2018-2019 University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um guys sooo I have been looking at several schools' stats on the MSAR, including the curves for GPA and MCAT score (in the acceptance data section) and the curves are not normal curves (for those of you who have taken stats know what I mean). This was making me wonder whether I should take the data for median GPA/MCAT with a grain of salt??? Idk I might just be the only one thinking that...

Um guys sooo I have been looking at several schools' stats on the MSAR, including the curves for GPA and MCAT score (in the acceptance data section) and the curves are not normal curves (for those of you who have taken stats know what I mean). This was making me wonder whether I should take the data for median GPA/MCAT with a grain of salt??? Idk I might just be the only one thinking that...

If you are above the 25th percentile you are competitive for that school. Percentile means the same thing no matter the shape of the distribution

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are above the 25th percentile you are competitive for that school.

This isn't perfectly true, but I agree that if you're above 25th percentile you have a chance and it makes sense to apply

+2 MSTP II about an hour ago! Complete 7/20.

Reactions: 1 user
Little late to post but received a II on 8/29. Lizzy M 75, Complete 8/3

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like they’ve passed the July complete dates, that’s a bummer

Reactions: 1 users
my second II today!! complete 7/13

Omfg II received yesterday! Totally freaked out. Complete 7/4

Reactions: 3 users
Hey so if Penn is a nonrolling admission school, is there no disadvantage for interviewing later in the cycle? I wanted to schedule for Nov because Oct is hectic for me

Nice to see some July dates, now I can pretend I still have a chance

Reactions: 4 users
II on Friday. Complete mid august. LM 83

Reactions: 2 users
Dear UPenn MSTP students, is there anyone would kindly be willing to discuss about the program via personal message with me? I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey so if Penn is a nonrolling admission school, is there no disadvantage for interviewing later in the cycle? I wanted to schedule for Nov because Oct is hectic for me

I got my II in September and interviewed in January. I scheduled all of my nonrolling heavy hitters later in the cycle to get all of my bad interviews out of the way before it really counted.

Nah Penn’s Just slow this year. They held a town hall about plans for interview season just last week.
Do you know if only MSTP slow or MD only as well? That would be super good news. I did my undergrad here and currently work here and know its a longshot but still

Do you know if only MSTP slow or MD only as well? That would be super good news. I did my undergrad here and currently work here and know its a longshot but still

MD seems to be moving slow. No idea about the pace of the MSTP because student involvement in the two processes is different.

For the MD program, students can interview applicants. In the MSTP program, students don’t do interviews but get to go out to dinner and socialize with the applicants on the school’s dime so that the applicants and students can talk freely without the applicants feeling like they are being evaluated. Both seem to be good systems that have been working pretty well.

Weird it won’t let me Pm you either. You can just ask here
I've been very fortunate to be invited to interview at UPenn's MD/PhD Program, and was wondering how many students they interview and what the post-interview acceptance rate is? Thank you in advance!

have there been any IIs recently? theyre killin me smalls

also, sorry for spooking a bunch of you following this thread with a notif :/

Reactions: 6 users
II just now! complete mid september. Interview dates available in mid-october to november

Reactions: 8 users
hey, where does it say that penn is non-rolling? i don't see that info anywhere on their website? asking because i'm hesitant to schedule the last week in nov when there's an available slot 4 weeks earlier (even though the later one would be easier for me scheduling-wise). does anyone know for sure that they're non-rolling, and more importantly, that when you interview doesn't affect your chances??

(i know they release all their decisions on the same day in march, but that doesn't mean they make their decisions on a non-rolling basis, which schools like harvard and cornell explicitly say they do)

Last edited:
hey, where does it say that penn is non-rolling? i don't see that info anywhere on their website? asking because i'm hesitant to schedule the last week in nov when there's an available slot 4 weeks earlier (even though the later one would be easier for me scheduling-wise). does anyone know for sure that they're non-rolling, and more importantly, that when you interview doesn't affect your chances??

(i know they release all their decisions on the same day in march, but that doesn't mean they make their decisions on a non-rolling basis, which schools like harvard and cornell explicitly say they do)

I just interviewed there, and they told us they were non-rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the II as well! Definitely the longest wait out of any school. Complete 7/8

Reactions: 7 users