You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
nerdydoc88
Full Member
I'm going to have a heart attack if they send one more email with "waitlist" in the subject line
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nerdydoc88
Full Member
do you mind if I ask if you were IS or OOS?withdrew my acceptance today. definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be-- OUWB is such an awesome school and I loved everyone I interacted with from there! Here's to maybe matching at oakland in the future 😉 good luck everyone!
Out of statedo you mind if I ask if you were IS or OOS?
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
Where do we pay the deposit?
nerdydoc88
Full Member
Any of the accepted students now how many have been accepted so far?
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
thank you! i made the deposit with a minute to spareStudent Portal in pre-matriculation requirements
Difficult decision but also withdrew- hope it goes to one of you!!
nerdydoc88
Full Member
There are students from the previous M1-M4 to answer questions so I wasn't sure. 250 seems pretty highBased on our FB page I'd say ~250
I'm a current M1 and about 90+ of my friends are in the class of 2024 page, along with many other classmates and M2s I'm not FB friends with. Unfortunately the class page is not a good measure of estimating accepted students.True, but looking at the list the current students make up about 30 people, and accounting for people who aren't on FB (albeit this may be a small number) there is likely still over 200. 250 was just an estimate
I'm happy to answer any questions here or by PM anyone has about being a student at OUWB!
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
Have you heard anything regarding fall classes being online?I'm a current M1 and about 90+ of my friends are in the class of 2024 page, along with many other classmates and M2s I'm not FB friends with. Unfortunately the class page is not a good measure of estimating accepted students.
I'm happy to answer any questions here or by PM anyone has about being a student at OUWB!
futureMD9579
New Member
Have you heard anything regarding fall classes being online?
No definitive decisions have been made unfortunately :/ I really hope we are able to establish a sense of normalcy soon. Us current students are just as in the dark as you guys. Schools across the country are still waiting to decide.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
futureMD9579
New Member
True, but looking at the list the current students make up about 30 people, and accounting for people who aren't on FB (albeit this may be a small number) there is likely still over 200. 250 was just an estimate
I can also confirm that 105 of my facebook friends are on the class page (m1s) and a other current students that I am not Facebook friends with.
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
Have there been any talks regarding it though? Some California undergrad universities have been discussing online options for fall semester, so it seems like some schools may remain physically closed.No definitive decisions have been made unfortunately :/ I really hope we are able to establish a sense of normalcy soon. Us current students are just as in the dark as you guys. Schools across the country are still waiting to decide.
D
deleted850233
Have there been any talks regarding it though? Some California undergrad universities have been discussing online options for fall semester, so it seems like some schools may remain physically closed.
Oakland University reveals plans for fall semester
They will be requiring face masks, utilizing a coronavirus testing program, and turning ballrooms into classrooms built with social distancing in mind.
There’s this. Don’t know how reliable it is.
Just withdrew from here. It was really bittersweet and this is a fantastic place to be. I hope it goes to one of you deserving people!
takeiiteasy
New Member
Withdrew my acceptance with full-merit scholarship yesterday. OUWB is such a happy place to be! I hope one of you folks on the WL gets some exciting news + $$ soon!!!
popcorn1096
Full Member
I was on the waitlist here (first tier), but withdrew, hopefully one of you gets bumped up!! 🙂
PA2MaybeMD
New Member
I withdrew this week. Best of luck to those on the WL!
During a recent town hall they said they are preparing for fall semester to be online. For new M1s, this means the possibility of white coat ceremony & orientation activities (a pretty fun week) being delayed, and anatomy lab being converted to online learning. Nothing has been officially decided but the school is prepared.Have you heard anything regarding fall classes being online?
random 12 AM thought during quarantine - i'm so glad i won't get their webinar emails anymore
I never got one. Not even in my junk mail.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Consider yourself lucky lol.I never got one. Not even in my junk mail.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Any waitlisters hear anything yet? I hope there's movement
wsu_premed
Full Member
Any waitlisters hear anything yet? I hope there's movement
Nothing yet. But there were only about 5 or 6 people on here who said they were tier 1. It seems as though the committee meets on Wednesdays. Maybe they only send out acceptances on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nerdydoc88
Full Member
nopeDid you guys get any sort of confirmation after completing the waitlist survey?
