2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn, this was the first school I was complete to (7/4) and my dream school for DO. Was hoping for that first round of IIs! IS 509/3.5 just as a data point.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, this was the first school I was complete to (7/4) and my dream school for DO. Was hoping for that first round of IIs! IS 509/3.5 just as a data point.
I feel you! Maybe my secondary was submitted too late (7/10). IS 512/3.9. Hoping for one in the next bunch

Reactions: 1 users
wow finally somethings happening.
nothing for me yet tho
508/3.6 OS tho

Yield protect?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
I’m pretty sure it means not giving out interviews so that they don’t accept people that wouldn’t even end up going to their school. For example, accepting someone with high stats or no affiliation with the school because they think they will choose somewhere else.

I’m pretty sure it means not giving out interviews so that they don’t accept people that wouldn’t even end up going to their school. For example, accepting someone with high stats or no affiliation with the school because they think they will choose somewhere else.
Not accepting****

Ah. I would think most schools do at least some of this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Current students, approximately when was the DMC site filled during your year? I am submitting my primary in September and if I am fortunate to get an interview invite and an acceptance I would really prefer to stay in Detroit. I just want to be sure I am not submitting to late.

Current students, approximately when was the DMC site filled during your year? I am submitting my primary in September and if I am fortunate to get an interview invite and an acceptance I would really prefer to stay in Detroit. I just want to be sure I am not submitting to late.
Late January/early February was when it filled the couple of years I kept track. This may have changed over the last couple of years but that gives you some idea. Get that primary in as soon as you can!

Reactions: 1 user
Late January/early February was when it filled the couple of years I kept track. This may have changed over the last couple of years but that gives you some idea. Get that primary in as soon as you can!
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do DO schools yield protect? I have 2 MD II’s, but have been passed over for DO II’s. I only have a 511, 3.7. I’m in state.
Your stats aren't necessarily high enough for "yield protection", our average MCAT last cycle was around a 507 and there are two 2022 students I know of with 35+ MCATs. I had a 502/3.8 and I had two IS MD II's as well. Believe admissions reps when they say the person assigned to your file is a slow reader, that accounts for a lot of the timeline stuff. It's pretty short-sighted to say late July you've been "passed over".

Reactions: 6 users
Your stats aren't necessarily high enough for "yield protection", our average MCAT last cycle was around a 507 and there are two 2022 students I know of with 35+ MCATs. I had a 502/3.8 and I had two IS MD II's as well. Believe admissions reps when they say the person assigned to your file is a slow reader, that accounts for a lot of the timeline stuff. It's pretty short-sighted to say late July you've been "passed over".
Did you apply as an IS or OOS?

I feel you! Maybe my secondary was submitted too late (7/10). IS 512/3.9. Hoping for one in the next bunch
You're good! I didn't submit my primary until that time and I got into msucom :) goodluck!

is there a status after "application complete" that is specific to the application being under review? anyone else heard back yet?

is there a status after "application complete" that is specific to the application being under review? anyone else heard back yet?
My application was listed as complete on the portal the day I submitted the secondary, 6/25. I checked this morning and it updated the date to 7/31. Prior to that it was listed as 6/25.

II invtited just now!! im shocked because my primary application had 10 ugly typos in the activities section. 3.91 GPA 505 MCAT. In-state

Reactions: 3 users
II today, Complete 7/7. OOS (i know the tuition is 85K+)

II invtited just now!! im shocked because my primary application had 10 ugly typos in the activities section. 3.91 GPA 505 MCAT. In-state

They want you to answer for your crimes in person. But really congrats!!!! I know you were stressing about that earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II today - 3.65 cGPA / 504 mcat / out of state

Reactions: 2 users
II! But both dates dont work for me, will the II stay for the remainder of the cycle so i can schedule when they open more dates?

Congratss to everyone who received a II! On a side note, I submitted my app on 07/02/2018 and have the application fee waived on 07/23/2018. The application is now marked as completed on 07/31/2018. When does your application mark as complete?

As a 4th year at MSUCOM i wish all yall luck, i remember being in your shoes very well. i have some words of advice that may help everyone. 1st off finish the app as soon as possible, its rolling admission, first come first serve. 2nd, attend the see the site's activities and talk to the counselors. they will help you a ton and might even pull for you when it comes to the ii. It is a long application season so hang in there. Lastly, make sure to practice for your interview...

Reactions: 3 users
I hope so! I'm so close to this school in location so getting passed up for two II waves already feelsbadman.

Congrats on your II! :)
These threads make you so stressed out about not getting an interview, but in reality it’s still so early on in the cycle. Don’t worry too much, your stats are great & your interview will come :)
And thank you!!!

As a 4th year at MSUCOM i wish all yall luck, i remember being in your shoes very well. i have some words of advice that may help everyone. 1st off finish the app as soon as possible, its rolling admission, first come first serve. 2nd, attend the see the site's activities and talk to the counselors. they will help you a ton and might even pull for you when it comes to the ii. It is a long application season so hang in there. Lastly, make sure to practice for your interview...
How do you attend these activities? I got to MSU right now and have been looking for more ways to connect with MSUCOM

How do you attend these activities? I got to MSU right now and have been looking for more ways to connect with MSUCOM

Once you apply you will be getting email from admissions ( usually Dr. Ruger ) ( may have butchered the name ). Attend these activities. Another good way to show interest is to schedule a tour of one of the campuses with the advisors

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

anyone else getting an error message when trying to log in?

My application was listed as complete on the portal the day I submitted the secondary, 6/25. I checked this morning and it updated the date to 7/31. Prior to that it was listed as 6/25.
+1

Maybe they gave it another thorough review and still weren't impressed with me :)

+1

Maybe they gave it another thorough review and still weren't impressed with me :)

I called the office recently and was told there was an IT update and it changed the complete dates, but nothing to worry about. Except you, Tobes. They're coming for you, Scranton Strangler.

No way, I bet they’ll give out more later this week or next
Agreed.

Is it game over for me? I'm in state and love this school, but no II :( I completed 7/10 with a 511 and 3.7
Wayyyy too early to even consider that you're out of the game! I know it's discouraging to see other people get invited for interview, but there are many factors that go into why someone might be invited before you. Being in-state with a great GPA and a decent MCAT gives you a huge advantage over many applicants.