2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I’ve been checking the Carver threads from previous cycles, and it seems that the final pool is formed mid-January and acceptances are primarily released on Tuesdays. With that said, there are 3 more Tuesday’s between now and mid-January, and seeing as the first Tuesday of 2019 is New Year’s Day, it doesn’t seem like the committee will be releasing any news on that date. As such, the remaining dates for rolling admission acceptances are the 8th and 15th. If things are backed up, maybe the 22nd or a non-Tuesday notification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
II today, OOS, complete in mid-Sept.! So excited, my first II of the cycle!!!

Does anyone have stats for number of OOS students they interview and how many of those are accepted? I know they interview a lot of the IS applicants and IS students are most of their class, but does anyone have an idea of how post-interview acceptance rates for OOS students compare? Trying to have realistic hopes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have stats for number of OOS students they interview and how many of those are accepted? I know they interview a lot of the IS applicants and IS students are most of their class, but does anyone have an idea of how post-interview acceptance rates for OOS students compare? Trying to have realistic hopes!

Per MSAR, last year, they had 3463 applications, interviewed 419, and matriculated 53. At my interview, I was told they reserve about 50 for OOS and the remaining 100 seats are for IS. The director said they will hand out about 300 acceptances from the 300-400 IS interviews and around 150 from the OOS interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Per MSAR, last year, they had 3463 applications, interviewed 419, and matriculated 53. At my interview, I was told they reserve about 50 for OOS and the remaining 100 seats are for IS. The director said they will hand out about 300 acceptances from the 300-400 IS interviews and around 150 from the OOS interviews.

They hand out 300 in state acceptances from 300-400 in state interviews? Am I reading this right? Can anyone else confirm? That seems like quite a lot of IS students accepted that instead choose to go else where.

Depends if you are IS or OOS. You will certainly be final pooled. But this is not a bad thing other than having to wait until March. Admissions informed me that 65 of the 100 IS students will be accepted prior final pool. Then, the remaining 35 will be accepted in March from final pool. Additionally, many of the initial 65 and latter 35 will rescind their acceptances, so there is even more wiggle room. I am not totally sure how the OOS system works. Hope this helps!
Awesome thank you! Im actually in state so Id probably be put in that pool. Hoping for the best

What is the order of events on interview day? I know it was listed on the page where a date is selected, but now I can't see it. Also, did the 25 min interview feel really rushed? It seems so short!

What is the order of events on interview day? I know it was listed on the page where a date is selected, but now I can't see it. Also, did the 25 min interview feel really rushed? It seems so short!
Day starts with mostly talk about financial aid. Then you have lunch and go on a tour. After that you either have a CBL session or you have your interview. If you had your interview first, you'll do CBL after it, and vice versa.

I didn't think the interview felt rushed, I
felt like I had time to say everything I wanted to say. But it does fly by haha.

For the academic update section, should we update them on grades for Fall 2018 or wait until we graduate in the spring? My grades this semester won't affect my GPA, but I don't know if I should just add them anyway

Interview invite yesterday! Complete in September. OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Current student at Carver! Currently on break so I have some time to answer questions :) PM me any questions you have.

I am an out of state student and have absolutely loved Carver so far!

Holy smokes, is it true that Iowa only interviews into January??

Is this a school that will silent reject me? Submitted in August and still Pending.

Is this a school that will silent reject me? Submitted in August and still Pending.

A silent rejection is very unlikely, Iowa is known for not sending any denial emails until mid to late January (I believe the date last year was 1/22/18). At this point if you have not had an interview or received an invite it is likely that you are in a group that will receive a rejection email in a few weeks.

A silent rejection is very unlikely, Iowa is known for not sending any denial emails until mid to late January (I believe the date last year was 1/22/18). At this point if you have not had an interview or received an invite it is likely that you are in a group that will receive a rejection email in a few weeks.
Alright, something to look forward to! In all seriousness though thanks for answering

Hello, does anyone know about how long it takes to hear after your interview?

Hello, does anyone know about how long it takes to hear after your interview?
At my interview day in October they said that 6 weeks was the earliest we could hear back. Since it is not chronological, it really could be anytime..

Reactions: 2 users
At my interview day in October they said that 6 weeks was the earliest we could hear back. Since it is not chronological, it really could be anytime..

I think you interviewed like 2 weeks before me. Tomorrow has to be it!! I believe it just has to be..lol:nod: I can't imagine an even longer wait.

Are there any current students on here that can talk about the school? Things that stand out to you. What you love about the school and unique opportunities.

