2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any acceptances this week? When do you think next wave of acceptances will come?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To current students: is waiting until early June for housing reasonable?

Reactions: 2 users
yeah, i really wannt know too. I have been trying to find something for first week for August as a move-in date, and every apartment complex told me to call after june 1st.... they all said that it is way too early, and only apartments they have open now are for beginning of july maximum.... But maybe it is different if you are looking for a room vs apartment... not sure...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have there been any OOS males accepted of the waitlist on here yet? I'm in 1/3 so I thought I had a decent chance but haven't had any luck yet

Experiences play a big role, it's not as simple as residency and sex.
Yes, I understand this. I wasn't trying to imply that I was expecting to get accepted because of my place on the waitlist, I know other things go into the decision. I was just wondering if any movement has been seen with OOS males as I have noticed movement with IS/OOS females and IS males.

Have there been any OOS males accepted of the waitlist on here yet? I'm in 1/3 so I thought I had a decent chance but haven't had any luck yet
I was on Friday and declined my offer today. Best of luck to you. It’s a great school and was very high on my list.

currently waitlisted @ 2 schools but beginning to prepare for a new application this coming cycle. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to call or email and inquire about what I need to improve on?

Schools won't tell you while you are still actively under consideration.
False. Granted it was in-person, I received advice last cycle from a school at which I was still being considered. If some schools do have this policy (never hurts to ask...), ask similar schools that rejected you.
currently waitlisted @ 2 schools but beginning to prepare for a new application this coming cycle. Do you guys think it's a bad idea to call or email and inquire about what I need to improve on?
The issue is that the multifaceted nature of applications are difficult to convey via email, but certainly try to setup a phone meeting. Alternatively, any premed adviser should have a decent taste for pros/cons.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many days applicants who are accepted off the waitlist have to either accept or turn down their acceptance?

I don't think it hurts to ask! One of my state schools gave feedback to rejected and waitlisted students though phone.

the financial aid portal says that 30-60 days before semester starts the "awards" tab shows on your financial aid portal with all the information. Is that what you are asking about?
Yes, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, definitely! June-July is when the rush of housing happens for some reason. It freaked me out when I was in your shoes, too, but many student leases end in July/August.

Does anyone know how many days applicants who are accepted off the waitlist have to either accept or turn down their acceptance?

I just checked my letter, it was 14 days. That time might shorten as the summer goes on.

Yes, definitely! June-July is when the rush of housing happens for some reason. It freaked me out when I was in your shoes, too, but many student leases end in July/August.

I just checked my letter, it was 14 days. That time might shorten as the summer goes on.
Do you by any chance know what the white coat day would look like hours wise? I believe it is 16th this year . Is it normally in the morning ? Do we get that Saturday Sunday off , or we will be busy ? Are guests allowed ? Two of my friends wanted to come , and i am trying to see if they will actually have time with me .

Do you by any chance know what the white coat day would look like hours wise? I believe it is 16th this year . Is it normally in the morning ? Do we get that Saturday Sunday off , or we will be busy ? Are guests allowed ? Two of my friends wanted to come , and i am trying to see if they will actually have time with me .

It's normally in the afternoon, and yes, guests are allowed! I don't see any reason why you'd be busy over the weekend. You should definitely spend some time with them. :)

Mine said 5 days last Friday.

It seems there is no movement of waitlist this week...

It seems there is no movement of waitlist this week...
I spoke with someone on the phone and was told that the admissions committee has been very busy with graduation this week. So hopefully next week, we'll get some movement!

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully another round this week! Seems they do it every two weeks. And graduation is over.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted by email off the waitlist at 11:39 today! It's my first acceptance so I'll likely be taking it. I'm OOS, ORM, and have a LizzyM score around 71. I interviewed on March 8th and was waitlisted to top third on March 20th.

edit: Also sent an update and letter of rec after waitlist

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted by email off the waitlist at 11:39 today! It's my first acceptance so I'll likely be taking it. I'm OOS, ORM, and have a LizzyM score around 71. I interviewed on March 8th and was waitlisted to top third on March 20th.

edit: Also sent an update and letter of rec after waitlist
Congratulations!!! I also just got accepted by email off of the waitlist at 9:30 am MT!! I already went in and accepted the offer, considering it is my first and I absolutely love the school! I am OOS, interviewed March 29th, and was placed on the middle third of the waitlist. I sent updated grades/experiences after my last semester as well as an LOI. My LizzyM score is 67.70. Good luck to everybody!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all! Seems as if they're just doing OOS :dead:

Also accepted today, OOS, interviewed early November but since I have been accepted to an in state school will most likely be declining. Hope it goes to one of you!

Also I never sent any update and was placed in the top 1/3 of the waitlist.

Also accepted today, OOS, interviewed early November but since I have been accepted to an in state school will most likely be declining. Hope it goes to one of you!

Also I never sent any update and was placed in the top 1/3 of the waitlist.
Would you mind sharing demographics?

congratulations to everyone accepted today! Unfortunately, I didn't get the email :(
seriously losing hope as an ORM male in top 1/3.
Does anyone know if there's going to be any more movement? I know today's was a pretty big movement.. is this the end of the road?

congratulations to everyone accepted today! Unfortunately, I didn't get the email :(
Does anyone know if there's going to be any more movement? I know today's was a pretty big movement.. is this the end of the road?

