-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Texas Tech University - Lubbock
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
OOS, just got the alternative pool email as well. I'm very disappointed as I was absolutely in love with the school.
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alt List here too. OOS and interviewed in August, which feels like forever ago!
Alt list here as well, IS interviewed mid November.
MSAR information states that 60-100 are placed in the alternate pool and about 20 are accepted out of it.Does anyone know what the movement of the alternate pool looks like vs how many people are one it and such?
Just got the alternate email. Does that mean I'm waitlisted from the MD/PhD program here too? The email doesn't mention that
you gotta get into the MD school first, but there's a chance that after you get in off the waitlist you can also get into the PhD portion!
How many of those 20 are usually MD/PhD applicants?MSAR information states that 60-100 are placed in the alternate pool and about 20 are accepted out of it.
Ah, I see well hopefully that's the caseyou gotta get into the MD school first, but there's a chance that after you get in off the waitlist you can also get into the PhD portion!
The best place to ask MD/PhD questions is over on this thread: *** 2018-2019 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***How many of those 20 are usually MD/PhD applicants?
If you haven't read it and followed it, you should!
Also this pair of threads:
*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD Acceptances ***
*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD Rejections ***
In watching these threads, I have not seen anyone announce either an acceptance or rejection from Texas Tech MD/PhD. But as we know, SDN is a small subset of the premed universe.
Last edited:
Just got waitlisted! Gonna be a suspenseful cycle haha
Just got waitlisted an hour ago! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was also waitlisted this morning!! IS interviewed in September. I go to Tech currently and their med school is my top choice
Are you guys going to send letters of intent or updates? I think they said it was allowed.
Alternate list this AM... for the second time. OOS.
LikeAirIRise
Full Member
Alternate pool. So that makes 4 WLs this cycle ...
When did alternate pool movement start happening in past cycles?
When did alternate pool movement start happening in past cycles?
I’m going to since they said we could and gave instructions on how to do it. I’m wondering though who to address it to?Are you guys going to send letters of intent or updates? I think they said it was allowed.
They just won’t tell you where you stand on the list. Think how many phone calls they would get asking “what number am I now? How about now?”Just got WL here. Can someone explain how they pull people out of the alternate pool if it is "not ranked"
Thanks!
They just won’t tell you where you stand on the list. Think how many phone calls they would get asking “what number am I now? How about now?”
I thought I read somewhere that they selected alternates based of characteristics ie. replacing an withdrawn student with someone with similar demographics and stats. Is this not the case?
I think it is the case but I don’t want to put any words in TTU’s mouth, LOL. And this is the reason most wait lists are not inflexibly ranked by stats alone, because they want to keep a balance by gender, IS-vs-OOS, other demographic factors.I thought I read somewhere that they selected alternates based of characteristics ie. replacing an withdrawn student with someone with similar demographics and stats. Is this not the case?
Last edited:
WL today - at least it's not a rejection!
I also got waitlisted today. Do you remember if their message this year was the same as last years? I took the fact that they said they anticipated openings in the class to be a good sign, but I wasn't sure if that was just something they always say lolAlternate list this AM... for the second time. OOS.
I also got waitlisted today. Do you remember if their message this year was the same as last years? I took the fact that they said they anticipated openings in the class to be a good sign, but I wasn't sure if that was just something they always say lol
I can’t say for sure because I can’t access the portal message from last cycle, but knowing that the emails were identical it makes me think that the message on portal indicating potential movement was as well. Although, last cycle they did not allow an update. I do not recall the portal message giving details about how the update deadline of October 15th had passed and any further update will be circulated to the committee, although not part of your application. That’s new.
wizardlizard
Full Member
Does anyone know which day/how often the committee meets? I read last year it was on a Tuesday but don't know if it changes from year to year.
Thanks in advance!
Do they still meet on a regular basis? Or do they just meet as needed now, based on whether they need to pull from the wait list?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard about MD/PhD acceptances/rejections so far?
Nope 🙁Has anyone heard about MD/PhD acceptances/rejections so far?
undecided_1994
New Member
How does the waitlist work here? has anyone come off the waitlist this year? Thanks!
It's unranked. I haven't come off the waitlist yet 🙁How does the waitlist work here? has anyone come off the waitlist this year? Thanks!
