2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! LM 72, complete mid-August, interviewed late October. Lol got the email before checking the portal.

35 schools applied, 1 interview invite (Upstate), 1 acceptance.

Ladies and gentlemen, you only need one interview to get accepted into an MD school and become a doctor. Even if I get rejections from all of the other 34 schools, it won’t matter cause I’m gonna be a damn good physician! Believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Accepted! LM 72, complete mid-August, interviewed late October. Lol got the email before checking the portal.

Ladies and gentlemen, you only need one interview to get accepted into an MD school and become a doctor. Even if I get rejections from the 34 remaining schools, it won’t matter cause I’m gonna be a damn good physician! Believe that.

congratulations!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted !! Interviewed late October.
Current students, can you list what you like/don't like about Upstate -in regards to curriculum, clerkship, the city in general, etc.
Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 11/5 and I'm scared to check the portal :lol:were you in the morning group or afternoon group? We might have met!

I was in the afternoon group. I hope it goes well for you too. Maybe we’ll be in class together :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Ladies and gentlemen, you only need one interview to get accepted into an MD school and become a doctor. Even if I get rejections from the 34 remaining schools, it won’t matter cause I’m gonna be a damn good physician! Believe that.

I agree wholeheartedly. I applied to 25, got two interviews, 1 acceptance and waiting to hear back on the second. But now no matter what happens I know I’ll be a doctor! Such a relief.

Reactions: 3 users
If I want to change my mailing address, should I do it on the application page on AAMC or should I call the school? I'm going home for winter break so if I get accepted over the course of the break I'd like my acceptance stuff to be sent there.

I wasn't put on hold but got an interview late last week. The only spots for interview were next week (too soon eek) or beginning of February. I'm OOS/Canadian, do you think waiting that long to interview will hurt my chances? Are there spots in January, that perhaps I should wait to see if they open up? Any advice appreciated :)

My portal cleared this morning and I don't have a decision there so probably a reject/hold. Oh well

Can any current students speak to the cost of living in Syracuse - specifically about on campus housing vs. off campus housing?
Not a student (yet) but a Syracuse resident for 21 years. Syracuse is very cheap compared to the major cities (NYC/Boston/DC/Chicago/etc.) Whenever I'm home I'm amazed at how far my money goes. This is a bad example but you could get a beer that would cost $10-15 in the city for like $3-5 at a bar downtown. Off-campus housing is also very cheap, although much of it is the same housing as SU/Le Moyne students if you go in on a house with friends so they're definitely louder than I imagine the dorms are. A friend is a current student in the dorms and he wishes he lived off campus because the dorms are nice but they're pretty bare boned and you don't get to pick your roommate. A lot of people think that it's mandatory to live on-campus but that isn't the case.

Overall, Syracuse is cheap

My portal cleared this morning and I don't have a decision there so probably a reject/hold. Oh well

Wait so mine cleared too! If we don’t have a decision then it’s probs not a good sign then?

Just checked the portal today for a nice surprise :) 11/5 interview, its my first acceptance of the cycle and im thrilled! good luck to everyone! hang in there!

Wait so mine cleared too! If we don’t have a decision then it’s probs not a good sign then?
Yeah, I called the admissions office, and they said that it has nothing to do with the decision (apparently), but it looks like anyone who got rejected on this forum had their portal cleared with no decision. Hoping that's not true, but I'm not getting my hopes up

Would you mind posting a picture of what a “cleared portal” looks like?
The 'your application is under committee review' disappears and there is/isn't a decision in its place

The 'your application is under committee review' disappears and there is/isn't a decision in its place
Hmm.... I don’t feel like I ever saw it read “your application is under committee review”... I could also just not remember. Right now mine only has two columns... one says “admissions term” with fall 2019 under it and then the other says “date created” with the date my app was created underneath.. so does this seem like my portal has been cleared? Also I was originally put on hold

Hmm.... I don’t feel like I ever saw it read “your application is under committee review”... I could also just not remember. Right now mine only has two columns... one says “admissions term” with fall 2019 under it and then the other says “date created” with the date my app was created underneath.. so does this seem like my portal has been cleared? Also I was originally put on hold
That's what mine looks like too. When did you interview?

That's what mine looks like too. When did you interview?
Oh I have yet to receive an interview invite. Sorry I should have been more clear. I thought people were referring to cleared portals in regards to getting rejected or receiving an interview as well, not just rejection vs. acceptance. My portal has been cleared for a little while, I was just trying to figure out what it meant.

Oh I have yet to receive an interview invite. Sorry I should have been more clear. I thought people were referring to cleared portals in regards to getting rejected or receiving an interview as well, not just rejection vs. acceptance. My portal has been cleared for a little while, I was just trying to figure out what it meant.
oh honestly I'm not sure about what it looks like for those who haven't interviewed yet! I wish the best of luck to you, though!

I might be acting super neurotic but I just looked on my app summary on the portal and a new requirement just came up for my college transcript that wasn't there a few hours ago, and I've interviewed already and my portal is cleared. Does this mean anything at all?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 9.27.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 9.27.16 PM.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 204
I might be acting super neurotic but I just looked on my app summary on the portal and a new requirement just came up for my college transcript that wasn't there a few hours ago, and I've interviewed already and my portal is cleared. Does this mean anything at all?

That appeared in my portal too after I was accepted soooo hopefully that’s the case for you!

what are the chances of getting an interview after being placed on hold?? Im from Canada and im not familiar with the process in the US

That appeared in my portal too after I was accepted soooo hopefully that’s the case for you!

thank you for replying! really hoping so! Just waiting on that all important email!

what are the chances of getting an interview after being placed on hold?? Im from Canada and im not familiar with the process in the US
At upstate a hold isn't necessarily a soft rejection, they start reviewing applicants on hold on Dec. 15th... you could still get an interview!

has anyone who interviewed on 11/7 heard back yet?

Last edited:
has anyone who interviewed on 11/7 heard back yet?

No, dying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

When I called yesterday they said they were a little behind on apps. I'm assuming I'm rejected because my portal cleared but I still haven't gotten an email yet, and they told me it could be a week or two. I interviewed on 11/5

II today, IS, complete early-mid September. Dates available were mid February

Honestly not sure, this was the first correspondence I got from them after the complete email
Ahhh I see. They email you if you are placed on hold, so you probably weren't. Would you mind sharing your LMscore?

II this morning! :highfive::highfive::highfive: OOS LM ~70, WARS 80-85. Was previously placed on hold in September. Came out of left field but I’m very excited! Earliest date was in mid February, but more dates were available throughout March as well.

Anyone got any idea of post-interview acceptance rate here?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you still have a decent shot at an acceptance if you interview in February as OOS/Canadian?