2018-2019 University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are anybody else's letters marked as not received?

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current med students comment about how much time you're required to be on campus as a student?

Are there a lot of required lectures or group sessions? If so, how much time do these activities typically eat up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current med students comment about how much time you're required to be on campus as a student?

Are there a lot of required lectures or group sessions? If so, how much time do these activities typically eat up?

The majority of lectures are not required, as many students choose to lecture capture. Besides lecture, PaCE cases are 2x/week for about 3-4 hours, Medium Groups ~4 hours/week, Anatomy Lab/Clinical Skills/Preceptorship ~3 hours/week. Your schedule will vary, but this is the average weekly time commitment.

IS applicant and just submitted! Was wavering on whether it was a waste of time because their stats are so high but figured I owed it to myself as an instate applicant. Good luck to everyone this cycle! This school is the absolute dream <3

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard anything back? i saw on the last year's thread that a bunch of people were rejected by now and that the first II went out around sep 6.. but it has been super quiet here

received a complete email today
secondary submitted 8/19
IS residency verification still pending

For WARM applicants awaiting a secondary. Here are the prompts. The optional essay question for the regular MD program is also included in the WARM application.

Also, 6 LORs are required. Two from "community leaders" aka those who can comment on your rural potential. As stated in the WARM guide, "Two letters of recommendation specifically for WARM are required in addition to the 4 letters required for the secondary application. The two WARM letters should be from people who know you well and can attest to your personal characteristics and rural potential. Examples of letter writers might be former teachers or coaches, clergy, physicians whom you have shadowed, people with whom you have worked or volunteered, etc. Six letters are required total. All letters of recommendation must be submitted through AMCAS."

WARM essay questions:

Question 1:
Please describe the rural community in which you have lived and indicate how long you lived there. If you have never lived in, or have spent limited time in a rural community, please explain why you are interested in living in and practicing medicine in a rural area. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Question 2:
Describe your ties and contributions to rural Wisconsin—family, community groups, activities, and/or volunteer efforts. Please list activities from high school to the present that have not already been included in your AMCAS application. How have all of your activities shaped your desire to live and work in rural Wisconsin?
If you are applying as a nonresident of Wisconsin, describe your ties and contributions to rural life in your state. Additionally, please describe your interest and commitment to practicing medicine in rural Wisconsin. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Question 3:
Describe your personal support system and their influence on your choosing to live and practice in a rural community. This might include family, a spouse/significant other, friends, mentors, and other important people in your life. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Question 4:
Describe your understanding of issues/challenges facing rural life now or in the future (such as rural health care issues, rural economy, educational access and opportunities, land use and environmental management, etc.) and explain how any personal experiences with any of these or other issues have influenced your desire to practice medicine in a rural community. You may also elaborate on any rural health care experiences or shadowing which you have previously listed. (Limit response to 500 words.)

I am quite confused with the life activities section. Are we supposed to copy and paste info from AMCAS or do we need to come up with another set of description?

I am quite confused with the life activities section. Are we supposed to copy and paste info from AMCAS or do we need to come up with another set of description?

I copied and pasted. They say that their life activities section creates a helpful bar graph for them so that’s why they want you to add your activities from the AMCAS section to their app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other in state applicants having difficulty verifying their residency? I've been waiting for them to contact me to prove that I live in Wisco since August 19, and apps aren't marked as complete until residency verification finishes. Hoping I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Any other in state applicants having difficulty verifying their residency? I've been waiting for them to contact me to prove that I live in Wisco since August 19, and apps aren't marked as complete until residency verification finishes. Hoping I'm not the only one in this predicament.

At the confirmation page, click on ' WI Residency Determination by UW Registrar's Office' and it will link you to the form to fill out your information. They will not contact you; the form is there for you to fill out. You need a lot of weird parental information, so be prepared. The form does not let you go back to previous fields which is a real pain.

If i submitted my secondary on 8/22 and I still have the incomplete mark for letters received, should I call? my letters were received by all other schools awhile ago. anyone else having this issue?

If i submitted my secondary on 8/22 and I still have the incomplete mark for letters received, should I call? my letters were received by all other schools awhile ago. anyone else having this issue?