I think you interviewed like 2 weeks before me. Tomorrow has to be it!! I believe it just has to be..lol:nod: I can't imagine an even longer wait.
Crossing my fingers for all of us that it’s a happy Tuesday :)

Reactions: 3 users
Im checking every 2 seconds, when do people usually get the notifications?

Im checking every 2 seconds, when do people usually get the notifications?
From what I’ve gathered through following this thread, it seems as though people find out via email anywhere from 1-4 pm.

I interviewed on 10/19. I actually seem to remember them saying we would hear about acceptances within six weeks, but I called admissions and they said six weeks was the earliest we'd hear. That date has come and gone, so I'm now trying to figure out how their final pool/acceptance system works in January. Kinda confused, but I've become very comfortable with the "sit and wait" process. Maybe today will bring good news for some folks!

Wishing the best of luck to everyone, hopefully some will be accepted today!

So since they don’t review applicants chronologically you could hear back today whether you interviewed in October or December, and if your application isn’t reviewed over rolling admissions or they don’t chose to accept you you will be placed in the final pool. If you’re placed in the final pool you won’t hear anything until the final pool announcement date, which is usually late January - although at my interview date they said they were behind. After the applicants in the final pool are announced no one will hear anything until the date that they announce everything (acceptances, waitlists, rejections) which last year was in the middle of March.

I was in the final pool last year, so I got pretty familiar with the system. Hopefully this helps or at least calms some nerves. Again, best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
everybody seems to be waiting for decisions, I interviewed Nov 19, is there a chance I am included in this round?

So I’ve been checking the Carver threads from previous cycles, and it seems that the final pool is formed mid-January and acceptances are primarily released on Tuesdays. With that said, there are 3 more Tuesday’s between now and mid-January, and seeing as the first Tuesday of 2019 is New Year’s Day, it doesn’t seem like the committee will be releasing any news on that date. As such, the remaining dates for rolling admission acceptances are the 8th and 15th. If things are backed up, maybe the 22nd or a non-Tuesday notification.
I think the "if" at the end of this post says it all. We really have no idea if they are on schedule, and whether they will release acceptances today or next week. But, let's hope! I am pushing 12 weeks post interview, so I'm definitely eager to know either way.

I think the "if" at the end of this post says it all. We really have no idea if they are on schedule, and whether they will release acceptances today or next week. But, let's hope! I am pushing 12 weeks post interview, so I'm definitely eager to know either way.

Nothing so far. I agree, it’s all a big if. That’s not going to stop me from checking my email and portal though hehe but I hoping the best for all of us

Accepted here today! Email indicated a decision was made and had to log into the portal - greeted with a welcome to Class of 2023 Iowa Carver video! Interviewed in October.

Reactions: 6 users
Also accepted here today! Interviewed 10/19. OOS

Also accepted here today! Interviewed 10/19. OOS
Gah!! That was my interview day! If they did things chronologically then I could expect news but I may not hear til March or later. Congratulations!

For people who interviewed, Did the interview offer come directly in an email or did you receive a status change email requesting you log into the secondary application portal? (Asking for significant other who is currently abroad without cellular service and I do not know his login!)
Apparently those accepted are getting emails letting them know a change was made to their portal. Then again, I found out I got an II back in Sep. by randomly checking my portal. The actual email II came three days later, so who knows!

Ah until next Tuesday my friends...the wait continues!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! How did your interview go? I have the same LizzyM which is below their average. I am curious what made you stand out as I am a tad worried about my stats.

Same for me! I think my interview went well, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Is it okay for us to bring our suitcase to the admissions office and ask them to hold it for us while we're at the interview? Also do we go outside for an extended time during the interview day? The FAQ page says to bring boots during Jan, but i was going to shuttle/uber to/from the interview and if we only going to be outside for like 5 min then I'd rather not have to go out and buy boots. I only have a skirt suit with low heels plus a winter coat.

Is it okay for us to bring our suitcase to the admissions office and ask them to hold it for us while we're at the interview? Also do we go outside for an extended time during the interview day? The FAQ page says to bring boots during Jan, but i was going to shuttle/uber to/from the interview and if we only going to be outside for like 5 min then I'd rather not have to go out and buy boots. I only have a skirt suit with low heels plus a winter coat.
Yes, they will hold luggage for you. There is even a locker room downstairs where I was able to change out of my suit before heading off to the airport! :happy: We did walk outside a fair amount, but that was in October. There are several options to tour different hospitals via indoor corridors. I'd say any sturdy footwear should be fine.

I interviewed here and we did not go outdoors. The weather was chilly so we took the indoor hallways!