2019-2020 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, AFTER May 15, no Texas TMDSAS school may offer acceptance to a Texan who already has an other offer of admission.
So, you can be in this alternate pool until May 15, and if not pulled off of it, you will be going to your Matched school.
See my post about this here #368 and also go back and read the TMDSAS rules.
Thank you for the information!

Members don't see this ad.

Just making sure, since they said 200 people in waitlist, they dont put everyone who isn’t accepted into waitlist right? Only certain people are in it?

Reactions: 1 users
Just making sure, since they said 200 people in waitlist, they dont put everyone who isn’t accepted into waitlist right? Only certain people are in it?
Correct. UTMB had thousands of applicants, and a class size of 230. An alternate pool of 200 is more than enough for them to use to fill any vacancies that may arise.
The alternate pool will probably be mostly Texans, (this is my hunch, not a proven fact I found anywhere).

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate pool give me strength! Fingers crossed for some future good news.

Reactions: 4 users
for all you gym/workout peeps
Check out the Facebook page, UTMB Alumni Field House is announcing renovation & new equipment. You can browse & see what kinds of classes they have, too.

The field house is a really nice facility. The staff is super friendly and the place is really well kept. There is a selection of equipment that is on par with a typical 24-hour fitness supersport club. The downside is that the parking is not plentiful (not too much of a problem when the weather is nice) and, like most gyms, peak times are pretty busy so it is best to plan your workout during less-busy periods. As an added bonus, they tend to remain open even when the university is closed for holidays, with a few exceptions.

Can current students give thoughts on the Medical frats? I was never into Greek life in undergrad but wondering if it’s more different at UTMB. Definitely interested in getting to hang out w my classmates so that side is appealing.

Can current students give thoughts on the Medical frats? I was never into Greek life in undergrad but wondering if it’s more different at UTMB. Definitely interested in getting to hang out w my classmates so that side is appealing.

The frats are pretty popular on campus. I'm not in one but they pretty consistently invite everyone out to their parties once a month. If I was a little younger and my liver was in better shape I probably would have considered joining one :D

Reactions: 3 users

there is some drinking and tomfoolery, think an undergrad frat but filled with people who actually study. They don't party every weekend, usually they will have a party every month or 2 that everyone is invited to.

you can hang with your classmates either way, they invite everyone to 90% of their parties (which is awesome compared to the selective nature of undergrad frats). I chose not to live in a frat because when I was "home" I didn't want 30 other people in close quarters next to me. I wanted to live in a house closer to the beach with a few other people. It's all about your preferences. I know they're slamming you with ads for the frats on our fb page, but don't feel obliged to join. But if that's your thing go for it.

Reactions: 6 users
there is some drinking and tomfoolery, think an undergrad frat but filled with people who actually study. They don't party every weekend, usually they will have a party every month or 2 that everyone is invited to.

you can hang with your classmates either way, they invite everyone to 90% of their parties (which is awesome compared to the selective nature of undergrad frats). I chose not to live in a frat because when I was "home" I didn't want 30 other people in close quarters next to me. I wanted to live in a house closer to the beach with a few other people. It's all about your preferences. I know they're slamming you with ads for the frats on our fb page, but don't feel obliged to join. But if that's your thing go for it.

Oh ok was mostly worried about the whole selective nature I used to hear about in undergrad but they sound interesting so I’ll check them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok was mostly worried about the whole selective nature I used to hear about in undergrad but they sound interesting so I’ll check them out!

Correct me if I'm wrong y'all but I think the fraternity you're hearing about is more like a boarding house or co-op living situation. Cheap rent, camaraderie, in exchange for communal living style. Some would love it, some need some alone time. No harm in visiting or talking to somebody who lives there.

Reactions: 5 users
Apologies if this has already been asked, but anyone know when the calendar comes out?

Yes, AFTER May 15, no Texas TMDSAS school may offer acceptance to a Texan who already has another offer of admission.
So, you can be in this alternate pool until May 15, and if not pulled off of it, you will be going to your Matched school.
See my post about this here #368 and also go back and read the TMDSAS rules.

Looks like there’s a caveat to this. Texas schools can offer an acceptance to another applicant with an acceptance but the dean has to ask for permission from the other dean. Looks like it’s pretty unusual for this to occur though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They’re trying a bit with the transcripts, but my school doesn’t take the SPEEDE service or whatever, so that’ll go through the mail as well lol

Question on filling out background check. I had violation for driving with a suspended license and I went to court for it but was dismissed. The background papers ask if I was convicted of a crime. I asked my attorney’s office and they said since it was dismissed I was not convicted and should put no. But lower down on that page it says “for the criminal charge you put above, if that charge was dismissed state the reason for dismissal”. Is it asking to write if you were convicted and then that conviction was dismissed? Or the fact that I was even in court for it and had it dismissed without a conviction still means I need to put it down?

