2018-2019 Emory University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone's portal updated today?

Members don't see this ad.

Just checked my portal and it's updated! Interviewed 2/18!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate status maybe for people who interviewed before Feb.

Portal Updated.. Accepted!!!!! Interviewed on one of the last interview days!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 2/18...no change in the portal (do yall mind if I ask what it would say exactly in the 'status' tab if you received an acceptance?)

I interviewed 2/18...no change in the portal (do yall mind if I ask what it would say exactly in the 'status' tab if you received an acceptance?)
A new tab titled Admissions Offer comes up

A new tab titled Admissions Offer comes up
Gotcha. Appreciate it. Does anyone know: if someone else who interviewed on 2/18 already recieved an acceptance earlier this morning, is it a clear sign that those who dont have that tab yet did not recieve an offer? Is it just one large 'full interview day' release at a time? Or is it more of a 'rolling' portal change?

Not sure if anyone would have any insight on that haha, but would appreciate any thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Appreciate it. Does anyone know: if someone else who interviewed on 2/18 already recieved an acceptance earlier this morning, is it a clear sign that those who dont have that tab yet did not recieve an offer? Is it just one large 'full interview day' release at a time? Or is it more of a 'rolling' portal change?

Not sure if anyone would have any insight on that haha, but would appreciate any thoughts :)

From my experience, this is the third wave of admisision that I've been waiting for, they all seem to be released at once. I think it's a clear sign that we're either rejected or will offered alternate status.

From my experience, this is the third wave of admisision that I've been waiting for, they all seem to be released at once. I think it's a clear sign that we're either rejected or will offered alternate status.
Got it. Appreciate the help! Congratulations to everyone who got in and best of luck to those still waiting :)

Congrats!!!

Did you just get it or you just saw it?
Oh my! Not sure if it matters but I saw it this morning. I did get an email from minority affairs last week so I already knew I was accepted this batch.

Interviewed 2/8 and got accepted! I'm actually in shock that I got in, to be honest. Found out via portal.

CONGRATS!! Just now? Are the portal updates all at once, I'm dying.
I don't know specifically when the portal updated, but yes, I just saw it in the last 30 minutes! Thank you!! I hope for your sake they're not all at once...

Just got the alternate list email.
1,000 word essay if you want to be selected for the waitlist

Is everyone who interviewed and wasn’t selected automatically put on alternate status?

Reactions: 4 users
Is everyone who interviewed and wasn’t selected automatically put on alternate status?
I have the same question. Is there anyone who interviewed and didn't get alternate status?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true that alternate status will only hear back in June? That's in the "alternate list FAQ" document. That seems awfully late...

Is it true that alternate status will only hear back in June? That's in the "alternate list FAQ" document. That seems awfully late...
I thought the doc said acceted alternates will hear back immediately via phone or email.
Also I know someone accepted off the alternate list from last year’s cycle who heard back in May.

Alternate email today (I thought they said they weren't going to communicate via email??) and not writing a two page essay on why I should be considered for the mf waitlist when there's little to no waitlist movement.

I thought the doc said acceted alternates will hear back immediately via phone or email.
That's what i would expect. But in the FAQ about alternate status document, it says this:"

When will Emory begin accepting Alternates?
We do not know. Every year is different, but we usually begin accepting Alternates sometime in June. We will not be able to accept any Alternates until we have an opening in the first-year class.

"

That's what i would expect. But in the FAQ about alternate status document, it says this:"

When will Emory begin accepting Alternates?
We do not know. Every year is different, but we usually begin accepting Alternates sometime in June. We will not be able to accept any Alternates until we have an opening in the first-year class.

"

Ahh I see, we’re reading different parts of the email. I think what they’re saying is that there is usually the most movement in June but will alert you as soon as you’re accepted. I do know someone accepted off the alternate list last cycle who heard in May.

