2018-2019 University of Texas Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My ranking list doesn't appear on the webpage itself either!
Don’t worry, y’all, you will next see your results on the TMDSAS portal on Feb 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes. Most classes are uploaded to Tegrity same day as they given. Only classes that aren't recorded are occasional review sessions.
2) We are only ranked for purposes of AOA, but that rank info doesn't make its way to residencies. So only way to stand out academically are with AOA and Step.
That being said, the vibe is very relaxed and there are very few gunners.
3) Nope! Occasional required lectures but those were mostly in GAR. Other than that, only requires things are lab (was required and daily for GAR, entirely online for MCT, and is required and 2 or less times a week in PHD ((current module)).
4) Take a weekly pre-quiz for POM. Take a group, open note and open internet quiz for PBL weekly.
5) I don't know about that but I can't imagine it's very often. They want us to succeed and provide us with more resources than we could hope to use.
6) Fair mixture of both. GAR was mostly MDs or MD/PhDs, MCT was mostly PhDs, PHD is about even. But it really doesn't matter. The professors are beyond qualified, regardless of their title. Don't let that be a determining factor.
7) I've only had limited contact with administration but they got back to me the next day. I can't generalize and say that will be everyone's experience.
I'm sure if you need something answered urgently you can call.
Could you please share what a typical school week schedule looks like for you?

Two questions:
1. On my student portal, under to-do list, it says for me to submit my transcripts by 2/15. Is this the actual deadline? I won't know for sure if I'll end up here until after match day so that seems a little early to have transcripts sent in.
2. Does financial aid info only come in after match day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Two questions:
1. On my student portal, under to-do list, it says for me to submit my transcripts by 2/15. Is this the actual deadline? I won't know for sure if I'll end up here until after match day so that seems a little early to have transcripts sent in.
2. Does financial aid info only come in after match day?
1. All TMDSAS schools want to see your Fall transcript if you are still a student. Send one official transcript to TMDSAS and they will distribute it to all your schools.
1.b. after committing to one school they will want your final college transcript and will tell you where to send it.
2. Some schools tell you about scholarships at the time of their admissions offer, but I think UTMB waits till later.

Exactly one week away till match! It’s gonna be a loooooonnnnnnnng week of pondering. :nailbiting:o_O:wideyed::heckyeah::)

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Cheering for you all! Busy day for us tomorrow at UTMB too. 1st and 2nd years are taking midterms

Reactions: 3 users
My boyfriend also received an accaptence letter at 1:00am, but he is in an early acceptance program.

*email

Apparently regular admissions ppl are also getting acceptances at 1AM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would greatly appreciate if any OOS acceptance is out there to post letting folks know that this is happening too, along with the match

Last edited:
I got in! I got in!!! UTMB here I come. Acceptance email with a video attachment at 1 a.m. :highfive:

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! Stats?
@TheGirlWhoWaited I know you have been up all night and are anxious and hyper, but why at this point in the game ask every single person their stats when they get accepted? Don't be that person o_O.
If you click on a member's name you will see number of messages they have posted, click on that number and you can see all their messages. Usually somewhere in there you will see their stats. You're welcome. And good luck at 8am!

If you dont match, does that signify rejection or waitlisted?Should I call to ask?

I had below a 505 when I originally got my interview invite (early August) but my second score was above a 505 (new score came in mid August) and I prematched in November
Did you match here today? (trying to read between the lines of your statement LOL)

should one of us make the fb group or does a student there? I notice last year it was made in January. waddup classmates

Reactions: 1 users
For those who didn’t match, does anyone know about when a waitlist or rejection notification will be sent?

Matched today. I really thought the interviews went badly but I guess it's true we tend to misjudge how well our interviews went. (portal + email fwiw)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For those who didn’t match, does anyone know about when a waitlist or rejection notification will be sent?
I took a look at the old thread and I beleive around Feb. 9th people received alternative list emails. Some got accepted around April. I think!

