2018-2019 University of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if I want to withdraw from my acceptance how I go about doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else NOT received their financial aid package yet? Everyone I've spoken with has received their's besides me

Members don't see this ad :)
Made the very hard decision to withdraw my acceptance from here today. Early congrats to the lucky person who gets my COA scholarship, and good luck to all on the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
Any waitlisters hear back yet? It looks like UW's waitlist movement began on April 30th last year per the SDN thread.

Any waitlisters hear back yet? It looks like UW's waitlist movement began on April 30th last year per the SDN thread.
Nope. I’m assuming sometime this week there will be movement as they have to process it.

Any idea how much movement there typically is for OOS waitlist?

I don’t know where I’ve seen it but there was one year it went up to ~15 for OOS but I guess that was a rare occurrence. Usually ~5 for OOS. One can only hope

I don’t know where I’ve seen it but there was one year it went up to ~15 for OOS but I guess that was a rare occurrence. Usually ~5 for OOS. One can only hope
Let’s average it and hope for ~10 this year haha

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew IS acceptance yesterday. Such a difficult decision. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any news from any waitlisters? Also does anyone know if they would call or send an email if we were offered a spot off the waitlist? Lastly, when should we lose hope haha Idk when I should start looking for housing options for my in state medical school. Thanks!

Any news from any waitlisters? Also does anyone know if they would call or send an email if we were offered a spot off the waitlist? Lastly, when should we lose hope haha Idk when I should start looking for housing options for my in state medical school. Thanks!
Based on the tweet that @UWiscMedAdmiss sent out on the 1st, it seems that there may have been some confusion with the new traffic rules that is causing delay. Then again, I may just be reading into it too much...

This is a copy/paste of the tweet: "Current applicants, if you have committed to enroll at a medical school, your application at other schools must be withdrawn and you must send those schools an email to withdraw. Wait list applicants are counting on you. #AMCAS #MedSchool"

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed admissions asking if they anticipate any waitlist movement this week, and they told me they think movement will occur anytime between mid-May and late-June. She said they don't have a definite timeline at all and everything is really delayed due to the new AMCAS rules. It sounds like the med schools are just as confused and frustrated with the new rules as we are, and we just have to be patient until they work everything out.

Just wanted to let y'all know in case you were panicking/refreshing this page a lot like I was!

Reactions: 2 users
Would this be a bad time to see if our ranked waitlist number has dropped?

Would this be a bad time to see if our ranked waitlist number has dropped?
I think its totally fine to reach out to them and ask, but try not to get too excited because it doesn't look like any movement has happened yet.

Last edited:
Let us know if your rank changed at all, appreciate it!
I reached out, IS rank improved by 1 spot. I have no idea if someone just dropped off the waitlist, or if they actually accepted one student off the list.

Okay guys. I got some bad news but I’m hoping this person is wrong! So I got the email back and this is what was said.

“Dear Ivan,

We have not had admissions off the alternate lists for regular MD, we have had individuals withdraw their alternate list spots.

We do not know when or if we will be moving to the alternate list this year. If we do go to the list we believe the movement will be most likely in June this year.

Best,

Becky Duffy
MD Admissions Advisor”

This just breaks my heart. :(

• Sad
Okay guys. I got some bad news but I’m hoping this person is wrong! So I got the email back and this is what was said.

“Dear Ivan,

We have not had admissions off the alternate lists for regular MD, we have had individuals withdraw their alternate list spots.

We do not know when or if we will be moving to the alternate list this year. If we do go to the list we believe the movement will be most likely in June this year.

Best,

Becky Duffy
MD Admissions Advisor”

This just breaks my heart. :(
With the new traffic rules, it seems like WL movement will happen school by school, after each individual school's CTE deadline has passed. Most have a CTE deadline of July 15th (ouch I know). UW's CTE deadline is June 1st.

Does anyone have or know where to find Madison’s match lists?

Does anyone have or know where to find Madison’s match lists?

In OASIS if you’ve been accepted. Otherwise I do not know whether they publish them externally.

Has anyone tried contacting admissions about getting an extension on the CTE deadline? It's June 1st which is way sooner than the deadlines for where I'm waitlisted.

I think each school has their own CTE deadlines. It would be pushing it if you ask for an extension since they have been trying to solidify their class and possibly move on to the waitlist. Doesn’t hurt to ask though.

Any news from my waitlisters both IS and OOS?

Now that the CTE deadline has passed... any waitlist news?

Maybe if we all bombard them with emails and calls asking what is going on they'll have to stop skirting around it

They finally called me back. They haven’t taken anyone from the waitlist yet. They were kind of vague but said this year has been really weird and they may not expect to take anyone off the waitlist until after other schools CTE deadlines in mid-July.

Awful I know.

They finally called me back. They haven’t taken anyone from the waitlist yet. They were kind of vague but said this year has been really weird and they may not expect to take anyone off the waitlist until after other schools CTE deadlines in mid-July.

Awful I know.
How optimistic did they seem that any movement would occur at all?

Awful I know.
So if we're accepted to another school that has a CTE in July, we would probably have to pull off of this waitlist before it even moves? That's a bummer :/

I just spoke to the admissions office and they are not anticipating going to the waitlist at all this year :'(

I just spoke to the admissions office and they are not anticipating going to the waitlist at all this year :'(
That’s rough. My interviewer at this school said to my face “we need more doctors like you!” Proceeded to send me that thicc R.

Its tough, but this late in the game, with just about every school's CTE date past, I was starting to expect it. I'm extremely disappointed... When I saw my waitlist position I was all but sure that I would be accepted... but I guess this will allow me the piece of mind that I'm not wasting my time when I work on my reapplication secondaries.

@dudeinflames same feeling here, I think my hope had slowly dwindled to zero over the past couple months anyways. It’s devastating nonetheless. I’m glad you’re already diving into your reapps though, good luck, you seem like a highly motivated person and I’m sure you’ll do well this cycle.

Yes, that is true- many applicants (regardless of IS status) with above average-high stats have been rejected. There's not really much we can do if we don't have any connections.... but this is where the holistic review process comes in- has an applicant had any unique life experiences that make them stand out from the thousands of other academically strong candidates? Any hardships that have influenced your desire to pursue medicine. Be sure to include this in your secondary if you haven't already done so in your primary. Additionally, you may want to talk about what attracts you to Madison/UW-SMPH (research opportunities, desire to work with under served populations through TRIUMPH/WARM programs, etc) and how you could contribute.

I sure would think so! Even better if the research was medical related and conducted at WIMR/UW Hospital, or somewhere on the medical campus. You may want to consider a LOR from your PI!

Hope this helps!
So sorry that this is such a late reply to your post, but i am thinking of applying but worried about ties to state. Would my grandfather attending this school way back when be considered a tie to the state?