2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on all the acceptances! I have a quick question if y'all don't mind: I've been accepted at Baylor since December, but after UTSW's second look weekend I've been sold on attending UTSW and I'm about 99% sure I'm going there. Should I withdraw from Baylor so that my acceptance can go to someone else, or should I go to their second look in April to get closure?
99% is pretty darn sure!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on all the acceptances! I have a quick question if y'all don't mind: I've been accepted at Baylor since December, but after UTSW's second look weekend I've been sold on attending UTSW and I'm about 99% sure I'm going there. Should I withdraw from Baylor so that my acceptance can go to someone else, or should I go to their second look in April to get closure?
Speaking as someone who is accepted to UTSW but not Baylor so far, I think you might as well go to Baylor's second look in April to be 100% sure!

Congrats to everyone who’s been accepted! Would you guys be up for sharing the first 6 digits of the phone number? I’m being plagued with robo calls but this is one call I definitely wanna pick up (this is ofc if I’m lucky enough to get a call from Baylor at all )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think that it would be beneficial to attend Baylor's second look to get a complete picture of what both schools have to offer! BUT, if you are 99% sure that you will be attending UTSW with the mindset that you are only going to the second look solely for closure, then it may be better to just save the money spent on travel and other expenses. Coming from someone that has received an acceptance from UTSW but not from Baylor, I would still attend the second look even though my experiences so far would lead me to a UTSW decision as well. Overall, they are both fantastic schools and will make you a great physician. In the end, make sure to go with your gut and where you believe you will be the happiest!

Thank y'all so much for the responses. Even though I’m heavily leaning UTSW, I think I may still attend Baylor's second look so that my decision will be fully informed. And in April my spot will still go to someone else - it'll just be a few weeks later. Best of luck to y’all!

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea of how much of the class has been filled?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m totally speculating here, but on FB the BCM Class of 2022 and Class of 2021 and 2020 have like 600 ppl in them, while the current group is 321 (up 5 from before this wave). I’m confident theres still a lot of acceptances to go out but just not sure whether its a 100 left or 150 left or what

Reactions: 2 users
I’m totally speculating here, but on FB the BCM Class of 2022 and Class of 2021 and 2020 have like 600 ppl in them, while the current group is 321 (up 5 from before this wave). I’m confident theres still a lot of acceptances to go out but just not sure whether its a 100 left or 150 left or what
investigator dodolol21 is on it guys. hoping for additional waves of A this upcoming week

Reactions: 4 users
Wait, 600? I’m probably sounding stupid and missing something but how large is each incoming class? And how many people do they offer admissions to usually? Asking for a friend...

MS1s and MS2s probably join the groups too.

On another note, I really hoped a greater volume of acceptances would be sent out...guess it's time to wait again. Hopefully good things come to those who wait!

Wait, 600? I’m probably sounding stupid and missing something but how large is each incoming class? And how many people do they offer admissions to usually? Asking for a friend...

Per MSAR they accept around 300. So the rest 300 should all be upperclassmen

Adjust that number to a class size of 185. (155 IS and 30 OOS). Maybe they have to offer 300 acceptances to matriculate 185?

Yup I was referring to total offered

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few auto admissions to Baylor - Rice Baylor, Baylor-Baylor, Debakey-UH-Baylor. Probably about 15-20 seats.

Is it probably too late to send a Letter of Intent here if its my first choice or would it still possibly be helpful? Just trying to figure out if they've already made all their decisions but just haven't sent them all out and a LOI isn't going to change anything or if it would still be useful

Is it probably too late to send a Letter of Intent here if its my first choice or would it still possibly be helpful? Just trying to figure out if they've already made all their decisions but just haven't sent them all out and a LOI isn't going to change anything or if it would still be useful
I was in the same boat and just sent one last week. Can't hurt and you don't want to regret not sending one!!

which email do you send the letter of intent to? the ms lists or the bcm email?

I would not use the size of the FB group to speculate how many people have been accepted. I'm a current MS1 and our page is like 2/3 upperclassmen!

Congratulations to all receiving offers! Welcome to Baylor!!! To those who have yet to hear back, remember that BCM is very slow and methodical in the way they send out offers. I know it is a painstaking wait, but continue to be patient! You have made it this far and you never know what might happen. If anyone has any questions about the Baylor/Houston life, myself and other current students that float around here will be happy to answer them. Feel free to post them here or shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone with inside info know if more acceptances will be sent out before second look?

April 5-6th, but registration for it closes March 22nd. I’m sure they have a lot more offers to send out by then!
Wow, that seems pretty early considering how late they tend to send out acceptances, haha

April 5-6th, but registration for it closes March 22nd. I’m sure they have a lot more offers to send out by then!

