2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok way to go Drexel! they totally screwed me over. They are not EVEN CONSIDERING me for need based financial aid, because i did not put my parents on FAFSA... and they told me that unless i add them they will not consider me next year either.... MY PARENTS ARE IN RUSSIA!!! I am a 33 year old immigrant.... WTF?????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
well, you know, this made this a VERY VERY VERY easy decision. I am not comfortable attending the school that is so rigid and selfish about their policies, with administrative staff who would not even TRY to help me solve this problem. I am grateful that i saw this NOW, versus after matriculation.
I am gladly dropping my acceptance! Good luck, everyone.

Reactions: 7 users
ok way to go Drexel! they totally screwed me over. They are not EVEN CONSIDERING me for need based financial aid, because i did not put my parents on FAFSA... and they told me that unless i add them they will not consider me next year either.... MY PARENTS ARE IN RUSSIA!!! I am a 33 year old immigrant.... WTF?????
did you have more luck with your other schools? i was under the impression that all health professional schools required you to include parent information in the fafsa regardless of circumstance.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
well, you know, this made this a VERY VERY VERY easy decision. I am not comfortable attending the school that is so rigid and selfish about their policies, with administrative staff who would not even TRY to help me solve this problem. I am grateful that i saw this NOW, versus after matriculation.

I am sorry you had difficulty, however I am pretty sure those are strict rules set by FAFSA, and not DUCOM. Those rules have been in effect for me since I filled out my first FAFSA for college, and apply to every student at every school in the US. It’s possible this will be the requirement at the other schools you have been accepted to as well.

It would be unfortunate for you give up your acceptance only to get the exact same answer at the other schools. This is not a decision to make instantaneously before checking with other schools.

IMG_2263.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

This is far from Drexel specific. Dartmouth told me the exact same thing. If it was based solely on student income, nobody would get need-based aid because no student can pay for their own tuition (without a trust fund). That is why it is done that way. AMCAS does this with FAP, too.

I am 28 and married, I still report my parent’s stuff. Get no need-based anything either way.

Best of luck wherever you go.

did you have more luck with your other schools? i was under the impression that all health professional schools required you to include parent information in the fafsa regardless of circumstance.

I don’t know of any school that doesn’t. We’re all poor on our own. It is the fairest way to go about it since many students have parental contribution regardless of their age.

I'm just curious how you found out they're not considering you for need-based aid?

Also, every school I have had to submit FAFSA to has requested parental info.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just curious how you found out they're not considering you for need-based aid?

I would imagine they sent an email that says, "You didn't include parental info, if you don't add it we will be unable to consider you for need-based aid."

Reactions: 1 user

Not every school ask for it. Wayne state specifically told us not to put parental information but if we already did, it was okay too (I’m not an international student nor do my parent live outside of U.S tho). I only added parental info because of schools like Drexel which requires it. Different schools have different criteria of how need based scholarship is determine. For instance Wayne state looks at %pell grants during college and amount of loans taken during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry you had difficulty, however I am pretty sure those are strict rules set by FAFSA, and not DUCOM. Those rules have been in effect for me since I filled out my first FAFSA for college, and apply to every student at every school in the US. It’s possible this will be the requirement at the other schools you have been accepted to as well.

It would be unfortunate for you give up your acceptance only to get the exact same answer at the other schools. This is not a decision to make instantaneously before checking with other schools.

View attachment 258459
Actually that depends on the school . ETSU, for example doesn’t require parental information . At all .

They send me an email . And not all schools require it . Drexel is the only school I was accepted to that does .

I am student here who regularly gets emails from admissions asking for student interviewers.

Can I pm you about the school? I didnt have a completely negative experience but it was too positive either...

I'll be honest, I have been so apprehensive about leaving my home state for the first time and then starting something as significant as med school and in a big city much less.... but Drexel felt so much like home to me. The curriculum feels right for me and the students numerically perform above the national average. And then I vibed so hard with the diversity of this school, and the Diversity/Equity/Inclusion faculty are frickin' awesome humans. The staff and faculty truly appear to care a lot about the success and well-being of the students. I clicked incredibly well with pretty much everyone I met, to include faculty, current students, and future classmates. The students I talked with were so energetic and down-to-earth, and their responses were so organic and real that I knew that were telling it to me straight when they said they love the school. Then the social afterward was a lot of fun!

The only downside to the weekend was that the bookstore is closed on the weekends and we couldn't buy any gear.

Obviously, take all of this is with a grain of salt as I'm not a current student, but those are the feels I got!

