2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompts:

1. How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
2. Describe your motivation to attend OUWB.
3. Optional: If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities.
4. If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.
5. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

400 word limit on all prompts.

Also 2 questions on preferred pronouns and how you found out about OUWB.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oakland University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got an email acknowledging that they have received my application!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava

+6. This is my first post on SDN and I'm not sure on the proper etiquette, but I've received the secondary prompts:

1. How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
2. Describe your motivation to attend OUWB.
3. Optional: If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities.
4. If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.
5. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

400 word limit on all prompts.

Edit: Also 2 questions on preferred pronouns and how you found out about OUWB.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted and Complete (Emails came at the same time).
Now the wait begins...

What are you all putting for the optional essay?

For the optional essay what are you guys putting because there is already a separate why OUWB question

Take a look at this thread... Might help a bit.
I definitely left it blank... Hopefully not to my detriment.

woof
Take a look at this thread... Might help a bit.
I definitely left it blank... Hopefully not to my detriment.

woof. I put an adversity essay

I personally left it blank because a few older OUWB threads indicated some specific things that were worth mentioning (didn't apply to me) and OUWB tweeted something like "Optional truly means optional" or something. I think everything else was covered in the rest of my application.

Less for them to read I guess!

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary submitted! Fingers crossed!

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). If your premedical advising office provides a committee letter compiling feedback from multiple sources, this letter will count as two of your three required letters of recommendation."

Does anyone know what we should do if all of our letters are already in the committee letter-- i.e. how do I fulfill the third required LOR? I believe I have 5 or 6 letters packed into my committee letter and don't have anyone else I could get a letter from...

"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). If your premedical advising office provides a committee letter compiling feedback from multiple sources, this letter will count as two of your three required letters of recommendation."

Does anyone know what we should do if all of our letters are already in the committee letter-- i.e. how do I fulfill the third required LOR? I believe I have 5 or 6 letters packed into my committee letter and don't have anyone else I could get a letter from...

I sent them an email about this and they responded saying
"Please allow up to five business days after the submission of your supplemental application for your letters of recommendation to be processed, reviewed, and marked complete. If the packet has not met our criteria, we will send you an email."

Is it worth applying to this school with a low sGPA and no ties to MI but strong service commitments?

Depends on your sGPA but OU is very service oriented (average 2018 matriculant had ~775 hours). Also, almost half the class is from California so I don't think ties are too much of a concern.
Is it worth applying to this school with a low sGPA and no ties to MI but strong service commitments?

what counts as "connections to the OUWB communities"?
what does that mean?

Hello everyone! I am a current M3 at OUWB. If anyone has any questions about the URM student groups such as LMSA or SNMA, or other general questions about being an URM at OUWB, please feel free to reach out to me. Good luck to everyone this application cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
I am trying to pre-write my secondary. Are the essays definitely 400 words max?

Just submitted my secondary. Now the wait begins. Good luck fellas!

Application Complete: 7/9/19

Not sure if this was already answered but I was marked complete with out any extra letters. All I submitted was my committee packet which had all of my letters inside just like yours.

So if we took AP Stats, got university credit for intro to stats, they're not gonna accept it? I have taken other calculus math courses in college but no other stats courses? Will this be okay??

Does anyone know if that two week thing they put in our email was a hard deadline. I didn't notice until today and I submitted today (1 day late)...

Does anyone know if that two week thing they put in our email was a hard deadline. I didn't notice until today and I submitted today (1 day late)...
I don't think so, it says "ideally we would like you to". Usually the 2 week rule is to just show that you are interested enough in the program. I'm sure you will be fine!

what counts as "connections to the OUWB communities"?
what does that mean?

Somebody from last year’s thread called OUWB to ask about this question. Go check out the thread for yourself but my understanding was that he was told to write about “personal connections.” e.g. someone you know who is faculty at the school, graduated from there, or maybe is a doc at one of their hospitals. Not so much living in oakland county or going to OU for undergrad

Did anyone's letters just barely come in? I submitted this application on 7/1 and saw on the portal that they were received on 7/17/19.

Secondary submitted 7/18/19! Good luck everyone! :)

Did anyone's letters just barely come in? I submitted this application on 7/1 and saw on the portal that they were received on 7/17/19.

Just checked my page and they were received yesterday as well. I applied 7/2.

7/17 Verified, 7/19 Secondary Received OOS :)

Residence, family In the area, working there, involvement with activities in the area, etc.
I know I'm reaching here, but would having family members operated at a Beaumont Hospital count as "affiliation" in your opinion?

I know I'm reaching here, but would having family members operated at a Beaumont Hospital count as "affiliation" in your opinion?
*updated- No. Dont put that there :)

Last edited:
I don’t think so. I was personally operated on at Beaumont Royal Oak and live 20min from OU and didn’t put anything for affiliations. Like so many other schools, I believe that this question wants to know if you have family members who are employed at or alumni of OUWB or its hospitals. Again, someone called last year and this seems to have been confirmed. I think it would be much more appropriate to talk about having had good experiences with Beaumont Hospitals in your “motivation to attend OUWB” essay- that’s what I did.

I don’t think so. I was personally operated on at Beaumont Royal Oak and live 20min from OU and didn’t put anything for affiliations. Like so many other schools, I believe that this question wants to know if you have family members who are employed at or alumni of OUWB or its hospitals. Again, someone called last year and this seems to have been confirmed. I think it would be much more appropriate to talk about having had good experiences with Beaumont Hospitals in your “motivation to attend OUWB” essay- that’s what I did.
I totally misread the original quote. I would not put it down if you were a patient there