2018-2019 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS, just got the alternative pool email as well. I'm very disappointed as I was absolutely in love with the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the movement of the alternate pool looks like vs how many people are one it and such?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Alt List here too. OOS and interviewed in August, which feels like forever ago!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the alternate email. Does that mean I'm waitlisted from the MD/PhD program here too? The email doesn't mention that

Just got the alternate email. Does that mean I'm waitlisted from the MD/PhD program here too? The email doesn't mention that

you gotta get into the MD school first, but there's a chance that after you get in off the waitlist you can also get into the PhD portion!

Reactions: 1 users
you gotta get into the MD school first, but there's a chance that after you get in off the waitlist you can also get into the PhD portion!
Ah, I see well hopefully that's the case

How many of those 20 are usually MD/PhD applicants?
The best place to ask MD/PhD questions is over on this thread: *** 2018-2019 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

If you haven't read it and followed it, you should!
Also this pair of threads:
*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD Acceptances ***
*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD Rejections ***

In watching these threads, I have not seen anyone announce either an acceptance or rejection from Texas Tech MD/PhD. But as we know, SDN is a small subset of the premed universe.

Last edited:
Just got waitlisted! Gonna be a suspenseful cycle haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see all of y'all make the alternative list. I wonder if there were any others who received a rejection email yesterday?

I was also waitlisted this morning!! IS interviewed in September. I go to Tech currently and their med school is my top choice

Are you guys going to send letters of intent or updates? I think they said it was allowed.

Alternate pool. So that makes 4 WLs this cycle ...
When did alternate pool movement start happening in past cycles?

Are you guys going to send letters of intent or updates? I think they said it was allowed.
I’m going to since they said we could and gave instructions on how to do it. I’m wondering though who to address it to?

Just got WL here. Can someone explain how they pull people out of the alternate pool if it is "not ranked"

Thanks!

Just got WL here. Can someone explain how they pull people out of the alternate pool if it is "not ranked"

Thanks!
They just won’t tell you where you stand on the list. Think how many phone calls they would get asking “what number am I now? How about now?”

They just won’t tell you where you stand on the list. Think how many phone calls they would get asking “what number am I now? How about now?”

I thought I read somewhere that they selected alternates based of characteristics ie. replacing an withdrawn student with someone with similar demographics and stats. Is this not the case?

I thought I read somewhere that they selected alternates based of characteristics ie. replacing an withdrawn student with someone with similar demographics and stats. Is this not the case?
I think it is the case but I don’t want to put any words in TTU’s mouth, LOL. And this is the reason most wait lists are not inflexibly ranked by stats alone, because they want to keep a balance by gender, IS-vs-OOS, other demographic factors.

Last edited:
Alternate list this AM... for the second time. OOS.
I also got waitlisted today. Do you remember if their message this year was the same as last years? I took the fact that they said they anticipated openings in the class to be a good sign, but I wasn't sure if that was just something they always say lol

I also got waitlisted today. Do you remember if their message this year was the same as last years? I took the fact that they said they anticipated openings in the class to be a good sign, but I wasn't sure if that was just something they always say lol

I can’t say for sure because I can’t access the portal message from last cycle, but knowing that the emails were identical it makes me think that the message on portal indicating potential movement was as well. Although, last cycle they did not allow an update. I do not recall the portal message giving details about how the update deadline of October 15th had passed and any further update will be circulated to the committee, although not part of your application. That’s new.

Does anyone know which day/how often the committee meets? I read last year it was on a Tuesday but don't know if it changes from year to year.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know which day/how often the committee meets? I read last year it was on a Tuesday but don't know if it changes from year to year.

Thanks in advance!

Do they still meet on a regular basis? Or do they just meet as needed now, based on whether they need to pull from the wait list?

How does the waitlist work here? has anyone come off the waitlist this year? Thanks!

Same :/ You guys think there'll be alot of movement this cycle?

Same :/ You guys think there'll be alot of movement this cycle?
Baylor had a wave of acceptances this week, so hopefully we start to see some movement soon!

Plus the first report of waitlist acceptances on SDN was April 10 last year.

Im pretty sure they just rejected me, good luck u guys! Hopefully I can see y’all next cycle if I get in!

Does anyone know if there might be any movement this week or next? It was around time last year that stuff started happening, right?

Does anyone know if there might be any movement this week or next? It was around time last year that stuff started happening, right?
From what little I know (and I may be completely wrong) about the process, April 15th is when people applying to schools through AMCAS have to trim their selections, so a few people may drop. On April 30, a final decision has to be made on AMCAS (and TMDSAS), so a few/several more will drop. On May 15th, schools can't offer a seat to applicants holding a seat at another school, so a few on the waitlist will be dropped.

So, around these times is when movement may take place. Hoping for the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How will this impact texas tech next cycle?

Texas Tech Medical School To End Use Of Race In Admissions
According to this website, "(Texas Tech) will discontinue all consideration of an applicant's race and/or national origin in admission policies. It called for the admissions staff and other staff to be informed of the policy change by March 1. The school also agreed to revise all admissions and recruitment material reflecting the change by Sept. 1." Since we are almost near the end of this cycle and their requirements don't get official till 9/1, it's unlikely in my opinion that it'll have much influence on this cycle.

Texas Tech Medical School To End Use Of Race In Admissions
According to this website, "(Texas Tech) will discontinue all consideration of an applicant's race and/or national origin in admission policies. It called for the admissions staff and other staff to be informed of the policy change by March 1. The school also agreed to revise all admissions and recruitment material reflecting the change by Sept. 1." Since we are almost near the end of this cycle and their requirements don't get official till 9/1, it's unlikely in my opinion that it'll have much influence on this cycle.
Ok sounds good!

How will this impact texas tech next cycle?
It means Texas tech is about to get a lot more Asian (in the next half decade) and their incoming stats will most likely see a small increase (more competitive to get in)

Considering techs current demographics and strong IS bias I don't see this changing much in terms of what their stats will be

I wonder if that'll influence them to admit more diverse applicants to round out the current cycle's applicant pool being that it'll be their last opportunity to use race to construct a more diverse pool of medical doctors.

I wonder if that'll influence them to admit more diverse applicants to round out the current cycle's applicant pool being that it'll be their last opportunity to use race to construct a more diverse pool of medical doctors.
Doubt it, the earliest they can accept an oos applicant is 10/15 and IS 11/15, by then the policies will be in place if I read it correctly

Doubt it, the earliest they can accept an oos applicant is 10/15 and IS 11/15, by then the policies will be in place if I read it correctly
Oh I was actually referring to the current applicant pool. I know they have a pretty sizable waitlist, so I'm wondering if this will influence who they pull off that waitlist at all.

Maybe, I doubt it though. If they did that, it would be a very obvious violation to their agreement and they could get into trouble for that...