2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the first interview is next week. I am interviewing here last week and did last cycle as well. I thought the interview day was fine. You usually have lunch with a M1 so its kinda hard to get info from someone who just started and you arent able to ask about quality of clinicals and how the school sets you up for STEP. You do get some downtime during the interview (30 min iirc) so if you wanna bring a book or just chill with the other interviewees. Also you get a free shirt. The intro is done via a video of the Dean of Curriculum and then there is a rep who is there to answer questions. The actual interviews were pretty laid back and the group interview is really just you talking to the student over lunch.
Mhm. Interesting that they also have a group interview as well. What does that really entail?

Members don't see this ad.

Mhm. Interesting that they also have a group interview as well. What does that really entail?
Its literally just talking during the tour. Its more laid back than a regular interview and they kinda just wanna find out basic stuff about you. Honestly didnt feel like an interview.

Its literally just talking during the tour. Its more laid back than a regular interview and they kinda just wanna find out basic stuff about you. Honestly didnt feel like an interview.

It isn’t meant to. More of a way to see if you gel well with other people and would you fit in at DUCOM. So, don’t be a weirdo and sit there on your phone and not say a word and you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn’t meant to. More of a way to see if you gel well with other people and would you fit in at DUCOM. So, don’t be a weirdo and sit there on your phone and not say a word and you should be good.
Yeah I know people get freaked out by the idea of a group interview but it wasnt anything like what people thought it would be. Its like they may ask you some basic questions about what you do, where you're from, why you chose the field/school, and all those common questions just to see if you would be a good fit for the school.

II this afternoon, OOS!

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday OOS!!
Earliest date was October 3rd with lots of options in October

Reactions: 2 users
II today! First one!

Submitted 7/16, complete 7/30, scheduled interview on 10/3

Reactions: 6 users
Any past applicants know how likely it is to be off of “hold” status?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I know people get freaked out by the idea of a group interview but it wasnt anything like what people thought it would be. Its like they may ask you some basic questions about what you do, where you're from, why you chose the field/school, and all those common questions just to see if you would be a good fit for the school.
Congrats on your interview! Quick question: Do they still have that essay portion of the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I completed my Dexel application on August 8th and was invited to interview for UPenn. Can I send Drexel an ITA email? Do they respond favorably?

Did anyone have this happen? I submitted my app 2 weeks ago and all the checkmarks are green except the "Complete" one which says next to it "your secondary has not been submitted". Even though the "secondary submission" checkmark is green and confirmed I submitted it on 08/22.

So I completed my Dexel application on August 8th and was invited to interview for UPenn. Can I send Drexel an ITA email? Do they respond favorably?
I saw a list that has schools that are and arent receptive. Drexel usually isnt but jefferson and temple usually are.

Anyone know how the new curriculum differs? I tried to scour the website but many of the descriptions were vague. Is it now full mandatory PBL with no lectures? Is it an even split? More leaning one-way? What about grading system? Thanks guys!

Anybody interviewing on the 20th wanna get cheesteaks after the interview?

Anyone know how the new curriculum differs? I tried to scour the website but many of the descriptions were vague. Is it now full mandatory PBL with no lectures? Is it an even split? More leaning one-way? What about grading system? Thanks guys!

There are no in-person lectures, all classwork is prepared and you review it online. Grading is p/f.

II this morning. Out of state. Complete in July. LM 72.

Should I be concerned about traveling to philly this week with the hurricane or no? Forgive me if this is a dumb question I’m from the Midwest lol

Should I be concerned about traveling to philly this week with the hurricane or no? Forgive me if this is a dumb question I’m from the Midwest lol

We typically only get the weaker remnants of hurricanes so I would not be worried about the hurricane hitting Philly (Sandy was the last one that hit us pretty much head-on and we really did not know how to handle it because it is uncommon). I'd be concerned if you were flying in from the Carolinas but you should hopefully be fine coming in from the midwest.

We typically only get the weaker remnants of hurricanes so I would not be worried about the hurricane hitting Philly (Sandy was the last one that hit us pretty much head-on and we really did not know how to handle it because it is uncommon). I'd be concerned if you were flying in from the Carolinas but you should hopefully be fine coming in from the midwest.
Thanks!

For people who were able to schedule interviews today, what months are open for scheduling? I can’t upload a picture of myself until midnight

Anybody interviewing on the 20th wanna get cheesteaks after the interview?
i highly recommend Jim's Steaks on south street or Ishkabibble's. Also on south st. Stay tf away from university city and west philly if you want good food. If you go to Jim's, you HAVE to try the whiz cheese

I was on the old curriculum, which for the IFM option, had little PBL.

Interview day went well for me. I felt a sense of belonging and really liked the school coming out of my interview. The interview day itself felt pretty relaxed. I connected well with my faculty interviewer as well.
Can you speak about the quality of clinical rotations?

Can you speak about the quality of clinical rotations?

Im at one of the Drexel regional campuses for my third year clerkships and I am loving it. I am learning so much and working with a great group of people on each of the clerkships I’ve had. I am hearing similar things from classmates!

Im at one of the Drexel regional campuses for my third year clerkships and I am loving it. I am learning so much and working with a great group of people on each of the clerkships I’ve had. I am hearing similar things from classmates!
Is it more observational or experiential?

II here today. Complete early August. Very excited!!!

