2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. Submitted secondary 07/18. OOS. MCAT 513

Reactions: 1 user
Im sorry to hear that man; the bright side is that you have one less school to worry about.

did they send you an email?
They sent an email that said my application status changed and the rejection was on the portal.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing their secondary website? I just submitted my secondary ~1 hour ago (I think, I didn't receive a confirmation) and when I try to click the link to pay for it, I just get a white screen. I tried logging in again and I was just getting an error message. Is this just me?

Is there anyone else that submitted the first week of July (July 2nd to 6th) that still has this as their status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application."? really hoping to hear some good news from one of my top schools!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else not able to pay? When I try click pay supplemental fee the page just times out.

Anyone else not able to pay? When I try click pay supplemental fee the page just times out.

I've had some issues with their portal. I always have to quit out of the page and relog back in and it typically fixes my issue, but I didn't have any problems with paying the supplemental fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble accessing their secondary website? I just submitted my secondary ~1 hour ago (I think, I didn't receive a confirmation) and when I try to click the link to pay for it, I just get a white screen. I tried logging in again and I was just getting an error message. Is this just me?
White screen happened to me, but is working now. Submitted payment this morning and secondary last night.

Is there anyone else that submitted the first week of July (July 2nd to 6th) that still has this as their status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application."? really hoping to hear some good news from one of my top schools!!
July 7th but ya ditto. Checking my portal and email like it's my job.

I cursorily looked at II's in the forum for last year and it appears the first batch was delivered via phone. Much earlier in July than now, also..

Reactions: 1 users
July 7th but ya ditto. Checking my portal and email like it's my job.

I cursorily looked at II's in the forum for last year and it appears the first batch was delivered via phone. Much earlier in July than now, also..
They didn't send out an email about it last year?

They didn't send out an email about it last year?
Actually, it looks like fmSTAT applicants got calls but others had a tab pop up on the portal, potentially concomitant with an email regarding a status update. Those began late July (now-ish); however, they had a "Very interested in your candidacy" status indicative of an upcoming II at this time in the season. They may not be using the "very interested" message this cycle, though, as it created a lot of anxiety last year...

Last edited:
IS people... do you remember how you indicated you are in state? I had to prove my residency for UVA and EVMS, but not for VCU. I can't access my application but want to make sure i'm considered in-state. Does anyone have any insight into this?

IS people... do you remember how you indicated you are in state? I had to prove my residency for UVA and EVMS, but not for VCU. I can't access my application but want to make sure i'm considered in-state. Does anyone have any insight into this?
i think the adcom mentioned something about this in last years thread. I’m on my phone now otherwise I’d find it myself and quote it.

i think the adcom mentioned something about this in last years thread. I’m on my phone now otherwise I’d find it myself and quote it.
Maybe it's different since it would not affect private tuition, but VTC didn't require any verifying documents either.

Actually, it looks like fmSTAT applicants got calls but others had a tab pop up on the portal, potentially concomitant with an email regarding a status update. Those began late July (now-ish); however, they had a "Very interested in your candidacy" status indicative of an upcoming II at this time in the season. They may not be using the "very interested" message this cycle, though, as it created a lot of anxiety last year...

Oh that’s interesting; I thought I had just been put on hold indefinitely haha cause I got the message saying “If you’re invited for an interview...”

Oh that’s interesting; I thought I had just been put on hold indefinitely haha cause I got the message saying “If you’re invited for an interview...”
Do you know when you got that message?

I never got an update email, but just saw it when I logged into the portal so maybe ~2 weeks ago. Anyone else in the same boat?
I've had the same status for about the same time now too

I got an email yesterday saying my portal status had changed. Couldn’t check it for a while though because I didn’t have a computer handy and the portal apparently doesn’t work on mobile haha but got an II !! IS, LM ~73

Reactions: 4 users
I got an email yesterday saying my portal status had changed. Couldn’t check it for a while though because I didn’t have a computer handy and the portal apparently doesn’t work on mobile haha but got an II !! IS, LM ~73

Comgrats! Would you mind sharing what your mcat score was?

Always a reminder, try to include IS/OOS and complete date to help us out! Stats too if you’re okay with it :)

Congrats to those who receive II’s!!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! Did you happen to notice what your status was before the II?

Congrats! Did you happen to notice what your status was before the II?
Hm when I checked a few days ago it hadn’t changed from the initial your application is complete and ready for review message I believe

Is there supposed to be a big wave of II's here or do they just casually invite a handful of people at a time?

Is there supposed to be a big wave of II's here or do they just casually invite a handful of people at a time?
This school operates on waves for everything with little trickles here and there

Any idea of when this wave will happen or if it already has?
Not sure. I think someone already got an II though so maybe it's already started. In terms of acceptances though, people will only find out on certain days

Just got this message on my portal:
"Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

For those that have also had a similar message, how long did it take between this message appearing and then a rejection or interview invite?

Just got this message on my portal:
"Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

For those that have also had a similar message, how long did it take between this message appearing and then a rejection or interview invite?

I have had that same message since July 12. No change in status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had that same message since July 12. No change in status.

Oh joy :nailbiting: I've had the "A Subcommittee will now do a review of your application" since about July 10th or so and got the above message just today! Not fun waiting on another status update :p

Oh joy :nailbiting: I've had the "A Subcommittee will now do a review of your application" since about July 10th or so and got the above message just today! Not fun waiting on another status update :p

I’m hoping this isn’t a hold/ pre II waitlist of some sort... either way good luck heads up

I’m hoping this isn’t a hold/ pre II waitlist of some sort... either way good luck heads up

Wait, you have that as a pre-secondary waitlist? I turned in my secondary 3 or so weeks ago - I'm worried this is a rejection waitlist :(

Complete on Friday, rejected on Monday lol good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, what were your stats? OOS/IS?
OOS (no ties), compared to the school's stats average GPA and slightly above average MCAT

First rejection from VCU today too. So bummed. And it came less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary which is really scary...wondering what the glaring red flag is I need to address. Non-trad, ug gpa 3.38, grad 3.74, pre-med post-bacc 4.0, mcat 512, in state. Good luck to those still in the running here!

First rejection from VCU today too. So bummed. And it came less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary which is really scary...wondering what the glaring red flag is I need to address. Non-trad, ug gpa 3.38, grad 3.74, pre-med post-bacc 4.0, mcat 512, in state. Good luck to those still in the running here!
It's most likely your gpa. Grad school gpa don't count for med schools and I'm pretty sure this school has a cutoff around 3.5 but I could be wrong. Good luck in the rest of the cycle though!

It's most likely your gpa. Grad school gpa don't count for med schools and I'm pretty sure this school has a cutoff around 3.5 but I could be wrong. Good luck in the rest of the cycle though!
Yeah but then why give out the secondary? :(

Yeah but then why give out the secondary? :(
Good question. I've heard a few variations of this story. 1)There's a chance that they don't really look at gpa and focus on other redeeming qualities like service and thus give people a secondary 2) whoever looked at his file focused on the holistic nature of the app but once it hit committee level (aka app is complete) the committee was like nah man 3) they do another stat screen for applicants after they're complete in case they missed someone the first time around or 4) OP had some other flag on his app that couldn't be saved via mcat, ecs etc