2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

Started by Lawpy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any acceptances this week?
I'm thinking we've passed the peak acceptance season. There might be more movement after June 15th when the "commit to enroll" deadline passes but that doesn't do much good for anyone with acceptances elsewhere (as they will be required to withdraw from all other waitlists). I would bet from now on acceptances will trickle out one at a time when they become available, unfortunately. But all it takes is one acceptance, so let's keep our hopes up!
 
I'm thinking we've passed the peak acceptance season. There might be more movement after June 15th when the "commit to enroll" deadline passes but that doesn't do much good for anyone with acceptances elsewhere (as they will be required to withdraw from all other waitlists). I would bet from now on acceptances will trickle out one at a time when they become available, unfortunately. But all it takes is one acceptance, so let's keep our hopes up!

June 15th is the CTE deadline for EVMS? I thought they didn't have one or that it was going to be in July...
 
Just withdrew my acceptance to EVMS as I was accepted off the waitlist at another school! I would have been super excited to go here but another school was just calling my name. I posted my stats earlier in the thread but incase anyone was wondering I'm ORM, OOS, LizzyM around 71, and top third of the waitlist. Good luck and hope it goes to one of you guys!
 
Can someone please share what the typical weekly schedule looks like during the first semester ? I am planning to watch lectures from home , but as far as the mandatory attendance things , what days are they typically on and till what time ?
 
Can someone please share what the typical weekly schedule looks like during the first semester ? I am planning to watch lectures from home , but as far as the mandatory attendance things , what days are they typically on and till what time ?
Mandatory lectures vary but during the first semester but your "guaranteed" mandatories are: anatomy lab 1-5+p (either Tu or Th), clinical skills 2-5p (the Tu or Th that you're not in anatomy; may not be weekly), and a TCL group wrap up session every week usually in the morning for 2-3 hrs (usually a M or F). You may have 1-2 mandatory panels to attend which are usually 1-2 hrs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M&L
Mandatory lectures vary but during the first semester but your "guaranteed" mandatories are: anatomy lab 1-5+p (either Tu or Th), clinical skills 2-5p (the Tu or Th that you're not in anatomy; may not be weekly), and a TCL group wrap up session every week usually in the morning for 2-3 hrs (usually a M or F). You may have 1-2 mandatory panels to attend which are usually 1-2 hrs.
Thank you so much! are weekends normally free?
 
Thank you so much! are weekends normally free?
Yes, weekends are free during M1 and M2 year 🙂
(definitely enjoy it bc after that, you will probably never have another guaranteed free weekend until you become an attending at the earliest lol)
 
  • Haha
Reactions: M&L
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have an idea of in-state movement for EVMS waitlist for females in the past or this cycle? I am on the top third of the waitlist and admissions basically told me to give up hope.
 
Anyone have an idea of in-state movement for EVMS waitlist for females in the past or this cycle? I am on the top third of the waitlist and admissions basically told me to give up hope.

What did they say? Did you call them or email them? I'm in the same position 🙁
 
What did they say? Did you call them or email them? I'm in the same position 🙁

I called them yesterday! They just said that all in-state positions are full & that the OOS waitlist has been moving a lot but there is very little hope for the in-state ones. I am really hoping lots of people pick VCU or UVA over evms if they do get off those waitlists since that is my only source of hope rn
 
I called them yesterday! They just said that all in-state positions are full & that the OOS waitlist has been moving a lot but there is very little hope for the in-state ones. I am really hoping lots of people pick VCU or UVA over evms if they do get off those waitlists since that is my only source of hope rn
Thanks for sharing. I'm an IS ORM male so I'll take this to mean I should mostly give up too. Best of luck to you while we both bank on students picking the other state schools over EVMS
 
I called them yesterday! They just said that all in-state positions are full & that the OOS waitlist has been moving a lot but there is very little hope for the in-state ones. I am really hoping lots of people pick VCU or UVA over evms if they do get off those waitlists since that is my only source of hope rn

Hello. I checked out a while ago but I’m checking back in to ask if this was the first time they told you this? They told me back in May that wait list prioritizes OOS because of they’re more likely to leave for their instate school and they want to pad the losses and that since May IS has been full. I checked out after that because I knew as IS middle 1/3rd I didn’t have a chance. This was the only md I applied to because I wanted to live in Hampton roads and thought IS was my best option. Man was I wrong. Luckily I applied to some DO schools and although and got accepted to them, they’re not my first choice. Hopefully everyone waitlisted here has finished their applications for the next cycle or has been admitted elsewhere. I wish you all the best.

