2018-2019 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have also been waitlisted....again....so I can tell you that they do send you an email rejecting you if you don't get off the waitlist. Mine came at the very end of July. So. Buckle up.

I’m a second year waitlister too...maybe third time’s a charm?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a second year waitlister too...maybe third time’s a charm?
There is someone in the M1 class at MCG right now who was a 3x applicant!

Anyone know when financial aid is released? Getty antsy over here...

Anyone know when financial aid is released? Getty antsy over here...
Speaking of financial aid -- did any of y'all enter your parents' tax/income information on the FAFSA? I never received need-based financial aid during undergrad, but I don't know if that would possibly change for graduate ed?

Does anyone know how the changes in the admissions process (AMCAS) will affect waitlist movement? I heard that schools can't see where students have been accepted. Also, I think they've gotten back to everyone earlier this year than they did last year.

I heard that a lot of WL movement occurs after April 30th. I was just hoping that they could get back to us earlier than that.

Does anyone know how the changes in the admissions process (AMCAS) will affect waitlist movement? I heard that schools can't see where students have been accepted. Also, I think they've gotten back to everyone earlier this year than they did last year.

I heard that a lot of WL movement occurs after April 30th. I was just hoping that they could get back to us earlier than that.
A couple of the admins stated that it likely won’t change the timing of WL movement. All movement last year came May 1st or later, so based on what they are saying I would expect that again.

Does anyone know around how many waitlist positions are offered and around how many people are accepted off it? Approximations are fine. I just checked MSAR but it has no waitlist data for this school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know around how many waitlist positions are offered and around how many people are accepted off it? Approximations are fine. I just checked MSAR but it has no waitlist data for this school.

I tracked that couple of years ago and also read it somewhere, they end choosing 20-40 students from the wait list , all this dependent on the accepted students with high scores and multiple acceptances that chose different medical school than MCG.

Reactions: 2 users
I tracked that couple of years ago and also read it somewhere, they end choosing 20-40 students from the wait list , all this dependent on the accepted students with high scores and multiple acceptances that chose different medical school than MCG.
How many do they typically wait-list

Am planning on Athens campus but still going to revisit day, anyone else?

Based on previous years, about 60-70 students wait listed and 20-40 selected from wait list

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I bet there are a lot more than 60-70 applicants on the waitlist this year. Considering we only heard from a very small handful of post II rejections and MCG interviews ~600, I’m assuming there has to be 200+ on the waitlist. I hope I’m wrong, though.

Withdrew my A today. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 9 users
I didn't realize you could go if you were waitlisted! How did you sign up for this?
I don’t think you can go if you’re on the waitlist. You have to receive an invitation. Also, revisit day at the Augusta campus isn’t on March 2

I didn't realize you could go if you were waitlisted! How did you sign up for this?

I don’t think you can go if you’re on the waitlist. You have to receive an invitation. Also, revisit day at the Augusta campus isn’t on March 2

I meant I signed up for the MCG/UGA visit day. I signed up before I was waitlisted. Am instill allowed to attend?

I meant I signed up for the MCG/UGA visit day. I signed up before I was waitlisted. Am instill allowed to attend?

I think so. It's an open house event. I'm pretty sure as long as you registered, you can attend.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I bet there are a lot more than 60-70 applicants on the waitlist this year. Considering we only heard from a very small handful of post II rejections and MCG interviews ~600, I’m assuming there has to be 200+ on the waitlist. I hope I’m wrong, though.

Too be fair I don't think people would be as inclined to post that they were rejected plus not everyone uses this site, so i don't think its safe to assume that just because more people haven't been posting on here that they were rejected that only a small amount of people were. I doubt they would waitlist 200+ people, that's almost an entire other class and would probably be a nightmare to rank all those people. But your guess is as good as mine since there really isn't concrete facts on this

On another note, does anyone know the general reasoning why schools tend not to release someone's waitlist ranking?

Too be fair I don't think people would be as inclined to post that they were rejected plus not everyone uses this site, so i don't think its safe to assume that just because more people haven't been posting on here that they were rejected that only a small amount of people were. I doubt they would waitlist 200+ people, that's almost an entire other class and would probably be a nightmare to rank all those people. But your guess is as good as mine since there really isn't concrete facts on this

On another note, does anyone know the general reasoning why schools tend not to release someone's waitlist ranking?

I believe it's because the ranking of the applicants is not completely concrete. One of the goals of the admissions committee is to ensure that the matriculating class is diverse. When spots open up, the adcom will go to the waiting list but won't necessarily accept the next applicant in the ranking especially if they feel that the applicant under them has almost the same application score but has a quality that brings more diversity to the class as a whole.

They do not want anyone to know their ranking so they won't have cases where Applicant X with rank 23 is complaining about Applicant Y with rank 24 being accepted before they were. Also, this is just my opinion, so I'm not entirely sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe it's because the ranking of the applicants is not completely concrete. One of the goals of the admissions committee is to ensure that the matriculating class is diverse. When spots open up, the adcom will go to the waiting list but won't necessarily accept the next applicant in the ranking especially if they feel that the applicant under them has almost the same application score but has a quality that brings more diversity to the class as a whole.

