2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to make sure I understood correctly, it took them 2-3 months after the interview to inform you that you have been placed on a 3rd tier waitlist??
Sorry I misspoke - looking at my emails, I interviewed in Oct and 1st thing I heard was in Mar 26- Application Status Update putting me in 1st tier waitlist (5 months of silence, I did send in a letter of intent). This is after they complete the interviews. So again, silence is good here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I went to their preview day and the statistics they gave us for the Class of 2022 is: 8,535 applicants, 462 interviews, and 123 class size.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Class size is always smaller than the number of acceptance sent out because not everyone accepts the offer. So I was curious about that.

Class size is always smaller than the number of acceptance sent out because not everyone accepts the offer. So I was curious about that.

Per USNWR, the average acceptance rate of interviewees is about 50%. I would expect OUWB to be fairly close to that.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick logistics question: How much does it typically run to take lyft/uber from DTW to Rochester..
Unfortunately, thats gonna cost you a large amount of money. Rochester is 45 miles and 1.25 hour drive from DTW and most airport cabs charge $90 one way. I'll ask a friend who owns a cab service, they were offering discounted rates for med interviews at one time.

Unfortunately, thats gonna cost you a large amount of money. Rochester is 45 miles and 1.25 hour drive from DTW and most airport cabs charge $90 one way. I'll ask a friend who owns a cab service, they were offering discounted rates for med interviews at one time.
Yeah I just went ahead and rent a vehicle

Hey I am staying at the Marriott this week for my interview....if anyone that has interviewed here/goes here would mind sharing a place to grab breakfast the morning before my interview I'd appreciate it.

Also a good dinner spot recommendation would be great!

Hey I am staying at the Marriott this week for my interview....if anyone that has interviewed here/goes here would mind sharing a place to grab breakfast the morning before my interview I'd appreciate it.

Also a good dinner spot recommendation would be great!
Let me crash one time lol... jk see you at the interview also they provide a small breakfast

For ppl interviewing tomorrow, can anyone tell me where the student dinner is tonight? I'd contact them but I'm just boarding my flight :p I'd really appreciate it

Thanks y'all
7:30pm at Blaze Pizza (2031 N Squirrel Rd, Auburn Hills, MI 48326).

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today

OOS

510/3.62

Complete 7/26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
II today! Complete 7/25, OOS

ah man, do you know what it might have been?

Keep your head up ! Long ways to go!

I have a low section score on C/P but I felt
Like my stats and experience were reasonably good for this school

Either way, I guess someone with my stats should be patient :/ even if rejections are making me feel awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry to hear that! May the other schools give you some love. Also wow, they have t even gotten to August?
They have. Someone got an II after being complete mid August. Idk if they’re actually going in order

Called in today and was told my application is "right in the middle of being reviewed"
OOS, LM 68, Reapp
Was complete 7/24- so they're definitely not going in order

Called in today and was told my application is "right in the middle of being reviewed"
OOS, LM 68, Reapp
Was complete 7/24- so they're definitely not going in order
Were they receptive tot his?

I'm sure they will be very polite when you call, but it's not going to help anything. OUWB does not silent reject. If they had made a decision about your application, you would know about it. If you haven't heard anything, you're either in line to be reviewed or currently under review.

ETA - they may have you on a status that's similar to a pre-interview hold where they have not made a decision after the initial review, but they are still considering/reviewing your app on a regular basis. That's how some people get interviews later in the season.
Out of sheer curiosity how can i prove to this school that im actually interested in attending? are there information nights or events that applied students could go to? and would you recommend them to be useful?

Hey guys. I recently did my interview at OUWB and figured I'd do a quick review:

So I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott which is linked on the schools website. They have a discounted rate of $77/night for OUWB. The hotel was fine, nothing to write home about. My bathroom was a bit dirty but overall served its purpose.

From the Courtyard it is about a 15 minute drive to OUWB where there is ample free parking that you can easily find from the Maps app. I parked right next to the medical school building and walked maybe 100 feet to get there.

For breakfast: Unlike my other interviews this was a real breakfast. There were scrambled eggs, bagels, coffee, juice, fruit, oatmeal etc. By far the best breakfast I have seen on the interview trail.

After that you have about an hour long information session about OUWB. Then you do a sample TBL which doesn't reflect on your admission decision at all but is rather just to show you what they are like. The TBL is nothing to worry about at all very easy and it is a great way to get to know your fellow interviewees

Next you travel to the biggest hospital in their system which is about a 30 minute drive. On the drive you are joined by M1s and M2s who chat with you and answer questions throughout the whole ride. It was good to get an accurate picture of what they thought of OUWB.

When you arrive at the hospital you are greeted by M3s and M4s who will sit with you throughout lunch and be around for interaction throughout the rest of the day.

Lunch was bomb. They had a delicious breaded chicken, mashed potatoes, and salad. V. tasty. Highly recommend.

Next was a bit different for everyone. This was the largest group of interviewees I have ever been with so they split us up. Some did their interviews while others went on tours of the hospital.

The hospital was incredible. They have a brand new ER, facilities look top notch and they are a high volume hospital.