-unacceptable
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted applicant here. Dr. Kimble called me last night, but left no message and I have not received any emails. Anyone have an idea what this could mean?
 
Waitlisted applicant here. Dr. Kimble called me last night, but left no message and I have not received any emails. Anyone have an idea what this could mean?

How do you know it was Dr. Kimble though? And wouldn't he make the calls during office hours like 9 to 5 pm? But yeah, most probs an acceptance🙂
 
Are you IS or OOS? Most likely means you got in
OOS female. Returned the call an hour later and it went through to his voicemail. You would think office hours would make more sense, but this whole process has been such a roller coaster nothing surprises me anymore haha. Thanks for the insight; crossing my fingers I'll hear good news tomorrow.
 
Does that just mean that by July 18 all the people who have been accepted there have to either commit to going to evms or not? So does that mean there is no movement at all after commit deadlines?
My understanding is it is the date that all who have accepted have to commit or not. So that means most movement after commit deadlines is done, but there are probably some students here and there that for whatever reason, still withdraw, most likely due to their financial aid packages not being ideal.

Edit: it actually depends on how fast a given school fills seats that are vacated on their CTE date. For example, if 10 out of state students commit to schools other than EVMS, it may take EVMS days or even weeks to find 10 more suitable waitlistees to take those spots.
 
Last edited:
Anyone have any idea on how many people have CTE'd at EVMS or if most people are holding on since their CTE is a little later than most?
I called them two weeks ago to ask essentially this. They wouldn't give me specifics but basically said the in state waitlist has virtually stopped moving and that they couldn't predict whether or not that would still be the case around/after the CTE date
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called them two weeks ago to ask essentially this. They wouldn't give me specifics but basically said the in state waitlist hasn't has virtually stopped moving and that they couldn't predict whether or not that would still be the case around/after the CTE date

That's a bummer 🙁 well hopefully we see some IS movement in July
 
I'm trying to make a decision about EVMS vs a school closer to home. I noticed EVMS had a lower match rate in 2018 of 88%. Does anyone have any info on why 2018 was a bad year when others have been so successful?
 
I'm trying to make a decision about EVMS vs a school closer to home. I noticed EVMS had a lower match rate in 2018 of 88%. Does anyone have any info on why 2018 was a bad year when others have been so successful?

This is an interesting observation and I’d like to hear if current students have any speculations, though in 2019 EVMS did post an impressive 98% match rate and the match list itself was pretty impressive
 
I'm trying to make a decision about EVMS vs a school closer to home. I noticed EVMS had a lower match rate in 2018 of 88%. Does anyone have any info on why 2018 was a bad year when others have been so successful?
I do not know the details of the 2018 match since I was an M2 at the time (and honestly Step 1 was on my radar a lot more than the match lol) but it was definitely an anomaly and even the faculty were shocked with how bad the turnout was. EVMS definitely has an impressive track record with matches otherwise and I don't think it hurts to reach out to Dr. Kimble to see what he has to say about it. Usually matches go awry when people aren't making reasonable rank lists or have a glaring red flag in their application; for what it's worth, all M4s are required to meet with either the associate dean or clerkship director to discuss M4 planning and have their proposed potential program list reviewed to make sure they're applying to reasonable places.
 
I do not know the details of the 2018 match since I was an M2 at the time (and honestly Step 1 was on my radar a lot more than the match lol) but it was definitely an anomaly and even the faculty were shocked with how bad the turnout was. EVMS definitely has an impressive track record with matches otherwise and I don't think it hurts to reach out to Dr. Kimble to see what he has to say about it. Usually matches go awry when people aren't making reasonable rank lists or have a glaring red flag in their application; for what it's worth, all M4s are required to meet with either the associate dean or clerkship director to discuss M4 planning and have their proposed potential program list reviewed to make sure they're applying to reasonable places.
This is really helpful, thank you!