2018-2019 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is responsible for providing primary health care to 108 counties of West Texas. We are interested in hearing about the areas of medicine that interest you.

Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box.

• This page is incomplete.
  1. Areas of interest: 100 words or less each

FMAT
    Practicing in an underserved area
    Rural health
    Medical Research
    Medical Academics
    Primary Care
    Border Health
    Public Health Other (Please describe below)
2. Of the activities listed in your primary application, identify 3 that you consider to be the most meaningful in your pursuit of a medical career and explain why. (300 words or less)

1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)
    Yes
    No
  2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)
    Word Count300
  3. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, what type of practice - clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)
    Word Count300
  4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less)

MD/MBA

MD/MPH

FMAT

MD/PhD (must complete the AMCAS application as the primary application)

MD/JD (must complete the AMCAS application as the primary application)

I am not applying to a dual degree or special program
  5. Are you applying to FMAT?
    Yes
    No
  6. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (300 words or less).
    Word Count300
  7. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
    Yes
    No
  8. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
    Yes
    No

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is responsible for providing primary health care to 108 counties of West Texas. We are interested in hearing about the areas of medicine that interest you.

Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box.

• This page is incomplete.
  1. Areas of interest: 100 words or less each

FMAT
    Practicing in an underserved area
    Rural health
    Medical Research
    Medical Academics
    Primary Care
    Border Health
    Public Health Other (Please describe below)
2. Of the activities listed in your primary application, identify 3 that you consider to be the most meaningful in your pursuit of a medical career and explain why. (300 words or less)

1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)
    Yes
    No
  2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)
    Word Count300
  3. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, what type of practice - clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)
    Word Count300
  4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less)

MD/MBA

MD/MPH

FMAT

MD/PhD (must complete the AMCAS application as the primary application)

MD/JD (must complete the AMCAS application as the primary application)

I am not applying to a dual degree or special program
  5. Are you applying to FMAT?
    Yes
    No
  6. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (300 words or less).
    Word Count300
  7. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
    Yes
    No
  8. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
    Yes
    No
@gyngyn

Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career?

Would I talk about high school on this prompt? Or is high school irrelevant for everything regarding the medical app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career?

Would I talk about high school on this prompt? Or is high school irrelevant for everything regarding the medical app?

I would not discuss high school. For the most part high school was only relevant to the undergrad admissions process, after which everyone essentially started off fresh academically.

Is this the official thread for TTUHSC. My app transmitted 5/23/18 and I just recieved the invite to complete the secondary application!

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted the secondary, way easier than I thought it would be.

How long did it take for you to receive the secondary after transmission? Would it take longer for OOS applicants?

How long did it take for you to receive the secondary after transmission? Would it take longer for OOS applicants?

TMDSAS transmitted my app 5/24 and I received the secondary 5/25. I wouldn't think IS or OOS makes a difference as far as when an applicant receives their secondary. Not OOS so total speculation on my part.

It took 3 days for me. Mine was transmitted the 14th and I received the secondary the 17th

Hey everyone, good luck! I'm a current MS2 (in the middle of dedicated; please give me a reason not to study). If you all have any questions about Tech/Lubbock/curriculum/whatever, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, good luck! I'm a current MS2 (in the middle of dedicated; please give me a reason not to study). If you all have any questions about Tech/Lubbock/curriculum/whatever, feel free to ask!
Thanks for taking a minute to drop by! Just wondering what you think of Lubbock? I've heard it feels like a somewhat smaller city compared to the setting of many other medical schools and wanted to know how that affected your medical training/personal life?

Thanks for taking a minute to drop by! Just wondering what you think of Lubbock? I've heard it feels like a somewhat smaller city compared to the setting of many other medical schools and wanted to know how that affected your medical training/personal life?
It definitely is a smaller city, especially compared to Austin, Dallas, Houston. Honestly though, I didn't miss much; you have a lot of the conveniences of the big cities (decent airport, lots of restaurants, vineyards) without the traffic and sprawl, which suited me. Personal life wise? I guess I got to know my classmates pretty well since I'm pretty far from family or anything.

Training-wise, a benefit of Lubbock is that it's the only level-1 trauma center between Albuquerque and Dallas, so you'll get to see a lot of pretty cool stuff!

Is anyone else trying to submit and getting an error that says something to the effect of "can't get a ticket from Touchnet"? How do I fix that?

Yeah this happened to me even after i tried 3 different browsers and 2 different computers. Emailed about them, will let you know when they get back to me. It happens right after you try to pay the secondary fee.

Yeah this happened to me even after i tried 3 different browsers and 2 different computers. Emailed about them, will let you know when they get back to me. It happens right after you try to pay the secondary fee.
It seems to have fixed itself today. Submitting now!

