Rush Medical College VS University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDmanGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both these schools, and am torn between the two.
Anyone have anything to say about either of these schools? which should i choose??
Money isnt really a issue

Members don't see this ad.

What is important to you? You said money isn't - so what do you want to base your decision on?

Im actually trying to decide between these two schools as well. They both have similar curriculums and students seem equally as happy. I think it'd be great to go to UC where they have great research opportunities, volunteer service, and international opportunities. They match very well in a lot of competitive specialties and tend to do much better than average on the USMLE. Rush does very well to but the city opportunities just make it so appealing as well. Based on the medical center itself, Rush surpasses UC. If youre interested in peds, UC is amazing. I know this isn't much help, but I'm in the same boat and hoping we can get some more insight. I change my mind daily on where I want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out that the second looks are on the same day, too.

I was looking for someone with experience at either school to list the major pros and cons of both schools...

As far as tuition, the difference between the two schools is roughly $38,000 over the 4 years, which I assume wouldnt be that big of a factor in the long term.

As of now I plan on specializing in something in surgery as that is what im interested in, but who knows what'll happen

And yea, it doesnt help that the second look event is on the same day for both schools

If you want to pursue orthopaedic surgery, pick Rush and never look back. Otherwise, go with Cincinnati.

Also, if you're interested in EM, i'd take cinci over rush. Cinci was the pioneer school for EM...

If you want to pursue orthopaedic surgery, pick Rush and never look back. Otherwise, go with Cincinnati.

why do you say that?

Also, University of Cincinnati is ranked higher than Rush Medical College in both research and primary care, should ranking be a part of my decision? Does a schools ranking have any effect on residency applications?

When looking at the match lists, it seems like Cincinnati produces more orthopedic surgeons, but im not really interested in ortho as of now.

I feel like Cincinnati would be a better school from an academic standpoint, but for some reason I feel drawn to Rush. Being in Chicago has a huge plus, as well as the new hospital

Anyone else with more insight?

When looking at the match lists, it seems like Cincinnati produces more orthopedic surgeons, but im not really interested in ortho as of now.

# of matches is indicative of the amount of interest in that class in a given year, which isn't very helpful information.

Rush's ortho matches were uniformly into very competitive programs, which is pretty rare and speaks volumes about the mentoring/connections in their home department.

If you're not dead-set on ortho, then go to cincy.

I am interested in ER, so I would pick UC over many schools (including Rush).

Thank you to everyone who replied, I really appreciate it. I'm still torn between the two, if anyone else can weigh in i'd appreciate it

Hey MDmanGuy,

Just something interesting to consider. I recently spoke to the Dean of U.S. Med School and she told me that when you apply for residencies there are 17 ranked factors that help them decide to take you. Of them, prestige of the MD program is #13. # 1 and 2 are Letters of Recs from Clerkships and USMLE step 1 score, respectively. Thus, at the end of the day, choose where you feel you'll do best and where you'll be happy.

Good luck!

I was recently accepted to both these schools, and am torn between the two.
Anyone have anything to say about either of these schools? which should i choose??
Money isnt really a issue

If you want to be in Chicago, go with Rush. Chicago>>>Cincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.