitted my secondary! Hope I hear some good news!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Attendance is only mandatory for certain classes - for example, expect to be there all day Thursday and for at least half of Friday. There's sorta kinda a dress code? It's "business casual" but it's honestly pretty chill. You can opt to wear scrubs everyday if you prefer. Pretty much all lectures are recorded and posted online. It's not split up into "classes" per say. We have courses that span 10 weeks with tests every other week on Mondays. OMM and medical skills are year long with a test about once a month for each.

I hope that answers all your questions! Feel free to message me if you'd like more specifics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Thanks for your input! I'm going to go ahead and pm you with a couple of questions. Thanks!

Good luck everyone interviewing this week - hopefully, get the chance to meet some you.

Thinking about banging out a grand canyon visit while I'm there - YOLO
I have a day in between my BCOM interview and SOMA interview, so I might do the same on my drive over from New Mexico to Arizona!!

Firstly I would like a little more information on the different aspects of the interview to know what to expect.. someone wrote there is like four parts to it.

As for the MMI if someone can just point me to a good tool on how to prepare for their specific MMIs, I've done videos and some research but I need someone who has gone through the process with ATSU

Thank you!

I'm a first year student at ATSU. Honestly, if you can relax, the interview day here is pretty chill. Before my interview, I gathered a list of like 100 interview questions and just practiced answering them aloud to myself. You don't want to memorize answers to such a degree that you sound like a robot, but for me it helped to work through common interview questions. You could practice with friends if you have some who are willing. I would also say to practice explaining a brief description of your journey to med school and why you want to be a doctor. Finally, try to relax and be yourself.

Best of luck!

How long does it take to get a decision after having everything completed?