I second everything you said. Super chill vibes and am very encouraged by the supportive noncompetitive atmosphere between students.

Also was hoping to cop some Drexel swag lol

Yeah, it seemed like they missed a big money-making opportunity by not having the bookstore open. I was also hoping to get some gear

I felt the same way after my interview years ago. My interviewer found me during orientation and congratulated me for being there, so it was definitely memorable for him. It felt really nice.

This was my experience too at ASD this weekend! I was walking and talking to several future classmates, and my interviewer stopped and congratulated me by name. It was very nice and personable, which was my impression overall for the day too.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone tried to buy gear off the website and struggled to find sizes available?

If tomorrow is supposedly the last day the admissions committee meets to discuss applicants, when do you supposed people who interviewed at the beginning of April will hear back?

If tomorrow is supposedly the last day the admissions committee meets to discuss applicants, when do you supposed people who interviewed at the beginning of April will hear back?

after the last scheduled meeting i was told that they hold weekly meetings to review the remaining people in the pool and they will keep doing that each week until the class is filled. My guess is that at this point everyone is put in the same pool and you get ranked and the top ranking spots will be offered acceptances and they just keep that line rolling.

I interviewed late-mid March and i know someone who interviewed early March just got an acceptance. So i'd guess if you were a good candidate for them then perhaps in less than a month, but i'm just spitballin

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawing from here. Hopefully my acceptance goes to one of you waiting!

Reactions: 8 users
We are not required to select “plan to enroll” through AMCAS by April 30th correct? I believe it is only required to make a selection through the Drexel portal.

We are not required to select “plan to enroll” through AMCAS by April 30th correct? I believe it is only required to make a selection through the Drexel portal.

My understanding is that you do need to choose "Plan to Enroll" via the new AMCAS traffic rules but you don't have to change it to "Commit to Enroll". Keeping yourself on "Plan to Enroll" doesn't affect your standing on any waitlists but choosing "Commit to Enroll" will jeopardize those spots. Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong...

Hope that helps!

My understanding is that you do need to choose "Plan to Enroll" via the new AMCAS traffic rules but you don't have to change it to "Commit to Enroll". Keeping yourself on "Plan to Enroll" doesn't affect your standing on any waitlists but choosing "Commit to Enroll" will jeopardize those spots. Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong...

Hope that helps!

Do not believe that is the case, see image below. I believe commit to enroll is the only deadline....

Attachments

• CC238888-9EE9-449F-806C-949CFC18BD9D.jpeg
    CC238888-9EE9-449F-806C-949CFC18BD9D.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 139

Hope that helps!
There is a PowerPoint slide in the portal that says you need to change your status in the Drexel portal but doesn’t say AMCAS. Earlier someone called to ask and I think admissions said the same thing. BUT you can still only hold 1 acceptance on the 30th

JUST TO REAFFIRM!!!!
The “plan to enroll” through AMCAS by April 30th is not required correct? I believe it is only required to make a selection through the Drexel portal and that there is only that commit to enroll deadline on July 15th I believe.

Interviewed end of March and no, this was the first I had heard from Drexel since the interview!
Would you be able to tell us your stats and the date of your interview by any chance?
I interviewed on March 20 and I'm thinking about going to get a job so I just want to gauge where I"m at right now

Is there any chance of getting an interview still from the pre-interview waitlist or no?

Is there any chance of getting an interview still from the pre-interview waitlist or no?
I was told (on here) "no," by a user who says they are a Drexel student and works with the adcom.
However, I still have a sliver of hope that isn't true.

Would you be able to tell us your stats and the date of your interview by any chance?
I interviewed on March 20 and I'm thinking about going to get a job so I just want to gauge where I"m at right now
I interviewed on a date very similar to yours, however, I do not want to give a specific day for privacy reasons.

OOS non-URM
cumulative undergrad GPA 3.65
graduate GPA 3.85
MCAT 513

Reactions: 1 users
Are they required to provide a decision by 4/30 for those still waiting on interview results?

Are they required to provide a decision by 4/30 for those still waiting on interview results?
I wish it was a requirement- the application cycle is hard enough as it is. They should have to at least let us know if we’ll be on the waitlist.

WL email a couple days ago. Interviewed at the end of March. Seems like they've been sporadically sending out decisions so hopefully this helps keep people on their toes (I was not expecting a decision until late April either).

Lmao my application here is still "ready." Have not heard anything since submitting in July.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I wonder what the odds of actually getting off the waitlist are. Drexel’s my best hope.