2018-2019 University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That portal issue email almost gave me a heart attack

rt! It's too early in the morning for this I was not ready for that emotional rollercoaster

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email on 7/3 after submitting my secondary that it was complete and under review, but I just got that same email again tonight... is this what they meant by a portal error?

Edit: have received this email 3 times in the past 24 hours and each time my heart skips a beat

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email on 7/3 after submitting my secondary that it was complete and under review, but I just got that same email again tonight... is this what they meant by a portal error?
I would assume so. I just got the same email, but have been complete since the 15th.

Aagh I keep getting mini heart attacks every time I get an email from Penn :nailbiting:.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m about to start filtering Penn as spam. They just keep getting my hopes up and breaking them...

Reactions: 1 user
maybe they're sending these to the peeps that are actually marked to get II already...conspiracy theory...but sad if true since i'm not getting them

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone~ question on the global activities prompt. Is this one referring more to study/ internship/ research abroad?(i.e volunteering in a foreign hospital) or should we also talk about living abroad? (I'm an international student so l've been technically living abroad until college...)

Is anyone else worried that every time we receive one of these repeated “application complete” emails it means that their system is pushing back the date that our application is marked as complete?

Is anyone else worried that every time we receive one of these repeated “application complete” emails it means that their system is pushing back the date that our application is marked as complete?
Lol not until you said this

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else who has been complete for a long time not been receiving these emails? I haven't seemed to have any problems with the portal...

Reactions: 9 users
Lol not until you said this

I called admissions. They said the glitch in the system will NOT cause the completion date to get pushed back every time one of the emails gets sent.

Reactions: 1 users
MD:
1. Have you taken any online courses for credit?

2. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization?

3. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? If you answer yes, a 1,000 char prompt to elaborate appears.

4. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application?

5. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) (1000 characters if you answer yes)

6. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? (1000 characters if yes)

7. Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor? If yes, please indicate name, department, phone number of faculty, and start/end dates

8. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

9. Sexual and Gender Identity (optional)

Do you identify as (please check all that apply):

Heterosexual/Straight
Gay
Lesbian
Bisexual
Asexual
Queer
Other
Do you identify as (please check all that apply):

Cisgender
Transgender
Gender non-conforming
Gender non-binary
Other
Please let us know if you have a preferred name and/or preferred Gender Pronouns.

MSTP:

Additional pages to check your preferred research group at the time of application (History and Sociology of Medicine, Anthropology, and Business/Economics have further requirements). Also a 500 character box to list keywords related to your research interests.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Finally just filled out my secondary. It only gave me 500 characters for #3

"List all science courses that you have taken online."

Does this include sociology?

"List all science courses that you have taken online."

Does this include sociology?

I don't think that's considered science. That's more humanities and social science.

No IIs yet? Anyone? Does anyone know an estimate of the time period when they start sending them out?

Like September

Really? The MSAR dates are driving me crazy, they seem so inconsistent/wrong. MSAR says August for Perelman but I guess no one here has heard news yet

Really? The MSAR dates are driving me crazy, they seem so inconsistent/wrong. MSAR says August for Perelman but I guess no one here has heard news yet
In my experience, MSAR isn't completely accurate in that regard.

last cycle the first II from Penn reported on SDN came in Sept. FWIW. Every cycle can be different though.

Hello friends. Penn student here. We were told by email today interview invitations will start going out week of August 20th.

Reactions: 16 users
Thanks! Do you know is Penn is receptive to ITA notifications?
I don't know. You might want to look back at previous years' threads to see if that worked for anyone. I can't recall anyone in my class having said they got their II that way.

Also, I will drop in on this thread from time to time if I hear whispers but this is my throwaway account and I won't be on much. I got some PMs and you shouldn't expect a quick answer. Best of luck everyone.

I had a quick question - my application is still incomplete at Penn because one of my LOR writers ghosted me and the school requires you to have all references in for your app to be complete, even if you meet the minimum LOR reqs already.

Is there any way I can have my app reviewed without the last reference? I tried emailing the Penn admissions office but haven't gotten a reply in almost a week. I wanted to know if there was any other recourse for my situation?!

I had a quick question - my application is still incomplete at Penn because one of my LOR writers ghosted me and the school requires you to have all references in for your app to be complete, even if you meet the minimum LOR reqs already.

Is there any way I can have my app reviewed without the last reference? I tried emailing the Penn admissions office but haven't gotten a reply in almost a week. I wanted to know if there was any other recourse for my situation?!

I would probably call the admissions office and see if they can override that or something. Sorry to hear about your LOR writer ghosting you!

I would probably call the admissions office and see if they can override that or something. Sorry to hear about your LOR writer ghosting you!

I had this same problem, I called them and the woman on the other end overrode the missing letter. Call tomorrow and they can fix it ASAP and you'll be complete.

Reactions: 2 users
I had this same problem, I called them and the woman on the other end overrode the missing letter. Call tomorrow and they can fix it ASAP and you'll be complete.
Thank you so much!! I sent my app in mid July and was waiting for the LOR writer to upload it, but it's been far too long. Hopefully it's not too late to be complete and have my app reviewed.

Also a current student here. The e-mail we received stated that interviews will start the last week of September. When I interviewed, I scheduled about a month out so I expect II to start this coming week

Also a current student here. The e-mail we received stated that interviews will start the last week of September. When I interviewed, I scheduled about a month out so I expect II to start this coming week
Thanks.... Any idea what says of the week they interview?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks.... Any idea what says of the week they interview?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Absolutely nothing. a BUNCH our class interviewed the last 2 weeks actually, and the majority interviewed November-January (at least according to word of mouth).

Absolutely nothing. a BUNCH our class interviewed the last 2 weeks actually, and the majority interviewed November-January (at least according to word of mouth).

Wait...what do you mean? like last two weeks a few months ago?

II! Completed secondary couple days after receipt and got the complete email 7/25 too

Reactions: 3 users
II - I swear I’ll never understand this process.

Reactions: 9 users
II this afternoon and it feels like I'm dreaming! (complete 7/9, LM ~75) good luck everyone!