2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else here interview on 11/1?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been able to log into DODMERBS for the 12/06 interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a head's up there's usually a significant delay between when you get the e-mail to begin creating your DODMERB account and when you actually get access. As long as you've called and forwarded the required information, just wait until you get a second email saying you now have access to DODMERB. For me, it took about two weeks after I called and gave my social to gain access

Unconditional offer received in the mail today!

Reactions: 9 users
Is it okay if we are interviewing Thursday and don't have our DoDMERB physical date set yet?

Edit: sorry if it's redundant, I just want to make sure my paperwork is done.

Is it okay if we are interviewing Thursday and don't have our DoDMERB physical date set yet?

Edit: sorry if it's redundant, I just want to make sure my paperwork is done.

I was wondering the same thing. I interview Thursday as well and have been unable to log into dodmets. I was going to call tomorrow and ask what should be done!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
SOS Interviewing here tomorrow - what is the parking situation there? I did not email them for a pass but can I still park in the medical center campus?

SOS Interviewing here tomorrow - what is the parking situation there? I did not email them for a pass but can I still park in the medical center campus?
Parking is patients only and it’s a decent walk from the school. I’d try to metro if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are instructions on how to take the metro on the interview web page. Also talks about the shuttle from the metro to campus.

For women who interviewed and not in a uniform: what style of shoes did you wear? I am not from the East Coast and will be doing some shopping this weekend to get warmer clothes and also want to make sure I am getting shoes that are formal, yet comfortable for walking. It sounds like there is a lot of walking during this interview.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
For women who are interviewed and not in a uniform: what style of shoes did you wear? I am not from the East Coast and will be doing some shopping this weekend to get warmer clothes and also want to make sure I am getting shoes that are formal, yet comfortable for walking. It sounds like there is a lot of walking during this interview.
I wore simple, black flats. It was snowing while I was there, so I guess a little chilly when we had to be outside, but you have to suck it up sometimes lol. I didn't think there was a lot of walking, pretty average from other interviews I've been to. Honestly, I doubt the interviewers even look at your shoes, and even if they did, I can't imagine it having an effect on their decision, unless you wore ridiculous shoes. Just wear something professional and simple.

Reactions: 1 users
For women who are interviewed and not in a uniform: what style of shoes did you wear? I am not from the East Coast and will be doing some shopping this weekend to get warmer clothes and also want to make sure I am getting shoes that are formal, yet comfortable for walking. It sounds like there is a lot of walking during this interview.
I wore heels because it was what I was used to. If you’re not really a daily heel person/not used to wearing heels, just wear flats or whatever you’re comfortable with. They really would not care either way. Also it might snow and you do have a walk a bit so keep that in mind. If you haven’t bought shoes yet looks for flats with a little bit of a platform or an Oxford-type shoe just so you won’t get your feet wet while walking in the snow.

I wore simple, black flats. It was snowing while I was there, so I guess a little chilly when we had to be outside, but you have to suck it up sometimes lol. I didn't think there was a lot of walking, pretty average from other interviews I've been to. Honestly, I doubt the interviewers even look at your shoes, and even if they did, I can't imagine it having an effect on their decision, unless you wore ridiculous shoes. Just wear something professional and simple.

That is a good point!

I wore heels because it was what I was used to. If you’re not really a daily heel person/not used to wearing heels, just wear flats or whatever you’re comfortable with. They really would not care either way. Also it might snow and you do have a walk a bit so keep that in mind. If you haven’t bought shoes yet looks for flats with a little bit of a platform or an Oxford-type shoe just so you won’t get your feet wet while walking in the snow.

Not a daily heel person, although I do like wearing heels for formal events. Thank you for the advice on looking for a bit of a platform to keep my feet dry if there is snow. Snow is a completely foreign concept to me!