There will likely be at least one more wave before second look happens! My acceptance came a few days before second look registration closed, but they will still accept people after second look happens.

If Baylor is dangling a carrot, then we desperate pre meds are rabbits. We just have to leap high enough to bite out a chunk of that carrot...!

I don't think Baylor has sent out of a lot of acceptances yet, judging by past threads. There will probably be a massive wave of acceptances and rejections when Mar 15 comes around. Doomsday is approaching, then.

If Baylor is dangling a carrot, then we desperate pre meds are rabbits. We just have to leap high enough to bite out a chunk of that carrot...!

I don't think Baylor has sent out of a lot of acceptances yet, judging by past threads. There will probably be a massive wave of acceptances and rejections when Mar 15 comes around. Doomsday is approaching, then.
I tend to be optimistic as well, but at this point, Baylor has definitely accepted a decent # of people, not just a few since about 20 have reported acceptances on SDN. However, there are definitely still a ton to go out though in March/April I hope as @Lusheeta and @creamyJ have said. Also no one gets rejected here post II, everyone slides onto the WL

I tend to be optimistic as well, but at this point, Baylor has definitely accepted a decent # of people, not just a few since about 20 have reported acceptances on SDN. However, there are definitely still a ton to go out though in March/April I hope as @Lusheeta and @creamyJ have said. Also no one gets rejected here post II, everyone slides onto the WL
I actually didn't know that about the WL. I thought people actually did get rejected. :/

Okay now I’m getting super neurotic. Is it possible that the LOI I sent will hinder my chances of getting accepted this month. Will they think “oh this person is going to come here regardless so let’s not accept them quite yet so we can save our second look spots for people who are actually deciding”

Reactions: 3 users
Okay now I’m getting super neurotic. Is it possible that the LOI I sent will hinder my chances of getting accepted this month. Will they think “oh this person is going to come here regardless so let’s not accept them quite yet so we can save our second look spots for people who are actually deciding”
You are not alone lol, I've been thinking the same since I sent mine. This school knows they have me in the bag

Reactions: 4 users

I just got slapped with that R. I was an MSTP interviewee here though.

Does anyone remember when Dr. Vallejo said most acceptances go out? Was it before March 15th or am I remembering wrong?

Does anyone remember when Dr. Vallejo said most acceptances go out? Was it before March 15th or am I remembering wrong?

From Amcas,

1. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.
So, by March 15 at least 186ish acceptances have been sent out.

I just got slapped with that R. I was an MSTP interviewee here though.
I also got rejected post interview for the MSTP. My interview with one of the co-directors didn't go so well. Its fine though I sent in a LOI for the M.D. program and might reapply internally if I get into the med school.

Hey everyone, current student here! For those accepted, please join the “Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2023” if you haven’t already! You can connect with upperclassmen/other admitted students, consult the Housing Google Doc, and get any other info that is/will be posted there.

Furthermore, we are proud to say that U.S. News has ranked BCM #22 for Research and #4 for Primary Care!

could anyone message me that email address they gave us at the interview? I forgot to write it down

Has anyone who sent in a letter of intent actually been accepted?

Sent a LOI and thank you notes to the interview email address but didn't get any reply – wondering if I should reach out to confirm they got it?

Sent a LOI and thank you notes to the interview email address but didn't get any reply – wondering if I should reach out to confirm they got it?
Same thing happened for me. I think they just don't respond to these kinds of emails (if I'm wrong, someone pls correct me).

Same thing happened for me. I think they just don't respond to these kinds of emails (if I'm wrong, someone pls correct me).
I did get a confirmation that they received my LOI, sadly no acceptance yet

lol nobody? I'm inclined to believe @Star224 's theory
Has anyone who sent in a letter of intent actually been accepted?

Every adcom/attending/etc says that unless a school specifically says they're receptive to LOIs then they really just don't care at all. Who knows if they even read them lol. I dont personally think @Star224's theory is reasonable though, I think if they really want you then they would just accept you. If you haven't been accepted they're probably just a little on the fence about you still and want to see how the rest of their class shakes out first.

(btw I interviewed in early fall, also sent an LOI without response, no acceptance yet either sigh)

Every adcom/attending/etc says that unless a school specifically says they're receptive to LOIs then they really just don't care at all. Who knows if they even read them lol. I dont personally think @Star224's theory is reasonable though, I think if they really want you then they would just accept you. If you haven't been accepted they're probably just a little on the fence about you still and want to see how the rest of their class shakes out first.

(btw I interviewed in early fall, also sent an LOI without response, no acceptance yet either sigh)
Way I see it, an LOI that they don't ask for is probably not going to help you unless you're on the wait list and may very well hurt you if hoping for a merit/recruiting scholarship