Hey guys, I was trying to access the secondary app. I logged in but all I see is the Welcome tab which has the HB 1508 agreement and the Status tab, but I don't see the actual secondary app questions anywhere. Am I supposed to sign the agreement first or am I having some kinda technical issue that I should contact the school about?

Hey guys, I was trying to access the secondary app. I logged in but all I see is the Welcome tab which has the HB 1508 agreement and the Status tab, but I don't see the actual secondary app questions anywhere. Am I supposed to sign the agreement first or am I having some kinda technical issue that I should contact the school about?
Do you not have a secondary application tab in between the welcome and status tabs? It might be worth a shot to sign the agreement and see if the secondary app tab will populate for you. I think I signed the agreement first before doing the secondary.

Do you not have a secondary application tab in between the welcome and status tabs? It might be worth a shot to sign the agreement and see if the secondary app tab will populate for you. I think I signed the agreement first before doing the secondary.
No I don't have the tab. I'm kinda worried that if I sign the agreement it may think I'm submitting it or something?

No I don't have the tab. I'm kinda worried that if I sign the agreement it may think I'm submitting it or something?

I wouldn’t think so. There’s a separate submission tab within the “secondary application” tab where it’ll ask you to certify a couple of things. Uploaded a picture of the page with the submission tab for ya.

Attachments

• F56876B6-A6FA-4B39-A1CB-EE2B55E19FDF.png
    F56876B6-A6FA-4B39-A1CB-EE2B55E19FDF.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 133
Jesus, II already? Congrats, man! I guess Texas is super early.

I wouldn’t think so. There’s a separate submission tab within the “secondary application” tab where it’ll ask you to certify a couple of things. Uploaded a picture of the page with the submission tab for ya.
It worked thanks dude!

II today, complete late May :)

Are August 3 and 10 the only options? That's all I can see

Wow I wasn't expecting IIs until July. I guess I'll stop procrastinating with these secondaries. Thanks for the motivation and good luck to y'all with IIs!
I am quite surprised as well. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I did indicate interest in FMAT on my application. Out of curiosity, premed404, did you also apply to FMAT?
II here, secondary complete 6/6

I am quite surprised as well. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I did indicate interest in FMAT on my application. Out of curiosity, premed404, did you also apply to FMAT?
I didn't mark FMAT and I got an II today as well. Thought it was a fluke at first because it came so quick and I'm OOS but I guess it's legit if other people got one too lol

Thanks for offering your advice!I've got a question. Are there many students at your school who have kids? I have two and I'm wondering how the school/Lubbock is for families.

Last edited:

no FMAT

II today as well! OOS, complete mid-May, and did not apply for FMAT. Totally unexpected, but I'm so excited and glad to see others in the same boat :)!

Reactions: 2 users
II today, complete late May :)

Are August 3 and 10 the only options? That's all I can see
When interview invitations start up, the schools will usually either list 1 or 2 dates or just assign you a date. As those early dates fill up, they will open up more. If at all possible, take the dates they offer you, with a smile ;):).
If you have a final exam of a summer course that day or some other major conflict, ask politely for a later date.
Don't plan any nonrefundable vacations or foreign trips during interview season (August to December, & January after Christmas break)

When interview invitations start up, the schools will usually either list 1 or 2 dates or just assign you a date. As those early dates fill up, they will open up more. If at all possible, take the dates they offer you, with a smile ;):).
If you have a final exam of a summer course that day or some other major conflict, ask politely for a later date.
Don't plan any nonrefundable vacations or foreign trips during interview season (August to December, & January after Christmas break)
Oh, I'm definitely not complaining. Those options are good enough for me. Just wanted to see if that was normally how it is. :)

For those that have received IIs, did you have everything submitted already, like the Casper test and your LORs/committee letters?

For those that have received IIs, did you have everything submitted already, like the Casper test and your LORs/committee letters?

letters yes. casper test no, scheduled for july

I took CASPer June 3rd, but I'm assuming they haven't sent it yet. Letters yes.

I don’t think they consider CASPer for interview purposes. Just to matriculate.

For those that have received IIs, do you mind sharing your stats? That's awesome that they're sending invites already and congrats to everyone with one!

I think there were actually a few that were 350, maybe for the FMAT essay. But yes, 300 usually.

I have and II and I have taken my Casper test (but I don't think it has been graded yet) and I don't have all of my letters in yet.

I have and II and I have taken my Casper test (but I don't think it has been graded yet) and I don't have all of my letters in yet.

Wait really? Do you have at least 3 letters in? Still missing my packet and the status next to required letters is still red. Congrats on the II!!!

Received a II here today. Only dates available are in August now

Reactions: 1 users