2018-2019 Texas A&M Health Science Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have a feel for the range of merit scholarship money given and approx how many people get it?
Range... here you don’t necessarily have to have a certain GPA. I think their scholarships are mission based, so it depends on your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After a certain age, I don’t think you put your parents info. I never did when I started, but I was also 25 and independent once I started college.

I had a discussion with a financial aid person during a different interview about this. I am 28 and have been independent from my parents for 5-6 years, but she said I still had to input my parents income and assets when applying for FAFSA. I haven't applied yet so I don't know for sure, but it isn't promising based on that conversation.

Ugh, just as I was scared of... Thanks for the reply
I had a discussion with a financial aid person during a different interview about this. I am 28 and have been independent from my parents for 5-6 years, but she said I still had to input my parents income and assets when applying for FAFSA. I haven't applied yet so I don't know for sure, but it isn't promising based on that conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got placed onto the EnMed Alternate list, which I assume is a waiting list! OOS

Last edited:
is an alternate list worse than the waitlist? Waitlist is ranked and alternate list is not! I'm just not sure what the difference is

So is everyone not put on the waitlist? Also is everyone not put on the wait list at the same time?

is an alternate list worse than the waitlist? Waitlist is ranked and alternate list is not! I'm just not sure what the difference is
no its the same thing!! - sorry I should've said alternate!

So is everyone not put on the waitlist? Also is everyone not put on the wait list at the same time?
I think we are all out of state who heard today, so maybe thats why it is later?

Reactions: 1 users
Did yall get a apply to MD plus program email?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS regular med, alternate list today. And then an email about MD Plus.

Anyone have predictions about the total number offered an alternate list position or when to expect movement?

Can we still apply for the MD plus program if waitlisted?

OOS regular med, alternate list today. And then an email about MD Plus.

Anyone have predictions about the total number offered an alternate list position or when to expect movement?

MSAR says they have about 100 on the alternate list and approximately 40 are pulled from that pool. I also saw on last year's thread (I think) that people are continuously added to the alternate list. It also looks like nobody gets off a waitlist until March at the earliest, but it could theoretically happen any time between now and July.

Can we still apply for the MD plus program if waitlisted?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Does anybody know how being assigned to a campus works if pulled off the waitlist? Do you still get to rank your preferences or are you just assigned to a location?

MSAR says they have about 100 on the alternate list and approximately 40 are pulled from that pool. I also saw on last year's thread (I think) that people are continuously added to the alternate list.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Does anybody know how being assigned to a campus works if pulled off the waitlist? Do you still get to rank your preferences or are you just assigned to a location?

They mentioned that you submit your list in march and get assigned in april or may on my interview day. That could very well change though as they also told my group the class size would be 125, I would like to know the answer to this as well.

They mentioned that you submit your list in march and get assigned in april or may on my interview day. That could very well change though as they also told my group the class size would be 125, I would like to know the answer to this as well.
Yeah I keep hearing different class sizes!

okay so does anyone have an understanding of the waitlist vs alternate list.
From what I found, a waitlist is ranked, while an alternate list is not ranked.

Second thing: MD Plus Program deadline is March 1st 2019. So far us who are on the waitlist or alternate list, does anyone know how to go about this?

okay so does anyone have an understanding of the waitlist vs alternate list.
From what I found, a waitlist is ranked, while an alternate list is not ranked.

Second thing: MD Plus Program deadline is March 1st 2019. So far us who are on the waitlist or alternate list, does anyone know how to go about this?
Can one of you explain what “MD Plus Program” is?
First I have heard of it and it is very confusing to send this to y’all at the same time as your alternate list notification !!

Can one of you explain what “MD Plus Program” is?
First I have heard of it and it is very confusing to send this to y’all at the same time as your alternate list notification !!
MD+MBA or MD+MPH and there are a couple other dual MDs offered through the MD plus

Thank you. Though I thought applications for those would have been due quite a while back, right?

I opted to apply to the MD Plus program for an MBA after being accepted last year. There’s still time to apply. Though I’m not sure about applying if you have not been accepted to the MD program (waitlisted), I can answer some questions about MD Plus if anyone has any.

