2018-2019 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (Athens, Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got secondary invitation!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else not get a password in the second email that included your username with the portal link? I'm about to email them but before I do I thought I'd ask.

Did anyone else not get a password in the second email that included your username with the portal link? I'm about to email them but before I do I thought I'd ask.
I just hit reset password on the home login screen and reset the password

Anyone have any insight to differences in the campuses? Curriculum differences and match rated etc..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I didn't have the password in my email either. I email them, and they said they are having issues with their system right now.

Anyone have any insight to differences in the campuses? Curriculum differences and match rated etc..

Cleveland and Dublin are smaller classes. They are newer with apparently much nicer/newer facilities/equipment (not that athens is bad is just not as new). Athens will be getting a new building in 2020, i believe, so there facilities will get a big upgrade then. More city and suburb vibes at cleve and dub, respectfully. Curriculum is the same for the most part at all campuses unless you're in one of the special programs like TCC. They use to broadcast the same lectures across all 3 campuses apparently but that is changing with the new curriculum. Idk if there is match differences bt/campuses.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I just finished my first year at OUHCOM Cleveland, so if you have questions or anything I’d be happy to answer in a message or on here. To answer the question about campus differences, Dublin just graduated their first class and Cleveland hasn’t graduated a class yet so there is not stats on Match differences. But we are all taught everything the same. They go so far as to not allow professors to hold formal review periods unless all 3 campuses offer them. They try to make everything the same. They say “one class, three campuses” or something like that all the time.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got my secondary last night!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary! There are a lot of questions that are more unique than usual.

In your secondaries have you received questions on the 3 year program? I read that last year it was a second separate application that they send out, but I'm not sure if they didn't they integrated it into the secondary this year and I was not selected for the questoon.

Got a secondary but probably not going to submit because of the 5 year contract for OOS students.

Got a secondary but probably not going to submit because of the 5 year contract for OOS students.

I didn’t know there was a five year contract. I haven’t gone through my secondary yet though.

I'm doing it even if I'm OOS. There's an exemption to the contract you can apply for if you're accepted and they allow you to.

Prompts:
1. Describe a situation where you chose to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? How do you see it linked to your role as a physician/leader? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (250 words max)

2. Answer ONE of the following three questions in the form of a short essay, 250 words maximum:
a. Describe the community in which you were nurtured or spent the majority of your early development with respect to its demographics. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make to your community as a medical student and later as a physician?
b. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacle or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?
c. Part of OU-HCOM's mission is to embrace diversity and public service and improve the health and wellbeing of underserved populations. Describe what that means to you and how you would contribute to that mission as a student and as a future physician.

3. While completing your AACOMAS application, you indicated an interest in the dual degree program. Please submit a short essay (500 words or fewer) describing how this path would support your career goals.

Reactions: 1 users
Would be so nice to be able to use my Duke essay for the first prompt (exactly the same as one of their essays), but they allowed 750 words.. :shrug:

In your secondaries have you received questions on the 3 year program? I read that last year it was a second separate application that they send out, but I'm not sure if they didn't they integrated it into the secondary this year and I was not selected for the questoon.
Are you referring to the Transformative Care Continuum that is in affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic? If so, I have the same question. I indicated my interest on the primary application but there is no essay etc. on the secondary they sent me. Did anyone else get any information pertaining to this program?

Yup! Hopefully, they're just sending it out as a separate secondary like they did last year.

Hey guys, so I submitted my AACOMAS application on 7/10 most likely it will take a month to do the professional transcript entry and get everything verified. So lets say the OUHCOM gets my primary 8/15. Would this be considered late or average?

Hey guys, so I submitted my AACOMAS application on 7/10 most likely it will take a month to do the professional transcript entry and get everything verified. So lets say the OUHCOM gets my primary 8/15. Would this be considered late or average?
I think that's still considered early for DO schools

Reactions: 1 users

Applicants can be invited to complete the supplemental application for the Transformative Care Continuum 3-year program after their secondaries are submitted.

Are you referring to the Transformative Care Continuum that is in affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic? If so, I have the same question. I indicated my interest on the primary application but there is no essay etc. on the secondary they sent me. Did anyone else get any information pertaining to this program?

Applicants can be invited to complete the supplemental application for the Transformative Care Continuum 3-year program after their secondaries are submitted.

I was verified yesterday, anyone have thoughts on when I should have the secondary?

Did anyone receive a complete email after submitting the secondary?

Did anyone receive a complete email after submitting the secondary?
Nothing. Just payment verification. Portal says app submitted, and nothing else needed for me.

So, on my primary I checked that I potentially was interested in the dual degree programs because I thought that it was just for interest and that I would get an email with more information or something. I see now that it adds an essay to my secondary on why I want to be in the program and I'm not really ready to commit to that. Does anyone know if I can get the essay removed? I don't think I can submit without uploading something so I can't just leave it blank.

So, on my primary I checked that I potentially was interested in the dual degree programs because I thought that it was just for interest and that I would get an email with more information or something. I see now that it adds an essay to my secondary on why I want to be in the program and I'm not really ready to commit to that. Does anyone know if I can get the essay removed? I don't think I can submit without uploading something so I can't just leave it blank.

I say just do the essay. Talk about why you even might have interest in the dual degree program you selected.

I don’t think this commits you to applying for their dual degree program

Hi everyone! I just finished my first year at OUHCOM Cleveland, so if you have questions or anything I’d be happy to answer in a message or on here. To answer the question about campus differences, Dublin just graduated their first class and Cleveland hasn’t graduated a class yet so there is not stats on Match differences. But we are all taught everything the same. They go so far as to not allow professors to hold formal review periods unless all 3 campuses offer them. They try to make everything the same. They say “one class, three campuses” or something like that all the time.

My stats are as goes: GPA 3.59 and Science GPA of 3.4. MCAT of 501.
Do you think I have good chances of getting in?

Thanks!

If anyone has thoughts on how they approached the advocacy prompt, I would love to hear them! I am struggling with it, not sure how broadly or narrowly they're defining advocacy

If anyone has thoughts on how they approached the advocacy prompt, I would love to hear them! I am struggling with it, not sure how broadly or narrowly they're defining advocacy
I talked about how I've always been an advocate for the LGBT community. And how specifically I've worked with someone who refused to acknowledge another coworker by their gender pronoun and name post transition and another friend who thought the transgender population were targeting her kids in bathrooms. Hope that gives you ideas. Sometimes advocacy is just confronting someone who's not treating people right because of their race, religion, LGBT status, etc...

I received my secondary 12 days after submitting my primary.
OK this helps, because my AACOMS got verified about a week ago. I have received secondary apps from about 5 DO schools so far but not OU.

Did you guys receive a complete email when your app was complete?

I'm doing it even if I'm OOS. There's an exemption to the contract you can apply for if you're accepted and they allow you to.

Can you elaborate more on the exemption? Who is eligible for it?

Don't know. I'm not an adcom. I saw that they offered them in special cases, it didn't really elaborate.

Hmm ok I'll probably call them tomorrow to figure that out