Same :/ You guys think there'll be alot of movement this cycle?
Baylor had a wave of acceptances this week, so hopefully we start to see some movement soon!Same :/ You guys think there'll be alot of movement this cycle?
Plus the first report of waitlist acceptances on SDN was April 10 last year.
captainreject
Full Member
Im pretty sure they just rejected me, good luck u guys! Hopefully I can see y’all next cycle if I get in!
Why do you think that?Im pretty sure they just rejected me, good luck u guys! Hopefully I can see y’all next cycle if I get in!
Did you get a rejection letter?Im pretty sure they just rejected me, good luck u guys! Hopefully I can see y’all next cycle if I get in!
From what little I know (and I may be completely wrong) about the process, April 15th is when people applying to schools through AMCAS have to trim their selections, so a few people may drop. On April 30, a final decision has to be made on AMCAS (and TMDSAS), so a few/several more will drop. On May 15th, schools can't offer a seat to applicants holding a seat at another school, so a few on the waitlist will be dropped.Does anyone know if there might be any movement this week or next? It was around time last year that stuff started happening, right?
So, around these times is when movement may take place. Hoping for the best!
Last edited:
How will this impact texas tech next cycle?
www.wsj.com
U.S. Requires Texas Tech Med School to End Use of Race in Admissions Decisions
The U.S. is requiring Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center medical school to cease factoring race into admissions decisions, putting other schools on notice that their use of affirmative action policies will draw scrutiny.
How will this impact texas tech next cycle?
![]()
U.S. Requires Texas Tech Med School to End Use of Race in Admissions Decisions
The U.S. is requiring Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center medical school to cease factoring race into admissions decisions, putting other schools on notice that their use of affirmative action policies will draw scrutiny.www.wsj.com
Texas Tech Medical School To End Use Of Race In Admissions
According to this website, "(Texas Tech) will discontinue all consideration of an applicant's race and/or national origin in admission policies. It called for the admissions staff and other staff to be informed of the policy change by March 1. The school also agreed to revise all admissions and recruitment material reflecting the change by Sept. 1." Since we are almost near the end of this cycle and their requirements don't get official till 9/1, it's unlikely in my opinion that it'll have much influence on this cycle.
Ok sounds good!Texas Tech Medical School To End Use Of Race In Admissions
According to this website, "(Texas Tech) will discontinue all consideration of an applicant's race and/or national origin in admission policies. It called for the admissions staff and other staff to be informed of the policy change by March 1. The school also agreed to revise all admissions and recruitment material reflecting the change by Sept. 1." Since we are almost near the end of this cycle and their requirements don't get official till 9/1, it's unlikely in my opinion that it'll have much influence on this cycle.
It means Texas tech is about to get a lot more Asian (in the next half decade) and their incoming stats will most likely see a small increase (more competitive to get in)How will this impact texas tech next cycle?
![]()
U.S. Requires Texas Tech Med School to End Use of Race in Admissions Decisions
The U.S. is requiring Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center medical school to cease factoring race into admissions decisions, putting other schools on notice that their use of affirmative action policies will draw scrutiny.www.wsj.com
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering techs current demographics and strong IS bias I don't see this changing much in terms of what their stats will be
LikeAirIRise
Full Member
I wonder if that'll influence them to admit more diverse applicants to round out the current cycle's applicant pool being that it'll be their last opportunity to use race to construct a more diverse pool of medical doctors.
Doubt it, the earliest they can accept an oos applicant is 10/15 and IS 11/15, by then the policies will be in place if I read it correctlyI wonder if that'll influence them to admit more diverse applicants to round out the current cycle's applicant pool being that it'll be their last opportunity to use race to construct a more diverse pool of medical doctors.
LikeAirIRise
Full Member
Oh I was actually referring to the current applicant pool. I know they have a pretty sizable waitlist, so I'm wondering if this will influence who they pull off that waitlist at all.Doubt it, the earliest they can accept an oos applicant is 10/15 and IS 11/15, by then the policies will be in place if I read it correctly
Maybe, I doubt it though. If they did that, it would be a very obvious violation to their agreement and they could get into trouble for that...I wonder if that'll influence them to admit more diverse applicants to round out the current cycle's applicant pool being that it'll be their last opportunity to use race to construct a more diverse pool of medical doctors.