For women who interviewed and not in a uniform: what style of shoes did you wear? I am not from the East Coast and will be doing some shopping this weekend to get warmer clothes and also want to make sure I am getting shoes that are formal, yet comfortable for walking. It sounds like there is a lot of walking during this interview.

Edit: typo

I’m also not from the East coast and I second the suggestion for Oxfords - they are mostly waterproof if leather/faux leather and go well with dress pants. I wore them to the interview and they served me well for the amount of walking we had to do. Some online stores also sell flats that are styled like Oxfords.

How long does it take from the time you submit your base access form to actually getting clearance and how will you know if you have it? Will you receive a email notification? The interview email also says to check AMRDEC to check on the status but that site is still down

How long does it take from the time you submit your base access form to actually getting clearance and how will you know if you have it? Will you receive a email notification? The interview email also says to check AMRDEC to check on the status but that site is still down
I got an email saying I had base access one week before my interview. There was originally an issue with the first base access form I submitted and I was notified about three weeks prior with plenty of time to resubmit.

I sent my form in three weeks before the interview and was able to see from AMRDEC that the form was downloaded soon after. However I received an email only four days before my interview. I’ve heard other people got the notification pretty late too.

Hello USUHS SDN forum friends - I just received an II here and am fumbling trying to complete the base access documents. If anyone is available/ willing to help me understand these acronyms and forms please PM me!

Hello USUHS SDN forum friends - I just received an II here and am fumbling trying to complete the base access documents. If anyone is available/ willing to help me understand these acronyms and forms please PM me!
Hey, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn’t let me. If you send me one I’ll try to help you. I also have no prior military experience but I was able to get all my forms completed.

Hey, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn’t let me. If you send me one I’ll try to help you. I also have no prior military experience but I was able to get all my forms completed.
Thanks! I changed some of my privacy settings could you try again? I tried messaging you and couldn't as well!

Alright y'all, mind if I join in the conversation? Just got my first II and it's to USUHS (after being Pre-II Hold for about 7 days). Super stoked for the interview :), though it is quite late into the cycle :/

Alright y'all, mind if I join in the conversation? Just got my first II and it's to USUHS (after being Pre-II Hold for about 7 days). Super stoked for the interview :), though it is quite late into the cycle :/
I interviewed on 11/8 and one of the very first things Dr. Saguil mentioned was that approximately 1 out of 2 students who interview get accepted. This is because USUHS doesn't interview nearly as many students as other schools due to how their budget works and how it is funded. So don't sweat the date, getting an interview at USUHS is itself a big hurdle and the interview date itself is not as important. Now just present yourself and make sure to get a good understanding about the school, military med, and most importantly your reasons for wanting to come to the school and be a military physician vs doing HPSP

I interviewed on 11/8 and one of the very first things Dr. Saguil mentioned was that approximately 1 out of 2 students who interview get accepted. This is because USUHS doesn't interview nearly as many students as other schools due to how their budget works and how it is funded. So don't sweat the date, getting an interview at USUHS is itself a big hurdle and the interview date itself is not as important. Now just present yourself and make sure to get a good understanding about the school, military med, and most importantly your reasons for wanting to come to the school and be a military physician vs doing HPSP

Just FYI, once the class is filled, that ratio changes. USUHS can’t accept more students than their class size, so many people who get “accepted” get put on the priority waitlist while only the top candidates get straight out accepted.

That said, because of that system, typically almost everyone or everyone on the priority waitlist ends up converting to a full acceptance at some point. I’m only bringing this up to point out that if you interview now and get a priority waitlist spot, it doesn’t mean you were one of the 50% who didn’t get accepted. It just means the class is full and you need to wait for a slot to open up.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when second look is? I saw April 12 bouncing around the thread but can anyone confirm this?

Yeah tbh I’m trying not to get my hopes up. I understand that my chances are much higher now but I could still get flat out denied. Ive been doing research on the different branches, why serve, why serve as a doctor, usuhs. Heck ive even looked into the whole walter reed army into combined tri-service conversion thing.

