Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. darwinsfinchbird

Can you send me a link to what you’re talking about? I haven’t heard anything about this yet

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Top of the military medicine forum. Hard to know what it means but the billet reductions, if they happen, will land right when you enter GME.

darwinsfinchbird likes this.
  3. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Class of 2023!
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Good to keep in mind when making a decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #703 Matthew9Thirtyfive, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. Mochilazo

Do you think these cuts will be Navy specific? Or will it spill over to other branches?

5. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It’s DOD-wide but you’re seeing the Navy plan because of who is on the message board.

6. coys784

Pre-Medical
    I'm not sure if this was asked earlier, but when filling out the ranking sheet should we write personal comments?

7. True Believer

True Believer Take my Lasix with a grain of salt
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No

8. Svk1

Are we able to take our suitcases on interview day?

9. Belljarofbees

Yes, they let you know that there is a place in the Admissions office to leave bags and coats behind while you go on the tour, etc. Just be sure to keep your ID and interview papers on your person of course.

Svk1 and RockPaperScissorShoot like this.
  10. EasyEveryoneWouldDoIt

anybody else interviewing this Thursday?

bluebird1996 and MadDoc21 like this.
  11. drbaagh

drbaagh Dr.Baagh

Accepted 11/21, interviewed 10/18. Go Navy beat Army!!

12. snowcrawler85

snowcrawler85 Accepted! Class of 2023

R this morning, pre-II complete mid Sept. it was a long shot, my stats were below average, but best of luck to you all!

13. CuFeLi123

Has anyone else had any trouble sending the security clearance since SAFE appears to be down?

14. MillertimeUSNA

Pre-Medical
    I got this from their security team:

"Please use ADOBE to protect, encrypt the document. You can also use any encryption software you prefer. If all else fails please just bring a copy of your forms, passport of birth certificate on interview day. Thank you "

Also for everyone's SA, there is a delay in applicants being uploaded to DoDMERB so if you are like myself and have yet to be able to login don't sweat it.

#714 MillertimeUSNA, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    CuFeLi123 likes this.
  15. jcrane92

Pre-Medical
    Originally was scheduled to interview this Thursday but the Camp Fire happened and my community has been wrecked for weeks. Rescheduled to January 10th. Good luck!

MillertimeUSNA likes this.
  16. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    II for Dec 13th. So pumped!

daw05, Msimas and lumya like this.
  17. souless_POS

Pre-Medical
    Am I pretty much down for the count if I was put on pre-interview hold and have not heard anything by now?

adventurousapollo likes this.
  18. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don’t think so. The last interview day on the schedule is Jan 10th. This invite for me seems really last minute, so I wouldn’t give up hope here until after Christmas.

19. scienceisfun

This is good to hear because I too was put on an interview hold Oct 16th and still haven't heard anything. The hold email said interviews go through February, but their website says the last interview is January 10th. Does anyone know if they they have additional dates for people to interview for the waitlist?

20. AFMKM94

Did anyone else here interview on 11/1?

21. peanutbuttercup24

Accepted MD/PhD today. Interviewed 10/18

AirForceNaz, daw05, NakMuay33 and 5 others like this.
  22. CuFeLi123

Has anyone been able to log into DODMERBS for the 12/06 interview date?

23. MillertimeUSNA

Pre-Medical
    I have not been able to.

CuFeLi123 likes this.
  24. chocolatebear94

Just a head's up there's usually a significant delay between when you get the e-mail to begin creating your DODMERB account and when you actually get access. As long as you've called and forwarded the required information, just wait until you get a second email saying you now have access to DODMERB. For me, it took about two weeks after I called and gave my social to gain access

25. AirForceNaz

Pre-Medical
    I called a couple days ago and they said there’s a problem on their end and it won’t reflect poorly on us at all and to just keep trying :)

26. Gator2010

Unconditional offer received in the mail today!

27. AFMKM94

Congrats! When did you interview? What branch?

BillEvans likes this.
  28. coys784

Pre-Medical
    Is it okay if we are interviewing Thursday and don't have our DoDMERB physical date set yet?

Edit: sorry if it's redundant, I just want to make sure my paperwork is done.

29. aubmed

I was wondering the same thing. I interview Thursday as well and have been unable to log into dodmets. I was going to call tomorrow and ask what should be done!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

coys784 likes this.
  30. Gator2010

I interviewed Sep 13 and received the conditional acceptance call on Oct 15. I was selected Navy.

