2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected just now. Oh well, it was nice to dream about Mayo but I should have known I wasn't Mayo material.

S/o to admitted folks and best of luck to the fine people on the WL.

- SG out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-II rejection just now. Disappointed but didn’t really think I was a good fit during my interview day, so not surprised. Congrats to everyone accepted! And good luck to the waitlist folks!

Got the R just now as well. Stings, but all is well. I just gotta keep telling myself I didn’t want to pay all that money in tuition anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, did anyone who got an R receive a highly interested email or submit a LO(Intent or Interest)? Best of luck to all of you!

Hit with that fat R and sent in a letter of interest with no highly interested email. Finna get that 4 year glow up and come back swinging during residency apps

Reactions: 8 users
Post-II rejection just now. Disappointed but didn’t really think I was a good fit during my interview day, so not surprised. Congrats to everyone accepted! And good luck to the waitlist folks!

+1 I hate to say it but I think they made the right decision in rejecting me. I don’t think I would have fit there at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the R post interview as well.... sent in an LOI, no communication from interviewers though. Oh well.

Another R here
Sorry to hear that @Sheiko , we had the same interview day and I thought everyone I interviewed with was incredibly kind and would make great physicians. This made me happy because I knew that if I wasn't accepted, the accpetance would be going to someone great but it was also terrible because everyone was amazing and really well qualified so I probably wouldn't get accepted (and ultimately I was waitlisted). Just wanted to say best of luck to you

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear that @Sheiko , we had the same interview day and I thought everyone I interviewed with was incredibly kind and would make great physicians. This made me happy because I knew that if I wasn't accepted, the accpetance would be going to someone great but it was also terrible because everyone was amazing and really well qualified so I probably wouldn't get accepted (and ultimately I was waitlisted). Just wanted to say best of luck to you
That's very kind of you to say, and I appreciate it. I felt the same about all the folks I met on my interview day, and wish you all the best going forward! :)

Anyone hear anything about financial aid?

Nothing yet... I haven't gotten the link to pay my fee yet either

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when we might hear back about financial aid?

I called on Tuesday around COB and just got the link about 2 hours ago! RE: Financial Aid, I was told when I called my SSN in that if I don't get an email by Monday I should call on Tuesday to check.

Thanks for the info y'all. Might call tomorrow or the next day.

Did we need to submit anything for financial aid other than FAFSA? Acceptance letter didn't mention anything additional but I don't want to miss out in case there are any other forms.

Did we need to submit anything for financial aid other than FAFSA? Acceptance letter didn't mention anything additional but I don't want to miss out in case there are any other forms.
Nothing besides FAFSA. I emailed Susan with the same question.

Any current students have advice for waitlistees? Not really sure if there's anything we should be doing right now, especially if we already sent in LOIs post interview.

Any current students have advice for waitlistees? Not really sure if there's anything we should be doing right now, especially if we already sent in LOIs post interview.

I probably won't do this myself (I'm also waitlisted) since this isn't my top choice but maybe if it is you could send a letter of intent saying if you get off the waitlist you will commit to going there no matter what? Maybe wait until down the line when it's closer to april and waitlist movement might start.

I probably won't do this myself (I'm also waitlisted) since this isn't my top choice but maybe if it is you could send a letter of intent saying if you get off the waitlist you will commit to going there no matter what? Maybe wait until down the line when it's closer to april and waitlist movement might start.

I thought about this as well, it just feels strange to me to send two LOIs haha. But not a bad idea perhaps given the time elapsed in between the two...

I’m in the same boat. I don’t really have any significant updates since I sent an update letter in January and already sent a LOI in December.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone receive their fin aid package yet?

Anyone receive their fin aid package yet?
It's supposed to be today. The financial aid page is now open and shows total cost of attendance, but no awards yet.

It's supposed to be today. The financial aid page is now open and shows total cost of attendance, but no awards yet.

