2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essays:
1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2,000 characters)
2. In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School or Medicine achieve its mission. (2,000 characters)
3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Creighton University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck! I am an incoming M1 and would love to answer questions you may have about the school. I fell in love with this school immediately on my interview day and think all of you will as well. Feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck! I am an incoming M1 and would love to answer questions you may have about the school. I fell in love with this school immediately on my interview day and think all of you will as well. Feel free to DM me!
Hey, I'm currently not applying here but your post has me thinking perhaps I should.

What is the area like around Creighton? What about Creighton made you fall in love with the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm currently not applying here but your post has me thinking perhaps I should.

What is the area like around Creighton? What about Creighton made you fall in love with the school?

The area is actually getting more urban as time goes on. Most people assume Creighton is in the middle of a corn field but Omaha has nearly 500,000 people (more than New Orleans by about 150,000). There are tons of places to shop, concert venues and bars/clubs. Also, in terms of the school I was blown away by the fact that they offer housing during your interview where you can stay with actual medical students. They also through a dinner where you could talk with the med students. The students seemed really happy and the ADCOM care more about quality of character over quantity of achievements. Also, there is a huge Latino population, which adds to the patient diversity you will see.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, thanks for your willingness to answer questions! I got some for you when you get a chance:

1. What are some special things about Creighton that not many medical schools would have?
2. How are the collaboration and school culture like?

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for your willingness to answer questions! I got some for you when you get a chance:

1. What are some special things about Creighton that not many medical schools would have?
2. How are the collaboration and school culture like?

Thanks!

The students were all extremely friendly during my interview day. It was also great since I got to stay with one of the M1s (to be M2s). In terms of “special things” it came down to these for me:

1. The helpful and friendly administrators
2. Brand new teaching hospital
3. Dedication to service (mainly because they are Jesuit)
4. State of the art simulation center

Also, the collaboration and culture is very relaxed and incredibly cooperative. I literally had an incoming M2 basically coach me on how to get into the school.

Reactions: 2 users
The students were all extremely friendly during my interview day. It was also great since I got to stay with one of the M1s (to be M2s). In terms of “special things” it came down to these for me:

1. The helpful and friendly administrators
2. Brand new teaching hospital
3. Dedication to service (mainly because they are Jesuit)
4. State of the art simulation center

Also, the collaboration and culture is very relaxed and incredibly cooperative. I literally had an incoming M2 basically coach me on how to get into the school.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your response! Yes, I am pre-writing their secondaries right now and I am really love their sense of collaboration and service for those in need.

Secondary just now!

Essays:
1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2,000 characters)
2. In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School or Medicine achieve its mission. (2,000 characters)
3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. @Lucca

Secondary just now!

Essays:
3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. @Lucca

+1 Good luck!

So #2 is kind of like a diversity essay? Or am I interpreting it wrong?

This is asking more about how you as a prospective student can help better the community and in particular cure the patient in MORE than just the physical sense. Remember that Jesuits are very interested in showing compassion to others through their service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have an issue when submitting the payment?

is the 2000 characters with space or without? didn't get the secondary yet (not verified) but I want to start writing. I'm guessing it's without spaces but I'd like to make sure. Thanks!

Do you think I have a shot with 140 non clinical volunteer hours + a mission trip?

I know some of these schools highly prioritize non clinical volunteering and that seems to be the lowest part of my app.

Anyone know what acronym this school prefers?

Hmm... I did CUSOM

I looked on their website and I don’t see them using an acronym anywhere. Do you think they’d care? Maybe I’ll just say creighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondary just now!

Essays:

Hello, thanks for posting the prompts. Just wondering is the 3rd essay also 2,000 characters?

Really bummed about their physiology requirement. I took a&p 1 and 2 but apparently those don't count

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

So they say all science courses at 4-year. I took bio 1&2 and physics 1&2 at community colleges. Every other science I took (gen chem, orgo, biochem and a ton of bio electives including human physiology) at a 4 year. Will I be alright to still fill out my secondary? Or will I be screened out because I took those at a community college?

Really bummed about their physiology requirement. I took a&p 1 and 2 but apparently those don't count

Thank you for your post! I didn't even realize this was a requirement here. How did you learn A&P did not count?

Thank you for your post! I didn't even realize this was a requirement here. How did you learn A&P did not count?

