2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any IS applicants remember how many in state applicants are accepted in the fall before the final pool in January? I cant remember from my interview if they accept 33-ish students in the fall and then accept the remaining 66-ish students from the final pool in January-March. Or if they accept 66ish students in the fall and then accept the remaining 33-ish students from the final pool in Janurary- March. Any clarification is greatly appreciated!
If i remember correctly they accept about 65 in the fall and then accept the rest of the IS from the final pool

Members don't see this ad.

Similarly, does anyone know how many OOS applicants they accept before the finals pool? Thanks so much in advance!!! And congrats to those who have already interviewed/received acceptances!!! I love this thread

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm a little late to this party, but I got accepted here as well! I interviewed 9/14, and I'm an OOS applicant. Received my acceptance 10/15 :)

Reactions: 2 users
Similarly, does anyone know how many OOS applicants they accept before the finals pool? Thanks so much in advance!!! And congrats to those who have already interviewed/received acceptances!!! I love this thread

So I'm not sure how many are accepted on rolling admissions (before the final pool), but the whole class has like 46-48 OOS students. There are like 102 spots for in-state, 48 or something for out of state, and 8 reserved for MSTP. Usually around 65 in-state are accepted during rolling admissions.

So I guess that doesn't answer your question about how many prior to the final pool, but hopefully it gives you some perspective!

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm not sure how many are accepted on rolling admissions (before the final pool), but the whole class has like 46-48 OOS students. There are like 102 spots for in-state, 48 or something for out of state, and 8 reserved for MSTP. Usually around 65 in-state are accepted during rolling admissions.

So I guess that doesn't answer your question about how many prior to the final pool, but hopefully it gives you some perspective!
Awesome, thanks for the info!:)

Question about final pool - if someone's application is reviewed and deferred to the final pool, are they notified of that decision?

On my interview day they made it sound like you'll be informed whether you're admitted or sent to the final pool (in the fall) but it doesn't look like anyone has posted any notification of deferral from the school on this thread. If I haven't heard anything and my interview was 10/1, is it safe to assume I might have been deferred to the final pool? Or would they have formally told me that?
Last year final pool announcements went out in mid-January. I think you could still get an acceptance before then, since Carver doesn't view applicants in chronological order.

Last year final pool announcements went out in mid-January. I think you could still get an acceptance before then, since Carver doesn't view applicants in chronological order.

I'm under the same assumption. In state students can be accepted through the "rolling" process in the fall any time between their interview date and mid January. They accept approximately 65 IS students through this process. Mid-January those that interviewed but weren't accepted are placed into a final pool where their application is reviewed a second time and in early to mid-march they receive a decision. Approximately 35 IS students are accepted from the final pool, others are denied or placed on the wait list.

From my understanding every student that interviews and is not accepted in the fall is automatically placed in the final pool so the earliest that an applicant that interviewed could be denied would be March 2019. Also Iowa does not send out "decline" emails to those that did not receive an interview invite until mid-January.

Still no II, was complete early August, OOS, reapplicant, strong ties to IA. Assuming it's because of my stats (LM63). Have nearly 4,000 hours of clinical experience in a hospital, clinical volunteering, and shadowing combined. I have been very productive with my research too over the past four years. Really really hoping for this school! Anyone else still without an II this "late"?

Still no II, was complete early August, OOS, reapplicant, strong ties to IA. Assuming it's because of my stats (LM63). Have nearly 4,000 hours of clinical experience in a hospital, clinical volunteering, and shadowing combined. I have been very productive with my research too over the past four years. Really really hoping for this school! Anyone else still without an II this "late"?
+1 Complete late August. Average stats. Strong research and clinical experiences. Hoping to hear back soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
+2 complete late July and complete silence

Accepted today, IS. Interviewed 9/19. So happy to be staying in the great state of Iowa!

Reactions: 8 users
I was also complete around this time, have similar stats, and also OOS and just received an interview invite this afternoon.

Accepted 11/27!! Interviewed 11/1 OOS :D honestly loved my interview day here

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted 11/27!! Interviewed 11/1 OOS :D honestly loved my interview day here
Congratulations! I agree, the interview day there is outstanding. Did you get your acceptance as an email, call, or portal update?

Congratulations! I agree, the interview day there is outstanding. Did you get your acceptance as an email, call, or portal update?
Thanks! It was a portal update that was sent to my email. I didn't know my status till I actually logged into the portal though!

Thanks! It was a portal update that was sent to my email. I didn't know my status till I actually logged into the portal though!
I check my portal compulsively because my interview invitation showed up in my portal three days before the actual email came through. Wondering if an application decision might do the same!

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how many days a week does CCOM interview? And roughly how many applicants per interview day?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how many days a week does CCOM interview? And roughly how many applicants per interview day?
When I chose my date there were availabilities Mon Wed Friday. No clue how many interview a day though. The dates seemed to be opened bc I could have interviewed the day after I found out (but hopping on a plane all the way to Iowa in less than 24hours was not my goal)

Has anyone sent an LOI here after your interview? Did you send it to their email because on the Application Update tab it says do not submit LOIs.

Has anyone sent an LOI here after your interview? Did you send it to their email because on the Application Update tab it says do not submit LOIs.
They were very clear during our interview day that despite our urge to send a thank you letter or letter of interest that we should not send them. You are allowed three academic updates via the portal and that seems to be about it.

They were very clear during our interview day that despite our urge to send a thank you letter or letter of interest that we should not send them. You are allowed three academic updates via the portal and that seems to be about it.
Alrighty, thank you!

what time does the interview day usually end? trying to plan flights :)
So Monday or Wednesday the day concludes at 4:30, but the actual interviews themselves are in the afternoon, so some people get done a bit earlier. I know on Friday the day starts and concludes earlier, but it should say on the portal the expected conclusion time for your date!

Has anyone who interviewed on the CRISP date heard back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Omg you and I are twins, whoever you are, because I was literally about to ask the same thing! :) I’m OOS, interviewed on the CRISP day as well. Haven’t heard back yet! I’ll be crossing my fingers for us!

Omg you and I are twins, whoever you are, because I was literally about to ask the same thing! :) I’m OOS, interviewed on the CRISP day as well. Haven’t heard back yet! I’ll be crossing my fingers for us!
I'm IS and interviewed on the CRISP day. Haven't heard anything either, but hoping for the best for both of us!

Does anyone know the range of MCAT and GPA accepted last year? I have lower metrics and am trying to guage what my expectations should be post interview....

Does anyone know the range of MCAT and GPA accepted last year? I have lower metrics and am trying to guage what my expectations should be post interview....
From what I can gather:
506-520 MCAT
3.53-4.00 tGPA
4.43-4.00 sGPA

Accepted Tuesday! Interviewed 10/29 IS

IS, Interviewed 11/19, LM 66. I'm pretty sure I'm just a part of their final pool now and won't hear back until March.

IS, Interviewed 11/19, LM 66. I'm pretty sure I'm just a part of their final pool now and won't hear back until March.
I interviewed after you (last week actually) and they told us we were still part of rolling admissions and would hear back by the middle of January most likely. Final pool, however, is formed at the end of January I believe. So, again, I believe you (and me) are not automatically final pooled.