2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Albany Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any current AMC students see this and can answer some questions, please lmk!

Struggling to pre-write these secondaries for sure, ugh.

If anyone would be willing to take a look at my "Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores" essay, please shoot me a DM! I am trying to conclude it with the desired "I overcame these obstacles" approach but just want to see if I present my obstacles appropriately. Thanks to anyone in advance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be happy to swap essays if you'd like!
Struggling to pre-write these secondaries for sure, ugh.

If anyone would be willing to take a look at my "Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores" essay, please shoot me a DM! I am trying to conclude it with the desired "I overcame these obstacles" approach but just want to see if I present my obstacles appropriately. Thanks to anyone in advance :)

Anyone know what to write for the describe yourself secondary? I'm pre-writing and a little unsure whether to add my diversity over here

Would a lower Bio on the MCAT (130/128/126/130) warrant an explanation as an inconsistency based on the question from last year's prompt?

Would a lower Bio on the MCAT (130/128/126/130) warrant an explanation as an inconsistency based on the question from last year's prompt?
Absolutely not.
Anyone know what to write for the describe yourself secondary? I'm pre-writing and a little unsure whether to add my diversity over here
Anything you want the school to know about you. If that's your diversity essay, go for it. Note that it says "one thing" about yourself, though.

Last edited:
Just finished pre-writing the secondary. That was perhaps the most involved one yet. Anyone agree?

Hi folks! Are the secondary prompts this year the same as last year's?

Hey guys! For the inconsistency essay, is it worth bringing up my 506 MCAT? I have a 3.99 GPA as a chem major, so I'm sure they'd be expecting a higher MCAT.

Hey guys! For the inconsistency essay, is it worth bringing up my 506 MCAT? I have a 3.99 GPA as a chem major, so I'm sure they'd be expecting a higher MCAT.
I have always heard to not highlight or bring attention to your supposed flaws, unless you have a REALLY good reason to do so. I think just simply having a 506 MCAT and nothing go terribly wrong on your test day that was out of your control, it’s best to just not bring more attention to it. Highlight your strengths and put your best self into the other questions. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received a secondary yet?
Nope and I hope they hang on to it until next week so I can finish the 15+ I have so far lol

EDIT- Life hates me so now I'm at 20. Send help

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Nope and I hope they hang on to it until next week so I can finish the 15+ I have so far lol

EDIT- Life hates me so now I'm at 20. Send help
I am at 10 unwritten so far. Good thing I prewrote my diversity essay....

Props man. I’ve submitted 9 with 18ish more to go.

Y'all can do it!! I found that my first 10 took me the longest and then after that it's pretty easy to re-purpose some of the main sentences since a lot of schools ask the same questions or very similar. Still waiting on AMC (which is annoying because I pre-wrote this one first since MSAR said app review begins June 30th...).

Props man. I’ve submitted 9 with 18ish more to go.

You applied to 27 schools?

So far I’ve submitted 15, have 7 more to work on right now, with 9 more coming in the future lol. I’m just hoping I didn’t make any careless errors with these fast turnaround times.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would anyone consider a 506 -> 514 MCAT score increase to be an "inconsistency in MCAT scores" worth explaining? The phrasing makes me think they're actually asking about an unbalanced MCAT or a high/low GPA/MCAT combo but technically.....

Last edited:
Y'all can do it!! I found that my first 10 took me the longest and then after that it's pretty easy to re-purpose some of the main sentences since a lot of schools ask the same questions or very similar. Still waiting on AMC (which is annoying because I pre-wrote this one first since MSAR said app review begins June 30th...).
Lol I’m the opposite, the first 10 were the repurposed ones, the rest are the school specific questions

On the bright side they seem to be through apps submitted close to the middle of the month

You applied to 27 schools?

So far I’ve submitted 15, have 7 more to work on right now, with 9 more coming in the future lol. I’m just hoping I didn’t make any careless errors with these fast turnaround times.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lol I wish. I applied to ~45. I’m still waiting for the rest to flood in. I’m lacking the motivation to write creative essays plus my committee letter isn’t in yet so this is all pretty pointless until then

Would anyone consider a 506 -> 514 MCAT score increase to be an "inconsistency in MCAT scores" worth explaining? The phrasing makes me think they're actually asking about an unbalanced MCAT or a high/low GPA/MCAT combo but technically.....
I too want to know. I went up 10+ points for my second retake. What is the actual question? Haven’t really looked at this secondary.

On another note, would a 124 cars score require explanation

I too want to know. I went up 10+ points for my second retake. What is the actual question? Haven’t really looked at this secondary.

On another note, would a 124 cars score require explanation
I'm only explaining my MCAT score because I went up 10+ points and my first score was abominable. Don't think you need to explain 506 => 514. I think they'll see it and see that you implemented good studying strategies. 506 is nothing to scoff at. In your case, I would only explain something if your more recent score was very unbalanced (subsection <125). I wouldn't mention it. :)

I've heard both ways on a CARS <125. I honestly don't think there's a good explanation behind it... I've seen moderators say not to highlight it/it sounds whiny (ESL, etc.).