Hahaha guess I have to go learn how to send mail now
I am always amazed at how many HS and college students have no idea how to send mail, and some don't even know their own mailing addresses!
You can buy a full-page-size envelope at the post office and because you will have quite a few pages in it, you will need more than one stamp so
have them weigh it for you and mail it.

Envelope.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Question on filling out background check. I had violation for driving with a suspended license and I went to court for it but was dismissed. The background papers ask if I was convicted of a crime. I asked my attorney’s office and they said since it was dismissed I was not convicted and should put no. But lower down on that page it says “for the criminal charge you put above, if that charge was dismissed state the reason for dismissal”. Is it asking to write if you were convicted and then that conviction was dismissed? Or the fact that I was even in court for it and had it dismissed without a conviction still means I need to put it down?
I believe you still need to list it unless it was expunged. Just list the reasoning why it was dismissed (ie. misunderstand you were not guilty.)

I am always amazed at how many HS and college students have no idea how to send mail, and some don't even know their own mailing addresses!
You can buy a full-page-size envelope at the post office and because you will have quite a few pages in it, you will need more than one stamp so
have them weigh it for you and mail it.

View attachment 295225
I still have no idea how many stamps to add and put 2-3 just to be safe lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I believe you still need to list it unless it was expunged. Just list the reasoning why it was dismissed (ie. misunderstand you were not guilty.)

Yeah I don’t want to risk it and jot it down. For the reasoning I think I have to get a disposition from the actual clerk of the court

Yeah I don’t want to risk it and jot it down. For the reasoning I think I have to get a disposition from the actual clerk of the court

I'm not sure if you'd need a deposition, probably just write the explanation so when they see it they won't be surprised. Also, you may want to speak to a lawyer about getting it expunged and see if it's worth it to do that for the future. (residency apps etc.) not sure if it'd make a big difference.

In case acceptance mail hasn’t been sent to everyone who matched on match day, I’m looking over my acceptance mail and just want to remind everyone that official transcripts have to be sent from all colleges and universities you attended directly to UTMB and the ones on the TMDSAS app won’t satisfy the requirements. They want those transcripts received by March 15, including courses currently in progress.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! So for accepted students, they said to watch out for an email from castle branch regarding further background check processes and the drug test. Has anyone gotten that?

Hi! So for accepted students, they said to watch out for an email from castle branch regarding further background check processes and the drug test. Has anyone gotten that?

Adjustments.jpg

30-60 days before matriculation. Won’t get that for a little while.

have y’all gotten your UTMB emails? do you know when and how to get them? sorry if it’s already answered and thank you! :)

have y’all gotten your UTMB emails? do you know when and how to get them? sorry if it’s already answered and thank you! :)

You should have gotten an email with instructions on how to acces it.

How is everyone feeling on the Step 1 announcement? Do you think UTMB will comment on it/make any curriculum changes?

Although preclinical is P/F and Step 1 is effectively gone for all future classes, UTMB still grades on an Honors/High Pass/Pass system for clinical rotations, so there is still the ability to distinguish yourself numerically. UTMB is also one of the largest and oldest schools in the country, which may very well be more advantageous in the absence of Step 1 scores than it was when you could actually tank step and negate that boost :D

Reactions: 6 users
When does waitlist movement generally start? Staying hopeful :)

Reactions: 8 users
So, So, So hopeful. Current physical therapist here. On the Alternate pool for UTMB medical. I'm assuming Alternate is same as waitlist? I've done the math and it's about a 7% chance, but I am still crossing fingers. Good luck, all!

Reactions: 4 users
So, So, So hopeful. Current physical therapist here. On the Alternate pool for UTMB medical. I'm assuming Alternate is same as waitlist? I've done the math and it's about a 7% chance, but I am still crossing fingers. Good luck, all!
I think the difference is that the alternate pool is not ranked so they review everyone in it each time a spot opens up.

Every school says something like that because pre meds would bombard the school on how to get up the list and how high they are on the list, etc. If they used the word waitlist, kids would freak out. They stopped using it in their emails, but everyone knows what it means.

How about filling any fafsa forms? When do we do that? After March?

Last edited:
Any current medical students have advice on best/cheapest living situations, timelines for apartment hunting, etc?

Any current medical students have advice on best/cheapest living situations, timelines for apartment hunting, etc?
I can't help out too much since I live off the island but there's several apartment locations near campus that are decent (for more specifics you can see what people say on the facebook page) but its also very common for people to rent a townhome and then live with roommates near campus! I know a lot of people also who rent apartments more towards the west side of the island but parking (especially towards the beginning of the year) is awful so I would recommend walking/biking distance if you can swing it.