2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on II guys,

I just submitted my secondary and think I would be a really good fit for this school. Would you say a secondary submitted on 8/16 late, or just not super early like some people?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Renting a car or doing Uber would be easiest, whichever turns out to be cheaper (I'm not sure how much Uber would cost, sorry - but it's about an hour drive from the airport to OU). This is Motor City so public transportation never really took off here haha.
Thank you! Super excited to visit.

Also thanks, I'll compare the prices.

Edit: Anyone flying into DTW on 08/29 and want to split an uber/lyft?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here know if the group of M1/M2's still do the pre-interview dinner? Interviewing on 9/14 and thought it would be fun to attend!

Just got an interview invite via email! currently an OU student. Complete 7/22

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if OUWB yield protects?

They told us on the first day of orientation that the average GPA for our class was a 3.87. This is roughly 0.1 higher than the current M2 class.

Tbh waiting for them to update the website to see what the stats are for our class.

I was no where close to the average GPA and I know a few people who had nearly perfect GPAs. I think after above a specific GPA the AdComs are looking more to see if you fit with the culture (basically what @mrslandingham said). It feels like the AdComs specifically picked everyone to be really good friends with each other.

Like rejecting people with high scores just because they might not come here?

I think the adcom offers interviews to applicants who demonstrate they are a good fit for our culture, no matter how high their scores are. Yes, people with high stats get rejected, but I'd guess the bigger issue was fit vs. their scores being "too high."

FWIW, I believe our average MCAT has been slowly increasing over the last few years (although it's tough for me to evaluate because of the change in the scoring system & the old averages aren't listed on the website).

They told us on the first day of orientation that the average GPA for our class was a 3.87. This is roughly 0.1 higher than the current M2 class.

Tbh waiting for them to update the website to see what the stats are for our class.

I was no where close to the average GPA and I know a few people who had nearly perfect GPAs. I think after above a specific GPA the AdComs are looking more to see if you fit with the culture (basically what @mrslandingham said). It feels like the AdComs specifically picked everyone to be really good friends with each other.

Thanks for your replies! Great to see that perspective and will keep waiting for a hopeful II! I am IS with strong ties to the area/institution and feel I fit the mission so this is all good to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies! Great to see that perspective and will keep waiting for a hopeful II! I am IS with strong ties to the area/institution and feel I fit the mission so this is all good to hear.
Looking at your sig, you don't have too much to worry about lol

Got the AXE a couple of days ago. Goodluck to the rest of ya'll!

My roommate went here for med school and from what she said about this school i'm pretty excited about applying here.

Hello! I'm a first year here and would to answer any questions you guys have! A bit about me - I was a reapplicant (LizzyM 62-65), non-trad, interviewed in Oct and accepted from 1st tier waitlist in May. This was my only MD interview and acceptance, and I'm pretty happy here so far! Best of luck to you all in this interview process!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my first rejection :L. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Just got an interview invite!

first II I'm dead. OOS, LM 67 submitted 7/11

Last edited:
for any current students familiar with the interview, I read that it is semi-blind where the 2 interviewers will not have access to MCAT or GPA metrics. does this mean the decision on whether to accept or reject the student at this point of the selection process is independent of MCAT and GPA? or do the interviewers report their thoughts to the adcom and the adcom re-evaluates everything again?

The interviewers do not know your GPA and MCAT, but your entire application including your stats will be discussed at the final adcom meeting to make the decision.

ETA: That said, if your stats are good enough to get you an interview, they're probably good enough to get you in. As long as you meet the minimum cutoffs you stand a good chance if the rest of your application is strong.

thank you. Yeah I have a well rounded application except the CARS score pretty low so i was curious if it will be detrimental

Some of the interviews given yesterday were "mistakes" and they're now sending emails cancelling interviews for those who were given one by mistake.

Got an II yesterday evening, scheduled it, all good.

Just received this email:

"Due to a technical error in our online admissions system, some applicants were inadvertently invited to schedule an on-campus interview. After a careful re-review and consideration of your application materials, you have not been selected to advance to the on-campus interview, and your application has been released from future consideration. "

That's so messed up.

"Due to a technical error in our online admissions system, some applicants were inadvertently invited to schedule an on-campus interview. After a careful re-review and consideration of your application materials, you have not been selected to advance to the on-campus interview, and your application has been released from future consideration. "

That's so messed up.

Same here, I'm crushed. One of the worst things you could do to an applicant.

That's so messed up.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, literally sounds like my nightmares. I hope it doesn't get you down too much and you have more luck moving forward!!

That's so messed up.
Got the email too I am devastated.. I’ll just simmer in the emotions today and hopefully I’ll be ready to continue on this journey by tomorrow. We got this!

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sad about this. Got the email too. So excited to interview and booked flights and everything.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh my god that is my worst nightmare!!! I wonder if any of them were real?

That's so messed up.

Ouch. I'm sorry that happened to you. That's so unprofessional tbh.

That's so messed up.
Thats horrible. I feel for you. Youll move on to better things

That's so messed up.
Same thing happened to me. Such a roller coaster of emotions. I feel myself going through all the stages of grief as we speak. Currently shoving my face full of candy bars as we speak. Probably just eat my feelings away today then start fresh tomorrow.

Yikes they should refund the secondary fee for that

Reactions: 15 users
Does Oakland send out invites in order of completion?

Shame on OUWB! Truly awful of them tor rescind interview offers like that. Honestly I'd be willing to help pressure the school for some kind of compensation for those that already booked flights, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Shame on OUWB! Truly awful of them tor rescind interview offers like that. Honestly I'd be willing to help pressure the school for some kind of compensation for those that already booked flights, etc.
Honestly, rescinding interviews would probably be better than staying silent and letting people come to interview then rejecting them all the same. Agree on some kinda of compensation tho...

Not even an apology? What is wrong with these people?

Glad I didn’t apply here. Completely unprofessional. Shame on them.

Reactions: 3 users