2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate this essay prompt so much... I think they just want us to expand on it. In my case, there's a distinction between what I listed on AMCAS as "most meaningful" and what was most meaningful to me wanting to pursue medicine, so I'm taking it as an opportunity to write about that.
I like that idea too!

Members don't see this ad.

Credit card.
Got it to work after waiting about 10 minutes
What do you mean after waiting 10 min? I keep trying to click Pay By Credit Card but I just get redirected to the top of the page. Did this happen to you? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure in which direction to take the "describe yourself" prompt. How is everyone else answering that one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to pay for the application fee?

Yes, I paid and submitted yesterday. The payment is on a separate page you have to click on.
Did you access that separate page by clicking the "pay by credit card button"? If so, which browser did you use? Because that button is not working for me (and it sounds like multiple others).

Did you access that separate page by clicking the "pay by credit card button"? If so, which browser did you use? Because that button is not working for me (and it sounds like multiple others).
Yes, and then I used firefox.

Ok, so after not being able to pay with CC using Chrome and Firefox.... everything worked out for me on Edge lol
I clicked Pay by Credit Card and a pop up came up for me to input CC info

Ok, so after not being able to pay with CC using Chrome and Firefox.... everything worked out for me on Edge lol
I clicked Pay by Credit Card and a pop up came up for me to input CC info
Thanks for the advice!

I can confirm that you are able to pay and submit through IE, but not other browsers.

Reactions: 1 users
The first question sounds like it's asking if you've taken time off during undergrad or grad school. The second question appears to be asking if you've taken any gap years between schooling. At least that's my two cents!
The second question is technically "please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history" If I didn't take any gaps during undergrad and am starting my second gap year now (but with all time accounted for in the activities section of the primary) do you think I need to/should answer this? I'm really leaning no since it'd be 100% redundant and I honestly don't think I satisfy either of those conditions

as a reapplicant should I answer the "If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful.." even if I did not apply to their program last year? I feel like if I answer this it might be viewed negatively that I didn't apply to them last cycle lol

The second question is technically "please explain any extended gaps in activity/employment in your post-graduate history" If I didn't take any gaps during undergrad and am starting my second gap year now (but with all time accounted for in the activities section of the primary) do you think I need to/should answer this? I'm really leaning no since it'd be 100% redundant and I honestly don't think I satisfy either of those conditions

Hmm... The way it's phrased does sound like you only need to explain yourself if there was a few months unaccounted for since graduating college and when you hope to start med school. I'm also leaning towards a "no," in that case. I tried to dig through last year's thread for an answer to this question, but couldn't find any clear answers (I might just have accidentally missed it though). Sorry, I couldn't be of more help! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... The way it's phrased does sound like you only need to explain yourself if there was a few months unaccounted for since graduating college and when you hope to start med school. I'm also leaning towards a "no," in that case. I tried to dig through last year's thread for an answer to this question, but couldn't find any clear answers (I might just have accidentally missed it though). Sorry, I couldn't be of more help! :(
Really appreciate it! I didn't find anything either so I think I'll just leave it blank

Thanks for the advice!

I can confirm that you are able to pay and submit through IE, but not other browsers.

I have tried to pay using Firefox but gotten an error message after entering my card details twice. The message said my account would not be charged, and yet when I checked my bank account, I was charged twice. Anyone else having this issue? Emailed Admissions Help to get some advice on what to do/to get the holds on my bank account lifted.

I have tried to pay using Firefox but gotten an error message after entering my card details twice. The message said my account would not be charged, and yet when I checked my bank account, I was charged twice. Anyone else having this issue? Emailed Admissions Help to get some advice on what to do/to get the holds on my bank account lifted.
Have you tried microsoft edge? seems like other people are having success with that browser.

please report back if and when you get an answer. Albany's really angering me with this incompetence lol

Reactions: 2 users
please report back if and when you get an answer. Albany's really angering me with this incompetence lol
I have a Mac so getting Edge on my computer is not the easiest :dead:

Man, I feel for you guys...must be frustrating. Try it again this weekend on different browsers and if they all still don't work, try contacting the school.

Can't pay. I input my card info but it says it fails but that I'm not getting charged. Did it twice though, haven't checked statement yet so not sure if I did get charged. Any idea what we should do?

Can't pay. I input my card info but it says it fails but that I'm not getting charged. Did it twice though, haven't checked statement yet so not sure if I did get charged. Any idea what we should do?

