2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well this thread's gone quiet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, looks like movement here has definitely slowed. I wonder if there will be some more around the cte deadline. Man it's really killing me not knowing my rank. Cant they at least give us a vague sense of our standing? Man.
Sorry for venting lol.

Reactions: 1 users
This x1000
If I found out that my rank is, say, 3 out of 100, then I would be pretty confident of getting in and my anxiety would decrease a lot.
If I found out that my rank is, say, 50 out of 100, I could emotionally give up and start dedicating myself entirely to reapplication prep. This would also decrease my anxiety.
Either way my life would be significantly better if I knew.

Just know that you're 1 of 1, baby... :')

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
This x1000
If I found out that my rank is, say, 3 out of 100, then I would be pretty confident of getting in and my anxiety would decrease a lot.
If I found out that my rank is, say, 50 out of 100, I could emotionally give up and start dedicating myself entirely to reapplication prep. This would also decrease my anxiety.
Either way my life would be significantly better if I knew.

Alternatively, if you found out your rank was 3 out of 100, you would probably hedge your bets/hope and not do anything to reapply. So you call nearly every day to check your status to the point where they start recognizing your phone number and telling you right away that there are no updates yet. Then they only end up taking 2 more people in June/July as in past years and you're left with the emotionally crushing knowledge that you were next in line, didn't get in, and have to reapply after doing no prep. You also see those admitted before you on SDN's LizzyM/MCAT score -they got a 509 non-URM from cali which is less than your 513 so now you're also just confused. So now you're left very far behind for the next cycle or even may have to skip it entirely and hope to matriculate 2 years in the future all while still being emotionally crushed with an irrational disdain for the school for 'having put you through that and left you in your current position' even though you mostly did it to yourself.

OR you can not know your rank as ignorance is bliss. Then you hope you get in but as time goes on you begin to lose hope as the forums for admits have gone radio silence. So through anxiety and existential crises you just end up prepping for reapplication and get things in relatively on time. You get a rejection email in end of july/early august and snort-laugh and audibly say, "no ****" because it's nothing you didn't already expect (and you already reapplied). You end up having no real disdain for the school, just upset they didn't take you and hope that they'll take you next cycle since you were sooo close the last one having been on the alternate list.

Reactions: 2 users
First time SDN user but have been watching this thread and want to give any information I can to those waiting.

Was accepted on 5/15/19, interviewed in March and was placed on alternative list April 30th. MCAT 513, 3.93 cGPA and 3.90 sGPA.

99% committed to Albany but still on 3 waitlists of schools that I may contemplate attending.

Hey all! I was accepted last week off the waitlist - really excited to attend, loved the school when I visited. For future stats, I interviewed on November 18th, was UC on January 17th, alt list on April 29th, and accepted on May 30th. LizzyM ~71, 517 MCAT, non-trad applicant (graduated from college in 2011, I feel like a frickin' dinosaur), rough undergrad GPA (3.1), but showed improvement through my post-bac in 2015 (3.7) and MA in bio-psychology (3.9). Good luck to everybody here waiting for good news, it can happen!

I realize you posted this a while ago but hi! I am also a non-traditional applicant that feels like a dino (graduated undergrad in 2013), so, you’re not alone!

Timeline info for anyone reading this in the future: Secondary submitted late October, interviewed early March, Alternate List 4/29 (was never “under consideration”), accepted 5/17.

I realize you posted this a while ago but hi! I am also a non-traditional applicant that feels like a dino (graduated undergrad in 2013), so, you’re not alone!

Timeline info for anyone reading this in the future: Secondary submitted late October, interviewed early March, Alternate List 4/29 (was never “under consideration”), accepted 5/17.

Snort you are not a Dino we have 4 thirty somethings in the upcoming 2nd year class.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that there are some current students in the FB group, and there are some people planning to matriculate who either don't have a FB or aren't in the group, so the number could be inaccurate in either direction. But it is still so soul-crushing it grow to 150 people now.

It's just a shame. I felt incredibly fortunate to interview here and everyone seemed so nice and so happy to be there. I know CTE is still to come but it seems like the amount of movement here has already been more than in past years so the potential for more is probably exhausted, and for the past two cycles there have been 0 acceptances after mid June on SDN, probably one or two were given out and not reported but the chance is basically 0% :(
Meridian, don't give up just yet. New traffic rules made waitlist movement ridiculously unpredictable so you never know. I hope you get in. Sending positive vibes and prayers your way.

For anyone else still living that alternate life--I've got 2 updates from my ongoing information spelunking quest

1. FB group dropped by like 8-10 students and is now at 145. If I were to guess, these people probably withdrew their acceptances a while ago and were just removed en masse by the admins today; I doubt that 10 people got off another waitlist and CTE'd there today. Still, it gives me a bit of hope, even though most of those seeming vacancies are probably long-filled.

2. I called admissions. They were very nice, and they basically implied that they expect to fill a few more spots, likely around or right after their CTE on July 8th, but they didn't seem totally sure, most likely due to the uncertainty of this cycle.

Greg, my friend. We're near the end of the line. I sincerely hope that this last stretch brings you good news. Same goes for anyone on the alternate list who's been lurking but not commenting in this thread.

Appreciate the sleuthing Meridian! I don't wanna get too hopeful but at least there's still a chance! Though if I'm miraculously pulled off the WL, I'd be pretty darn screwed financially since I'm moving to my new apartment on 7/8

I should probably obfuscate the details so the school can't find out who I am, but they're already gonna reject me apparently, what more can they do? Might as well say xD

I emailed them last night and received the reply this morning.
I wish you all the best for your future!

AMC adcoms: *expect matriculants to be super empathetic*

Also AMC adcoms: *don't send alternate list rejections until August, even though there's been literally 0 chance since early July*

Look, I understand keeping the entire alternate list until the CTE on July 8th. I'd also understand keeping like 5 people on the alternate list past CTE in case of drops. But I don't get why they don't reject the people at the bottom of the list when it's clear there's no chance. It'd take almost no effort, and it'd be so much more humane.

Case in point: I've still not gotten an official rejection, even though if I'm not mistaken classes started on Monday.

My dream of becoming a doctor is gone

I'm guessing it's because there is still a possibility that someone drops out before classes start (during orientation) or even during the first few weeks into school. But I agree, it sucks to be strung along like that. You made it to the alternate list, so you probably just need something that will give your app that final push. Keep grinding and you'll make it. Best of luck.

Just got an Alternate List Update -> Rejection

It's November, AMC lmfao. Very cool!

• Love
Me too! FFS it's so disrespectful. I'm already dead inside (like seriously, haven't felt happy in months), but I was finally starting to acclimatize and become numb to it, and getting this email just sort of reopened the wound. They really should've done it in July/August, it's not exactly hard to send out a mass email.
Must’ve been a clerical error or something of the sort, but regardless it’s quite BS.

also IMY Meridian, hope everything’s going well for you this year

Thanks mate, applying for class of 2025 tho. Looks like your reapps are going well on your signature though, congrats!
Thanks, fam! Best of luck to you in the next cycle