2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who interviewed 12/11-13 still have the "Your interview is now complete" status?

Members don't see this ad.

It is really hard not to take this personally...like in feel there is legitimately something wrong with me especially since I have interviewed here twice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is really hard not to take this personally...like in feel there is legitimately something wrong with me especially since I have interviewed here twice.

This process is long and grueling and painful, but you always gotta remember that there is nothing wrong with you. I don't know you, but you've gotten this far, and at the very least, you are an intelligent, driven, and kind person.

That might sound incredibly flippant and glib coming from someone who was just (supposedly??) accepted to this school, but what you don't know is that I interviewed at VCU three times before I was accepted. The first two times, I thought I did well and walked away thinking I had just clinched an acceptance, but obviously, I didn't get in. So, I get it. I blamed myself too. But it's not gonna serve you well through this cycle, and placing all that blame on your own shoulders is going to be too much to carry. Just throw yourself into whatever you're doing now, whether that's work, volunteering, school, whatever, keep grinding, and wait for February.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone who was just accepted! Was anyone accepted this round after being passed up October 16th ?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone who interviewed 12/11-13 still have the "Your interview is now complete" status?

Yes I interviewed that week and my status has not changed. Did anyone who interviewed that week get an offer?

Yes I interviewed that week and my status has not changed. Did anyone who interviewed that week get an offer?
I interviewed 12/13 and I got an update saying my application was placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. Could someone please explain what exactly that means?

I interviewed 12/13 and I got an update saying my application was placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. Could someone please explain what exactly that means?

It means the committee has ranked you well enough to not be rejected immediately. So now its a waiting game to see if you have a high enough score to qualify for an acceptance in one of the 4 acceptance waves.

Reactions: 1 user
It means the committee has ranked you well enough to not be rejected immediately. So now its a waiting game to see if you have a high enough score to qualify for an acceptance in one of the 4 acceptance waves.
Do people actually get post II rejections? Or is everyone placed on hold?

Do people actually get post II rejections? Or is everyone placed on hold?

I don't think anyone here has posted about a post II rejection, they mentioned it does happen at the interview though. However, I think with the new AMCAS acceptance report rule that they might put a lot more people on the waitlist instead of just rejecting them immediately.

Has anyone that got new tabs yesterday gotten the official portal update/ email yet? I’m dying to tell my parents but I don’t want to be premature about it.

Has anyone that got new tabs yesterday gotten the official portal update/ email yet? I’m dying to tell my parents but I don’t want to be premature about it.

Nothing here yet either... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all applicants that have interviewed were able to make it through committee yesterday. The committee met for a very long time yesterday and did its best to vote on as many candidates as possible, but the snow storm made the backlog just too big to tackle.
No worries, a good score yesterday is equally as good as a good score tomorrow. It may not make the waiting easier, but it will not change the outcome.

As a frequent visitor to the VCU thread for the past two years, if you got tabs, I really think it’s safe to say you got in :)

@Dean Mission When can those who got new tabs yesterday expect a more "concrete" notification of acceptance? I'm really just looking for a "Congratulations, you're in!" type update either by email or portal so I can believe this is really happening ;)

Then what was the point of Dean Mission's quote?
He’s saying if you score well on Dec 17 versus Jan 7, you’re due for good news at one point or another :p. A good score is a good score regardless of when you’re reviewed, because only 25% of the class is accepted each offer date.

@Dean Mission When can those who got new tabs yesterday expect a more "concrete" notification of acceptance? I'm really just looking for a "Congratulations, you're in!" type update either by email or portal so I can believe this is really happening ;)
It depends on when your status was entered in. If it was after 6 PM yesterday, which for some it was, then it will not be until at least this evening.

Congratulations!

Tomorrow is figurative, not actual.

Next set of offers is February 1.

He’s saying if you score well on Dec 17 versus Jan 7, you’re due for good news at one point or another :p. A good score is a good score regardless of when you’re reviewed, because only 25% of the class is accepted each offer date.

Ahhhh gotcha. Well here's hoping that we all can get some good scores. :shy::shy::shy:

@Dean Mission can you give an update as to how many, if any, interview slots are open and when more invites should be sent out?

@Dean Mission I was wondering if you knew about a rough estimate as to how many offers VCU sends out from its waitlist, and whether that number may differ this year due to policy changes?

I don't think anyone here has posted about a post II rejection, they mentioned it does happen at the interview though. However, I think with the new AMCAS acceptance report rule that they might put a lot more people on the waitlist instead of just rejecting them immediately.
There have definitely been a few post-II rejections mentioned on here - some people have to get 4s and 5s.

@Dean Mission can you give an update as to how many, if any, interview slots are open and when more invites should be sent out?
There are very few slots available currently, but that should change as the churn of offers are made across the country and those already scheduled to come cancel.

