2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they really say that? It's definitely tough knowing you'd be in if the AAMC hadn't changed the system.
When we were leaving, someone asked it as a side question and that was the answer that was given . I’ve also had interviews at other schools where admin have said to be patient when hearing back bc due to the changes, they will very slowly accept people (like giving out small number of acceptances at the beginning)

Members don't see this ad.

When we were leaving, someone asked it as a side question and that was the answer that was given . I’ve also had interviews at other schools where admin have said to be patient when hearing back bc due to the changes, they will very slowly accept people (like giving out small number of acceptances at the beginning)

Looks like i picked the wrong cycle to be a border-line applicant

Reactions: 10 users
Not to sound ignorant, but what changes have been made to AMCAS that makes it different than last cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound ignorant, but what changes have been made to AMCAS that makes it different than last cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Traffic rules are a set of guidelines to help medical schools make sure that every seat was filled by providing information about acceptances throughout the cycle and creating a timelime/procedures for acceptances. Some changes this year are

1) Previously there was a Multiple Acceptance Report (in February) that showed every school that accepted you only to every other school that accepted you. This was used primarly for schools to plan number of acceptances and/or depth of wait list. This was followed by National Acceptance Report (in April) which allowed every school to see where every applicant had been accepted. This was a top down approach that AMCAS collected the info and sent it out to all the schools. Neither of these reports will be issued this year.

2) replacing these reports are tools that the schools can use from the bottom up requiring students in AMCAS to declare their "intention to enroll" and their "commitment to enroll" starting about Feb 15 2019 with commitment to enroll by April 30th. While many students have expressed concern about giving out too much information in such a high stakes process, it is projected that most schools will adopt this after the upcoming AAMC November meetings.

3) What this means that since each school will require this, it will be "legal" and all applicants will be required to declare intention to enroll to a single school beginning in February (which you can change) and commitment to enroll b April 30th (which can be changed for new acceptance after that date).

4) What may be slightly different this year and could only affect a very small set of students if at all is getting an acceptance after you have started classes at a medical school. Previously this was not allowed as once you matriculated, a school could not offer you an acceptance. If most schools adopt the above system, they will likely update policies stating that they will not take a student already matriculated elsewhere.

In short, there wont be any difference from old traffic rules to new traffic rules for applicants. Difference will really be only be where the rules originate from.

Opinions from @Med Ed , @gyngyn @Catalystik @LizzyM on this ?
(basing my reasoning from webinar http://eventcenter.commpartners.com/se/Meetings/Playback_new.aspx?meeting.id=115748

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard this too. Did the schools tell you they will be using the waitlist more heavily? Or that waves of acceptances will come out late but before waitlist?

II today! Pretty surprised, I had given up hope at this point.

Reactions: 13 users
A long long time ago, I don't have the exact date they considered me complete but I submitted all my material on 7/17.
Wow. Must feel good. Just watch out, Burlington has a lot of Hipsters.
3ubRDsK.png

1st year here, feel free to message me with any questions

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone tell me how the acceptance process works here? Do acceptances/rejections come in waves, and if so, are the waves predictable? Just wondering since I'm interviewing in February and wondering if I will hear back before it's time for me to commit to another school that's accepted me.

Can someone tell me how the acceptance process works here? Do acceptances/rejections come in waves, and if so, are the waves predictable? Just wondering since I'm interviewing in February and wondering if I will hear back before it's time for me to commit to another school that's accepted me.
seems to come in waves but there seems to only have been 1 or 2 acceptance waves one day after the next this cycle... and honestly i would say that the acceptance waves arent that predictable for this school given that fact that i interviewed in September, received a strongly interested email and still no official decision 4 months post interview

Hello, it’s me.

I was wondering if after all these months, you’d like to meet,
To go over, everything.

Though I wrote my app in August,
I haven’t heard a thing....

Hello, can you screen me?

I’m in purgatory dreaming bout how lovely it would be.
If you just interviewed me.
I could tell you all about the doc that I hope to be.

There’s such a distance,
Between us. Adcoms and applicants.

Hello from the other side.

Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, it’s me.

I was wondering if after all these months, you’d like to meet,
To go over, everything.

Though I wrote my app in August,
I haven’t heard a thing....

Hello, can you screen me?

I’m in purgatory dreaming bout how lovely it would be.
If you just interviewed me.
I could tell you all about the doc that I hope to be.

There’s such a distance,
Between us. Adcoms and applicants.

Hello from the other side.

This is gold

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Is it basically an R if we haven’t heard anything yet? Been complete since July...

Is it basically an R if we haven’t heard anything yet? Been complete since July...
same. i feel like yes?? the website says their interview season ends on feb 15 so time is definitely running out imo.

are the interviews at this point for spots on the waitlist?

september and same.. Apparently April for everyone?
I am sympathizing with you guys . But this is good news for those who are interviewing late - me (next week). Because it might mean that they are waiting for the end of interviewing to make final decisions on everyone

Since they did say we would hear back in January, should we be expecting anything today — a question for my December people?!

Mate, Vermont's even slower than Drexel...

That’s why I “saved” my interview until Feb 15th...and by that I mean it was the only date available to sign up for. Should get a quick turn on mine. Hahaha

Anyone else interviewing on the 15th? I’m flying in on the 14th and making a long weekend of it due to no class the following Monday Feb 18th. Plan to explore Burlington, maybe ski Stowe, or traipse up to Montreal/Quebec if I can find someone to split the rental car with. Flying out early on the 18th.

I speak French, have a passport, and have already passed my Certifi background check at another school. Send me a DM if you’re interested!

Anyone else interviewing on the 15th? I’m flying in on the 14th and making a long weekend of it due to no class the following Monday Feb 18th. Plan to explore Burlington, maybe ski Stowe, or traipse up to Montreal/Quebec if I can find someone to split the rental car with. Flying out early on the 18th.

I speak French, have a passport, and have already passed my Certifi background check at another school. Send me a DM if you’re interested!
greyhounds from burlington to mtl are like $25 one way so you can totally make the trip without a rental car (beware though it's crazy icy over here)

greyhounds from burlington to mtl are like $25 one way so you can totally make the trip without a rental car (beware though it's crazy icy over here)

I appreciate the heads up. Can’t be worse than Fargo, and the grey hounds I have been on don’t normally ask me to drive. Maybe that’s a thing in Canada?

JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE!! * crying *

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone who recieved a strong interest letter been accepted yet? Or given a decision?

Got the A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interviewed 12/1. Non-trad. From Cali. LizzyM <70. First one, I am elated!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
got the "strongly interested email" interviewed 12/1 LM 73. What does this email mean?

Reactions: 2 users
got the "strongly interested email" interviewed 12/1 LM 73. What does this email mean?
I think it’s like a hold/deferral. Like hey, we like you but not enough to accept you right now, but we also don’t want to reject or waitlist you either.

Got an A to Vermont campus!! Interviewed early November. I’d gotten the strong interest email a while back too.

Reactions: 9 users
Waitlisted this morning, interviewed 1/9, OOS, chose the Connecticut campus

phew thank you! Thats a relief. It says to respond as soon as possible though - did you just email back and say yes? I got 40k/yr so I think the same one.

Anyone thats accepted automatically is considered for one. I received my email about two weeks after acceptance.

Did you submit your FAFSA before being offered the scholarship? If so, was it after you were accepted or before?

Does anyone know the date of their last interview?

I believe the 15th of Feb? Not totally sure though, maybe March.

But it sounds like those interviewing in February are still going to know their fate before some of us who interviewed in the Fall.......

I have an interview on 2/8, anyone knows if that's mostly for the waitlist at this point?