Nah, historically we've seen movement through the end of June- just significantly less so, of course. Then there's one of my classmates who got accepted a few days before orientation but that's obviously a rarity. :)

Thank you!! And I don't know much about the waitlist process to be honest, but I was almost completely resigned to a gap year until this morning. Keep your hopes up as long as there is a chance! Good luck and I hope you get that email!

Withdrew OOS acceptance today. Love EVMS and was sad to withdraw. Hope it goes to one of you!

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday! Good luck guys

Does anyone remember from interview day if they said they're switching to pass/fail for the 2019/2020 academic year?

Considering possibly moving to Horizons apartment complex in Chesapeake. It says it is 4.3 miles away, 15 min drive.... do you guys think it is a bad idea?

Considering possibly moving to Horizons apartment complex in Chesapeake. It says it is 4.3 miles away, 15 min drive.... do you guys think it is a bad idea?

Not a current student, but I'd be wary if the drive involves a tunnel. The Hampton Roads tunnels can cause some crazy traffic back-ups.
@mcatjelly ?

For people who have gotten accepted off of the waitlist recently, (Tuesday, May 21st for me), have you received your network login information yet? I know some people who were accepted earlier said they had to wait 20 or so days, but I think for those of us who were accepted late, we are sort of in a rush to get our financial aid applications in.

For people who have gotten accepted off of the waitlist recently, (Tuesday, May 21st for me), have you received your network login information yet? I know some people who were accepted earlier said they had to wait 20 or so days, but I think for those of us who were accepted late, we are sort of in a rush to get our financial aid applications in.
I wasn't accepted from the waitlist so my case might be different, but I got accepted April 15th and it took about a week for me to get my login information! I definitely didn't wait 20 days

I was accepted Tuesday as well and haven't gotten anything yet

There's no tunnel involved but you will no doubt hit traffic crossing over from Chesapeake to Norfolk and vice versa. It's definitely doable to live in Chesapeake since I know some of my classmates live "farther out" ie. VA Beach and Newport News but here are things to consider:
1) During M1 and M2 years, do you plan to self study mostly at home or on campus? If the former, keep in mind that most students will be living near campus so you may feel isolated from your peers. On the plus side, living farther from campus will let you "escape" the academic atmosphere.
2) During M3 clerkships, many of your rotations will be on campus--if you're expected to report at 6a (or earlier!) for clinical responsibilities, are you willing to wake up even earlier to buffer in commute time? (Keep in mind that sleep is a hot commodity especially during M3 year)
3) You will find that time is incredibly valuable in med school and one of the skills you will develop/learn to adapt to is time efficiency and management. Are you willing to spend 30+ min round trip of pure driving time every day if necessary?

Just a few questions for thought, hopefully this helps you consider things that may not have been on your radar! :)

There's no tunnel involved but you will no doubt hit traffic crossing over from Chesapeake to Norfolk and vice versa. It's definitely doable to live in Chesapeake since I know some of my classmates live "farther out" ie. VA Beach and Newport News but here are things to consider:
1) During M1 and M2 years, do you plan to self study mostly at home or on campus? If the former, keep in mind that most students will be living near campus so you may feel isolated from your peers. On the plus side, living farther from campus will let you "escape" the academic atmosphere.
2) During M3 clerkships, many of your rotations will be on campus--if you're expected to report at 6a (or earlier!) for clinical responsibilities, are you willing to wake up even earlier to buffer in commute time? (Keep in mind that sleep is a hot commodity especially during M3 year)
3) You will find that time is incredibly valuable in med school and one of the skills you will develop/learn to adapt to is time efficiency and management. Are you willing to spend 30+ min round trip of pure driving time every day if necessary?

Just a few questions for thought, hopefully this helps you consider things that may not have been on your radar! :)
thank you . I definitely have not thought about the isolation part. I never went to a regular traditional college so I really want to be involved.

I do study at home, so that is not a problem. That being said, I am trying very hard to find something within walking distance from the campus, but it is not easy with two big pets (over weight limit). I still have a lot of time, - honestly, apartments for first week of august move in date are not even available yet, - but I have started "looking around". At this point i am just keeping Chesapeake as a backup, just in case, but i am definitely trying to find something near campus. And, even if i do move there, i will be staying there for first two years, - i definitely want to be near campus for 3rd and 4th year.

i sincerely apologize for using this forum as my primary source of information, but i have one more question: I am looking for apartment downtown or in Ghent, according to google map all of them are about 20 min walk. I do have a car, but i was considering parking it in my apartment complex most of the time, and getting a cheap bicycle to get to school and back (to save on gas, and get extra exercise). is this a bad idea? Is there a place on campus where i can chain my bicycle? is it safe, or i am risking it? (i am planning to get a cheap bicycle, so it wont be very "attractive")

i sincerely apologize for using this forum as my primary source of information, but i have one more question: I am looking for apartment downtown or in Ghent, according to google map all of them are about 20 min walk. I do have a car, but i was considering parking it in my apartment complex most of the time, and getting a cheap bicycle to get to school and back (to save on gas, and get extra exercise). is this a bad idea? Is there a place on campus where i can chain my bicycle? is it safe, or i am risking it? (i am planning to get a cheap bicycle, so it wont be very "attractive")
I know of a few people who biked to school so it's definitely doable! There are bike racks outside the campus buildings and theft of bike parts does occur but it's super rare and usually only if you leave your bike overnight or for long periods of time. (If you're super worried about bike theft, I believe there are also bike racks on the other side of the building near Lester/Lester Lawn which is center of campus and almost completely out of sight from public view.)

Withdrawing from WL as I got accepted to my dream school. ORM IS male if that helps anyway

Reactions: 5 users