@Dean Mission I was wondering if you knew about a rough estimate as to how many offers VCU sends out from its waitlist, and whether that number may differ this year due to policy changes?
I cannot hazard an educated guess about the way things will go down this year. My gut tells me that more offers will need to be made than in the past, which is at least a 50/50 proposition historically.

Reactions: 3 users
Received an MD/PhD acceptance here. Got a phone call on 12/11 but the portal was updated on 12/16. I really liked this school. Super laid back and relaxed students and beautiful facilities.

There are very few slots available currently, but that should change as the churn of offers are made across the country and those already scheduled to come cancel.

I cannot hazard an educated guess about the way things will go down this year. My gut tells me that more offers will need to be made than in the past, which is at least a 50/50 proposition historically.

@Dean Mission Are there less acceptances that may be offered to IS in this second half of the cycle? Or does the 50/50 split apply to both IS and OOS?

Would you be able to tell us which interview dates were unfortunately unable to be reviewed by committee for potential acceptance (12/16), or was the review done in a random manner?
If you didn't get the portal message saying your app has been reviewed I would assume that you have not been reviewed yet. Otherwise any other update would mean that you have

Out of neurotic curiosity, how many of the chosen ones out there happen to be OOS applicants? Asking for a friend who REALLY wants to stay in VA but is technically OOS.

Out of neurotic curiosity, how many of the chosen ones out there happen to be OOS applicants? Asking for a friend who REALLY wants to stay in VA but is technically OOS.

+1 OOS from the first acceptance wave

Received an II today. I’ll be declining it, but they gave 6 interview dates in January! I was complete back in August.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know if/when you were given the "file review is now complete" status?
Still have it currently. I don't remember exactly when it occurred since I don't think I received an email, but I remember when I used to check the portal I thought I saw that in August (but I could be mistaken).

Got an email saying theres been an update to my portal. Checked my portal and it says my file is now under review, thought it’d been under review for months... I was complete in like late July/ early August. Is this normal?

Got an email saying theres been an update to my portal. Checked my portal and it says my file is now under review, thought it’d been under review for months... I was complete in like late July/ early August. Is this normal?
What exactly does it say? Does it say the sub committee will now do a review?

What exactly does it say? Does it say the sub committee will now do a review?

It actually says file review is now complete. I will be notified if I’m granted an interview. Misread it because I think I was expecting to either see a II or R.

Last edited:
Trying to remember what was suggested at interview day... if I have a few substantial updates to send VCU do I send them directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook? Does VCU note accept updates post II at all? Interviewed back in September so it's been a decent amount of time since they have heard from me.

Trying to remember what was suggested at interview day... if I have a few substantial updates to send VCU do I send them directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook? Does VCU note accept updates post II at all? Interviewed back in September so it's been a decent amount of time since they have heard from me.

VCU welcomes significant updates post II! I just sent mine in an email directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook. Good luck :)

Congrats to everyone who was accepted this round! I wanted to drop a few tidbits of information:

1. If you are IS, you should get an email with the in-state eligibility tuition form in a couple weeks (I got mine about 3-4 weeks after sending in my deposit).

2. Do NOT forget to submit your deposit and hold your seat!! Out of excitement, I almost forgot to do this pretty crucial step in the admissions process. Luckily, I received a portal message at the 2 week mark and I submitted my deposit a mere few hours before the deadline.

3. Welcome to the RAMily :)

Did any Nov 29th interviewees get in? I'm wondering if we were a part of the interviewed backlogged people the committee didn't get a chance to look at.

I got an email on 12/20 saying that there was an update to my application status, but when I checked the portal the status was that "Your file review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal."

does this just mean that they notified me to let me know that they have seen/reviewed it but haven't decided yet if I am granted an interview? or if I haven't heard yet does that mean that I may be rejected? wondering if others are in the same boat as I am right now!

I got an email on 12/20 saying that there was an update to my application status, but when I checked the portal the status was that "Your file review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal."

does this just mean that they notified me to let me know that they have seen/reviewed it but haven't decided yet if I am granted an interview? or if I haven't heard yet does that mean that I may be rejected? wondering if others are in the same boat as I am right now!

Yep they have looked at your application and now you might be considered for an interview.

Is there any conclusion if the "Your file review is complete" update means anything? Did those who were rejected pre-II get this too?

Is there any conclusion if the "Your file review is complete" update means anything? Did those who were rejected pre-II get this too?
It means that you may or may not be considered for interview. From what I remember, this is contingent on how many interview slots are available and how high you are on the priority list. When I applied, I received this message early October, and a few days later received a message that said something along the lines of “we’ve very interested in interviewing you”. Didn’t hear back from them after that until the spring for an II. There were people who sat on this message (without the “very interested” message) for weeks or months and then suddenly got an II. What I can tell you for sure it that this message is NOT a silent rejection.

Happy New Years!