2019-2020 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! This is a message for any current UTMB students. I noticed on the academic calendar for 2020 - 2021 that there is a Y1 exam the Friday of the first week of school (07/17). Any comments on what this exam may possible contain? Would it be review material from undergrad (like biochemistry, biology, etc.) or material from Module 1 META? Thank you in advance for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! This is a message for any current UTMB students. I noticed on the academic calendar for 2020 - 2021 that there is a Y1 exam the Friday of the first week of school (07/17). Any comments on what this exam may possible contain? Would it be review material from undergrad (like biochemistry, biology, etc.) or material from Module 1 META? Thank you in advance for any responses!

It definitely won't be anything from undergrad. It may be a typo tbh. The only "formal" exam we had in META came at the end of the block in the form of an OSCE, and even that was really a completion grade. Of course, anything is possible, but at least last year, pretty much everything in META was a completion credit. As long as you show up or turn the assignments in, you get a green checkmark :D Those first few weeks will be really relaxed academically, there is just a lot of shuffling around and trying to figure out where to be and when.

Reactions: 2 users
It definitely won't be anything from undergrad. It may be a typo tbh. The only "formal" exam we had in META came at the end of the block in the form of an OSCE, and even that was really a completion grade. Of course, anything is possible, but at least last year, pretty much everything in META was a completion credit. As long as you show up or turn the assignments in, you get a green checkmark :D Those first few weeks will be really relaxed academically, there is just a lot of shuffling around and trying to figure out where to be and when.
Thank you for the information!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew from the school. I hope it goes to one of you guys still waiting! Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Any current medical students have advice on best/cheapest living situations, timelines for apartment hunting, etc?
cheapest = frat houses, like 450 a month everything included and free lunch/dinner multiple times a week. a little deteriorated living/30 classmates living with you, hey if that's your thing go for it. Next cheapest is probably finding a house to split with 3 other students, around 600-700 each everything included. or apartments around the island, checkout Zillow, find a roommate on the fb page. there's tons and tons of cheap/nice housing in Galveston, look around online. Unless you have other variables at play I'd recommend living within a couple miles of campus, it's nice to be able to go home and back whenever or wake up 10 mins before class starts and still make it, bicycling distance even better so that you don't have to worry about parking on later starting days.

I preferred to live in a house about a mile from campus. I enjoy being close enough, but still not on campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Any current medical students have advice on best/cheapest living situations, timelines for apartment hunting, etc?
I relied on Trulia when finding my apartment. I found a great garage apartment with full washer and drier for $700/mo. I'd recommend staying away from the larger apartment complexes. They're noisy and relatively expensive. Lots of individual places on island are currently up for rent. Good luck!

I think UTMB has their own apartments on Ferry Road. How are these? Can any current students weigh in on how good they are?

I have been in the few of the UTMB official apts and they are pretty bad. I helped a buddy move into one and it smelled moldy and like something that was non-terrestrial might have actually died in there :D

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I have been in the few of the UTMB official apts and they are pretty bad. I helped a buddy move into one and it smelled moldy and like something that was non-terrestrial might have actually died in there :D
From the looks they are a converted motel. I think you can find something much better, @SlipperyWhenWet, find a realtor who will show you some rental condos or apartments and take a visit to look at them in person.

.Have people already received their financial aid package info from UTMB? I filed my fafsa towards the end of February. I’m new to the whole fafsa process (didn’t qualify for my previous degree due to immigration status).

Has anyone on the waitlist heard back? I know in previous years people have heard back starting March and even February?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From the looks they are a converted motel. I think you can find something much better, @SlipperyWhenWet, find a realtor who will show you some rental condos or apartments and take a visit to look at them in person.
A late thanks, guys. I guess I'll have to do some shopping around for a good place later on in the summer.

Also, has anyone's financial aid awards been sent out yet? I remember someone said they would be released by the end of March.

Waiting is so difficult. & the time period when you could potentially hear something overlaps with starting the next years application. Does anyone mind sharing what they are doing to cope? Are you looking at masters programs/certs to fill the next year? Are you planning on applying 2021 cycle? Meditation?? Anyone’s thoughts are welcome.

