2018-2019 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is one of the interviews with a med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Is one of the interviews with a med student?

I had one with a faculty member and one with and M4. I think some people have both interviews with faculty members. When you arrive, the names of your interviewers are on your schedule so you’ll be able to tell (if you have a student, there won’t be MD or PhD behind their name)

Reactions: 1 user
I had one with a faculty member and one with and M4. I think some people have both interviews with faculty members. When you arrive, the names of your interviewers are on your schedule so you’ll be able to tell (if you have a student, there won’t be MD or PhD behind their name)

I also had one med student and one faculty. Of all of my interviewers in the cycle, the med student who interviewed me knew my application the best, but it was very conversational and relaxed.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did y'all wear to the night-before meet and greet at Blue Star?

Awesome, thanks for the update. We just booked an Air BnB today for a few days in December to visit Lubbock and look around. Any particular highlights we should try to hit?
go to prairie dog town lol it's just a large open space with lots of prairie dogs. you can bring them vegetables n stuff and it's basically like feeding ducks but way better it's super cute (they might be hiding this time of year tho idk)

hi everyone! im a current MS1 here so if you have any questions feel free to ask! i love the school and im really happy that I ended up here!

Reactions: 1 users
hi everyone! im a current MS1 here so if you have any questions feel free to ask! i love the school and im really happy that I ended up here!

Hi thank you so much for offering to answer any questions!

I was wondering what your daily schedule looks like? I know it depends on the block you are in, but on average what is your typical daily schedule?

Also, what made you pick this school and how has it compared to your expectations so far?

For those who pre-matched, have you received an acceptance letter in the mail yet? Does the school mail an acceptance letter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
About how long after you interview do you hear back from them?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi thank you so much for offering to answer any questions!

I was wondering what your daily schedule looks like? I know it depends on the block you are in, but on average what is your typical daily schedule?

Also, what made you pick this school and how has it compared to your expectations so far?

Hi! Thanks for your questions. Daily schedule after anatomy is four hours of class in the morning for MS1 and then the rest of the day free. Class not mandatory bec you can stream. During anatomy I spent about 20 hours in lab and we had about 10 hours of lecture. Anatomy is the most busy but after that it calms down quite a bit.

The only school I had ranked above tech was southwestern. Tech was my second choice because of the homey vibes and I really got the impression that they would make it a priority to take care of us. And they have. Tests are exactly what they tell us to study and they really try to guide us. Curriculum is very step focused which is awesome.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if any more interview invites are getting sent?

No letter in the mail yet
I'm not sure if they even send a letter in the mail. I prematched all the way in October and they just had the letter on the portal and nothing since.

Hi! Thanks for your questions. Daily schedule after anatomy is four hours of class in the morning for MS1 and then the rest of the day free. Class not mandatory bec you can stream. During anatomy I spent about 20 hours in lab and we had about 10 hours of lecture. Anatomy is the most busy but after that it calms down quite a bit.

The only school I had ranked above tech was southwestern. Tech was my second choice because of the homey vibes and I really got the impression that they would make it a priority to take care of us. And they have. Tests are exactly what they tell us to study and they really try to guide us. Curriculum is very step focused which is awesome.

What are some good places to stay in lubbock for med students?

How long does tech typically take to send out acceptances from the time of interview?

How long does tech typically take to send out acceptances from the time of interview?
Unlike DO schools which often have a quick turnaround after interview, Texas MD schools tend to send out pre-match offers in a few "batches", then Match Day Feb 1, then a trickle of WL offers over the next few months.

Unlike DO schools which often have a quick turnaround after interview, Texas MD schools tend to send out pre-match offers in a few "batches", then Match Day Feb 1, then a trickle of WL offers over the next few months.
Ok, the match process has always confused me. So pretty much I can definitely expect to know the results Feb 1, but before then I may receive a prematch offer (assuming I rank the schools I’ve interviewed at on tmdsas) granting me acceptance to the school?