Does yours give an estimated family contribution? Mine doesn’t give a cost of attendance but does include family contribution

Does yours give an estimated family contribution? Mine doesn’t give a cost of attendance but does include family contribution
I have the opposite: total cost of attendance shows, but EFC is 0. For what it's worth, my FAFSA EFC is 0.

I have the opposite: total cost of attendance shows, but EFC is 0. For what it's worth, my FAFSA EFC is 0.

Thanks! Does cost of attendance include tuition and cost of living or just tuition?

Sorry, where can I find the page? I checked the portal and couldn't find it there.

Sorry, where can I find the page? I checked the portal and couldn't find it there.
It's on the Edlink page (where you paid the deposit), not on the portal.

Received aid email, and got substantial merit aid

Does anyone know if we'll be getting need-based aid as well, or is this it?

So... Any chance our merit scholarship is rescinded based on last semester grades? Not talking Cs/Ds, but possibly a few Bs. Asking as an incredibly washed up senior.
MS1’s and MS2’s? I think this one is for you guys...

Thanks for sharing that info! Curious where you heard these numbers. :)
There is no way to know how many WL acceptances will be sent out. We have to wait after April 30 for students to commit to schools.

So... Any chance our merit scholarship is rescinded based on last semester grades? Not talking Cs/Ds, but possibly a few Bs. Asking as an incredibly washed up senior.
Nope, scholarship doesn’t change. It can only go up.

Does anyone know if our financial aid stays the same all 4 years? In the email it says the scholarship is renewable for four years, but on the website it says scholarship awards are re-evaluated on an annual basis. Thanks!

Does anyone know if our financial aid stays the same all 4 years? In the email it says the scholarship is renewable for four years, but on the website it says scholarship awards are re-evaluated on an annual basis. Thanks!
Can only go up!

I find it very concerning that Mayo Clinic School of Medicine is now named after a man who's firm is working to bail out Purdue Pharma re: their shameful and amazingly destructive role in the opiod crisis with OxyContin. According to a headline WSJ article today: "OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma LP is preparing a possible bankruptcy filing as it seeks to contain liability from hundreds of lawsuits alleging it fueled the nation’s opioid epidemic... Its restructuring advisors now include AlixPartners LLP, a New York-based consulting firm known for its restructuring work."

Only in a twisted capitalistic system with massive wealth inequality can someone make a huge fortune doing the wrong thing and then give away a small part of it for a good cause and come out looking like a hero. I can't wait for the day that MDs start standing up to the uniformed MBAs who have perverted medicine out of greed. I'll certainly be on the front lines.

I bet you're fun at parties...

I find it very concerning that Mayo Clinic School of Medicine is now named after a man who's firm is working to bail out Purdue Pharma re: their shameful and amazingly destructive role in the opiod crisis with OxyContin. According to a headline WSJ article today: "OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma LP is preparing a possible bankruptcy filing as it seeks to contain liability from hundreds of lawsuits alleging it fueled the nation’s opioid epidemic... Its restructuring advisors now include AlixPartners LLP, a New York-based consulting firm known for its restructuring work."

Only in a twisted capitalistic system with massive wealth inequality can someone make a huge fortune doing the wrong thing and then give away a small part of it for a good cause and come out looking like a hero. I can't wait for the day that MDs start standing up to the uniformed MBAs who have perverted medicine out of greed. I'll certainly be on the front lines.

It’s ok bro I got waitlisted too

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah let's definitely ignore the fact that he sold control of AlixPartners in 2006 and has since focused on pro bono works in various fields. Glad we're picking and choosing facts to fit our own personal narratives.
This is a very good point that I did not realize - my bad. He does still own a 35% stake as the firm's largest shareholder and I would assume he still holds enough sway to veto a client like Purdue but hopefully he's not involved in this one. Also, I just want to make it clear that I think Mayo is an amazing school - if I didn't care, I wouldn't have taken the time to post. Best wishes to you all.