AFMKM94 and chocolatebear94 like this.
  31. bluebird1996

SOS Interviewing here tomorrow - what is the parking situation there? I did not email them for a pass but can I still park in the medical center campus?

32. Msimas

Parking is patients only and it’s a decent walk from the school. I’d try to metro if I were you.

33. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There are instructions on how to take the metro on the interview web page. Also talks about the shuttle from the metro to campus.

34. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For women who interviewed and not in a uniform: what style of shoes did you wear? I am not from the East Coast and will be doing some shopping this weekend to get warmer clothes and also want to make sure I am getting shoes that are formal, yet comfortable for walking. It sounds like there is a lot of walking during this interview.

Edit: typo

#734 NakMuay33, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  35. d72s466

I wore simple, black flats. It was snowing while I was there, so I guess a little chilly when we had to be outside, but you have to suck it up sometimes lol. I didn't think there was a lot of walking, pretty average from other interviews I've been to. Honestly, I doubt the interviewers even look at your shoes, and even if they did, I can't imagine it having an effect on their decision, unless you wore ridiculous shoes. Just wear something professional and simple.

darwinsfinchbird and NakMuay33 like this.
  36. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I wore heels because it was what I was used to. If you’re not really a daily heel person/not used to wearing heels, just wear flats or whatever you’re comfortable with. They really would not care either way. Also it might snow and you do have a walk a bit so keep that in mind. If you haven’t bought shoes yet looks for flats with a little bit of a platform or an Oxford-type shoe just so you won’t get your feet wet while walking in the snow.

NakMuay33 likes this.
  37. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is a good point!

Not a daily heel person, although I do like wearing heels for formal events. Thank you for the advice on looking for a bit of a platform to keep my feet dry if there is snow. Snow is a completely foreign concept to me!

38. Belljarofbees

I’m also not from the East coast and I second the suggestion for Oxfords - they are mostly waterproof if leather/faux leather and go well with dress pants. I wore them to the interview and they served me well for the amount of walking we had to do. Some online stores also sell flats that are styled like Oxfords.

39. fmk

fmk

How long does it take from the time you submit your base access form to actually getting clearance and how will you know if you have it? Will you receive a email notification? The interview email also says to check AMRDEC to check on the status but that site is still down

40. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I got an email saying I had base access one week before my interview. There was originally an issue with the first base access form I submitted and I was notified about three weeks prior with plenty of time to resubmit.

41. Belljarofbees

I sent my form in three weeks before the interview and was able to see from AMRDEC that the form was downloaded soon after. However I received an email only four days before my interview. I’ve heard other people got the notification pretty late too.

42. throwitallaway

Hello USUHS SDN forum friends - I just received an II here and am fumbling trying to complete the base access documents. If anyone is available/ willing to help me understand these acronyms and forms please PM me!

43. lumya

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn’t let me. If you send me one I’ll try to help you. I also have no prior military experience but I was able to get all my forms completed.

throwitallaway likes this.
  44. throwitallaway

Thanks! I changed some of my privacy settings could you try again? I tried messaging you and couldn't as well!

45. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I’m still not able to message you but I can answer questions you might have here.

46. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Alright y'all, mind if I join in the conversation? Just got my first II and it's to USUHS (after being Pre-II Hold for about 7 days). Super stoked for the interview :), though it is quite late into the cycle :/

47. chocolatebear94

I interviewed on 11/8 and one of the very first things Dr. Saguil mentioned was that approximately 1 out of 2 students who interview get accepted. This is because USUHS doesn't interview nearly as many students as other schools due to how their budget works and how it is funded. So don't sweat the date, getting an interview at USUHS is itself a big hurdle and the interview date itself is not as important. Now just present yourself and make sure to get a good understanding about the school, military med, and most importantly your reasons for wanting to come to the school and be a military physician vs doing HPSP

Vladimir7 and svantovid like this.
  48. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Just FYI, once the class is filled, that ratio changes. USUHS can’t accept more students than their class size, so many people who get “accepted” get put on the priority waitlist while only the top candidates get straight out accepted.

That said, because of that system, typically almost everyone or everyone on the priority waitlist ends up converting to a full acceptance at some point. I’m only bringing this up to point out that if you interview now and get a priority waitlist spot, it doesn’t mean you were one of the 50% who didn’t get accepted. It just means the class is full and you need to wait for a slot to open up.

49. Mochilazo

Does anyone know when second look is? I saw April 12 bouncing around the thread but can anyone confirm this?

50. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Can confirm. April 12.