Yes, I submitted mine on the 24th and still am incomplete. I am thinking of contacting them by the end of this week if I am still not complete by then. The portal said it will take 7-10 business days to process. Yours just hit the 7 day mark but Monday was a holiday so maybe give them 1 or 2 more days before calling.

Reactions: 1 user
Just edited my post. The portal says 7-10 business days for them to process. So you might want to give them until the end of this week before you start calling.

II today! IS, LM = 77. They set up a date for your interview.

Reactions: 1 users
At the confirmation page, click on ' WI Residency Determination by UW Registrar's Office' and it will link you to the form to fill out your information. They will not contact you; the form is there for you to fill out. You need a lot of weird parental information, so be prepared. The form does not let you go back to previous fields which is a real pain.
I filled it out and was then told to wait for them to contact me regarding my residency, as I guess they don't believe me.

Today I got a new e-mail saying they've finally approved me as an in state student after a couple of direct emails and responses (even though I've lived here all my life), but I may have to continually re-demonstrate this in the future. It seems like I'm having an issue because my family moved out of state a couple years ago, even though I've remained in Wisconsin. Pretty frustrating and kind of pointless in my opinion.

I filled it out and was then told to wait for them to contact me regarding my residency, as I guess they don't believe me.

Today I got a new e-mail saying they've finally approved me as an in state student after a couple of direct emails and responses (even though I've lived here all my life), but I may have to continually re-demonstrate this in the future. It seems like I'm having an issue because my family moved out of state a couple years ago, even though I've remained in Wisconsin. Pretty frustrating and kind of pointless in my opinion.

Oh, I see. I'm sorry for that. I know someone who had their residency form delayed significantly but got an II at a reasonable spot in the cycle, so best of luck!

Got the complete email this morning. I hope you did too.

I am hoping more II will be sent this week! IS and this is definitely one of my top choices!

I am hoping more II will be sent this week! IS and this is definitely one of my top choices!
If you are in state and already have a few interviews I wouldn't worry too much. They'll see the same qualities that got you the other interviews and UW loooovvvveeesss their in state students. I was also starting to lose hope but then I just got mine! Don't forget that they are a little bit behind other schools because of the delay for submitting IS secondaries.

PHEW so glad to see the application completed email in my inbox today. would be very happy to get a chance of being a badger for another 4 years!

Congratulations to everyone with an interview, and best of luck to those of you still patiently waiting! Our interview season typically runs through February, and interview invites have been sent out as late as December (and possibly even later).

We are very excited and look forward to having you visit us on interview day!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone with an interview, and best of luck to those of you still patiently waiting! Our interview season typically runs through February, and interview invites have been sent out as late as December (and possibly even later).

We are very excited and look forward to having you visit us on interview day!
Hi! Do you have any info on how many out of state invites have been sent out already?

*Questions for current medical students here. Do any of you know more information about the TRIUMPH program (Urban Medicine)? Thanks!

Just got the post-secondary R! No Madison I guess.

*Questions for current medical students here. Do any of you know more information about the TRIUMPH program (Urban Medicine)? Thanks!

Do you have any specific questions? They give out a hand out at interview day but if there's anything specific you want to know, I can try to answer. I'm an M1 and happy to answer other questions as well.

Rejected post secondary today. OOS. Interviewed here in the past. Sad to see one of my top 3 schools fade in the rear-view mirror.

Any IS rejections or just OS so far?

IS rejection today. Feels like a sack of bricks on my heart. Have had an interview elsewhere and one coming up so very grateful for that, but I'm sad to leave home if accepted elsewhere.

IS rejection today. Feels like a sack of bricks on my heart. Have had an interview elsewhere and one coming up so very grateful for that, but I'm sad to leave home if accepted elsewhere.
Sorry to hear. Were you complete 8/19?

So sorry to hear, that's a real punch in the gut :( Would you mind sharing your stats? I wouldn't mind figuring out if they have a cut off.

I don't think we have a hard stats cut off at all. At least in my experience and talking to others, it seems to be a lot more than stats. They didn't talk about our stats at all, like when speaking about our class, but they like to talk about variation in majors, life experiences, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
UW seems very holistic with their review! I’m sorry sdharam! It’s tough we just have to have faith that we will end up where we are meant to be. ☺️ Patience waiting for an answer is tough for me lol.

So have they started sending in-state II for the regular MD program yet?