Looks like we're all having issues. I've tried all browsers (including Firefox, Edge, IE), and the window pops up, but it says transaction failed every time. I tried different credit cards, it charged one of them too (a pending charge), so I know there isn't an issue with the information I'm inputting. How frustrating.

Looks like we're all having issues. I've tried all browsers (including Firefox, Edge, IE), and the window pops up, but it says transaction failed every time. I tried different credit cards, it charged one of them too (a pending charge), so I know there isn't an issue with the information I'm inputting. How frustrating.
I think the best bet is to contact the school on Monday.

Didn't get charged

Aaaaaand got charged

I got the charge too, although on the status page is says no payment made. Maybe try emailing them? I emailed them too. Hopefully they'll see that this is a widespread problem.

I'm not sure if this is a silly mistake or not, but I used an actual credit card instead of my debit cards, and it successfully went through (on Edge), no errors...

Edit: For what it's worth, I've submitted 20 secondaries already and never ran into this credit card (no debit) requirement.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a silly mistake or not, but I used an actual credit card instead of my debit cards, and it successfully went through (on Edge), no errors...

Edit: For what it's worth, I've submitted 20 secondaries already and never ran into this credit card (no debit) requirement.
I was using credit too. Also used this card for like 15 payments so far on secondaries.

I ran into the "error" message, but my back account is showing a pending charge from Albany, so it went through. I still can't submit though!

I ran into this payment problem too. I payed and it said my card was NOT charged. However, now it shows up on my credit card statement TWICE. Does anyone know if your card actually gets charged twice? This is getting ridiculous that they still haven't fixed this issue yet, considering that it happens to everyone.

I ran into this payment problem too. I payed and it said my card was NOT charged. However, now it shows up on my credit card statement TWICE. Does anyone know if your card actually gets charged twice? This is getting ridiculous that they still haven't fixed this issue yet, considering that it happens to everyone.
My understanding of how banks work is that it is jsut a hold on your account. When the store/business/etc does not actually collect a payment from you (as in our case where it didn’t go through on their end) the hold will eventually be lifted after about a couple business days. Nothing to worry about in terms of lost money but insanely frustrating on Albany’s part. They also still haven’t answered my email where I brought up this problem.

Got the issue with payments email this morning but still no secondary, haha :whistle:. Any OOS still waiting on the secondary?

This email made me almost jump out of bed thinking it was an interview invite haha
haha sorry! If its any consolation, every email I get nowadays make me jump out of bed, pull the car over, stop my run, etc.

Just a fyi, once you submit your application, you have to probably wait a few days and keep checking your status (on the same secondary website) for everything to say "yes". Once all documents have arrived and have a "yes" to the left of it, you have to click the "complete" button at the bottom of the page for the adcom to start reviewing your file.

So, I guess we're all stuck in limbo until they get this system fixed?

Hey everyone! Just dropping in to say good luck with this application cycle, and particularly with your apps to AMC. I'm currently enrolled in the AMSNY post-bacc program at University of Buffalo with AMC as my referring med school. So, assuming I don't screw it up, I'll be matriculating in Albany with some of you come next August!

Lord knows my app cycle was stressful last year, and I definitely wouldn't have imagined it would bring me to where it has, but things have worked out nonetheless. I'll be sending good vibes in ya'll's direction while I'm grinding it out here at UB, and I'm looking forward to finding out who my classmates will be in the Albany Medical College Class of 2023!

Your card will actually get charged twice. I used my card several times like the neurotic premed I am, and it didn't reflect on my bank account until this afternoon. Now I have over 9 completed charges and the school owes me over $1000...

To those of you who were able to submit secondary, how long did it take for Casper scores to show up? Casper website says my scores were delivered, but AMC hasn't received them yet. Thanks!

Albany’s IT guy going to be in big trouble. This is such a mess.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm getting the urge to call admissions about the "Describe yourself" question. I feel like I need more information.

I'm getting the urge to call admissions about the "Describe yourself" question. I feel like I need more information.
I just answered it as though it was the "what would a close friend or co-worker say about you" interview type question.

So I'm guessing you repeated alot from your personal statement..
My personal statement was more of a narrative about some clinical experience that I have. I interpreted this question as list four characteristics about yourself and explain them.

My personal statement was more of a narrative about some clinical experience that I have. I interpreted this question as list four characteristics about yourself and explain them.
Yeah I got that feeling, good looks whoever you are :horns::horns::horns:

Still haven't received a secondary. I was verified 7/11. Should I be worried?