Ok, the match process has always confused me. So pretty much I can definitely expect to know the results Feb 1, but before then I may receive a prematch offer (assuming I rank the schools I’ve interviewed at on tmdsas) granting me acceptance to the school?
The ranking that you do is for the match process only. Any offers made to you before the match are a courtesy, so schools can let you know a little early that you have a spot.

The ranking that you do is for the match process only. Any offers made to you before the match are a courtesy, so schools can let you know a little early that you have a spot.
First explanation that has made sense to me about this process. I appreciate it !

What are some good places to stay in lubbock for med students?

A lot of students like to stay at the EDGE. which you can park your car on campus in like 2-3 minutes from your apt which is nice. But if you want to live like 6 minutes away, you can pay about the same to live in nicer apartments like the renassiance. I personally live in a house and rent a room. In the spring the fb group will have a spreadsheet of people looking for roommates and you can easily find a house to stay in! I find it can be quieter to live in house and i generally like it better than apartment living!

A lot of students like to stay at the EDGE. which you can park your car on campus in like 2-3 minutes from your apt which is nice. But if you want to live like 6 minutes away, you can pay about the same to live in nicer apartments like the renassiance. I personally live in a house and rent a room. In the spring the fb group will have a spreadsheet of people looking for roommates and you can easily find a house to stay in! I find it can be quieter to live in house and i generally like it better than apartment living!

I was reading reviews on the EDGE. The location is great, but some people wrote that their cars were being broken into. Is this an issue in the areas around the med center?

I was reading reviews on the EDGE. The location is great, but some people wrote that their cars were being broken into. Is this an issue in the areas around the med center?

well it's an issue in lubbock in general. That's why i reccomend living in a fairly safe neigborhood instead of apt complex.
lubbock can be a little unsafe, not going to lie. students are afraid to walk outside to their car in the parking lot by the school at night. I usually try to go in a group. this is the reality and im just being blunt. you gotta watch your back around here. Trying to get the school to pay for more security around the parking lots at night but apparantly they aren't taking it seriously.

Do you know approximately how much a two-bedroom apartment is at Renaissance ?

Has anyone heard about scholarship information yet?

I got an email about a scholarship offer last week

Thanks and congratulations, I prematched on the 15th and I'm hoping that'll put me in a good place for a possible scholarship. Just have to wait and see!

Is there any information available for the school of medicine's "dean's scholarship"?

Did you already have your FAFSA filled out? Can anyone else who got a scholarship weigh in as well

No. I emailed their financial aid office asking when FAFSA forms would be processed, and they said they won't be until March or April of 2019.

Just a general question - why don't some schools release financial aid packages until after a decision has to be made? For most I would assume that would be an important factor in deciding a school...

Any OOS acceptance recently? I interviewed on Nov 9 and have not heard anything since. Had a few OOS friends that did not hear anything until their acceptance in May 2018.

Any OOS acceptance recently? I interviewed on Nov 9 and have not heard anything since. Had a few OOS friends that did not hear anything until their acceptance in May 2018.

I’m in the same boat as you. OOS interviewed Nov 9 and have yet to hear. I am very curious about this

I’m in the same boat as you. OOS interviewed Nov 9 and have yet to hear. I am very curious about this
Do you know if IS applicants who interviewed on the same date have heard back yet? Maybe it’s not strictly OOS applicants who haven’t heard back yet.

IS interviewed on Nov 9 and still have not heard back yet...

IS interviewed on Nov 9 and still have not heard back yet...
IS interviewed on November 16 (MD/MBA) and still haven't heard back yet...

I understand MD/MBA applicants should hear back by January 10 and I'm concerned that I haven't heard back yet
Hoping for a Christmas miracle here haha

IS interviewed on November 16 (MD/MBA) and still haven't heard back yet...

I understand MD/MBA applicants should hear back by January 10 and I'm concerned that I haven't heard back yet
Hoping for a Christmas miracle here haha
Is this case the same for other dual degree applicants? To hear back by January 10?