((Although I am no an adcom))

im assumiong the secondaries are the same from 2017-2018 correct? Thanks in advance

edit: if it is the same prompts, is the inconsistency question optional? or is this a question where they want you to come up with something

did anyone else receive a secondary? I have received most schools already.... and have not received this one.

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but are there any of you for whom there are not any apparent "inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores"....?

I don't have any course W, very high GPA, and high-middling MCAT (arguably underperformed relative to what GPA might lead one to expect, but certainly in line with AMC median)

Here is the best I can come up with - do you think either is acceptable?

- I have a B/B+ in 2 quarters of calculus and a B+ in 1 quarter of ochem and otherwise all A's. Would an acknowledgment that "I don't have a knack for calculus" or something mildly self-critical (yet demonstrating self-awareness) be a good look?
- I was a cc transfer and started very slowly, with 1/3 of my classes not transferring, so my first year+ looks "thin" in terms of course load, though it is a 4.0. Part of the reason for this is that I performed badly in high school and this was somewhat of a "training wheels" phase
- My two gap years could framed as "inconsistencies" in that I was not in school, though this is already addressed in a separate question so is not usable.

Does the question's framing allow for it to be left blank? This course of action sounds bad, but it seems as if answering this question in a manner that points out deficiencies that would be otherwise invisible is perhaps worse

Thanks for your input. Hopefully someone else had a question along these same lines and can also stand to benefit from the answer.

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but are there any of you for whom there are not any apparent "inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores"....?

I don't have any course W, very high GPA, and high-middling MCAT (arguably underperformed relative to what GPA might lead one to expect, but certainly in line with AMC median)

Here is the best I can come up with - do you think either is acceptable?

- I have a B/B+ in 2 quarters of calculus and a B+ in 1 quarter of ochem and otherwise all A's. Would an acknowledgment that "I don't have a knack for calculus" or something mildly self-critical (yet demonstrating self-awareness) be a good look?
- I was a cc transfer and started very slowly, with 1/3 of my classes not transferring, so my first year+ looks "thin" in terms of course load, though it is a 4.0. Part of the reason for this is that I performed badly in high school and this was somewhat of a "training wheels" phase
- My two gap years could framed as "inconsistencies" in that I was not in school, though this is already addressed in a separate question so is not usable.

Does the question's framing allow for it to be left blank? This course of action sounds bad, but it seems as if answering this question in a manner that points out deficiencies that would be otherwise invisible is perhaps worse

Thanks for your input. Hopefully someone else had a question along these same lines and can also stand to benefit from the answer.

I absolutely think you can leave this question blank.

I absolutely think you can leave this question blank.

i was under the assumption you could leave this blank too. It doesnt seem necessary to "explain a problem" if you dont think you have one that is shown through your stats

Does the Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. question mean if you went back after a bachelors? Or is it any gaps post bachelors? That seems to be very similar to the first one. Thank you.

Does the Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history. question mean if you went back after a bachelors? Or is it any gaps post bachelors? That seems to be very similar to the first one. Thank you.

The first question sounds like it's asking if you've taken time off during undergrad or grad school. The second question appears to be asking if you've taken any gap years between schooling. At least that's my two cents!

+1, not sure if they screen or not?
I havent received one either.

"All applicants applying to the Albany Medical College must complete a school supplemental application that solicits information not provided via the AMCAS process."

That was on the FAQ section on their website, so I don't think there's a screen, just probably behind on sending them out.

Secondary received!

1. If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, what do you believe are the major reasons for not being accepted and what have you done since to overcome these concerns? (1000)

2. Describe yourself: (1,000 character limit)

3. Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.(1,000 character limit)

4. Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history.(1,000 character limit)

5. Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program. (1,000 character limit)

6. In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1000 characters)

Reactions: 2 users
So I did just get a secondary here, but I got it to an email address I have certainly never provided them with, and is definitely not anywhere on my AMCAS application.... what happened here??

So I did just get a secondary here, but I got it to an email address I have certainly never provided them with, and is definitely not anywhere on my AMCAS application.... what happened here??
Well...that's interesting. I would just make sure to check you have the right email address on the applications.

Anyone able to submit? It won't accept either of my CC's.

Reactions: 1 users

+1
They sent it to the email address I initially had in my application. However, I changed it before I submitted so it's very odd

6. In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1000 characters)

Kinda confused on what they want for this part; I've already written most meaningful essays, do they just want me to copy what is on AMCAS over?

Kinda confused on what they want for this part; I've already written most meaningful essays, do they just want me to copy what is on AMCAS over?
I hate this essay prompt so much... I think they just want us to expand on it. In my case, there's a distinction between what I listed on AMCAS as "most meaningful" and what was most meaningful to me wanting to pursue medicine, so I'm taking it as an opportunity to write about that.

Reactions: 1 users

For that experience, you can also expand on another story. For mine, I actually picked another experience from the list that wasn't most meaningful and wrote about it.