Attachments

• 79481A90-96BC-4816-BCBB-9486F44B959F.jpeg
    79481A90-96BC-4816-BCBB-9486F44B959F.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 176
I have the same question. Is there anyone who interviewed and didn't get alternate status?
So far it looks like everyone who's not accepted but interviewed gets alternate status...feels bad

Reactions: 2 users
alternate as well. pretty discouraging given the amount of people who will be on this waitlist

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else having a hard time getting accepted into the Facebook group for some reason? I’ve canceled and re-sent my request three times now.
yes same I've been on pending forever and also cancelled and requested again. Nada

Attachments

• F5EDF353-776E-49F3-A1EB-450130FA2ED0.jpeg
    F5EDF353-776E-49F3-A1EB-450130FA2ED0.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 3 users
Alternate also. Of course, they want ANOTHER essay. As if all the essays we have already written don't give them enough of an indication of our interest in the school. Ridiculous.

Alternate also. Of course, they want ANOTHER essay. As if all the essays we have already written don't give them enough of an indication of our interest in the school. Ridiculous.

I’m not writing it lol

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah lmao. I answered "Why medicine?" in my primary AMCAS application. I answered "Why Emory?" in the secondary essay. I answered "Why medicine?" again in the group interview. I answered "Why Emory?" again in the individual interview.

Now somehow they still want more information

It's literally 1000 words too....not 1000 characters, 1000 words jfc ;-;

Yeah lmao. I answered "Why medicine?" in my primary AMCAS application. I answered "Why Emory?" in the secondary essay. I answered "Why medicine?" again in the group interview. I answered "Why Emory?" again in the individual interview.

Now somehow they still want more information

Worst part is, most schools over accept for the class. Therefore, we have to wait until enough "over accepts" decline for even one of the 1000 people on the wait list to even be considered for a spot.

Ridiculous. False hope

One of my mentors went to Emory med in the 80s and told me that there was someone in his class who was initially rejected post-interview by the admissions committee, but responded to their rejection letter with a longer letter explaining why he should have been accepted. The committee actually changed their initial decision and offered him a spot. It's obviously not the 80s anymore, but from what I know about Emory they just want to see that you want to go to Emory so badly that you'd write a 1000 word essay on the slimmest chance you'd be accepted. I'm a lowly student and don't really ever fully know what I'm talking about in giving any kind of advice, but I think they might argue that it would translate to dedication to patients at Grady (e.g. would you do hours of work for a patient when you're already emotionally exhausted & frustrated on the 5% chance it would help them). It seems kinda mean to me (getting your hopes up and gushing about something that might not happen isn't fun - I'm on two waitlists at schools I absolutely loved myself :( ) but that's probably where they're coming from in asking for the essay. Best of luck and I hope you get offered a spot if you still want it!

One of my mentors went to Emory med in the 80s and told me that there was someone in his class who was initially rejected post-interview by the admissions committee, but responded to their rejection letter with a longer letter explaining why he should have been accepted. The committee actually changed their initial decision and offered him a spot. It's obviously not the 80s anymore, but from what I know about Emory they just want to see that you want to go to Emory so badly that you'd write a 1000 word essay on the slimmest chance you'd be accepted. I'm a lowly student and don't really ever fully know what I'm talking about in giving any kind of advice, but I think they might argue that it would translate to dedication to patients at Grady (e.g. would you do hours of work for a patient when you're already emotionally exhausted & frustrated on the 5% chance it would help them). It seems kinda mean to me (getting your hopes up and gushing about something that might not happen isn't fun - I'm on two waitlists at schools I absolutely loved myself :( ) but that's probably where they're coming from in asking for the essay. Best of luck and I hope you get offered a spot if you still want it!

That sounds like a bit of a stretch. As a southern school, I imagine they have a tough time getting good yield from high-stat applicants from elsewhere to commit to come down to Atlanta over the plethora of options up north or in California. Whether that is true or not, they do accept all interviewees to the waitlist and this essay is just another way to weed out any that aren't fully committed or interested to Emory to improve yield.

anyway, don't give up hope if you're really interested! :)

I’m not writing it lol
I'm not writing it either. Gonna go to another school I'm happy I got accepted to. Pulling myself off the wait list. Good luck friends

Anyone know when they are making the calls for Woodruff? Obviously the chances are extremely low but thought I would ask!