2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any hope for waitlist movement before May?
Hang tight, there is always some waitlist movement. Not a lot because we are such a small school but definitely some.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, scholarship doesn’t change. It can only go up.
99% true, they said if you win the lottery or something similar it will go down but other than something like that it can only improve

Real talk boys and girls, do you think Mayo will be tuition-free in the next 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
No students from Mayo AZ have taken step yet. The first class will take it in a few months.

I don’t know anything about the scores - there haven’t been any real changes in the curriculum in the last few years as far as I know. Keep in mind since it’s a small class a few outliers one way or another could have a relatively larger impact on the score average and distribution.

Last edited:
Real talk boys and girls, do you think Mayo will be tuition-free in the next 4 years?

No one knows. We’ve heard that it’s a goal, but there are also other priorities for the donated money such as building up dual degree options and funding, upgrading school facilities, and much more. In the longer term, there may also be a campus in Florida, which would again increase the size of the student body, so it will take a good amount of money to make a sustainable commitment to free tuition. If it were me, I wouldn’t count on any change in my financial aid for four years and make my decision with the current numbers in mind.

Anyone else from UCLA get into Mayo? UCLA allocates its units in a really weird way and I'm worried that my units for pre-reqs won't line up. I emailed and called admissions but they weren't able to give me a clear answer

Anyone else from UCLA get into Mayo? UCLA allocates its units in a really weird way and I'm worried that my units for pre-reqs won't line up. I emailed and called admissions but they weren't able to give me a clear answer

I'm not from ucla and also waitlisted not accepted but they were very flexible on my interview day when i brought up a prereq issue with them. I was missing a required lab but they said i could sub another upper level lab. I'm guessing you'll be fine, plenty of premeds from ucla going to med school all over the place.

I'm not from ucla and also waitlisted not accepted but they were very flexible on my interview day when i brought up a prereq issue with them. I was missing a required lab but they said i could sub another upper level lab. I'm guessing you'll be fine, plenty of premeds from ucla going to med school all over the place.

Yeah I would hope so. I met two med students from Mayo who were from UCLA and 3 other people in my interview group who were from UCLA lol. Just being neurotic because it still feels too good to be true.

Yeah I would hope so. I met two med students from Mayo who were from UCLA and 3 other people in my interview group who were from UCLA lol. Just being neurotic because it still feels too good to be true.
I emailed Susan saying I wasn't sure I made the pre-requisites for chem and outlined exactly how many credits I had of what and she confirmed with the dean of admissions that it was fine.

Reactions: 1 users
What happened to the step average at this school? According to US News it dropped from 245 to 237. Is that driven by scores from Mayo AZ for the first time? Any current students know what the average is at Mayo MN vs. Mayo AZ?
Couldn't be because we haven't had a class take Step yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone feeling about the big (?) drop in Mayo's rankings?

And 32 to 44...
Mayo Clinic is not a primary care school, and primary care rankings are even worse than the research ones (one major factor that goes into the primary care score is how many students match into primary care specialties at graduation). I mean, Stanford's ranking is 48, and I don't see people concerned about that.

Reactions: 3 users
How are my fellow waitlistees doing? May is just around the corner, which is when movement historically seems to begin, but perhaps with the new April 15th guideline, things could start a tad earlier?

How are my fellow waitlistees doing? May is just around the corner, which is when movement historically seems to begin, but perhaps with the new April 15th guideline, things could start a tad earlier?
Maybe, but I’m not holding my breath. Best to find a time consuming hobby until a little ways into May. Personally, I’m taking my wife on a cruise. I figure i’ll check my voicemail when I get back.

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone who attended second look has any lingering questions that seeing the school and meeting students brought up, or really anyone accepted or on the waitlist if you have any questions you have that you can't find elsewhere or don't want to post in the forum, message me

I hope whoever came had a great time

Have any waitlisted folks gotten the email from the school asking if they're still interested? Saw this on the thread last year, and I'm curious as to what they meant.

