2018-2019 University of Texas Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super worried right now. I got their confirmation email way back in late June, and have had complete silence since. LizzyM of 70-71, and live near the area. Is it safe to say I've been passed up? If all the II's being given out now are for people that recently got confirmations, I'm not so sure if they'll go back to June applicants to offer II's.... Pretty disappointed, this was probably gonna end up being my top choice.
I am interviewing on Nov 9th. So, there might still be four days available. Keep your hopes alive!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any other Early July applicants with no love from UTMB?
LizzyM70~

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 240190

They have interviews into December!

Thanks. I saw that but it just seemed like all the II's they've been sending lately have been to applicants who just submitted their apps - earlier this month or last month. But we'll see what happens. I wonder if they can prematch applicants who interview after the 15th...

Thanks. I saw that but it just seemed like all the II's they've been sending lately have been to applicants who just submitted their apps - earlier this month or last month. But we'll see what happens. I wonder if they can prematch applicants who interview after the 15th...
Prematch window is Nov 15th to Dec 31st.

Hello everyone! Current MS1 here. Just wanted to pop on here and give a little hope to those of you still waiting on an II. UTMB was my only interview in November and only acceptance. And even then I got accepted off the waitlist. So never lose hope! If you are a good match for UTMB the committee will definitely spot that from a mile away even if you don’t realize it yourself. Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone! Current MS1 here. Just wanted to pop on here and give a little hope to those of you still waiting on an II. UTMB was my only interview in November and only acceptance. And even then I got accepted off the waitlist. So never lose hope! If you are a good match for UTMB the committee will definitely spot that from a mile away even if you don’t realize it yourself. Good luck!
Thank you for the encouragement! UTMB is my only interview invite so far. But one is better than none! I have an interview coming up in Nov 2nd. I even bought the book online about the school history to read,:bookworm: haha. Do you mind sharing a little bit more about your interview experience with them?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the encouragement! UTMB is my only interview invite so far. But one is better than none! I have an interview coming up in Nov 2nd. I even bought the book online about the school history to read,:bookworm: haha. Do you mind sharing a little bit more about your interview experience with them?

My interviews were very laid back! One of my interviews went on to be a 40 min conversation where at the end my interviewer laughed and realized he hadnt asked me any of the typical “why medicine” questions. I enjoyed both interviews as both were more conversational. Definitely know how you will answer “why medicine” and be prepared for an ethical question (was just in one of my interviews). Overall the interviews were pleasant and not stressful. Be yourself, make eye contact, dont play with your hands too much-just as a side tip!

Are all OOS applicants informed between Oct 15-Nov 15?

Last edited:
I've always wanted to visit UTMB. Driven by several times, but haven't gone inside. It seems like going to school in Galveston would be chill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still complete silence from UTMB :/ I have only received one email saying they have received my application on 7/17...did ya'll get an additional email saying your application is "under review" or something similar after Casper scores were sent in??

My interviews were very laid back! One of my interviews went on to be a 40 min conversation where at the end my interviewer laughed and realized he hadnt asked me any of the typical “why medicine” questions. I enjoyed both interviews as both were more conversational. Definitely know how you will answer “why medicine” and be prepared for an ethical question (was just in one of my interviews). Overall the interviews were pleasant and not stressful. Be yourself, make eye contact, dont play with your hands too much-just as a side tip!
Thank you! That's a good tip, I tend to talk with my hands when I am nervous.

Still complete silence from UTMB :/ I have only received one email saying they have received my application on 7/17...did ya'll get an additional email saying your application is "under review" or something similar after Casper scores were sent in??
Transmitted 6/27 app received email 7/17 and nothing since. Last year, applied late and got II in 17 days from transmit. Also was on their waitlist.

I got an under review email 06/28 and a II on 7/17, hadn't even sent in my Casper yet. Transmitted 06/01

I got an under review email 06/28 and a II on 7/17, hadn't even sent in my Casper yet. Transmitted 06/01
Stats? That's around the time I got my under review email and complete silence since. LM ~ 70

Be careful with the mosquitoes!!! I got six bites even with my pants on!

Be careful with the mosquitoes!!! I got six bites even with my pants on!
My gf goes to school in Galveston and has told me numerous times that they have super mosquitoes there. You can feel them land and bite apparently, lol.

she should try walking around with dryer sheets in her pocket...apparently it keeps them away! no promises though lol

I’ve not come into contact with the super mosquitos of Galveston, but for anyone who gets bit 1000 times in the middle of a crowd like me, you might consider a bug repellent wrist band. They don’t smell like bug spray does, and can normally be tucked under a sleeve!

Did anyone else receive an email stating that UTMB extended its secondary deadline out another month?

II offered on 11/30

Complete 6/11

LM 70.

Reactions: 3 users
II received on 10/10
TMDSAS Transmitted on 8/6
CASPer Completed (in their requirement) 10/3

I know these completions are relatively late. Should I be optimistic if they were able to extend me an II in spite of that? What do y'all think?

II received on 10/10
TMDSAS Transmitted on 8/6
CASPer Completed (in their requirement) 10/3

I know these completions are relatively late. Should I be optimistic if they were able to extend me an II in spite of that? What do y'all think?
you're good, they interview through December

Last edited:
Interviewed on 10/12. Just want to confirm how smooth and comfortable UTMB's interviews are. They truly do a great job of taking some of the pressure off of the experience. This was my first interview anywhere, so it was just what I needed! I was caught a bit off guard by one interviewer that didn't ask me any questions, just asked me what questions I had for him. I prepared a few questions, but not 30 min worth. He pretty much ended up giving me advice on how to succeed in med school, etc. He was speaking for about 90% of the interview - not sure if that's a good or bad thing, lol.

MD/PhD II! Completed ~9/7

Only offered 11/9 or 12/7 interview dates

Do you receive some sort of verification that they received your caspr scores? The last email I got from them looked like this:

"Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee. In addition to the TMDSAS application, the CASPer Test will now be required by UTMB.

The CASPer Test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) is a mandatory online 90-minute computer-based test used to assist with the selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility."

Is this the "under review email" that you guys are talking about?

Do you receive some sort of verification that they received your caspr scores? The last email I got from them looked like this:

"Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee. In addition to the TMDSAS application, the CASPer Test will now be required by UTMB.

The CASPer Test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) is a mandatory online 90-minute computer-based test used to assist with the selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility."

Is this the "under review email" that you guys are talking about?
That’s the last message I got back in July.

Reactions: 4 users
LM~70, application finalized/completed on 8/10 due to MCAT scores but secondary was sent early July. Is there still a chance of an II?

LM~70, application finalized/completed on 8/10 due to MCAT scores but secondary was sent early July. Is there still a chance of an II?
I know someone last year in that range that received an II in mid November. So I’m still holding out hope

Reactions: 2 users
Received an interview today from here, secondary was in during the middle of June. I really can’t beleieve it at all. Anyone have any II tips at all? Like what questions to expect? Someone DM me if you uncomfortable to comment publicly!
did UTMB have a secondary? am i missing something or is this referring to casper

Is the December 7th MD/PhD interview date filled or do you think they might still send some IIs for that date soon?

I'm still waiting patiently........

Stats if you don’t mind me asking? MCAT and GPAwise. I keep seeing that they love a HIGH GPA here, makes sense since my MCAT is very average- but GPA is high (in regards to me getting an II).

Last edited:
I had my interviews on 11/2. My experiences are nothing but positive. I am happy to answer any question you have!

Reactions: 2 users
I had my interviews on 11/2. My experiences are nothing but positive. I am happy to answer any question you have!

Could you DM me please- I cant start a personal conversation with you due to privacy settings