2018-2019 University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone who has interviewed here already that can give some feedback on their experience? This thread seems so dead compared to other schools

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who has interviewed here already that can give some feedback on their experience? This thread seems so dead compared to other schools

I just interviewed there recently in the last two weeks and absolutely loved Penn. You could tell that they really thought about what would be the most helpful experience for us as we go through schools. For instance, instead of having the standard "intro about ___ school" presentation, they had a brief overview and gave several specific examples of their teaching curriculum. Instead of having a traditional tour, we got to see more in-depth into specifics such as operating a mannequin and having a physician teach / walk us through a typical sim center scenario for MS2s. I really appreciated this, and everyone at Penn absolutely loves it (a great sign IMO). Professors are really supportive of students, with lots of flexibility / people interested in things beyond medicine (e.g. policy, business). They also gave us a free hat lol

Penn wasn't initially the highest on my list but now just might be -- I was thoroughly impressed by the interview day! Hope this helps, just my 2c.

Reactions: 1 users
I just interviewed there recently in the last two weeks and absolutely loved Penn. You could tell that they really thought about what would be the most helpful experience for us as we go through schools. For instance, instead of having the standard "intro about ___ school" presentation, they had a brief overview and gave several specific examples of their teaching curriculum. Instead of having a traditional tour, we got to see more in-depth into specifics such as operating a mannequin and having a physician teach / walk us through a typical sim center scenario for MS2s. I really appreciated this, and everyone at Penn absolutely loves it (a great sign IMO). Professors are really supportive of students, with lots of flexibility / people interested in things beyond medicine (e.g. policy, business). They also gave us a free hat lol

Penn wasn't initially the highest on my list but now just might be -- I was thoroughly impressed by the interview day! Hope this helps, just my 2c.

Did they happen to mention how far they are in their cycle? I have some family in the area so penn would be a nice place to check out although i don't know much about it so it was never high on my list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did they happen to mention how far they are in their cycle? I have some family in the area so penn would be a nice place to check out although i don't know much about it so it was never high on my list.

No they didn't, but they're not rolling and a friend of mine recently got an interview so I would guess they're still considering people. The last interview date is mid/late January according to their post interview survey so they're probably nearing the end

No they didn't, but they're not rolling and a friend of mine recently got an interview so I would guess they're still considering people. The last interview date is mid/late January according to their post interview survey so they're probably nearing the end

Ok, thank you! Sounds like there's low chances of getting one at this point but oh well, im thanksful that it's been a good cycle.

It was fantastic and I would even call it fun. They gave us demos of their curriculum—on my interview day, we got to play around with ultrasounds and participate in a standardized patient activity. There were also a lot of students that stopped by throughout the day to chat with us, which I thought was a good reflection on student happiness. My faculty and student interviewers were also very friendly and interested in what I had to say. No tour of the facility strangely, but that choice seemed almost like a flex as if the other activities would more than make up for it lol.

Basically I went into this application cycle not really sure which school would be my top choice, but after interviewing at Penn, it is now definitely at the top of my list.

Sounds amazing! Thank you guys sm, I really appreciate it! And good luck to you both :)

Reactions: 2 users

I agree with what other posters have said. It was definitely one of the most chill and fun days I've had so far.

Also their campus is stunning... that balcony view is Instagram worthy.

Absolutely lovely school imo, the match list is unparalleled and the students seemed happy. Another thing I was worried about was Philly in general, since I wasn’t sure how much I liked the city, but the med school campus feels like a bit of a bubble and seems a lot safer than some of the surrounding areas. I interviewed very recently and I do feel as though they are close to wrapping up.
+1, the students were the happiest and most chill I met!

Reactions: 2 users

when I interviewed at Penn I also surprisingly loved it. I didn't expect to and had my heart set on another school, but the interview day put Penn at the top of my list!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Penn in October, and after interviewing at more schools it's clear that this is where I want to be. When would be the appropriate time to send a letter of intent since they interview into January?

From an adcom perspective, for a school like Penn that is non-rolling, you should not send a letter of intent until you are sure you are finished interviewing. We understand that applicants may not really know what they are looking for in a medical school until they finish all of their interviews and know what there IS to see at a medical school. If you are sure you are not going on any more interviews this cycle, then feel free to update them with a letter of intent (assuming they accept them).

Are there new interview invites recently? Is Penn done sending out interviews?

I called Perelman yesterday they told me that there wrapping up interviews this month and that there were still a small handful of interview invites left to give out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
That last batch of II go out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 6 users
Can totally agree with everyone else here that said that Penn jumped to the top of their lists after interview day. It was honestly the most fun and engaging interview I went to. Food was great too.

Reactions: 4 users
admissions told me that they have finished sending interviews

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Penn is underrated as a med school. Loved facilities, faculty, students, school mission, etc. They are also expanding rapidly with a huge new hospital in the works. Best interview day.

I agree, loved the interview day as well (and the hat they gave us). But I wouldn't say it's underrated; it shares the highest residency director score with Hopkins and UCSF, and for a while Penn consistently ranked as the 2nd best med school in the country!

yah haha, this was one of my fav interview days too but I would describe Penn as "rated".

Outside of medicine, Penn doesn't get the recognition it deserves. While both are great schools, the layman often ranks Yale over Penn, while the medical community typically does the opposite. A few faculty I spoke with at HMS recognized Penn as superior in some aspects (though the difference may be marginal, as the latest PD rankings seem to indicate).

I'm making these disclaimers/modifiers because all of the T10s/T20s are great schools and, in my opinion, the difference between the schools (especially Penn and its overshadowing big brother) is negligible. With that being said, Penn was easily my favorite interview and is my top choice. Like many others have said, I didn't expect to fall in love with the school as hard as I did.

Wait a second the one and only @Lucca, certified SDN godfather, is applying to Penn? Bruh if you get in here and don't come I will be devastated; I always thought you were some sagely resident.

lol nah im just some premed pleb who spends too much time on the internet. I did apply to Penn MSTP though! One of my top choices after interviewing there. I already knew the program would be great since the MSTP there has a rly strong track record and is one of the biggest, but I was a holdout on Philly having never been. After visiting, I actually think it would be a good place to live for 8 yrs.

Anyone know what post-interview accept rate looks like here?

a lot presumptuous I know, but trying to plan things, so anyone know what dates second look is here?

Should we send in financial aid stuff to the office before decision date? I have the FAFSA ready and was wondering if I should add this school.

Finally rejected. At least the email was a lot nicer than what was sent last year

Reactions: 3 users