Have any waitlisted folks gotten the email from the school asking if they're still interested? Saw this on the thread last year, and I'm curious as to what they meant.
Yeah I did... Not sure what to make of it. Got a similar email in December and then waitlisted so I think they do strongly consider responses...

Yeah I did... Not sure what to make of it. Got a similar email in December and then waitlisted so I think they do strongly consider responses...

Just curious, were you a 2+2 applicant or regular? Based on the other Mayo thread, it seems like they started reaching out to 2+2 applicants first, though this could be the start for the regular MD waitlist as well.

Just curious, were you a 2+2 applicant or regular? Based on the other Mayo thread, it seems like they started reaching out to 2+2 applicants first, though this could be the start for the regular MD waitlist as well.
Just regular! I am probably going to withdraw though since I have gotten my heart set on a school I've been accepted to. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
Just regular! I am probably going to withdraw though since I have gotten my heart set on a school I've been accepted to. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!
Good luck and enjoy your time in medical school! The most important thing is being happy while you are studying.

Some folks on the MN WL reported getting calls about financial aid. Sounds like they might be preparing packages for potential appointees off the WL. Did anyone on the AZ waitlist get such a call (or any correspondence since getting the WL offer)?

Some folks on the MN WL reported getting calls about financial aid. Sounds like they might be preparing packages for potential appointees off the WL. Did anyone on the AZ waitlist get such a call (or any correspondence since getting the WL offer)?
I am on the waitlist and I have gotten an email recently from financial aid. The way it was written seems like every waitlisted applicant would get the email... They basically said that in the event I am offered a position they want to make sure all my ducks are in order.

I am on the waitlist and I have gotten an email recently from financial aid. The way it was written seems like every waitlisted applicant would get the email... They basically said that in the event I am offered a position they want to make sure all my ducks are in order.

were the contents of the email specific to your fafsa in that they wanted to clarify a particular detail or did it seem like a more general "hey make sure your financial aid app is in order by may 1 *wink*" kinda email?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I received a call from the financial aid office a couple days ago

I received a call from the financial aid office a couple days ago
What was the subject of the call?

To answer the previous question about the email -- they just said they were reviewing the alternate lists, wanted to check in with me on something specific, to make sure that if I'm accepted they can offer me the right FA package. It didn't seem very special... but who knows

What was the subject of the call?

To answer the previous question about the email -- they just said they were reviewing the alternate lists, wanted to check in with me on something specific, to make sure that if I'm accepted they can offer me the right FA package. It didn't seem very special... but who knows
The call was basically the same as the email you received. I guess something was missing from my FAFSA and they just wanted to verify everything was correct so that they could give me a financial aid package right away in the case I was offered an acceptance. I wonder if everybody on the WL received something similar?

The call was basically the same as the email you received. I guess something was missing from my FAFSA and they just wanted to verify everything was correct so that they could give me a financial aid package right away in the case I was offered an acceptance. I wonder if everybody on the WL received something similar?

Nope i haven't, you all might be more likely to get off.

I got the call, but not the "are you still interested?" email. I think they just like playing mind games with us all.

I got the call, but not the "are you still interested?" email. I think they just like playing mind games with us all.
i think the most recent interest communications were sent only to 2+2 WLers just solely based on observation, unless you're talking about the emails sent back in january.

i think the most recent interest communications were sent only to 2+2 WLers just solely based on observation, unless you're talking about the emails sent back in january.
I got one and I'm regular. I think the same goes for desert_tortoise who posted earlier too

I just got the are you still interested email tonight. I was fine, and now the nerves have come back.

Does anyone think there's a chance we'll hear anything tomorrow?

Does anyone think there's a chance we'll hear anything tomorrow?

Isn’t tomorrow (4/30) the last day for people to have more than one acceptance so wouldn’t most people be giving up their others tnrw? To me that would suggest May 1st as the possible day for ppl to start coming off WLs if I understand the rules correctly