2018-2019 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has received any correspondence from Texas Tech regarding financial aid and/or medical school requirements like vaccinations.

If not, when should we expect to get caught up on all the details regarding starting medical school?

Thanks in advance!!

- Retro

Anxiously on edge waiting to hear back regarding waitlist movement from this school :confused:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same...this year is so much slower than previous years:/
Right, I just looked at last year's thread and saw a significant amount of movement starting on April 9th. I wonder what that means.

The other school I’m eyeing seems to be slow to creating movement as well...strange

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. Congrats to everyone who is admitted and committed, and best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! If you have any questions (about Lubbock, the curriculum, the campus system, etc), feel free to message me! I'm a 3rd year so my info may be a bit out of date, but I can try!

Has anyone dared to call in & ask about movement? :wideyed:

Reactions: 1 user
Please let us know what they say!!
Not much haha.

Me: so I was just wondering what the status of the alternate pool is and when we can expect to hear about some movement .

Them: You can hear from us anytime until the week before classes start. Anything else?

That’s pretty much it. I wouldn’t recommend calling in to anyone else on the waitlist

Not much haha.

Me: so I was just wondering what the status of the alternate pool is and when we can expect to hear about some movement .

Them: You can hear from us anytime until the week before classes start. Anything else?

That’s pretty much it. I wouldn’t recommend calling in to anyone else on the waitlist

Thank you. You are our hero...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much haha.

Well that's really disappointing... thanks for asking!!

For current med students, how is living in Lubbock? Is there a certain apartment complex which most med students live in?

I'm currently holding an acceptance to Texas Tech (my in-state institution) and an at out of state institution in a metropolitan city on the east coast (not that rankings matter *at all,* but ranked a decent amount higher than Tech). I have been living in a large metropolitan city outside of TX for two years now, unsure if it would be a culture shock. I was so impressed by Tech and loved it when I visited, my only reservations are toward the actual city itself. Any current students experience this feeling before matriculating and can comment on your experience now? Or had reservations toward the south in general? In-state tuition is pretty tough to turn down.

I lived in Lubbock 6 years before I moved to a regional campus, so I might can help! As far as culture shock goes, I think there would definitely be one to some extent. Going from any big city to Lubbock is a culture shock! However, my time in Lubbock was nothing but pleasant. The people are generally really friendly, which I think is reflected in the culture of the school as well. Amenities-wise, Lubbock definitely can't compare to a city of ~1 million; that said, it's nothing to sneeze at. There's a fair amount of culture events on the Tech undergrad campus (plays/recitals/etc), as well as off campus (First Friday art trail). There's also quite a few wineries around, lots good bars, and a surprising number of good restaurants, with more popping up every month. We're also close to good hiking, and fairly close to skiing in New Mexico.

Perks of Lubbock: no traffic, can get anywhere in 15 minutes, and it is dirt cheap in the cost of living category. Also if you really want to leave town, the Lubbock airport is nice/not busy, and has direct flights to Dallas, Austin, Houston, and Vegas ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Making me nervous that we haven’t seen waitlist movement yet???

Withdrawing my acceptance today, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Holy F bro. I’m gonna go nuts if I get off the waitlist in June, after reapplying .

Tech’s deadline for people with multiple acceptances to narrow down to one school is this Wednesday (May 15th), right? I’m hoping that’ll spur some WL movement soon

Tech’s deadline for people with multiple acceptances to narrow down to one school is this Wednesday (May 15th), right? I’m hoping that’ll spur some WL movement soon

This is taken straight from the TMDSAS Website:

Offers may be extended to applicants who are not currently holding a seat at another institution.

How I read this, and I may be completely wrong, is that individuals without any acceptances can only be offered after this date (likely only for in-state). If this is the case , it's possible that there has been little to no movement because most offers will be going out to those who are not already matched at other schools.

Again, I could be wrong, but just trying to inspire a little hope for us all.

This is taken straight from the TMDSAS Website:

How I read this, and I may be completely wrong, is that individuals without any acceptances can only be offered after this date (likely only for in-state). If this is the case , it's possible that there has been little to no movement because most offers will be going out to those who are not already matched at other schools.

Again, I could be wrong, but just trying to inspire a little hope for us all.
You are almost right...
ANYONE can be made an offer right now (those with prior acceptances or with none) .
After May 15, ONLY those with NO prior Texas acceptances are eligible for Texas offers.

Reactions: 3 users
You are almost right...
ANYONE can be made an offer right now (those with prior acceptances or with none) .
After May 15, ONLY those with NO prior Texas acceptances are eligible for Texas offers.

To clarify- does that mean if someone was waitlisted at Texas tech but accepted at a school they ranked lower than TTU on TMDSAS for the match, they’ll lose their WL spot at Tech after may 15? Just wondering if that means the WL pool may get a little bit smaller after Wednesday

To clarify- does that mean if someone was waitlisted at Texas tech but accepted at a school they ranked lower than TTU on TMDSAS for the match, they’ll lose their WL spot at Tech after may 15? Just wondering if that means the WL pool may get a little bit smaller after Wednesday
Yes.

You are almost right...
Thanks for the clarification. Finally some wonderful news for someone like me.

Reactions: 4 users
Does this rule apply to only TMDSAS schools or can accepted students from AACOMAS also get offers after May 15?

Does this rule apply to only TMDSAS schools or can accepted students from AACOMAS also get offers after May 15?
Just TMDSAS MD schools and also TCOM (DO school but uses TMDSAS app and rules) and Baylor (AMCAS school but state subsidized so participates in the TMDSAS deadlines & rules) .

Does anyone know how many OOS students Tech takes from the waitlist? I've been reading this thread for a long time now and with the timeline closing in I'm hoping to get pulled from this waitlist!

Does anyone know how many OOS students Tech takes from the waitlist? I've been reading this thread for a long time now and with the timeline closing in I'm hoping to get pulled from this waitlist!

I have no idea but im in the same boat as you!

Welps tomorrow is the last day for me to get pulled off I guess

Weird how no one has reported an acceptance here since Feb
I noticed that too! A few theories, some tongue-in-cheek:
1. People who got in to Texas Tech are happy with their placement
2. Maybe there have been a few spots relinquished as people got other offers, but the Adcoms are waiting for one big ol' meeting to line up their WL offers after the dust dies down in May.
3. West Texans are laconic and strong silent types, who don't put much stock in sharing their feelings and news on message boards. LOL

Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
Well I think that's it for me everyone, probably dropped off of the WL after today but man I would've loved this school. :/

Good luck to everyone on the rest of this cycle! :)

I have a friend who got accepted to TTUHSC in July last year, so y’all are still in the fight.

Reactions: 3 users