I opted to apply to the MD Plus program for an MBA after being accepted last year. There’s still time to apply. Though I’m not sure about applying if you have not been accepted to the MD program (waitlisted), I can answer some questions about MD Plus if anyone has any.
Thank you!!! They told us in the email that the deadline is Mar 1 for applications but to hear that that may not be the case is comforting. What is the application process like for the MBA program? Are GMAT scores needed with that application? And how do they add in the MBA curriculum around MD?

Ugh, just as I was scared of... Thanks for the reply

I just put in my FAFSA, and they gave me the option to not put in my parents' information because I was born prior to 1996. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but I thought I would update you. I guess the person I spoke to in financial aid didn't think I was that old.

Just got an email from A&M saying that I got a post-II R and that I won’t be on their waitlist. Fade me fam

According to TMDSAS rules,

"After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas..."

So suppose you matched to a lower ranked school but decide to matriculate to an OOS school and therefore reject the matched schools offer before April 30. Will you then be no longer considered for acceptance on higher ranked schools waitlists after June 1?

@wysdoc

According to TMDSAS rules,

"After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas..."

So suppose you matched to a lower ranked school but decide to matriculate to an OOS school and therefore reject the matched schools offer before April 30. Will you then be no longer considered for acceptance on higher ranked schools waitlists after June 1?

@wysdoc
Hmmm, good question!
The situation is usually that a person is holding a Texas seat and intending to go there, and in that case he could not be offered any WL posts after June 1.
You could wait until April 28-29 and see if there is WL movement from your preferred Texas school, unless your OOS school is pressuring you for a commitment? Do you have until April 30 to commit to them?
I'll see what I can find out from TMDSAS.

Hmmm, good question!
The situation is usually that a person is holding a Texas seat and intending to go there, and in that case he could not be offered any WL posts after June 1.
You could wait until April 28-29 and see if there is WL movement from your preferred Texas school, unless your OOS school is pressuring you for a commitment? Do you have until April 30 to commit to them?
I'll see what I can find out from TMDSAS.

April 30th is just the date you should decide between multiple schools. But you also lose your deposit after that date. So not that big of a deal if you were to get off the waitlist for the instate school at that point.

Appreciate the help!

April 30th is just the date you should decide between multiple schools. But you also lose your deposit after that date. So not that big of a deal if you were to get off the waitlist for the instate school at that point.

Appreciate the help!
Right, after that date you should hold only one spot. I was thinking hold on to the TX school until you are forced to decide by April 30. But I know what you are asking about the June 1 thing.

Thank you!!! They told us in the email that the deadline is Mar 1 for applications but to hear that that may not be the case is comforting. What is the application process like for the MBA program? Are GMAT scores needed with that application? And how do they add in the MBA curriculum around MD?

I’m sure if they said March 1st than that’s what it is, but the application for MD Plus is pretty easy. You basically just write about why you want the dual degree. I’m not sure if they are very selective or not. I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone being rejected. There is also an application to the MBA program. You’ll need a few LORs. No GMAT needed. There’s also an interview, but it’s low stress compared to MD interviews. As long as you have a good reason for wanting to do the program, you shouldn’t have a problem. Just don’t procrastinate the LORs. That’s what held me up the most.

Right, after that date you should hold only one spot. I was thinking hold on to the TX school until you are forced to decide by April 30. But I know what you are asking about the June 1 thing.
Yes please lmk what you find out!

Feeling ultra-blessed! OOS EnMed accepted! LM~75

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I was wait listed, pissed/ultra dejected since I thought I was the perfect fit for the program and had an amazing interview day (really liked everyone I met). Then boom, accepted 24 hrs later
Congrats!!!!!!!!
Congrats!! Were you placed on the alternate list first before getting accepted?

Yes, I was wait listed, pissed/ultra dejected since I thought I was the perfect fit for the program and had an amazing interview day (really liked everyone I met). Then boom, accepted 24 hrs later
wow! That gives me hope. Super happy for you!!

wow! That gives me hope. Super happy for you!!
Wow!! 24 hours later!! ok that gives me hope too!!! Really happy for you!! Go celebrate!!!

Congrats!! Did you manage to submit the one-page update of activities and additional letter of recommendation in the 24 hours that you were on the waitlist haha?

No lol I did not
Congrats!! Did you manage to submit the one-page update of activities and additional letter of recommendation in the 24 hours that you were on the waitlist haha?