2019-2020 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depends...after May 1st, when everyone either has one school or no school, they may fill open seats with waitlisted accepted and waitlisted non-accepted applicants until May 15. After this date, positions will be offered to waitlisted non-accepted applicants until orientation due to spots opening for a variety of reasons.

We have no idea the state of UTMBs class, possibly you can ask admissions but I doubt they will give you much information.
What is the difference between WL accepted and WL non-accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between WL accepted and WL non-accepted?

WL accepted - Whether you’ve been accepted to another TMDSAS school. The Texas schools have an agreement where they won’t offer acceptances to a student after May 15 if that student has been accepted already to a TMDSAS school. After May 15, the only acceptances that can be offered are to students who have no acceptances. TMDSAS Timeline

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody been accepted with a 3.6 cGPA? I know that is significantly lower than their median. My sGPA is 3.95 though!

Has UTMB filled all their spots?

Hi! I think the answer is still the same as when you asked this question here last week. We don't know, unfortunately. All we each can do is just wait to see.

edit: ...or you can call UTMB to find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi! I think the answer is still the same as when you asked this question here last week. We don't know, unfortunately. All we each can do is just wait to see.

edit: ...or you can call UTMB to find out.
I emailed the school of admissions and they said they can't give out any more information other than that the application is still pending

Just got off the waitlist!!! Feel like I'm in a fever dream

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!!! :) did you send in a LOI/any updates?
Yes, contrary to most suggestions... I sent 2 LOI, one during prematch season and another including updates shortly after match.

Hello everyone!

I was sent an acceptance email yesterday and was wondering how soon the mySTAR information gets sent so i can log in and accept the offer? Im super excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone!

I was sent an acceptance email yesterday and was wondering how soon the mySTAR information gets sent so i can log in and accept the offer? Im super excited!!
@b_lo You can accept by direct email to admissions while you wait for your portal stuff. UTMB also mails you a paper packet of things to read and sign, which might take a couple of weeks to reach you.
Was this your first acceptance? Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc Thank you, I've just sent the email to admissions! and yes, I loved this school during my interview and cant wait to meet everyone.

How likely after this many people got off the waitlist is it for someone to get off the waitlist before the 15th?

How likely after this many people got off the waitlist is it for someone to get off the waitlist before the 15th?

There’s a little over 190 people in the GroupMe and my guess is 10-15 at most are upperclassmen. There’s a chance that there’s a chunk of people who have not joined the GroupMe yet but those are the current numbers in the group

There’s a little over 190 people in the GroupMe and my guess is 10-15 at most are upperclassmen. There’s a chance that there’s a chunk of people who have not joined the GroupMe yet but those are the current numbers in the group

Also, there have been a couple that I’ve seen leave the GroupMe and the FB page bc they accepted offers that they just got. UTMB isn’t the only one still accepting, so be patient! Even a full class can change as others get more offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
I know it's kinda futile to ask them what the situation is like at admissions but has anyone been able to get in contact with the school? Every time I've called, no one's picked up (Which I'm assuming is due to COVID)

I know it's kinda futile to ask them what the situation is like at admissions but has anyone been able to get in contact with the school? Every time I've called, no one's picked up (Which I'm assuming is due to COVID)
They're pretty good about answering emails

I was just accepted!!! Anyone know how to access myStar and the social media groups?

Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted off the wait-list today! Can someone dm me the social media info?

Reactions: 5 users
Could you please pm me the group me info? Thanks! Can’t wait to meet everyone in July :)

I withdrew my acceptance here on Thursday the 14th, hopefully it was one of you guys that got it!

So i just heard of a medical school in Texas accepting more students from the wait list but deferring their admission for fall 2021 because of covid-19. Is this a thing all medical schools are doing now?

So i just heard of a medical school in Texas accepting more students from the wait list but deferring their admission for fall 2021 because of covid-19. Is this a thing all medical schools are doing now?
Nonsense. Supply your source
@runmemyM.D. I retract my nonsense comment and substitute "Huhn. That makes no dang sense."
Normally if a school calls applicants and asks them to start a year from now instead of this year, it means the Admissions director miscalculated a bit and more people accepted an admission offer than expected. So for example maybe 105 people said "yes" to a 100-member class cohort. Maybe 5 people would agree to start later, if asked.
Calling in new people from a WL and asking them to start next year leaves me scratching my head. :thinking:o_O

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Lol I highly doubt it. This also seems pretty unreasonable

I have heard the same for UTMB but it’s not as if people are doing it in droves.
You know someone who got off the wait list at UTMB for the fall of 2021? When was this? From what I've heard not a lot of Texas schools have started doing this yet.

I have heard the same for UTMB but it’s not as if people are doing it in droves.
I think it’s possible that a small number of students have asked to defer their enrollment until next year. I don’t think it’s likely that a school is inviting someone in from the WL specifically to be a part of next year’s class.

I think it’s possible that a small number of students have asked to defer their enrollment until next year. I don’t think it’s likely that a school is inviting someone in from the WL specifically to be a part of next year’s class.
I have a friend who got pulled off of the Texas Tech waitlist yesterday to start in the fall of 2021. I dont know if any other schools are doing this but Texas Tech in Lubbock for sure is.

I have a friend who got pulled off of the Texas Tech waitlist yesterday to start in the fall of 2021. I dont know if any other schools are doing this but Texas Tech in Lubbock for sure is.
I have never heard of this, thanks for confirming. Since it’s your friend, would you be able to ask if this is something they asked for?

I have never heard of this, thanks for confirming. Since it’s your friend, would you be able to ask if this is something they asked for?
When they received the call off the waitlist it was their only option. The were not offered a spot in the fall 2020 class.

When they received the call off the waitlist it was their only option. The were not offered a spot in the fall 2020 class.
The only reason I can think of for this is that schools are expecting a much smaller applicant pool for this upcoming cycle so they're trying to fill the shortage with qualified applicants currently in their waitlist. Smart move if true

The only reason I can think of for this is that schools are expecting a much smaller applicant pool for this upcoming cycle so they're trying to fill the shortage with qualified applicants currently in their waitlist. Smart move if true
Ok y’all I am never too old to learn something new.
I asked one of our SDN adcoms about this. If there is a student they really liked but who didn’t make it in to their class, and they notice the student has no acceptances, they might offer a spot in the next year’s class. This lets them still get a student they want and have already evaluated, and lets the student have a year to do something meaningful and know where they will be, instead of spending it reapplying.
So while it’s uncommon it’s not unheard of - except apparently by me! :oops:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Any recent movements with people being accepted from the waitlist? Or is it more than likely all the spots are filled at this point? I still haven't gotten a rejection letter or heard anything so I guess I am still being considered, but losing hope. I submitted a second LOI and was told it was added to my file immediately, but that was at the beginning of the month.

If anyone has gotten offers off the waiting list, please let us know. I would rather know now if I have no more chance.

If anyone has gotten offers off the waiting list, please let us know. I would rather know now if I have no more chance.

someone joined the GroupMe and said they had been accepted off the waitlist on June 4th. This was pretty recently so I’m assuming there’s still a bit of movement!

Reactions: 3 users