Did anyone who pre-matched get an email today? I didn’t hear anything but Tmdsas says I’m in

Last edited:
Is the login info to the portal in a separate email with will receive or in the mailed acceptance packet?

Not entirely sure if the school makes a class of 2023 fb page or not but I made one that could serve as either the official one or a temporary one! Super excited to meet everyone!!! Here is the link to the page!

should one of us make the fb group or does a student there? I notice last year it was made in January. waddup classmates
The school makes one. Y’all should be getting an invite soon!

Do yall know if accepting a position in UTMB through mySTAR prevents you from being able to get in off the waitlist from any other schools?

Were we supposed to receive a login to myStar at some point? I got accepted and got the email but have never gotten a login to the online portal....

Do yall know if accepting a position in UTMB through mySTAR prevents you from being able to get in off the waitlist from any other schools?
You can accept this offer, and you can still at a later date accept an offer from another school's Wait List.
If another school offers you a spot from their Waitlist later on, you may:
a. accept it
b. politely decline it if you are happier with your current placement.

If you do accept a Waitlist offer, you should next politely email the school where you had a spot originally and say that you have decided to accept an offer from a different medical school, thank them, and say that you will be withdrawing from their class.

Were we supposed to receive a login to myStar at some point? I got accepted and got the email but have never gotten a login to the online portal....
Don't worry @bulbosaur, you will get more information in your packet in the US mail and there is time to set up the mySTAR account. If they have instructed you to accept via mySTAR but you don't have a login, call them on Monday.

Congrats on getting in y’all! Current MS2 here, feel free to hit me up with any questions on here or via message and I can try to answer!

Don't worry @bulbosaur, you will get more information in your packet in the US mail and there is time to set up the mySTAR account. If they have instructed you to accept via mySTAR but you don't have a login, call them on Monday.
As far as I know they haven't asked to accept through mySTAR. Their website does say though that the applicant account gets disabled and they make a new one for matriculants (or something along those lines). The mail they sent was quite brief so I don't know for sure, but I'll just wait for the mailed information...Thank you for help!

Congrats to everyone who matched, either to UTMB or elsewhere! The Class of 2023 Facebook group page is made by Class Officers (current UTMB Students) for the incoming class, so the official page should be up sometime this week! In the meantime, be sure to set up your mySTAR account and UTMB email address as these options become available to you.

To those still waiting to hear back, just like many other Texas Medical Schools, UTMB also has waitlist movement, so stay strong!

--UTMB MS2 Class Prez

Does anyone know how much the deposit is, when its due, and the first day of orientation/ class? :)

Congrats to everyone who matched, either to UTMB or elsewhere! The Class of 2023 Facebook group page is made by Class Officers (current UTMB Students) for the incoming class, so the official page should be up sometime this week! In the meantime, be sure to set up your mySTAR account and UTMB email address as these options become available to you.

To those still waiting to hear back, just like many other Texas Medical Schools, UTMB also has waitlist movement, so stay strong!

--UTMB MS2 Class Prez

Awesome, and those typically come about a week after the acceptance email?

Have any OOS heard back yet?

Not that I’m aware of....at least none since first of the year; in prior cycles some OOS admissions were documented in late December, although no posts of this happening for this cycle

Does anyone know how much the deposit is, when its due, and the first day of orientation/ class? :)
I believe there is NO deposit requirement to secure your spot. You just have to accept the offer on mySTAR. Based on the mail I received after my pre-match, mandatory orientation begins on July 10th and classes start early this year on July 15th

Has anyone received information on making the account for mySTAR yet?

I received my hard copy letter of acceptance today and it stated that there is no deposit required to hold your spot. It does state that the Mystar info will be sent soon and that everything needs to be done within a couple of weeks, so if you don't hear something within a week, we should probably call. The hardcopy letter has some other URL's in it that you can visit to find out more.

Reactions: 2 users