From the interview feedback forum though, it seems like the school admin os pretty laid back, as is the interview itself. So im less worried than I would be otherwise. Like at *cough* georgetown *cough*..

Yeah tbh I’m trying not to get my hopes up. I understand that my chances are much higher now but I could still get flat out denied. Ive been doing research on the different branches, why serve, why serve as a doctor, usuhs. Heck ive even looked into the whole walter reed army into combined tri-service conversion thing.

From the interview feedback forum though, it seems like the school admin os pretty laid back, as is the interview itself. So im less worried than I would be otherwise. Like at *cough* georgetown *cough*..

Oh yeah you should definitely be relaxed. The interview day is very stress free.

oh my goodness do not be worried at all. The interview was like hanging out with a friend you havent seen in ages. USUHS does such a good job of making everyone feel welcome!

It has not been even two weeks yet since my interview and I am already dying of anticipation!

Reactions: 4 users
It has not been even two weeks yet since my interview and I am already dying of anticipation!
I feel the same exact way. Ive been checking this forum multiple times a day waiting for people to post their acceptances or denials form the 11/1 interview!

Last edited:
Hello all! New user here. Has anyone heard back (either II or rejection) from the dreaded "hold" email that was sent out? Would now (being mid-December) be a good time to send in an update letter to the school?

Hello all! New user here. Has anyone heard back (either II or rejection) from the dreaded "hold" email that was sent out? Would now (being mid-December) be a good time to send in an update letter to the school?

Which Hold email? The one sent on 11/30?

Which Hold email? The one sent on 11/30?

It is the "... We are pleased to report that your application has been reviewed, and that the Admissions Committee is favorably disposed to you through the information that you have provided us. The Committee would like to see more of the applying class before making a final decision on whether to offer you an Interview, this enables us to see more of the applying pool and the experiences and attributes they have to offer...." email (post-secondary application submission).

I received it on 10/16.

Oh. I received mine on 11/30 and my II on 12/7 was hella surprised, since the email says they review monthly usually

Currently going through the Medical Waiver process for my shoulder and flat feet, ,Jennifer Wilsnack said it shouldn't be an issue to get the waivers. Is anyone else having to get Medical waivers or know if there's any correlation between being cleared medically and getting accepted? By that I just mean timeline wise and hearing back from the school

Last edited:
I also received an II after receiving this notification

Currently going through the Medical Waiver process for my shoulder and flat feet, ,Jennifer Wilsnack said it shouldn't be an issue to get the waivers. Is anyone else having to get Medical waivers or know if there's any correlation between being cleared medically and getting accepted? By that I just mean timeline wise and hearing back from the school
I think they’re independent. I was accepted a month before I was cleared.

They are not entirely independent. You will receive a "Conditional Acceptance" that is your initial acceptance into USUHS. When you receive this letter, there will be a stipulation that you are required to receive approval from the DoDMERB process and security clearance for your SF86 (Secret clearance that all Officers are required to have). Once approved for both of these additional requirements, you will receive an "Unconditional Acceptance" meaning you are officially accepted. You will not receive an "Unconditional" until you get approval for both.

Hope this helps and good luck!

They are not entirely independent. You will receive a "Conditional Acceptance" that is your initial acceptance into USUHS. When you receive this letter, there will be a stipulation that you are required to receive approval from the DoDMERB process and security clearance for your SF86 (Secret clearance that all Officers are required to have). Once approved for both of these additional requirements, you will receive an "Unconditional Acceptance" meaning you are officially accepted. You will not receive an "Unconditional" until you get approval for both.

Hope this helps and good luck!

100%, I had meant that initial acceptance, my mistake!

I've been on hold since 10/16 and have not heard anything.

I received a letter placing me as an alternate. I read the guidelines however this is still confusing. I'm also waiting for a waiver on a preexisting heart condition. Ive never seen anyone on this forum placed as an alternate. Please help!!