They do not want anyone to know their ranking so they won't have cases where Applicant X with rank 23 is complaining about Applicant Y with rank 24 being accepted before they were. Also, this is just my opinion, so I'm not entirely sure.
Really hoping this is not the case and, with my conversations with a few PDs who report having strict ranked waitlists immediately post-interview, don't think it is. It facilitates the notion that applicants on waitlists should bombard programs with updates of their "sincere" interest just have a fighting chance of receiving an offer over the applicant who was ranked a spot higher after post-interview evaluation..

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I bet there are a lot more than 60-70 applicants on the wait list this year. Considering we only heard from a very small handful of post II rejections and MCG interviews ~600, I’m assuming there has to be 200+ on the waitlist. I hope I’m wrong, though.

This year , It looks that they have done things differently, we used to see big wave of acceptance in March 2-10 and then publishing wait list after. This year we didn't see that big wave of acceptance. Also don't forget they already had early admission acceptances. We don't know how many they did take. My guess they look at the scores of the group they accepted (RD) and guessed who will join and who will go with another medical school, take that number and multiply by 2 or 3= 60 students wait listed
Add to that complications, they usually accept way more than their class at MCG. MCG has 230 openings they could have accepted 250- 275 acceptances for the 230 openings knowing that 50 of them will go to different school..
Never give hope, I heard so many stories with acceptances way late in summer.

Reactions: 3 users
This year , It looks that they have done things differently, we used to see big wave of acceptance in March 2-10 and then publishing wait list after. This year we didn't see that big wave of acceptance. Also don't forget they already had early admission acceptances. We don't know how many they did take. My guess they look at the scores of the group they accepted (RD) and guessed who will join and who will go with another medical school, take that number and multiply by 2 or 3= 60 students wait listed
Add to that complications, they usually accept way more than their class at MCG. MCG has 230 openings they could have accepted 250- 275 acceptances for the 230 openings knowing that 50 of them will go to different school..
Never give hope, I heard so many stories with acceptances way late in summer.
Thank you for that! I think we are all freaking out just a bit. I just hope that people who know for sure they do not want to go to MCG will not wait until April 30 to alert MCG of that

I think so. It's an open house event. I'm pretty sure as long as you registered, you can attend.
It is definitely NOT an open house event. I’m helping host the lunch portion, and there are tickets for lunch. We have tickets with specific locations for each person to eat lunch, and without a ticket you won’t have anywhere to go.

If you’re in any way unsure if you can attend revisit day, please call admissions. I’m not trying to make anyone feel unwelcome, I would just hate for you to show up, to ultimately be turned away.

It is definitely NOT an open house event. I’m helping host the lunch portion, and there are tickets for lunch. We have tickets with specific locations for each person to eat lunch, and without a ticket you won’t have anywhere to go.

If you’re in any way unsure if you can attend revisit day, please call admissions. I’m not trying to make anyone feel unwelcome, I would just hate for you to show up, to ultimately be turned away.
I think they're talking about the open house for the UGA partnership. They have a date for March 2nd if I remember right.

Reactions: 2 users

I think they're talking about the AU/UGA Medical Partnership open house at the Athens campus. There's an open house on March 2nd and it's for anyone, not just applicants or accepted students!

I think they're talking about the AU/UGA Medical Partnership open house at the Athens campus. There's an open house on March 2nd and it's for anyone, not just applicants or accepted students!
Ahhhhh I see! It’s confusing to me because we only refer to the Athens campus as... well, the Athens campus. We don’t usually hear it referred to as “MCG/UGA”

Called admissions to try and finesse some more info about the wait list numbers and typical movement. No luck haha, they said they aren't allowed to release the information.

Reactions: 5 users
Called admissions to try and finesse some more info about the wait list numbers and typical movement. No luck haha, they said they aren't allowed to release the information.
The effort is much appreciated! Good luck to everyone!

I can understand the reasons behind keeping the list order secret, but not even telling us the number of people on the list seems unjustifiable given the limbo this puts us in.

Athens M1 here. I hope to see some of y'all at second look day this week. If you have any specific questions about the Athens campus please feel free to DM me and let me know. I'd be happy to talk to any of y'all in person on Saturday.

Athens M1 here. I hope to see some of y'all at second look day this week. If you have any specific questions about the Athens campus please feel free to DM me and let me know. I'd be happy to talk to any of y'all in person on Saturday.
Are you coming to the Augusta campus for revisit day? We should meet!! :laugh:

Would anyone that went to Second Look Day be willing to answer some questions via PM?

supposedly campus assignments are out. To those who were assigned, did they send out an email or was it in the portal

Is there anyone else who has been accepted, but hasn’t been assigned a campus yet? Is it just me lol