Waiting is so difficult. & the time period when you could potentially hear something overlaps with starting the next years application. Does anyone mind sharing what they are doing to cope? Are you looking at masters programs/certs to fill the next year? Are you planning on applying 2021 cycle? Meditation?? Anyone’s thoughts are welcome.
Hi kittycatmed. So a little background about me. I applied July of 2018, was waitlisted by several schools, but ultimately was not accepted. So I pinpointed the areas of my application that I knew were weak (lack of clinical experience primarily), and worked to strengthen those areas. I reapplied May 2019 and was accepted less than five months later (October 15 at 1:01am to be specific haha).
Not matching is devastating. And then being in a state of limbo just adds insult to injury. I know how hard it is. But I'm going to advise you to not let it break you. Keep going if medicine is truly what you want to dedicate your life to. Find where you were weak and get to work. Stay busy. Reapply. You have no idea where you'll be in the next few months. Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hi kittycatmed. So a little background about me. I applied July of 2018, was waitlisted by several schools, but ultimately was not accepted. So I pinpointed the areas of my application that I knew were weak (lack of clinical experience primarily), and worked to strengthen those areas. I reapplied May 2019 and was accepted less than five months later (October 15 at 1:01am to be specific haha).
Not matching is devastating. And then being in a state of limbo just adds insult to injury. I know how hard it is. But I'm going to advise you to not let it break you. Keep going if medicine is truly what you want to dedicate your life to. Find where you were weak and get to work. Stay busy. Reapply. You have no idea where you'll be in the next few months. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the insight! I really appreciate it. I wish you the best of luck with all of your future endeavors!

.Have people already received their financial aid package info from UTMB? I filed my fafsa towards the end of February. I’m new to the whole fafsa process (didn’t qualify for my previous degree due to immigration status).
I haven't gotten any information on my financial aid package yet, either.

I fully understand Corona has put everything at a standstill, was still wondering if there has been waitlist movement from any Texas medical schools (other than UTMB) at this point in time?

I fully understand Corona has put everything at a standstill, was still wondering if there has been waitlist movement from any Texas medical schools (other than UTMB) at this point in time?
I think we won't see much until late April/May, this is the pattern for WL action even in regular years. Keep optimistic and keep healthy!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard of any movement in the waitlist ?

No, how would you find that out?
Ya, that's not possible to find out. We can only know insofar as people are willing to share their withdrawal on this thread. But not everyone uses SDN or makes a post. So far, I believe I've seen 2 withdrawals on this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Got accepted off the waitlist!! IS. I’m super stoked!

Those who have been accepted, do you rmr how long it took to receive the official offer letter in the mail?

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Those who have been accepted, do you rmr how long it took to receive the official offer letter in the mail?

Congrats! I think 1 or 2 weeks. Once you get your UTMB email set up we can join the fb group and GroupMe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!! So happy for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love

I don't remember exactly, but it took like a week, maybe a week amd a half.

Congrats on getting in, tho! See you here, dude!

I've already submitted an LOI, but I want to update the admissions committee on paper that I'm in the process of submitting for publishing. Does anybody know if UTMB receptive to update letters (after submitting a LOI)? Thanks!

Congratulations! Did you send any updates or a LOI?

I've already submitted an LOI, but I want to update the admissions committee on paper that I'm in the process of submitting for publishing. Does anybody know if UTMB receptive to update letters (after submitting a LOI)? Thanks!
It should be okay but I would call UTMB admissions to double check with them.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Were you holding a spot at another texas school?

I had an interview with U of H COM, but still super hopeful regarding being waitlisted with UTMB. Any more movement so far?

I'm feeling so antsy about this all-- studying to retake the MCAT on June 27 for now while also working in a hospital and seeing COVID patients. Stressful times! LOL

Reactions: 6 users
I had an interview with U of H COM, but still super hopeful regarding being waitlisted with UTMB. Any more movement so far?

I'm feeling so antsy about this all-- studying to retake the MCAT on June 27 for now while also working in a hospital and seeing COVID patients. Stressful times! LOL

Good luck, my friend. Hope you hear an A from at least one of those two

Has UTMB filled all their spots, what's left is WL and could hear something today or all the way until June, ugh??

Has UTMB filled all their spots, what's left is WL and could hear something today or all the way until June, ugh??

Depends...after May 1st, when everyone either has one school or no school, they may fill open seats with waitlisted accepted and waitlisted non-accepted applicants until May 15. After this date, positions will be offered to waitlisted non-accepted applicants until orientation due to spots opening for a variety of reasons.

We have no idea the state of UTMBs class, possibly you can ask admissions but I doubt they will give you much information.