Next I did my interview. I had a clinician first then I had one of the medical school professors.
The interviews were fine they had access to my secondary app, and I think my personal statement....I don't really recall. They didn't really grill me that much. Not a stressful interview at all.

After that everyone traveled back to OUWB, and was invited to tour the school. The tour was nice. The school is the biggest campus I have ever been to and I went to a big school in the SEC. Literally massive. Gym is incredible.

Then the day is over and you go on your way. The day is the longest I have been on (8am-5pm) but they show you everything and it was well worth it. This was my first time in Michigan and I really enjoyed it.

Pros:
Honestly almost everything. I really liked this school

Cons:
The distance to the clinical sites may be a bit annoying.

Reactions: 3 users
Not intending at all to be snarky, the way to prove your interest is by submitting a primary application that shows a personal statement and activity list demonstrating you're a good fit for the school, and a secondary application that again emphasizes your good fit as well as showing why you are interested in OUWB. If you get an interview, be ready to talk about what you like about OUWB and how our mission, curriculum, opportunities, etc. will help you become the kind of doctor and person you want to be. If it gets to be the end of the semester, you haven't heard anything, and you have significant updates, send in an update letter with a paragraph that expresses your specific interest in OUWB.

There are preview days open to the public but they seem to be more geared towards people who have not applied yet. I'm not sure whether the adcom cares if you attend or not. There are certainly plenty of people who don't attend preview days who still get interviews and acceptances here.
Agree with everything said. I just want to reiterate the importance of writing well thought-out responses on the secondary application. You can prove your interest in the school by researching it thoroughly and crafting your responses accordingly. It worked for me in getting an interview invite and I am by no means a competitive applicant on paper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Got rejected sometime last week. OOS, LM mid 60s.

Does the application portal status change for when your application is under review? Mine has been on "completed" and was wondering if it changes to "under review"

Does the application portal status change for when your application is under review? Mine has been on "completed" and was wondering if it changes to "under review"

Mine is still like that and I have been complete since early July. Just gonna assume they haven't reviewed my app yet since some people have already been rejected

I just sent primary in today after getting an email encouraging me to apply. Did everyone that was on AMCAS that didn't apply get one you think?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I just sent primary in today after getting an email encouraging me to apply. Did everyone that was on AMCAS that didn't apply get one you think?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I got the same email and I've been complete here since July, so I'm not quite sure what it means. Probably just a random mass email

Hey guys. I recently did my interview at OUWB and figured I'd do a quick review:

So I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott which is linked on the schools website. They have a discounted rate of $77/night for OUWB. The hotel was fine, nothing to write home about. My bathroom was a bit dirty but overall served its purpose.

From the Courtyard it is about a 15 minute drive to OUWB where there is ample free parking that you can easily find from the Maps app. I parked right next to the medical school building and walked maybe 100 feet to get there.

For breakfast: Unlike my other interviews this was a real breakfast. There were scrambled eggs, bagels, coffee, juice, fruit, oatmeal etc. By far the best breakfast I have seen on the interview trail.

After that you have about an hour long information session about OUWB. Then you do a sample TBL which doesn't reflect on your admission decision at all but is rather just to show you what they are like. The TBL is nothing to worry about at all very easy and it is a great way to get to know your fellow interviewees

Next you travel to the biggest hospital in their system which is about a 30 minute drive. On the drive you are joined by M1s and M2s who chat with you and answer questions throughout the whole ride. It was good to get an accurate picture of what they thought of OUWB.

When you arrive at the hospital you are greeted by M3s and M4s who will sit with you throughout lunch and be around for interaction throughout the rest of the day.

Lunch was bomb. They had a delicious breaded chicken, mashed potatoes, and salad. V. tasty. Highly recommend.

Next was a bit different for everyone. This was the largest group of interviewees I have ever been with so they split us up. Some did their interviews while others went on tours of the hospital.

The hospital was incredible. They have a brand new ER, facilities look top notch and they are a high volume hospital.

Next I did my interview. I had a clinician first then I had one of the medical school professors.
The interviews were fine they had access to my secondary app, and I think my personal statement....I don't really recall. They didn't really grill me that much. Not a stressful interview at all.

After that everyone traveled back to OUWB, and was invited to tour the school. The tour was nice. The school is the biggest campus I have ever been to and I went to a big school in the SEC. Literally massive. Gym is incredible.

Then the day is over and you go on your way. The day is the longest I have been on (8am-5pm) but they show you everything and it was well worth it. This was my first time in Michigan and I really enjoyed it.

Pros:

Cons:

Thank you so much for this review!!

Well now I'm worried haha, did anyone else who's complete receive this email?
I received one. I think this is the second one. I've been complete since early/mid August. I doubt it means anything other than "pls apply!"

How many people were in your interview group ?

Pros:

Cons:

What exactly did the email say? Did it say “ we received your scores from AMCAS...”

I received one. I think this is the second one. I've been complete since early/mid August. I doubt it means anything other than "pls apply!"

How do people feel about the mandatory classes at OUWB? Can any current students weigh in? I have heard mixed things about mandatory classes. :eek::eek:

Also how’s the diversity on campus? Is it another 90% white and 10% everything else institution lol.