2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone! I just got an II as well, OOS and Lizzy M of 73 if y'all wanted to know my stats. For those who have already interviewed (or maybe are just better at reading than me), do you all know where the interview is? There isn't an address or anything. Is it just the office of admissions at the medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
Pleasantly surprised to have received an II just now. My LizzyM is about 68, and I am a non-traditional career changer candidate. There were two options in February.

Congrats to everyone! I just got an II as well, OOS and Lizzy M of 73 if y'all wanted to know my stats. For those who have already interviewed (or maybe are just better at reading than me), do you all know where the interview is? There isn't an address or anything. Is it just the office of admissions at the medical school?

Once you schedule the interview an option pops up on how to get to campus and where the interview is.

Pleasantly surprised to have received an II just now. My LizzyM is about 68, and I am a non-traditional career changer candidate. There were two options in February.

Once you schedule the interview an option pops up on how to get to campus and where the interview is.
Woot congrats. when was your complete date?

I also received an II this afternoon! OOS, LizzyM 68. Complete in early July and submitted an update about a month ago.

Looks like they are doing a second sweep of apps from the beginning to get some more eyes on the apps (since all of the IIs today seem to be early july). Hopefully late july comes soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Will February interviews have a lower chance of admission since it's so late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might be a dumb question, but I got an email that UVM has received my FAFSA, this has nothing to do with if I was accepted or not right?
Definitely nothing, because I received it too , and my interview is not till February

Has anyone who recieved the interest letter (post interview) in November been given a final decision?

Has anyone else not heard from the Adcom about financial aid post acceptance or is it just me??? :/

Just got an email from UVM. Interviewed early November.

I got an email saying that they're "strongly interested and would like to keep you under consideration".

I'm assuming that's being waitlisted?

I also received that e-mail. I am not sure if they have reviewed my application initially and have decided to defer a decision. I called admissions and they said to take the message at "face value."
"Face Value" sounds so cryptic.

I got an email saying that they're "strongly interested and would like to keep you under consideration".

Got this email a month or so ago--the consensus was that it's a deferral vs a waitlist. So slightly better!

No. That is between waitlist and accepted. I asked admissions and they were very direct about it. It’s accept vs waitlist. Congratulations!

Any recent IIs? Ive sent 2 updates this past month

Myself and a few others received IIs one week ago, Dec 14th. Most people posting about their IIs on this thread seem to have predominantly applied earlier in the cycle: June-August. I didn’t complete my application until November.

I don’t think it’s possible to make many conclusions about the process at Vermont based on these limited data points - other than to say that they did look at a broad subset of applicants for this most recent round of invites.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Myself and a few others received IIs one week ago, Dec 14th. Most people posting about their IIs on this thread seem to have predominantly applied earlier in the cycle: June-August. I didn’t complete my application until November.

I don’t think it’s possible to make many conclusions about the process at Vermont based on these limited data points - other than to say that they did look at a broad subset of applicants for this most recent round of invites.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh yeah I forgot about those. Seemed they were early July dates so they may be doing another sweep through. I was late July so lets hope this theory is true haha

Are we expecting in-state decisions tomorrow?
Anyone got a line on that?

Are we expecting in-state decisions tomorrow?
Anyone got a line on that?

IS applicant. Just received the following email:

"We wanted to give you an update on your status as an applicant to the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont. The Admissions Committee has been very impressed with your application, is strongly interested in you, and would like to keep you under consideration.

We will inform you when there are any further updates. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you."

Any news on your end (or any other IS applicants for that matter)?

Last edited:
In-state, waitlisted yesterday..

Did you receive a specific email or did you receive the same update email as MichaelScott943?
This is the email I received:
"At a recent meeting of the Committee on Admissions your complete application was carefully reviewed and we are pleased to inform you that your name has been placed on our waitlist of qualified/alternate candidates.

We will complete the interview and review process by the end of April 2019. Because we have a rolling admissions process, you may be accepted from the waitlist at any time during the admissions season. In the event that you are offered an acceptance you will be notified via email. Our waitlist season is open until the first day of orientation in August 2019."

Would a current (or former) UVM medical student mind shooting me a message? I have a few questions about the program and will most likely be matriculating next year.

Completed 7/16 but haven't heard anything. Do they still generally give out interviews into the spring?

Completed 7/16 but haven't heard anything. Do they still generally give out interviews into the spring?
I was also complete in July and haven't heard anything. Larner's website says, "Our interview season begins in August and continues through February. Our interview days are by invitation only and are scheduled on some week days and Saturdays."

So there's still some hope I suppose?

Has anyone who received a strongly interested email heard back with an acceptance/wait-list? I haven't heard anything since.

Is waitlist > strong interest or vice-versa?

I asked at my interview right before I left and was told that strong interest is between waitlist and acceptance.

Has anyone else touched base to verify that this is the case?

strong interests is better. A waitlists typically means we will look at you again later on in the cycle, most likely late winter/spring versus we are actively considering you at our meetings.

Strong interest people can still be accepted any time, but waitlist people need to wait until traffic day most likely

As far as the strong interest email goes, I would guess it's likely going to come down to how many spots they have available at each clinical campus/how many people commit to UVM before they start offering more acceptances.

Have any in-state applicants received an acceptance yet? So far I have only heard of waitlist and strong interest responses.

Can any current UVM medical students speak to the diversity of patients they see at UVM medical center? While I love Burlington, I recognize it's not the most diverse area and I wondered how this affects your training.

Thanks!

Also, can any current students explain why they chose one clinical campus over the other?

Also, can any current students explain why they chose one clinical campus over the other?

Can any current UVM medical students speak to the diversity of patients they see at UVM medical center? While I love Burlington, I recognize it's not the most diverse area and I wondered how this affects your training.

Thanks!

I'm not a medical student, but I am a current UVM undergraduate. While Vermont is not very diverse, Burlington comparatively is (more than you would think). The UVM Medical Center sees a lot of different patients, as does Fletcher Allen Healthcare, which has been my experience when shadowing there.

For campus selection, I picked the Vermont campus simply because I am more familiar with it. I have family in VT (and close to here), which helped me make a decision. On interview day, they made a point of stating that no one campus is better than the other in any way, and also 'preferring' a certain campus helps you get in more easily, so the option I picked was 'Prefer Vermont'.

Hope that helps! Good luck :)

^ Forgot to mention that CT is also the hub of a Global Health Program with electives you can take you're a fourth year/ summer electives for the first two years. You can also take it as a VT campus student, but you're closer to home at CT.

I have a few questions for current UVM students about the combination of 100% flipped classroom and complete P/F curriculum that I didn't catch on interview day.
How often are tests?
Are the tests professor based or NBME based?
Is it sufficient to just study something like Zanki + board prep books prior to going to class or is there more than that? ie are you primarily studying for boards or are you studying professor-specific materials?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 users