II OOS today! Complete 7/9, stats in signature. I'll see you guys on October 11th!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II this afternoon! Submitted 7/7. Really excited about this school!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, sorry. that is what I meant!

There is some shadowing involved but most of the time I am 1 on 1 with a patient before presenting that patient to a resident or attending. Surgery is obviously a different story lol

Reactions: 1 user
i submitted my app a while ago but i forgot about the casper test (rip to me) so i just got my complete email today. i was half asleep when i read it and the first line started with "We are pleased to inform you...." so my 3 hrs of sleep brain though it was an II and i freaked out for 2 seconds till i realized it was just the complete email. clearly im doing well lol.

Can any current students share how they like the new curriculum? About how many hours/week are you on campus for required activities? Do you like the online lecture/flipped classroom approach? Is it made semi-clear what to focus on for exams or is it just wading through tons of textbooks/articles/online lectures without much guidance?

Thanks!

Can any current students share how they like the new curriculum? About how many hours/week are you on campus for required activities? Do you like the online lecture/flipped classroom approach? Is it made semi-clear what to focus on for exams or is it just wading through tons of textbooks/articles/online lectures without much guidance?

Thanks!
Facts:
Overall you have anywhere a max of 15 hours of lectures you are responsible per week. For the first year, Mondays (and sometimes Wednesdays) are "free" so that students can watch lectures and understand the material on their own. You are NOT expected to finish every lecture on Monday itself. Throughout the week there are problem solving/group work sessions related to a topic, and on Friday there is a multidisciplinary review.

My thoughts:
I personally am a fan of in-person lectures so I was very skeptical going into this kind of curriculum.
That being said, I feel like there is ample face time with the instructors for each course and most of the problem solving sessions are very helpful in solidifying the information.
The drawback to this is that if you walk into the session not knowing whats going on, you will remain clueless.
They say that the max is 15 hours of lecture per week, but in reality you could be spending anywhere between 10 to 24 hours per week getting through the material because it might be a really light week with 3-4 lectures, or it might be a heavy week with 8-12 lectures. You will be taking more time than alloted in order to take notes and try to understand the material, not just watch the videos and call it a day.
All the lectures will be assigned to specific timeslots that are the recommended time to do them, you don't HAVE to. What we were suggested by the MS2's is to focus on watching and learning the lectures related to the problem solving/lab section directly coming up. Its been working so far for most people.
The number of live sessions/problem based learning sessions/other mandatory sessions varies week to week but I'd say is never more than 6 hours (there are other live sessions that are optional that you can skip if you feel like you know the material. The Friday reviews are optional as well but are another 2/3 hours that you can get instructor lead teaching if you'd like)

Overall, a majority of the responsibility to LEARN the material is on the student, but it is very guided because after a live session, you'll know what key topics you should know. Everything else does a good job of either helping you test whether you've got it down, or identify where you need to go back and spend more time.

Facts:
Overall you have anywhere a max of 15 hours of lectures you are responsible per week. For the first year, Mondays (and sometimes Wednesdays) are "free" so that students can watch lectures and understand the material on their own. You are NOT expected to finish every lecture on Monday itself. Throughout the week there are problem solving/group work sessions related to a topic, and on Friday there is a multidisciplinary review.

My thoughts:
I personally am a fan of in-person lectures so I was very skeptical going into this kind of curriculum.
That being said, I feel like there is ample face time with the instructors for each course and most of the problem solving sessions are very helpful in solidifying the information.
The drawback to this is that if you walk into the session not knowing whats going on, you will remain clueless.
They say that the max is 15 hours of lecture per week, but in reality you could be spending anywhere between 10 to 24 hours per week getting through the material because it might be a really light week with 3-4 lectures, or it might be a heavy week with 8-12 lectures. You will be taking more time than alloted in order to take notes and try to understand the material, not just watch the videos and call it a day.
All the lectures will be assigned to specific timeslots that are the recommended time to do them, you don't HAVE to. What we were suggested by the MS2's is to focus on watching and learning the lectures related to the problem solving/lab section directly coming up. Its been working so far for most people.
The number of live sessions/problem based learning sessions/other mandatory sessions varies week to week but I'd say is never more than 6 hours (there are other live sessions that are optional that you can skip if you feel like you know the material. The Friday reviews are optional as well but are another 2/3 hours that you can get instructor lead teaching if you'd like)

Overall, a majority of the responsibility to LEARN the material is on the student, but it is very guided because after a live session, you'll know what key topics you should know. Everything else does a good job of either helping you test whether you've got it down, or identify where you need to go back and spend more time.

Thanks for the detailed response! That actually sounds like a really solid way to do things. I mainly would be worried about having to spend so much time on campus at required sessions that I wouldn’t be able to work through the online lecture material.

Aside from the curriculum, how do you like Drexel? Thanks!

Of all the Philly medical school personas I've experienced (I'm not naming any in particular or bashing any other school) I liked Drexel's best because the people here (students and professors alike) felt the most genuine; they all want to see each student succeed.
I am not much of a city person so the fact that the campus is out on its own in East Falls is great because I don't feel claustrophobic like I would if I was right in the city. This is a point of dissatisfaction among a lot of people (the fact that the campus and the hospital aren't right next to each other). Its definitely a place where I KNOW that I can grow and be supported; instead of the feeling of this is an institution looking to use students to benefit the institution.