2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone be willing to let me PM you about your experience interviewing? I have one coming up and was hoping to get a feel for what the day is like

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone be willing to let me PM you about your experience interviewing? I have one coming up and was hoping to get a feel for what the day is like
It’s probably been noted before, but there is an NDA in place. Ideally, everyone who interviews should be on level footing, hence the NDA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they're still sending out IIs, or is it safe to assume the R and move on?

Anyone interviewing in In Jan/Feb thinking about sending an update with grades and such? I'm on the fence about sending it and not sure if I would send it pre or post interview.
I am interviewing first week of February and I sent an update . This way I will have a chance to send another update later to show continuing interest

Anyone who's been accepted... have you had any communication from UVM since the acceptance? Besides those of you who've gotten scholarships

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved interviewing yesterday. Did anyone by chance catch when we expect to hear back? Completely slipped my mind to ask

Anyone know how we can send admissions an update? I don't see info regarding updates anywhere.

Awesome. How did you send it? Via email? I don't see an option in the portal.
Yup, emailing them the update in PDF form. They will confirm once they have added it to your app.

Anyone who interviewed yesterday 1/9- have you received the email asking us to select a clinical campus? Anyone know when we can expect this?

Anyone who interviewed yesterday 1/9- have you received the email asking us to select a clinical campus? Anyone know when we can expect this?
I interviewed a few months ago and I received it about 3-5 days after the actual interview

I have a few questions for current UVM students about the combination of 100% flipped classroom and complete P/F curriculum that I didn't catch on interview day.
How often are tests?
Are the tests professor based or NBME based?
Is it sufficient to just study something like Zanki + board prep books prior to going to class or is there more than that? ie are you primarily studying for boards or are you studying professor-specific materials?

Thanks in advance!

Can a current UVM medical student please respond to these questions? Thanks!

Can a current UVM medical student please respond to these questions? Thanks!
Fourth year student here- I believe tests are just about every two weeks (the anatomy course you have in your first "semester" splits the practical and MCQ on separate days so Fri/Mon IIRC). Tests are professor-based, but all professors and course directors attempt to have board-style questions. I think there is a push to go to NBME exams; for example, the human development and reproductive health course you take in your second year has a course final exam and an NBME exam. However, several of our professors write questions for the boards so that is a plus!

I personally studied all lecture material and then supplemented with board review materials because my class was still honors/pass/fail and I wanted to cover my bases. I think current students do have to cover the lecture material due to the structure of the classes, but otherwise still use board review materials.

Anyone interviewing on The 18th want to carpool with me from Boston?

Anyone been sending "periodical" letters of continued interest from the waitlist/strong interest list? I don't want to overload them, I sent one right when I got the decision in November, about to send a brief one again, anyone doing it differently?

Anyone been sending "periodical" letters of continued interest from the waitlist/strong interest list? I don't want to overload them, I sent one right when I got the decision in November, about to send a brief one again, anyone doing it differently?
You can always call and ask Jamie. Otherwise, just do you. If you think that you have an update worth sharing, do so! If you don't have anything new to add, I wouldn't keep contacting them. However, that is entirely up to you!

Last edited:
Fourth year student here- I believe tests are just about every two weeks (the anatomy course you have in your first "semester" splits the practical and MCQ on separate days so Fri/Mon IIRC). Tests are professor-based, but all professors and course directors attempt to have board-style questions. I think there is a push to go to NBME exams; for example, the human development and reproductive health course you take in your second year has a course final exam and an NBME exam. However, several of our professors write questions for the boards so that is a plus!

I personally studied all lecture material and then supplemented with board review materials because my class was still honors/pass/fail and I wanted to cover my bases. I think current students do have to cover the lecture material due to the structure of the classes, but otherwise still use board review materials.

Not exactly the case anymore...

Exams are--on average--every three weeks. For your first semester each exam will consist of an anatomy portion and a multiple choice section +/- a dedicated histology portion. They will all be on the same day. After your first semester, they are every three weeks without anatomy, and with histopathology mixed in. Exams are from the professors, and you will also have an additional NBME final (i.e. in addition to your in-house final) for all courses now I believe (or at least most). The NBME typically counts for 10% of your final grade.

You could still just do outside resources if you wanted to, but I would certainly be aware of what is being taught in class/lecture, as they don't always line up, and you may have something in a course that you wouldn't normally expect to find there. We all use a mix of resources.

Reactions: 1 users
Not exactly the case anymore...

Exams are--on average--every three weeks. For your first semester each exam will consist of an anatomy portion and a multiple choice section +/- a dedicated histology portion. They will all be on the same day. After your first semester, they are every three weeks without anatomy, and with histopathology mixed in. Exams are from the professors, and you will also have an additional NBME final (i.e. in addition to your in-house final) for all courses now I believe (or at least most). The NBME typically counts for 10% of your final grade.

You could still just do outside resources if you wanted to, but I would certainly be aware of what is being taught in class/lecture, as they don't always line up, and you may have something in a course that you wouldn't normally expect to find there. We all use a mix of resources.

Good to hear they have transitioned back to same-day exams for anatomy! That's what I had in my first year and I can certainly say it helped with test stamina for Step 1/2.

Anyone who recieved the strong interest letter have any idea when we will hear back? Interviewed in October...

Anyone who recieved the strong interest letter have any idea when we will hear back? Interviewed in October...
interviewed in Sept and still haven't heard anything after that strong interest email. I would guess either this month or next month

Save to say my December folks haven’t heard back yet?

Actually, have any OOS December interviewees heard back yet? I know they said that in state would hear back in dec and out of state is suppose to hear back in January — also the strong interest emails, that basically means that if this was any other app cycle , before they made the changes with this one, you would’ve been accepted. But because of the current changes made by AMCAS, they didn’t want to over accept people and not have enough space — that’s what we were told by admin when someone asked.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have been complete since mid-October but I still have not heard anything yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?

Reactions: 7 users
So I have been complete since mid-October but I still have not heard anything yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?
Been complete since July and still nothing

Reactions: 7 users
Completed in July and just got II recently so I think they are doing a second pass

Reactions: 12 users
Actually, have any OOS December interviewees heard back yet? I know they said that in state would hear back in dec and out of state is suppose to hear back in January — also the strong interest emails, that basically means that if this was any other app cycle , before they made the changes with this one, you would’ve been accepted. But because of the current changes made by AMCAS, they didn’t want to over accept people and not have enough space — that’s what we were told by admin when someone asked.

Did they really say that? It's definitely tough knowing you'd be in if the AAMC hadn't changed the system.