Per their website: "Human/Animal/Mammalian Physiology at the advanced level* *Creighton considers Physiology courses that have a college biology or college chemistry prerequisite to be advanced level courses."

The A&P 1 and 2 I took had separate labs but were 2000 level courses and didn't have a bio or chem prerequisite so apparently that doesn't count :(

Per their website: "Human/Animal/Mammalian Physiology at the advanced level* *Creighton considers Physiology courses that have a college biology or college chemistry prerequisite to be advanced level courses."

The A&P 1 and 2 I took had separate labs but were 2000 level courses and didn't have a bio or chem prerequisite so apparently that doesn't count :(
If I was you I would call them about this (unless you already have). I can't imagine they would throw out your courses as they literally have physiology in the name.

Took AP Stats in high school and did not take physio in college so I will not be submitting my secondary to this school. Just wanted to say good luck everyone else!!

Took AP Stats in high school and did not take physio in college so I will not be submitting my secondary to this school. Just wanted to say good luck everyone else!!
Isn't it stupid that this stops you from applying to a school? What an absolute drag.

Isn't it stupid that this stops you from applying to a school? What an absolute drag.

Yeah it's annoying and they're literally the only school out of 36 that I applied to that is doing this. It sucks but it is what it is

So I was thinking about approaching #2 as like a mini diversity essay about what I'd contribute to the creighton medical school community, and then talk a little about my goals as a physician and how that fulfills the mission. Do you guys think that would be what they're looking for?

Anyone have an answer for how you're filling in the volunteer activities portion of the secondary? On AMCAS I projected hours until 2019. Do we project here too?

So I was thinking about approaching #2 as like a mini diversity essay about what I'd contribute to the creighton medical school community, and then talk a little about my goals as a physician and how that fulfills the mission. Do you guys think that would be what they're looking for?
I think that sounds good! Especially if you connect your goals back to some of the Jesuit values.

I think that sounds good! Especially if you connect your goals back to some of the Jesuit values.
Thanks for the feedback! Just had a minor thought though.. My diversity essay is about coming out as LGBTQ in a rural community and how those experiences shaped how I deal with stress/how I treat others who are marginalized in society. Would this be an issue at a Jesuit school? Is Creighton LGBT friendly?

For entering AP lit and comp what should I put for course number, term, and institution? Should I put the info from HS or the info from when it was recognized/awarded in undergrad?

Thanks for the feedback! Just had a minor thought though.. My diversity essay is about coming out as LGBTQ in a rural community and how those experiences shaped how I deal with stress/how I treat others who are marginalized in society. Would this be an issue at a Jesuit school? Is Creighton LGBT friendly?
I can't answer that, but honestly, I would hope they are LGBTQ friendly since the basis of Christianity is love. Not sure it's allowed or colleges to discriminate based on sexuality these days. Hopefully someone else on this thread knows???

I can't answer that, but honestly, I would hope they are LGBTQ friendly since the basis of Christianity is love. Not sure it's allowed or colleges to discriminate based on sexuality these days. Hopefully someone else on this thread knows???

Gonna put this out there but I am Jewish and attended a Jesuit institution for my Master’s and will be attending Creighton this Fall. My best friend from my grad school is Muslim and I had a few LGBTQ friends who were accepted with open arms. Overall the Jesuits are kind people. Hope this helps!

Does anyone have experience with their letters of recommendation? The non-science requirement is impossible for me because I haven't taken a non-science for over a year. Do you think it would be fruitful to call and ask if it is a "must have"?

Does anyone have experience with their letters of recommendation? The non-science requirement is impossible for me because I haven't taken a non-science for over a year. Do you think it would be fruitful to call and ask if it is a "must have"?
If it's on their site, it's a must-have. And a pretty common must-have among medical schools.

If it's on their site, it's a must-have. And a pretty common must-have among medical schools.

n=1 but I am applying to 12 schools and Creighton was the only school that required a non-science letter. I guess I am lucky that many schools in the midwest aren't too strict on their letters.

Just received a complete email and the way it was worded got me super excited because the preview said “we are excited....”

Damn it creighton, teasing me so hard.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received a complete email and the way it was worded got me super excited because the preview said “we are excited....”

Damn it creighton, teasing me so hard.
Totally thought it was an II when I started reading.