D
deleted861279
Has anyone gotten off from the 2nd tier waitlist in the past?
I have met someone who has so its possible but the odds arent great for itHas anyone gotten off from the 2nd tier waitlist in the past?
D
deleted861279
What did they do? Write a letter to the admissions office?I have met someone who has so its possible but the odds arent great for it
Honestly I dont know. I met them when they were an M1 and it was by chance. It was a brief exchangeWhat did they do? Write a letter to the admissions office?
nerdydoc88
Full Member
Anyone know if there's a difference between top tier IS vs OOS? I'm OOS but I know OUWB seems to prefer having a majority of IS
Anyone know if there's a difference between top tier IS vs OOS? I'm OOS but I know OUWB seems to prefer having a majority of IS
I don’t think OUWB is known to have a geographic bias. Based on class demographics i’d say other states are pretty well represented. They probably admit more MI because of more MI applicants but that doesn’t necessarily mean they prefer MI over others
nerdydoc88
Full Member
Just got the call! OOS First tier! Cried on the phone and I'm pretty sure Dean K thinks I'm nuts now lol
CONGRATS!!!Just got the call! OOS First tier! Cried on the phone and I'm pretty sure Dean K thinks I'm nuts now lol
D
deleted979887
I missed a call from a 317 area code but it actually turned out to be Dean K. Accepted off the first tier waitlist. OOS from Ohio.
wsu_premed
Full Member
I don’t think OUWB is known to have a geographic bias. Based on class demographics i’d say other states are pretty well represented. They probably admit more MI because of more MI applicants but that doesn’t necessarily mean they prefer MI over others
I think being OOS is actually an advantage. People who are OOS are more likely to want to stay closer to home if they get into their in state school. I think they probably replace every OOS spot with an OOS WL person. Not saying this is always true but I’m sure it’s more common for OOS people to give up their spots.
To current students: what are the specs for the MacBook Pro that's provided through the student laptop program?
D
deleted979887
Would we be expected to move in even if classes are online for the Fall semester? This whole situation is a mess man.
hopefulpremed2020
Full Member
Really would like more info on this. My home state is extending the stay at home order till August. Moving under these circumstances would be difficultWould we be expected to move in even if classes are online for the Fall semester? This whole situation is a mess man.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Base model 13" from last summer, 500 GB, 1.4 GHz i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3. Presumably they will order the base 13" model this year with the same storage for the incoming class.To current students: what are the specs for the MacBook Pro that's provided through the student laptop program?
Last edited:
I know the uncertainty is frustrating, but they are still trying to figure it all out. Right now the university has cancelled face-to-face for the summer semesters, which overlaps with the beginning of med school in August. For now I would say cover your bases by getting on waiting lists for local apartments, but also look into places that may be further away from campus but less expensive. There have been no official decisions yet (because they have to coordinate with the university and obvs the state government too) but in all likelihood you will be spending minimal time on campus this fall.Really would like more info on this. My home state is extending the stay at home order till August. Moving under these circumstances would be difficult
D
deleted850233
if you choose "edit selection" you will see the commit to enroll option.Hey I was looking for the "Commit to Enroll" tab on AMCAS but the only option I got is Plan to enroll, any other people have this issue?
Really would like more info on this. My home state is extending the stay at home order till August. Moving under these circumstances would be difficult
Same, but I'd move regardless, you don't want to be moving during the winter break or even worse during the middle of the semester if they change any of the classes.
bluerock
Full Member
I think most schools will probably take a hybrid approach to minimize classroom time. However, you just can't replace labs with online content. I'm moving from West to East Coast with a family in tow. The whole West Coast is very much locked down. Just be thankful you don't have to sell a house or hire a nanny (because elementary schools are closed), during a pandemic. This isn't China. You're free to move. Put on your big girl undies. You got this!Would we be expected to move in even if classes are online for the Fall semester? This whole situation is a mess man.